NATION

PASSWORD

Warren G. Harding vs Franklin D. Roosevelt

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which President was better for America and the world, on balance?

1)Franklin D.Roosevelt(32nd Pres.)
74%
2)Warren G.Harding(29th Pres.)
26%

Total votes : 43

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Sucrati wrote:Also, Harding got us out of a little known depression of 1919, within 18 months of taking office, the economy was back, and expanding greatly, hence the Roaring 20's

Two things that FDR is not so known for.

While his 'programs' supposedly helped us as Americans, it actually made the recovery much slower, then we hit that recession, or 'double dipped', while Europe was regaining its economy back through different methods (Great Britain if I remember correctly exited out of the Depression along with others before America because they cut spending... or became dictatorships.)

And Thanks to FDR being reelected 4 Times, there's a constitutional amendment that now limits the terms for president (why can't we do that for the other politicians?)

That Depression was caused by the demobilization of the economy following WWI. It's a natural self-correcting one, just like the one right after the Second World War.

Most European nations weren't hit by the Depression as hard as the US. And even so, with the exception of the Fascist nations, who bought their way out through arms spending and conquest, none of them recovered any faster than the US.

Further, if you want to go by that standard, the Soviet Union did the best during the Depression. After all, their economy was hardly affected at all and continued to grow throughout the Great Depression. :P
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Saurisia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisia » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:59 pm

Neither, Calvin Coolidge, mofos!
Israslovakahzerbajan wrote:Stealing a copy of The Land Before Time.
Coccygia wrote:The only good mammal is a dead mammal.
Pythria wrote:Fascist dictatorship run by dinosaurs. I like it
Tartonica wrote:2/10 because dinosaurs do NOT rule nations (Except for Saurisia)
The Tavan Race wrote:Yeah, your nation scares me
Wolohanistan wrote:Saurisia - Dinosaur Dictatorship is the best dictatorship, not that we support that sort of thing.
Conoga wrote:Dinosaurs-in-Bikinis-Boy
Lancov wrote:Condemn, because we now have to go soak our brains in bleach.
The Floor Kippers wrote:We Have Dinosaurs.....Argument Rendered Invalid
Grossrheinland Reich wrote:DINOSAUR FETISHIST
Tetraca wrote:Also: yay, Saurisia's here! This thread just became more awesome :D
FT Population: 1,000,000,000,000
DINOSAURS RULE!

Jimanistan
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Jimanistan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:00 pm

Roosevelt.

Debs would have made a much better President than either, though.
The Workers' State of Jimanistan
Demonym: Jimani
Capital: Fenario, Capital District
Head of State: Prime Minister Marie Clemente
Head of Government: Speaker Francois Durand

"The very cannibalism of the counterrevolution will convince the nations that there is only one way in which the murderous death agonies of the old society and the bloody birth throes of the new society can be shortened, simplified and concentrated, and that way is revolutionary terror."
- Karl Marx

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Jimanistan wrote:Debs would have made a much better President than either, though.

Before or after the military junta removed him?
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:17 pm

L3 Communications wrote:
Coccygia wrote:FDR vs. Harding? That's kinda like Chuck Norris vs. Don Knotts. :blink:

Don Knotts rode around in a wheelchair?

What, Harding rode around in a wheelcha - oh, I get it. Ha ha. Very droll. >:(
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Harding, bnecause his policies actually WORKED. As opposed to Roosevelt's, which had a net impact of zilcherino on the economy. Plus, I prefer Harding over the guy that was so impressed with fascism he wanted to adopt it into the American system.

Plus, Roosevelt was our lamest president (get it!)! He'd totally get knocked out by Harding in like, the first round.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:58 pm

Saurisia wrote:Neither, Calvin Coolidge, mofos!

^ this.

The other presidents'd be all talking shit outside the ring, and Coolidge would just stare at them until they fell over, dead. There's a reason they called him 'SIlent' Cal, his kills were so stealthy.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

The Adrian Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Adrian Empire » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Eternal Yerushalayim wrote:Warren G. Harding:
Reduced top marginal rate in four stages from 73% in 1921 to 25% in 1925. Taxes were cut for lower incomes starting in 1923.
Pared unemployment from its high in 1921 of 12% to an average of 3.3% for the remainder of the decade.
The misery index which is a combination of unemployment and inflation had its sharpest decline in U.S. history under President Harding. The Gross National Product averaged 7% from 1924 to 1929.
Wages, profits, and productivity all made substantial gains during the 1920s.
Rejected League of Nations and excessive foreign intervention.Imposed new tariffs.
Convened conference on unemployment urging business leaders to work together and aid the economy.

Encouraged civil rights.Placed too much trust in corrupt individuals, caused public confidence in the Presidency to fall.
Was a womanizer.

Ranked lowly by historians.

Franklin D. Roosevelt:Launched the New Deal to produce relief (especially government jobs for the unemployed through infrastructure and public works programs), recovery of the economy, and reform (through regulation of Wall Street, banks and transportation).
The economy improved rapidly from 1933 to 1937, but then went into a deep recession.
Attempted to "pack the Supreme Court".
Brought America into WWII on the side of the UK, which helped to eliminate unemployment but raised debt.
Increased public spending to stimulate the economy.

Pushed for the repeal of Prohibition.
Cut veteran benefits, education, research and federal salaries.
Laid foundation for United Nations.
Got elected for four terms.
Ranked highly by historians.

Struck out what I considered a negative or falsehood. When you see the remainder, you'd see who I think is superior.
From the Desk of His Excellency, Emperor Kyle Cicero Argentis
Region Inc. "Selling Today for a Brighter Tomorrow"
"What is the Price of Prosperity? Eternal Vigilance"
Let's call it Voluntary Government Minarchism
Economic: Left/Right (9.5)
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-2.56)
Sibirsky wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:The Adrian Empire is God.

Oh of course. But not to the leftists.

Faith Hope Charity wrote:I would just like to take this time to say... The Adrian Empire is awesome.
First imagine the 1950's in space, add free market capitalism, aliens, orcs, elves and magic, throw in some art-deco cities, the Roman Empire and finish with the Starship Troopers' Federation
The Imperial Factbook| |Census 2010

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General