NATION

PASSWORD

Did Christine O'Donnell pass High School Civics?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Vonners wrote:
Muravyets wrote:Which was another view shared by a majority of the founders of the US (though I'm not sure Hamilton agreed; he was such a snob). Franklin, in particular, held universal education as a social good.

Incidentally, it was also a good, solid, Puritan point of view as well. There was no monolithic Puritanism that dictated a uniform code of belief, and some Puritan churches were waaaaaaay less liberal than others, but even the ones that believed in absolute wordly authority, in the form of kings, were still anti-Pope. They were among the first churches to promote universal literacy so that every Christian could read their own Bible and not have their faith controlled by the Pope. Maybe they were letting the genie out of the bottle in a way, and for some of the churches, it led in a direction they didn't like (while some others were all for it), but the fact is, the solid Puritan Protestant ethic of "you're not the boss of me" led to the idea of every individual having the absolute right to think freely, which necessitates every individual having access to the education they need to be able to learn things and make critical judgments about them. If they were willing to apply that to God Almighty, why wouldn't they apply it to the lesser authority of government as well. Thus, people like Franklin supporting the value of an educated electorate.

would it surprise you if I said I was a Lutheran?

Only if (a) it was relevant, (b) I cared, and (c) you looked like something else.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Vonners
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:02 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Vonners wrote:
would it surprise you if I said I was a Lutheran?

Only if (a) it was relevant, (b) I cared, and (c) you looked like something else.

A - It is

B - You do

C - I make Princess Leah look like a 195 year old hag
Beer - the other white meat

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:05 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Well, she absolutely should know how to respond to the question, but "separation of church and state" technically doesn't appear in the Constitution...

I have yet to see a full transcript of the debate, but all of the transcripts of the exchange make clear that Ms. O'Donnell was not making that completely irrelevant point. She clearly does not think the concept is or should be in the Constitution or should hinder Delaware schools from teaching creationism/intelligent design. (Which is especially stupid, because the Delaware Constitution itself forbids it.)
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:09 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Well, she absolutely should know how to respond to the question, but "separation of church and state" technically doesn't appear in the Constitution...

I have yet to see a full transcript of the debate, but all of the transcripts of the exchange make clear that Ms. O'Donnell was not making that completely irrelevant point. She clearly does not think the concept is or should be in the Constitution or should hinder Delaware schools from teaching creationism/intelligent design. (Which is especially stupid, because the Delaware Constitution itself forbids it.)

um thee doth not need a transcript...just watch der vid yah know;)

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:17 pm

I think her gaffe ranks a 8.0 on the Quaylemeter.

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:19 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:I think her gaffe ranks a 8.0 on the Quaylemeter.

yer 8 years too late.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:32 pm

I no longer believe Christine O'Donnell can win in Delaware. What can I say, she blew it. She could have rode the momentum of the TEA party with a little campaigning on the issues and not caring about the whole witch thing. Maybe taking a page out of Scott Brown's book. I hope she pulls off a miracle (we need every senate vote we can get to repeal Obamacare) but I'm pretty sure she won't make it.
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:58 am

Vonners wrote:
Muravyets wrote:Only if (a) it was relevant, (b) I cared, and (c) you looked like something else.

A - It is

B - You do

C - I make Princess Leah look like a 195 year old hag

A - How?

B - No, I don't.

C - Was she, like, a space-Presbyterian or something?
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:01 am

Saiwania wrote:I no longer believe Christine O'Donnell can win in Delaware. What can I say, she blew it. She could have rode the momentum of the TEA party with a little campaigning on the issues and not caring about the whole witch thing. Maybe taking a page out of Scott Brown's book. I hope she pulls off a miracle (we need every senate vote we can get to repeal Obamacare) but I'm pretty sure she won't make it.

So you detest one domestic policy so much that to get rid of it, you would vote in someone who would destroy the US Constitution, someone who has no idea what the foundations of US law are, someone who has no clue how government works at all? In other words, is it your idea that the best way to solve a leaky roof is to burn the house down?
Last edited by Muravyets on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:07 am

Saiwania wrote:I no longer believe Christine O'Donnell can win in Delaware. What can I say, she blew it. She could have rode the momentum of the TEA party with a little campaigning on the issues and not caring about the whole witch thing. Maybe taking a page out of Scott Brown's book. I hope she pulls off a miracle (we need every senate vote we can get to repeal Obamacare) but I'm pretty sure she won't make it.

Good. And you better hope whatever gains you make are veto-proof, because Obama hasn't forgotten how to write his name. And you need 2/3 of both Houses of Congress to override a veto. Good luck with that.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:34 am

Farnhamia wrote:

Good. And you better hope whatever gains you make are veto-proof, because Obama hasn't forgotten how to write his name. And you need 2/3 of both Houses of Congress to override a veto. Good luck with that.

Voting out Obama's rubber stamp congress is only the first step, we'll push hard to boot Obama out with whoever wins the nomination. 4 years (currently 2) of trillion dollar spending sprees, 10%+ unemployment, federal government power grabs, and waning American power/influence abroad is more than enough for me.

Muravyets wrote:So you detest one domestic policy so much that to get rid of it, you would vote in someone who would destroy the US Constitution, someone who has no idea what the foundations of US law are, someone who has no clue how government works at all? In other words, is it your idea that the best way to solve a leaky roof is to burn the house down?

Yes, indeed. I hate what Obamacare is going to try to do (fine me $700 a year) that I'm willing to do almost anything to aid in repealing it and American public opinion is on my side with more wanting repeal than for keeping it.
Last edited by Saiwania on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:38 am

Saiwania wrote:Voting out Obama's rubber stamp congress is only the first step

Hmm... You must be from that Mirror universe from Star Trek.... In this universe the congress we have is in no way "Obama's Rubber Stamp Congress".
Such heroic nonsense!

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:55 am

Saiwania wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Good. And you better hope whatever gains you make are veto-proof, because Obama hasn't forgotten how to write his name. And you need 2/3 of both Houses of Congress to override a veto. Good luck with that.

Voting out Obama's rubber stamp congress is only the first step, we'll push hard to boot Obama out with whoever wins the nomination. 4 years (currently 2) of trillion dollar spending sprees, 10%+ unemployment, federal government power grabs, and waning American power/influence abroad is more than enough for me.

Muravyets wrote:So you detest one domestic policy so much that to get rid of it, you would vote in someone who would destroy the US Constitution, someone who has no idea what the foundations of US law are, someone who has no clue how government works at all? In other words, is it your idea that the best way to solve a leaky roof is to burn the house down?

Yes, indeed. I hate what Obamacare is going to try to do (fine me $700 a year) that I'm willing to do almost anything to aid in repealing it and American public opinion is on my side with more wanting repeal than for keeping it.

So... you do want to destroy the entire nation? Just double checking.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:04 am

Muravyets wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

So... you do want to destroy the entire nation? Just double checking.

It's refreshing when they actually say it out loud, don't you think?
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:08 am

Muravyets wrote:So... you do want to destroy the entire nation? Just double checking.

I don't see getting rid of Obamacare as destroying the nation, I see failing to get rid of it as destroying America.
Premiums will still be rising under Obamacare and the cons in my view outweigh any pros it was purported to have.
Sith Acolyte

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:09 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Muravyets wrote:So... you do want to destroy the entire nation? Just double checking.

It's refreshing when they actually say it out loud, don't you think?

In a way, yeah, I guess. Whew! Heady stuff.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:12 am

Saiwania wrote:

I don't see getting rid of Obamacare as destroying the nation, I see failing to get rid of it as destroying America.
Premiums will still be rising under Obamacare and the cons in my view outweigh any pros it was purported to have.

Read the words on the screen:

Saiwania wrote:...

I ask you if you are willing to destroy the Constitution, which is the basis of our entire system of government. I ask you if you would put someone in power who would destroy the government as we have had it for our whole history. I ask you if your solution to one problem is to destroy the entire structure.

And you say "Yes, indeed." Because of $700 a year, you would do all that.
Last edited by Muravyets on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:19 am

Save your semantics, one person is not going to destroy the constitution. The rest of the GOP senate leadership would have her stay quiet until she gains some seniority. A senator is only there to debate and vote on bills brought to the floor. What matters to me is her YEA vote against the Obama agenda.
Last edited by Saiwania on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:27 am

Saiwania wrote:Save your semantics, one person is not going to destroy the constitution. The rest of the GOP senate leadership would have her stay quiet until she gains some seniority. A senator is only there to debate and vote on bills brought to the floor.

That's a frightening thought, Christine O'Donnell elected and re-elected enough times to actually gain some seniority. Anyone for the "Anti-Masturbation Act of 2029"?
Last edited by Farnhamia on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:34 am

Saiwania wrote:Save your semantics, one person is not going to destroy the constitution. The rest of the GOP senate leadership would have her stay quiet until she gains some seniority. A senator is only there to debate and vote on bills brought to the floor. What matters to me is her YEA vote against the Obama agenda.

You didn't say one person. You said you needed as many seats as you could get, all filled with people like her. She is utterly unqualified for public office. She doesn't even know what's in the Bill of Rights, ffs. And she disagrees with the most fundamental concepts no which the nation is founded, such as separation of church and state. A person like her is basically out to dismantle our system of government to make it fit her extreme ideology. And you want to lard Congress with enough people like her to save you $700 a year. To save yourself money, you want to give power to people who will destroy the nation, because they don't like the way it's set up.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:39 am

Farnhamia wrote: Anyone for the "Anti-Masturbation Act of 2029"?

As opposed to legalizing marijuana (catering to pot heads), giving illegal immigrants mass amnesty, and punishing the economy more with regulations (like cap and trade), that sounds like a good deal to me. A ban on masturbation wouldn't exactly be enforceable.
Sith Acolyte

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:45 am

Saiwania wrote:As opposed to legalizing marijuana (catering to pot heads),

Cutting down on pressure for already stretched police forces for a drug less harmful than tobacco.
giving illegal immigrants mass amnesty

Impractical to deport them all.
, and punishing the economy more with regulations (like cap and trade), that sounds like a good deal to me.

Punishing the economy? As opposed to punishing the consumers?
A ban on masturbation wouldn't exactly be enforceable.

Neither is a ban on pot.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:01 am

If you legalize marijuana you go down a slippery slope of legalizing other dangerous drugs. Why not make cocaine legal while you're at it? The idea that laws against marijuana have any less a purpose than laws against other drugs is ludicrous to me.
Sith Acolyte

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:05 am

Saiwania wrote:If you legalize marijuana you go down a slippery slope of legalizing other dangerous drugs. Why not make cocaine legal while you're at it? The idea that laws against marijuana have any less a purpose than laws against other drugs is ludicrous to me.

its a good idea.

taking the far more dangerous organized crime out of the drug business is well worth the potential increase in usage (of drugs that would now have quality control)
whatever

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:06 am

Saiwania wrote:If you legalize marijuana you go down a slippery slope of legalizing other dangerous drugs. Why not make cocaine legal while you're at it? The idea that laws against marijuana have any less a purpose than laws against other drugs is ludicrous to me.

You're right, let's ban tobacco and alcohol.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General