NATION

PASSWORD

Property Rights are the most important rights

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Importance of Property Rights?

VERY Important
19%
Important, but other things are more so
58%
Not Important
19%
PROPERTY RIGHTS ARE THE ONLY RIGHTS WE NEED! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!
3%

Total votes : 72

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:38 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Jenrak wrote:
Actually, right to food, water, and basic necessities is most important.

Cause it's irrelevant what you hold dear if you're dead from dehydration or starvation.

You don't have those rights. You're miles away from the nearest homeless shelter and broke. You're by an abundant grocery store. They have food and water. You do not have the right to take it. Property rights triumph.

Why?
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Siromizu
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Siromizu » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:43 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:You don't have those rights. You're miles away from the nearest homeless shelter and broke. You're by an abundant grocery store. They have food and water. You do not have the right to take it. Property rights triumph.

Why?

In taking food and water that somebody else has, would you not be denying them their right to food and water (even if not immediately)?

What would give you the right to deny others their rights?
What man is a man without honour?

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:57 pm

Siromizu wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Why?

In taking food and water that somebody else has, would you not be denying them their right to food and water (even if not immediately)?

1) If you assume there is not enough water and food for everyone, what gives some people the "right" to it and not others? (Especially as most theories of property rights are derived from an assumption of a fictional status where there is no scarcity.)

2) If there is not a shortage of water and food, what harm is there in sharing? Shouldn't there be an obligation to share?
I quit (again).
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Siromizu
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Siromizu » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:08 am

The Cat-Tribe wrote:1) If you assume there is not enough water and food for everyone, what gives some people the "right" to it and not others? (Especially as most theories of property rights are derived from an assumption of a fictional status where there is no scarcity.)

If they got it before anyone else did/produced it with their own labour/engaged in consensual exchange for it, then it's theirs. Other people have the "right" to do those things in order to get their own or someone else's.

The Cat-Tribe wrote:2) If there is not a shortage of water and food, what harm is there in sharing? Shouldn't there be an obligation to share?

Uh, no? Consider that times of plenty tend to be impermanent, and that it may be in an individual's best interests to retain what is plentiful for times of scarcity, or to exchange it for something else that they need. Sure, it's nice to share, but I don't think anybody is obliged to do so.
What man is a man without honour?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:13 am

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Siromizu wrote:In taking food and water that somebody else has, would you not be denying them their right to food and water (even if not immediately)?

1) If you assume there is not enough water and food for everyone, what gives some people the "right" to it and not others? (Especially as most theories of property rights are derived from an assumption of a fictional status where there is no scarcity.)

2) If there is not a shortage of water and food, what harm is there in sharing? Shouldn't there be an obligation to share?

1. Because society has a reached a compromise where by property is protected in order to minimize violent conflict over property.

2 Because, and obligation that is not voluntary or mandated as an agreement reached in 1 above is subject to the one seeking thirsts view point, and completely void of the needs of the owner. While a mandate reached in 1, may not take into account the owner's needs it is foreseeable has the responsibility to plan for it.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:31 am

greed and death wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:

1. Because society has a reached a compromise where by property is protected in order to minimize violent conflict over property.

2 Because, and obligation that is not voluntary or mandated as an agreement reached in 1 above is subject to the one seeking thirsts view point, and completely void of the needs of the owner. While a mandate reached in 1, may not take into account the owner's needs it is foreseeable has the responsibility to plan for it.

So if society reaches a different compromise (or has reached a different compromise) than the one you think it should, it would be fine to take the food and water?
I quit (again).

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:32 am

Siromizu wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:1) If you assume there is not enough water and food for everyone, what gives some people the "right" to it and not others? (Especially as most theories of property rights are derived from an assumption of a fictional status where there is no scarcity.)

If they got it before anyone else did/produced it with their own labour/engaged in consensual exchange for it, then it's theirs. Other people have the "right" to do those things in order to get their own or someone else's.
The Cat-Tribe wrote:2) If there is not a shortage of water and food, what harm is there in sharing? Shouldn't there be an obligation to share?

Uh, no? Consider that times of plenty tend to be impermanent, and that it may be in an individual's best interests to retain what is plentiful for times of scarcity, or to exchange it for something else that they need. Sure, it's nice to share, but I don't think anybody is obliged to do so.

The highlighted sentences make a number of dubious assumptions that you don't explain or justify.
I quit (again).

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:42 am

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
greed and death wrote:1. Because society has a reached a compromise where by property is protected in order to minimize violent conflict over property.

So if society reaches a different compromise (or has reached a different compromise) than the one you think it should, it would be fine to take the food and water?

The compromise is know as the law or the government. In general one should obey that compromise and live within the rules set up therein. If however if the compromise is so disagreeable that it can not be abided then one has a duty to resist, and accept the consequences of that resistance. Because at the end of the day the law is just a scrap of paper, and a scrap of paper should not trump what is right.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:49 am

greed and death wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:

The compromise is know as the law or the government. In general one should obey that compromise and live within the rules set up therein. If however if the compromise is so disagreeable that it can not be abided then one has a duty to resist, and accept the consequences of that resistance. Because at the end of the day the law is just a scrap of paper, and a scrap of paper should not trump what is right.

If you are justified in disobeying the law if it allows the taking of property with which you disagree, why should the people dying of dehydration or starvation obey the scrap of paper rather than save their lives by drinking some water and/or eating some food that is "owned" by someone else?
I quit (again).

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:52 am

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
greed and death wrote:The compromise is know as the law or the government. In general one should obey that compromise and live within the rules set up therein. If however if the compromise is so disagreeable that it can not be abided then one has a duty to resist, and accept the consequences of that resistance. Because at the end of the day the law is just a scrap of paper, and a scrap of paper should not trump what is right.

If you are justified in disobeying the law if it allows the taking of property with which you disagree, why should the people dying of dehydration or starvation obey the scrap of paper rather than save their lives by drinking some water and/or eating some food that is "owned" by someone else?

They should resist by taking it, if they feel they have been provided no other remedy, but accept the likely consequences, that the property owner will resist their taking of it, and society will likely side with the property owner through the action of the courts. But hey in prison at least they will be fed.
Barack Obama

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Property Rights are the most important rights

Postby Alien Space Bats » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:56 am

Vetalia wrote:Well, if you define your body to be your property, then your income doesn't matter. You still own that no matter what.

And yet, strangely, while most conservatives embrace the principle that property rights reign supreme, they won't let people do what they want with their own bodies.

Such as, for instance, having sex with any consenting partner they please.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:57 am

greed and death wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:

They should resist by taking it, if they feel they have been provided no other remedy, but accept the likely consequences, that the property owner will resist their taking of it, and society will likely side with the property owner through the action of the courts. But hey in prison at least they will be fed.

You are doing a rather strange job of hopping back and forth between ethical claims to what is "right" and practical claims to "might"/consequences.
I quit (again).

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:07 am

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
greed and death wrote:They should resist by taking it, if they feel they have been provided no other remedy, but accept the likely consequences, that the property owner will resist their taking of it, and society will likely side with the property owner through the action of the courts. But hey in prison at least they will be fed.

You are doing a rather strange job of hopping back and forth between ethical claims to what is "right" and practical claims to "might"/consequences.

The individual determines what is right. Law only represents an attempt at a compromise. The compromise only last so long as the vast majority support the compromise. If you as an individual reject the compromise, the only way to determine if a significant enough of a minority to force either a modification, or a complete rewrite of the compromise exist, is to you yourself take that first step of resistance.
Barack Obama

Carls-land
Minister

Founded: Apr 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Carls-land » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:10 am

No the most important right is the right of a democraticaly elected government to make the laws of it's country/control it's country.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:11 am

Carls-land wrote:No the most important right is the right of a democraticaly elected government to make the laws of it's country/control it's country.

Not a big fan of democracy myself.
Barack Obama

Carls-land
Minister

Founded: Apr 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Carls-land » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:11 am

greed and death wrote:
Carls-land wrote:No the most important right is the right of a democraticaly elected government to make the laws of it's country/control it's country.

Not a big fan of democracy myself.

Why?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:13 am

Carls-land wrote:
greed and death wrote:Not a big fan of democracy myself.

Why?

They don't work, the majority becomes the tyrant, the restraints to limit this eventually become outdated due to technology, and the vast majority of people are too stupid to be allowed to vote.
Barack Obama

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:21 am

greed and death wrote:They don't work, the majority becomes the tyrant, the restraints to limit this eventually become outdated due to technology, and the vast majority of people are too stupid to be allowed to vote.

IMO, they're too big. I'm one vote in what? 100 million? My individual votes, and desires mean nothing.

Neo-tribalism is the way to go. Small nations up to 100,000 sound a hell of a lot better to me.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Bendira
Senator

Founded: Apr 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:54 am

I said it earlier, so I will say it again. Rights don't exist in the real world, they are a creation of mankind. I would argue there are many rights that are biologically universal, but thats irrelevant. The point is, if rights don't exist, where do they come from? They extend from property rights. If you are on somebody else's property, they can dictate what you can and cannot do there. Conversely if they are on your property, you can tell them what they can and cannot do. You do not need to view this as a utopian scenario, because it exists in the United States right now. The U.S. government allows us to purchase land, but we really are renting it. Thats where taxation and laws about what you can and cannot do on your land come from. The U.S. government owns a little bit of all the land, and as a result they can dictate what rights we have and do not have. The way property rights are enforced, is of course by who has the guns. Ultimately, rights extend from who has the guns, and who controls the property via the guns. The idea that this concept is a "Rothbardian Fallacy" is absurd. Its quite clear that rights extend from land ownership. Unless you are a christain nutcase that thinks rights actually exist independently, im not sure how you could refute anything ive said.
Political Compass:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:36 am

i think there are more important rights than property.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

The blessed Chris
Minister

Founded: Jul 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The blessed Chris » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:04 am

greed and death wrote:
Carls-land wrote:Why?

They don't work, the majority becomes the tyrant, the restraints to limit this eventually become outdated due to technology, and the vast majority of people are too stupid to be allowed to vote.

Which is a problem with the form democracy takes, rather than democracy as a principle. If the electorate were either better educated, or franchise limited to those who pass an exam and thereby demonstrate some knowledge of economics, politics and philosophy, then democratic policies might be more sensible.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:31 am

Occupied Deutschland wrote:From the "freer the market..." thread.
Who here thinks property rights are the most important rights we have, why? Why not?
Personally, I do believe this. "Property Rights" means that one is entitled to what one produces or earns. In a short definition, it's what one 'has'. So, you're right to life is protected under the phrase property rights. Anything that restricts you're life (smoking, drinking, sexing, texting, sexting, drinxting (ala the gubmint)) is therefore restricitng your property rights.

I would not count texting-while-driving prohibitions, or drinking while driving prohibitions, for example, as a violation of your property rights... More that your engaging in those activities is a violation of other people's property rights, due to the extra unknown risk you are willingly applying upon their properties.
Such heroic nonsense!

Helertia
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:46 am

I regard property rights secondary to other rights. Living with no property rights in a Democracy allows me to attempt to change the system, and probably win. Living with property rights in a dictatorship, I can't change any part of the system and I'll probably get myself killed whilst arguing for free speech.
Do hypocrites hate hypocrisy?

Volnotov
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotov » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:47 am

Property is an illusion.
Last edited by Volnotov on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
What is your political orientation?
Participate now in the NS Political Orietnation Poll!

Political Spectrum Quiz Results

"There are those people that believe that we are all equal, that every person should recieve an equal piece of the cake regardless of what they contributed to it.
I believe in a fair society, were those that contributed the most to the cake recieve the biggest share. Maybe that is not *equal*, but sure it is fair."

Helertia
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:49 am

Volnotov wrote:Property is an illusion.

Oddly, I can't put my hand through my keyboard. Holograms must be really advanced these days.
Do hypocrites hate hypocrisy?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General