NATION

PASSWORD

The United States vs Vatican City - Who would win?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who would win?

The United States
20%
Vatican City
21%
Other
7%
This is a stupid question
52%

Total votes : 146

Sierra Lobo
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sierra Lobo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:13 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Vatican City cos of internal rebel in United States itself and also refusal to fire by troops. And also president would be soon assassinated thanks to gun culture of Americans. :p

I doubt many Catholics under forty would rebel against the U.S. government for that.

you forget the massive catholic population south to the border.
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

"Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres." - Einstein

“Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side”

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:14 pm

Draconikus wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:All we do is dress some Special Ops guys up like tourists and ... ta-da! The Pope's on a plane headed for Gitmo.

Of course it's silly. The whole thread is silly.

He does kind've have security for things like that. Y'know, Italian police, Papal police, non-ceremonial Swiss Guard (as in, guys wearing proper kevlar CBA and carrying guns). Makes it rather difficult to kidnap him.

The Italians can be dealt with by parading a bevy of good-looking women past them. Then the disguised Green Berets overcome the ceremonial Swiss Guards, take their uniforms, infiltrate the Vatican ...
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Draconikus
Envoy

Founded: May 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Draconikus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:14 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Vatican City cos of internal rebel in United States itself and also refusal to fire by troops. And also president would be soon assassinated thanks to gun culture of Americans. :p

I doubt many Catholics under forty would rebel against the U.S. government for that.

Granted, perhaps not a high percentage, but I feel I must point out that the 'Bible Belt' got it's name for a reason. Hard to run a country when a significant portion of your landmass is in the hands of separatists.
La Verus Draconii Nunquam Mortis

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:15 pm

Sierra Lobo wrote:you forget the massive catholic population south to the border.

What about it? You mean to tell me it would come charging through the desert with pitchforks?
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:15 pm

Sierra Lobo wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I doubt many Catholics under forty would rebel against the U.S. government for that.

you forget the massive catholic population south to the border.

You mean all those people who keep trying to come here to work? What about them?
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:16 pm

Draconikus wrote:Granted, perhaps not a high percentage, but I feel I must point out that the 'Bible Belt' got it's name for a reason. Hard to run a country when a significant portion of your landmass is in the hands of separatists.

Most of the "Bible Belt" vehemently hates the Vatican, and would probably applaud such an invasion.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:17 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Draconikus wrote:Granted, perhaps not a high percentage, but I feel I must point out that the 'Bible Belt' got it's name for a reason. Hard to run a country when a significant portion of your landmass is in the hands of separatists.

Most of the "Bible Belt" vehemently hates the Vatican, and would probably applaud such an invasion.

Exactly. Your stereotypical "Bible Belt" denizen is most assuredly not a Catholic.

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Farnhamia wrote:I remember that. Didn't the Swiss Guards capture Garibaldi and Count Cavour and imprison them in the Castel Gandolpho for, like, 20 years?

That's the one. Its the main reason why Italy currently comprises of smaller territories like Piedmont, Lombardy, Tuscany, Venice, Naples and of course the Papal States rather than a united country with the Pope only presiding over a token territory.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Cosmopoles wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I remember that. Didn't the Swiss Guards capture Garibaldi and Count Cavour and imprison them in the Castel Gandolpho for, like, 20 years?

That's the one. Its the main reason why Italy currently comprises of smaller territories like Piedmont, Lombardy, Tuscany, Venice, Naples and of course the Papal States rather than a united country with the Pope only presiding over a token territory.

Of course, Napoleon III was grateful when the Pope sent his victorious armies to France to throw back the Prussians, and to lead an uprising of Catholic Bavaria against the Hohenzollerns.

Have you ever read Hadrian the Seventh? It's a little dense and a tad over-wrought but it's also a wonderful fantasy of a resurgent Papacy.

Draconikus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Draconikus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:22 pm

Aeronos wrote:I agree, why is the US immediately the one assumed at fault? Globalization has its ups and downs, but at least it has ups. The Catholicization of Africa has damaged it more than any neoconservative imperial policies have. With sectarian violence, AIDS, polio, witch-hunts and oversized familial poverty plaguing the continent so that the Pope can extend his palaces like some sick game of Dwarf Fortress, the Iraq War and Globalization seem almost (ironically) saintly compared...

Assuming sectarian violence means something similar to religious conflicts, you can't lay the blame squarely on Catholicism there. 'It takes two to tango', as they say.
AIDS wouldn't spread if people stuck to the 'one man, one woman' section as regards to sex (granted there are other methods it can spread, but I don't see how the Church can affect those). Witch hunts? Closest I can come up with is the slaughter of albinos, and as I recall, that is for native medicine men and tribal beleifs. If say, they took the word of the Church, said thing wouldn't happen. Polio? Source please.
As for the oversized family thing - where in the Bible does it say that 'thou shalt have many, many children as part of your religious duties'?
How did the Church make that worse?

Draconikus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Draconikus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:24 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Draconikus wrote:
He does kind've have security for things like that. Y'know, Italian police, Papal police, non-ceremonial Swiss Guard (as in, guys wearing proper kevlar CBA and carrying guns). Makes it rather difficult to kidnap him.

The Italians can be dealt with by parading a bevy of good-looking women past them. Then the disguised Green Berets overcome the ceremonial Swiss Guards, take their uniforms, infiltrate the Vatican ...

Riiight.... And no one notices that the guards who are there for show (hence ceremonial) are leaving their posts and heading towards security sensitive areas of the Vatican? Security alert in less than five minutes.

Sierra Lobo
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sierra Lobo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:25 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Sierra Lobo wrote:you forget the massive catholic population south to the border.

What about it? You mean to tell me it would come charging through the desert with pitchforks?

The US cant even secure her borders in peacetime, do you expect they will do better.
Last edited by Sierra Lobo on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

"Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres." - Einstein

“Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side”

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Draconikus wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:The Italians can be dealt with by parading a bevy of good-looking women past them. Then the disguised Green Berets overcome the ceremonial Swiss Guards, take their uniforms, infiltrate the Vatican ...

Riiight.... And no one notices that the guards who are there for show (hence ceremonial) are leaving their posts and heading towards security sensitive areas of the Vatican? Security alert in less than five minutes.

Nope, we cleverly disabled the Vatican communications system.

Okay, better idea: the US guys are dressed like seminarians. No one would even look at them twice.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Draconikus wrote:Riiight.... And no one notices that the guards who are there for show (hence ceremonial) are leaving their posts and heading towards security sensitive areas of the Vatican? Security alert in less than five minutes.

This time on Deadliest Warrior: Swiss Pikeman vs. M1 Abrahams!
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

United Gackle
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby United Gackle » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Agreed, this is very stupid since the Vatican doesn't really have a military.
Revenge for Armenian Genocide TURKEY YOU WILL PAY!!!!

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Sierra Lobo wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

The US cant even secure her borders in peacetime, do you expect they will do better.

I'm still not seeing much of a threat, here.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Sierra Lobo wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

We'd offer them all jobs and thank them for bringing their own tools.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:29 pm

Farnhamia wrote:We'd offer them all jobs and thank them for bringing their own tools.

That'd probably work.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Kaffekopp
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaffekopp » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:29 pm

Here is a scenario that could result in an attack from the US on the Vatican:

The pope orders a new holy war, a crusade, to retake the holy land.
To retake the holy land by removing the jews and muslims that lives in the area.

Since the United States is controlled by jews, there would probably be an all out pre-emptive attack within hours.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 pm

United Gackle wrote:Agreed, this is very stupid since the Vatican doesn't really have a military.

It does however have 1 billion soldiers already living all over the world, on key positions in societies.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:We'd offer them all jobs and thank them for bringing their own tools.

That'd probably work.

Indeed.

I think the Swiss Guards are reasonably well-armed and well trained, it's just that there aren't very many of them and they have no armor or air support.

Draconikus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Draconikus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Draconikus wrote:

Nope, we cleverly disabled the Vatican communications system.

Okay, better idea: the US guys are dressed like seminarians. No one who even look at them twice.

US Special Forces undercover as priests? I don't know why, but I find that amusing for some reason....
I'll give that one a moderate chance of succes, seeing as how I would have to know a little more than the basics of the Vatican security system to rate it properly , and they don't seem to give that out on the web.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:31 pm

Kaffekopp wrote:Here is a scenario that could result in an attack from the US on the Vatican:

The pope orders a new holy war, a crusade, to retake the holy land.
To retake the holy land by removing the jews and muslims that lives in the area.

Since the United States is controlled by jews, there would probably be an all out pre-emptive attack within hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9DHgnKeAxo
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:32 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:It does however have 1 billion soldiers already living all over the world, on key positions in societies.

1 billion able-bodied Catholics who are willing to sacrifice their lives for an asshole? No, it does not.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:35 pm

Draconikus wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Nope, we cleverly disabled the Vatican communications system.

Okay, better idea: the US guys are dressed like seminarians. No one who even look at them twice.

US Special Forces undercover as priests? I don't know why, but I find that amusing for some reason....
I'll give that one a moderate chance of succes, seeing as how I would have to know a little more than the basics of the Vatican security system to rate it properly , and they don't seem to give that out on the web.

Well, they wouldn't, would they? I know that the Vatican Security and Intelligence section used to be run by this guy:

But I heard he retired, so it's hard to say how effective they are nowadays.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General