NATION

PASSWORD

College Majors

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What area(s) did your study/studies fall in?

Business
10%
Engineering
9%
Medicine
7%
Education
3%
Natural Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, etc)
11%
Social Science (Sociology, Linguistics, etc)
21%
Humanities (Literature, Philosophy, etc)
17%
Arts
9%
Categories I missed
8%
Poverty
4%

Total votes : 107

Efelmoren
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

College Majors

Postby Efelmoren » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Pretty straight-forward: what was/is your major(s), minor(s), certificate(s), etc. and why?

I'm majoring in linguistics and Germanic Languages and Literature and getting a certificate in Medieval and Renaissance Studies (MRST) at the University of Pittsburgh.

I love languages and language. I got interested in conlanging from Tolkien and language in general from that. Pitt requires that you have another major, a minor, a certificate, or a "related area" if you're in Arts &Sciences, so since I had 4 years of German in high school and really love the language, I chose that as a second major. The MRST was just because I had taken enough classes that counted to it, I said "why not?"

Sorry if this has been done, I don't think it has been, to my memory.
Last edited by Efelmoren on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: College Majors

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:28 pm

explain a certificate.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Sarkhaan
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarkhaan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:32 pm

English literature with a focus in secondary education

Efelmoren
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Efelmoren » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:33 pm

greed and death wrote:explain a certificate.

It's something Pitt has, I don't know how many other schools have it. It's basically a mini-minor, even though it's only 3 or 4 credits less than a minor. You're usually required to submit work from some of the classes you took toward the certificate and to write a paper about what you learned and how the classes you took worked together in the theme of the certificate to the office. Also, you can add certificates at the last minute, as you're applying for graduation; you can't do that with a minor at Pitt.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:33 pm

Classics.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Kusatsu
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kusatsu » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:33 pm

Which of those categories does "Political Science" fall under?
Proud Member of the Corporate Fascist Party
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10701&start=0

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:33 pm

Illustration/Graphic Design, possible minor in English or writing of some sort was planned eventually. Now if only I could manage to get BACK to school to finish it. >_<

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:34 pm

Efelmoren wrote:
greed and death wrote:explain a certificate.

It's something Pitt has, I don't know how many other schools have it. It's basically a mini-minor, even though it's only 3 or 4 credits less than a minor. You're usually required to submit work from some of the classes you took toward the certificate and to write a paper about what you learned and how the classes you took worked together in the theme of the certificate to the office. Also, you can add certificates at the last minute, as you're applying for graduation; you can't do that with a minor at Pitt.

Ahh thats nice. Id still prefer the full minor. but i am trying to leech a s much college money form the government as possible.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Efelmoren
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Efelmoren » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:34 pm

Kusatsu wrote:Which of those categories does "Political Science" fall under?

I would say social science.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:34 pm

Well I study economics, so I selected social science.

Efelmoren
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Efelmoren » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:34 pm

I thought I could add education to the poll without messing it up, but that didn't work. My apologies.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:36 pm

History major Poli Sci minor.
Barack Obama

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:36 pm

"Arts." I know, I know, "stop leeching on our tax money you parasite, study a real course", I've heard it all before.
Signatures are for losers.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Saint Clair Island wrote:"Arts." I know, I know, "stop leeching on our tax money you parasite, study a real course", I've heard it all before.

Your avatar is awesome.

Pure Metal
Envoy

Founded: Apr 07, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Pure Metal » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:37 pm

we don't do majors and minors here, but i took Economics BSCEcon, which had a bit of a slant in business management as well. then Politics BSc.... so both social sciences, i guess.

i didn't finish either though :blush: maybe i will someday, maybe philosophy, or PPE.
Last edited by Pure Metal on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
+19,376ish posts
Economic Left/Right: -9.13 :: Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.82
Moral Order: -5 :: Moral Rules: +6.5
www.hljphotography.co.uk :: www.planetrock.com

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Saint Clair Island wrote:"Arts." I know, I know, "stop leeching on our tax money you parasite, study a real course", I've heard it all before.

No be a great artist. Ask Zeus for his inspired wisdom.
Barack Obama

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:39 pm

I originally went in for Education, but fears of not being able to find employment made me switch Majors...

So I was going to go into Medicine after I got a large bill from the Hospital, :D ...

However, I dropped Microbiology and Anatomy and Physiology, and got out of the program...

Im going to go back to Education cause thats what I really want to do, to hell with fear, at the very least New Orleans and Mobile are always looking for people...

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Hydesland wrote:

Your avatar is awesome.

Reminds me what I spend all of my time around here doing. <.<
greed and death wrote:

Nice ambition though. I consider "achieving artistic perfection" one of my primary life goals. 'Course the likelihood of that actually happening is almost nil but that kind of thing shouldn't discourage me, much.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm actually looking at going back to school to do a Theology degree. It's not going to be much help in my current field (Chemistry), and I'm not likely to go into a field it really WOULD be helpful in (like ministry), but I still find myself very tempted.
I identify as
a problem

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:44 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:I'm actually looking at going back to school to do a Theology degree. It's not going to be much help in my current field (Chemistry), and I'm not likely to go into a field it really WOULD be helpful in (like ministry), but I still find myself very tempted.

I would study classics with a minor in theology, but that would be sooo much work.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:44 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:I'm actually looking at going back to school to do a Theology degree. It's not going to be much help in my current field (Chemistry), and I'm not likely to go into a field it really WOULD be helpful in (like ministry), but I still find myself very tempted.

You can always just not and say you did...This is teh Interwebs, who's going to know any better? ;)

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Saint Clair Island wrote:
Hydesland wrote:

Your avatar is awesome.

Reminds me what I spend all of my time around here doing. <.<
greed and death wrote:

Nice ambition though. I consider "achieving artistic perfection" one of my primary life goals. 'Course the likelihood of that actually happening is almost nil but that kind of thing shouldn't discourage me, much.

It might be the pain pills I am taking for my back.
But your art will out live you. Even if it is not considered perfect today, it may one day be viewed as perfect.
Makes those like me seeking temporal wealth, seem like we are doomed to fail. whereas you are bound to succeed.
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Just get an ordination certificate from the church of universal life way easier way to become a priest.
Barack Obama

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:55 pm

greed and death wrote:

Just get an ordination certificate from the church of universal life way easier way to become a priest.

I've got one. That's not why I'm considering it. I have checked several prospectus type things, and it's a lot of stuff I'm already academically interested in, a lot of material I've already covered for my own entertainment... and it's stuff that i both enjoy and would be good at.

And, at the end of it, someone would give me a degree for doing stuff I do all the time anyway!

Paper qualifications never hurt... the only thing that's holding me back is (like I said) that it wouldn't be directly applicable to anything I'm doing, or likely to do.
Last edited by Grave_n_idle on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I identify as
a problem

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:55 pm

greed and death wrote:It might be the pain pills I am taking for my back.
But your art will out live you. Even if it is not considered perfect today, it may one day be viewed as perfect.
Makes those like me seeking temporal wealth, seem like we are doomed to fail. whereas you are bound to succeed.

Honestly, I'd be okay even if I could just make a decent living from my work without having to take, say, a teaching job to make ends meet. Mozart's music is all well and good, but nobody really wants to end up much like the bloke himself.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General