NATION

PASSWORD

Austrian economics as an infallible source

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Black Plains
Senator

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Hydesland wrote:
The Black Plains wrote:... *looks at OP* ... *blows brains out with a shotgun*. What it comes down to is whether you believe the interaction between the millions of nodes in a human's brain interacting with the millions of nodes in another three hundred million humans' brains can be expressed with cig = y or you don't. When you attempt to put the three "magic equations" of Keynesian economics into if/then statements, take their converse, inverse, and contrapositive then they absolutely fall apart. There's no variable you can plug in for human interaction and motivation.

Bendira wrote:This was fun, but I have to go. I truly wish you guys luck trying to mathematically model economics and weather. Just ignore the immense variables involved.

I'm not sure whether you're referring to econometrics here or microeconomics. If you're referring to the former, this has been addressed a very very long time ago. You could start with some very basic concepts such as: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_limit_theorem

Fundamental belief of Austrian Econ: Micro and Macro economics are inseparable and indistinguishable.

Qwcasd
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Qwcasd » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:15 pm

The Black Plains wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:Isn't predicting you can't predict anything a self defeating assertion?

I'm saying you can't predict anything with equations... you can predict them with prisms and axioms. Keynesian economics is algebra, Austrian economics is Geometry. Geometry works infinitely better in this situation than algebra.

How's that?

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:16 pm

The Black Plains wrote:I'm saying you can't predict anything with equations... you can predict them with prisms and axioms. Keynesian economics is algebra, Austrian economics is Geometry. Geometry works infinitely better in this situation than algebra.

This is literally nonsensical. In fact, Keynes' work was never particularly mathematical for his time, less so than other contemporary economists of his time. In fact, much of Keynes' work revolved around criticising simplistic mathematical models at that time that don't accurately describe human behaviour even intuitively.

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:16 pm

Hydesland wrote:
Bendira wrote:Based on statistics and mathematical models.

Mathematical models, as I said, are just short hand for complex verbal models. They use logic and deductive reasoning, and minimize any ambiguity that is inherently present when you rely on verbal explanations only. And what is not deductive reasoning if not deducing from statistical evidence?

From what I've seen of self-proclaimed Austrians on NSG, they revel in the ambiguity, because it allows them to dodge criticism by claiming they were misunderstood.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
TOKYONI UNJUSTLY DELETED 19/06/2011 - SAY NO TO MOD IMPERIALISM
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Where's inda? Or Russa for that matter?

idot inda is asias gron and russa is its hat ok :palm:

Qwcasd
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Qwcasd » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:16 pm

The Black Plains wrote:
Hydesland wrote:

I'm not sure whether you're referring to econometrics here or microeconomics. If you're referring to the former, this has been addressed a very very long time ago. You could start with some very basic concepts such as: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_limit_theorem

Fundamental belief of Austrian Econ: Micro and Macro economics are inseparable and indistinguishable.

Which is obviously wrong, as large Corporations can influence the prices of things.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:17 pm

The Black Plains wrote:Fundamental belief of Austrian Econ: Micro and Macro economics are inseparable and indistinguishable.

I wasn't distinguishing between the two.

The Adrian Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Adrian Empire » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:18 pm

I tend to avoid sourcing them, just for that reason, though I do subscribe generally to the Austrian theory of economics. Considering any source I give would be little more then showing the reasoning of someone who thinks about economics more then I. I agree with their reasoning, I do follow their theories, but I don't claim it as a source for that reason.
From the Desk of His Excellency, Emperor Kyle Cicero Argentis
Region Inc. "Selling Today for a Brighter Tomorrow"
"What is the Price of Prosperity? Eternal Vigilance"
Let's call it Voluntary Government Minarchism
Economic: Left/Right (9.5)
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-2.56)
Sibirsky wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:The Adrian Empire is God.

Oh of course. But not to the leftists.

Faith Hope Charity wrote:I would just like to take this time to say... The Adrian Empire is awesome.
First imagine the 1950's in space, add free market capitalism, aliens, orcs, elves and magic, throw in some art-deco cities, the Roman Empire and finish with the Starship Troopers' Federation
The Imperial Factbook| |Census 2010

The Black Plains
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:18 pm

Qwcasd wrote:
The Black Plains wrote:I'm saying you can't predict anything with equations... you can predict them with prisms and axioms. Keynesian economics is algebra, Austrian economics is Geometry. Geometry works infinitely better in this situation than algebra.

How's that?

Uhm... meaning you should be able to use logic to explain things... You should have postulates and all if/then statements with no equations to explain human interaction... you can't put numbers to it or substitute a variable for it. It should all be how a sequence of events leads to another different sequence of events using the Postulate of Profit and the Capital Structure Postulate to describe why the events occur...

The Black Plains
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:20 pm

Qwcasd wrote:
The Black Plains wrote:Fundamental belief of Austrian Econ: Micro and Macro economics are inseparable and indistinguishable.

Which is obviously wrong, as large Corporations can influence the prices of things.

Because of barriers to entry to competition instated by government regulations, you are absolutely right they can.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:21 pm

The Black Plains wrote:You should have postulates and all if/then statements with no equations to explain human interaction... you can't put numbers to it or substitute a variable for it.

:palm: You use if then statements all the time in mathematical economics, especially in topics like game theory. Literally my last class was just a collection of if then statements.

Qwcasd
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Qwcasd » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:21 pm

The Black Plains wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:How's that?

Uhm... meaning you should be able to use logic to explain things... You should have postulates and all if/then statements with no equations to explain human interaction... you can't put numbers to it or substitute a variable for it. It should all be how a sequence of events leads to another different sequence of events using the Postulate of Profit and the Capital Structure Postulate to describe why the events occur...

Isn't that exactly what all other economic schools claim?

The Black Plains
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:22 pm

Qwcasd wrote:
The Black Plains wrote:Uhm... meaning you should be able to use logic to explain things... You should have postulates and all if/then statements with no equations to explain human interaction... you can't put numbers to it or substitute a variable for it. It should all be how a sequence of events leads to another different sequence of events using the Postulate of Profit and the Capital Structure Postulate to describe why the events occur...

Isn't that exactly what all other economic schools claim?

There are no equations in austrian economics. It's all step-by-step logic.

Qwcasd
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Qwcasd » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:22 pm

The Black Plains wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:Which is obviously wrong, as large Corporations can influence the prices of things.

Because of barriers to entry to competition instated by government regulations, you are absolutely right they can.

?
So my Austrian Economics is right because a perfect market is impossible?

Qwcasd
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Qwcasd » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:23 pm

The Black Plains wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:Isn't that exactly what all other economic schools claim?

There are no equations in austrian economics. It's all step-by-step logic.

That could be put into an equation, if it actually made any sense.

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:24 pm

The Adrian Empire wrote:I tend to avoid sourcing them, just for that reason, though I do subscribe generally to the Austrian theory of economics. Considering any source I give would be little more then showing the reasoning of someone who thinks about economics more then I. I agree with their reasoning, I do follow their theories, but I don't claim it as a source for that reason.

You seem like a reasonable person. I like your approach.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
TOKYONI UNJUSTLY DELETED 19/06/2011 - SAY NO TO MOD IMPERIALISM
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Where's inda? Or Russa for that matter?

idot inda is asias gron and russa is its hat ok :palm:

The Black Plains
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Qwcasd wrote:
The Black Plains wrote:Because of barriers to entry to competition instated by government regulations, you are absolutely right they can.

?

In a perfect austrian econ market there would be no government and the world would be in anarcho-capitalism. At least that's how far I take it, most people in the school do not take it that far. But most Austrian economics purporters believe in a very minimalistic government who has absolutely no foot in the business sphere. Oh and uhm... that whole thing about NOT causing inflation while in an economic recession.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Farnhamia wrote: It's the "You're Not The Boss Of Me" school of economics, just as Objectivism is in philosophy.

Objectivism is NOT a branch of philosophy. It is the invention of a storybook author. If Objectivism is a philosophy then so is tlhIngan tIgh: SuvwI' DevmeH paq (The klingon way) or Jedi knight philosophy.
Last edited by Natapoc on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Did you see a ghost?

Qwcasd
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Qwcasd » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:28 pm

The Black Plains wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:?

In a perfect austrian econ market there would be no government and the world would be in anarcho-capitalism. At least that's how far I take it, most people in the school do not take it that far. But most Austrian economics purporters believe in a very minimalistic government who has absolutely no foot in the business sphere. Oh and uhm... that whole thing about NOT causing inflation while in an economic recession.

Even if they had no foot in the business sphere you would still assert that government caused recessions.
For example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_of_1893

The Black Plains
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:31 pm

Qwcasd wrote:
The Black Plains wrote:In a perfect austrian econ market there would be no government and the world would be in anarcho-capitalism. At least that's how far I take it, most people in the school do not take it that far. But most Austrian economics purporters believe in a very minimalistic government who has absolutely no foot in the business sphere. Oh and uhm... that whole thing about NOT causing inflation while in an economic recession.

Even if they had no foot in the business sphere you would still assert that government caused recessions.

Yea it's not like the government provided subsidies to specific railroad lines when there wasn't any demand for them. That never happened.

Keijzers
Attaché

Founded: Sep 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keijzers » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:33 pm

The Black Plains wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:?

And there it is. The Austrian School denies science, because it's basically a political view. It advocates anarchocapitalistic or libertarian views. I mean, you're certainly entitled to your political view. But do not sell it as the answer that science cannot offer. You should try to use science to back your political view up.
Last edited by Keijzers on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -7.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92
Moral Order: -5.5
Moral Rules: 5

"Constrained choice leads to freedom"
Schwarz, B. (2000). Self-determination: The tyranny of freedom. American Psychologist, 55, 75-88.

Qwcasd
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Qwcasd » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:33 pm

The Black Plains wrote:
Qwcasd wrote:Even if they had no foot in the business sphere you would still assert that government caused recessions.

Yea it's not like the government provided subsidies to specific railroad lines when there wasn't any demand for them. That never happened.

There in lies the rub. The US government in the 1800s was literally as Laissez Faire is it could get. And yet you still find a reason to blame them.

The Adrian Empire
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Adrian Empire » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Farnhamia wrote: It's the "You're Not The Boss Of Me" school of economics, just as Objectivism is in philosophy.

Objectivism is NOT a branch of philosophy. It is the invention of a storybook author. If Objectivism is a philosophy then so is tlhIngan tIgh: SuvwI' DevmeH paq (The klingon way) or Jedi knight philosophy.

I think it is popularly followed by enough people to classify as a philosophy, Ayn Rand wrote non-fiction too. Now if Worf (only Klingon name I remember) or Obi-Wan writes a novel concerning their personal philosophies in practical application, perhaps. However until then Objectivism does have a place in philosophy.
Sibirsky wrote:

Faith Hope Charity wrote:I would just like to take this time to say... The Adrian Empire is awesome.
First imagine the 1950's in space, add free market capitalism, aliens, orcs, elves and magic, throw in some art-deco cities, the Roman Empire and finish with the Starship Troopers' Federation

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:35 pm

There are many philosophical works, especially in classical philosophy, that were developed using literary devices, this does not negate it being a philosophy.

The Black Plains
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:40 pm

Qwcasd wrote:
The Black Plains wrote:Yea it's not like the government provided subsidies to specific railroad lines when there wasn't any demand for them. That never happened.

There in lies the rub. The US government in the 1800s was literally as Laissez Faire is it could get. And yet you still find a reason to blame them.

Sorry, they subsidized and leased more or less free land to the railroad and even covered many expenses for the trans-continental railroad. There was no demand for the railroad and it was a risky investment, and so required subsidization. Then when there WAS no demand for it, shit fell apart.

The Adrian Empire
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Adrian Empire » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:40 pm

Qwcasd wrote:
The Black Plains wrote:Yea it's not like the government provided subsidies to specific railroad lines when there wasn't any demand for them. That never happened.

The problem was specifically with the railroads and silver inflation, still it isn't as if Austrians deny that recessions would occur under a free market, they believe they would be minimal in scope and less common.
Sibirsky wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General