NATION

PASSWORD

你会说中文吗?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:42 am

Cirona wrote:
Strategion wrote:By Chinese language everyone means putonghua.

That's exactly what I hate. Mandarin doesn't deserve to be the standard Chinese. Oh well.

Here's the article I mentioned earlier..

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/27/world ... onese.html

From which..

More than 1,000 people gathered Sunday in Guangzhou, in southern China, to demonstrate against a local politician’s proposal to force a major local television network to stop broadcasting in Cantonese and switch to the country’s official language, Mandarin.

The protest, which was raucous and impassioned, ended peacefully after the police broke up the crowd. But any mention of the demonstration was wiped from many Internet forums on Monday, and only one national newspaper carried a detailed report, indicating that the pro-Cantonese groundswell had become a politically delicate matter.

Cantonese is widely spoken in Hong Kong, Guangdong Province — whose capital is Guangzhou — and neighboring areas. Some call it a dialect of Mandarin, a language spoken commonly in the north, but a growing number of linguists say Cantonese is a separate language. Northerners generally do not understand it, but are used to its strongly pitched sounds because of the ubiquity of Hong Kong movies and Cantonese pop songs.

Concern over the loss of languages and dialects in China is growing. In Tibet and Xinjiang, some ethnic Tibetans and Uighurs say the use of Mandarin as the official teaching language in schools has weakened the fluency of the local languages among many young people. Officials say mastering Mandarin is important for students to compete for jobs and university slots.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Strategion
Envoy

Founded: Sep 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Strategion » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:24 am

Cirona - 我祖先也是从福建省来的,可是我的福建话非常糟. 日常用语还勉强可以,但是我有一次听过夏语新闻广播,一句话也听不懂.

I never really thought of Mandarin being an issue, we more or less just take it for granted that it's the common language over here rather than dialects. Our problem is more that fewer people are reasonably fluent in Chinese now - people complain that English is what's important for jobs and such. Every year they seem to be making the Chinese syllabus easier and dumbing down the textbooks ):

Zonolia
Senator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zonolia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:28 am

是的,我会说中文很好,我可以反正与谷歌翻译方便! :rofl:
Hell hath no fury like a mod scorned.
Kim Berloni-
President of Zonolia.
Population (Homeland+Colonies-As of 03/14/2014): 19,874,000,000
Current Year: 2014
Territories:
(Jikilo Brothers Incorporated)
S Islands Archipelago
Commonwealths:
Cubanonoa
The Island of Gu
Proud Progressive!
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

All Hail Emperor Palpatine, Savior of the Republic and Valiant Destroyer of the Anti-Establishment Jedi Order!

Strategion
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Strategion » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 am

Zonolia wrote:是的,我会说中文很好,我可以反正与谷歌翻译方便! :rofl:

That was a mess =P

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:30 am

Umbagar wrote:你会不会说中文?为什么?我学中文在我的学校,所以我的中文不好。我要知道要是NSG会说中文。 :)

If you don't understand that you can put it into google translate, but I'm wondering if I can practice my Chinese with other NSG'ers.

不,我不会说中文。我不得不通过互联网做翻译的。
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Zonolia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zonolia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:31 am

Strategion wrote:
Zonolia wrote:是的,我会说中文很好,我可以反正与谷歌翻译方便! :rofl:

That was a mess =P

well i cant even translate it I suck...oh well i dont even need it :eek:
Kim Berloni-
President of Zonolia.
Territories:
S Islands Archipelago
Commonwealths:
Cubanonoa
The Island of Gu
Proud Progressive!
Political Compass

All Hail Emperor Palpatine, Savior of the Republic and Valiant Destroyer of the Anti-Establishment Jedi Order!

Strategion
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Strategion » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:33 am

Zonolia wrote:well i cant even translate it I suck...oh well i dont even need it :eek:

Haha no, I was just laughing at the online translators.

Zonolia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zonolia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:34 am

Strategion wrote:
Zonolia wrote:well i cant even translate it I suck...oh well i dont even need it :eek:

Haha no, I was just laughing at the online translators.

ok then so i cant semi translate chinese! :twisted: let ww4-7 begin... :twisted:
Kim Berloni-
President of Zonolia.
Territories:
S Islands Archipelago
Commonwealths:
Cubanonoa
The Island of Gu
Proud Progressive!
Political Compass

Cirona
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cirona » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:35 am

Strategion wrote:Cirona - 我祖先也是从福建省来的,可是我的福建话非常糟. 日常用语还勉强可以,但是我有一次听过夏语新闻广播,一句话也听不懂.

I never really thought of Mandarin being an issue, we more or less just take it for granted that it's the common language over here rather than dialects. Our problem is more that fewer people are reasonably fluent in Chinese now - people complain that English is what's important for jobs and such. Every year they seem to be making the Chinese syllabus easier and dumbing down the textbooks ):

可惜...真可惜!

Anime Daisuki
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Anime Daisuki » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:24 am

Strategion wrote:Cirona - 我祖先也是从福建省来的,可是我的福建话非常糟. 日常用语还勉强可以,但是我有一次听过夏语新闻广播,一句话也听不懂.

As a Singaporean, I'm sure you can appreciate the importance of a common language to nation building. 40 years back our nation not only had fights between ethic groups but also fights within ethic groups. Chinese were using all sorts of dialects and you had a lot of segregation and distrust between groups. Guild halls (同乡会馆) and gangs were formed based on dialect groups. Trade wars and street fights occurred on a daily basis.

Compared it to today. Dialect-group related crime is almost unheard of... I would say the implementation of the Speak Mandarin campaign has had overall positive results.

The promotion of Mandarin over other dialects is not a bad policy. The only regret is that it has always played second fiddle to English, like you pointed out. The extreme irony is that-- even though English is technically Singapore's first language and used as a language of instruction in schools; whenever a Singaporean apply to study in a university overseas (whether in the US, Australia, Britain), he/she is still required to take 'test of english as a foreign language'--which goes to show that Westerners don't consider Singapore an English-speaking society. We are still judged by our skin colour.

Anime Daisuki
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Anime Daisuki » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:31 am

Annoying Brats wrote:I'm Singaporean and we're forced to learn this silly language.

If english is good enough for me its good enough for everyone!

饮水思源, 不能忘本啊!

Strategion
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Strategion » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Oh, I don't really have much against our promotion of Mandarin over dialects either. It was a very pragmatic policy (like always xD) and I think it's a good idea for it to be implemented in China as well, where standardization is even more important. Our dialects are only southern dialects, look at how many dialect groups China would have to attempt to integrate...While I suppose the rationale for selecting Mandarin over any other dialect as the standard Chinese is a bit dubious, it was decided in China almost a hundred years ago and it's a bit too late to change that. Besides, it's easier to learn putonghua than a dialect like say, Hokkien anyway, which has double the number of tones.

I think the selection of English as our common language has as much to do with colonial legacy as it has to do with the PAP having the farsight to bet on English as the new global language. I doubt whether they would have been wise enough to pick English, a completely foreign language, as the common language of instruction/interaction if we happened to have been colonized by the French instead, like Vietnam. As to why we didn't use Chinese instead, most of them were English-educated (and if I'm not wrong LKY's Chinese wasn't particularly good then, haha). Between Chinese and English, English was the more pragmatic and probably the more convenient choice. Anyway, we were pretty lucky that Singapore started off with a 'foundation' in English.

What I don't like is them promoting English at the expense of Chinese. It's perfectly possible to learn two (or more) languages fluently, but under the current system you can still graduate secondary school barely being able to speak Chinese at all. I think it was a terrible idea to remove the Chinese language requirement for university admission, it really reduced the number of people taking Chinese in JC for A levels. At O level standard, with L1R5 you can pretty much just focus on english since you only need one language grade, and if you're in the IP O-level Chinese results technically don't even matter - all you have to do is scrape a pass. Essentially you really only have to get a good score in Chinese at PSLE to be able to forget about it forever. And they were even talking about reducing the weighting of Chinese at PSLE this year! ): Our standard of Chinese is low enough already.

Forget Speak Mandarin campaigns, just increase the importance of Chinese in national exams and I guarantee Singaporeans are going to learn it well :P

The promotion of Mandarin over other dialects is not a bad policy. The only regret is that it has always played second fiddle to English, like you pointed out. The extreme irony is that-- even though English is technically Singapore's first language and used as a language of instruction in schools; whenever a Singaporean apply to study in a university overseas (whether in the US, Australia, Britain), he/she is still required to take 'test of english as a foreign language'--which goes to show that Westerners don't consider Singapore an English-speaking society. We are still judged by our skin colour.

Actually, I applied to overseas universities last year and I didn't have to take TOEFL or its equivalent. Granted that practically everyone who applies to American unis take the SATs which include verbal reasoning and writing, so taking TOEFL on top of that would be pretty redundant. I'm quite sure most UK universities wouldn't require TOEFL either, but I'm not certain if Australian unis require it.

(Yeah, I know I missed your point about discrimination xD)

Is your flag from Fushigi Yuugi btw?
Last edited by Strategion on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:27 pm

There's a lot of talk about Mandarin and 'dialects' of Chinese. I'd like to clarify that the Mandarin, Wu, Yue, Hakka, Min, Xiang, Gan, and to a lesser extent Jin and Southwestern Mandarin are all pretty much separate but related Sinitic languages. Chinese is by no means a single language, and these minority languages to my mind deserve to be recognised as such, protected, and promoted in local Chinese government.

Mandarin is not 'Standard Chinese', but the Beijing dialect is rather the standard form of Mandarin.
Last edited by Angleter on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

L3 Communications
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby L3 Communications » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:33 pm

St George of England wrote:scary language is scary.

that said, I'd rather have learnt chinese than french or german at school.

Indeed. European languages seem to be dying off as far as world business languages are concerned, save English. And even then, that seems like it might be replaced by Mandarin soon.
The Corporate Conglomerate of L3 Communications
L3 Corporate Factbook - L3 Embassy/Consulate Programme - L3 Broadcasting Corporation - L3 Communications - Global Armaments

- Member of The Conglomerate
- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA
Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -4.46

New Nicksyllvania wrote:WA is jew infested tyranny that does not understand freedom and 0% taxation

Lyras wrote:Thirdly, the inclusion of multiple penetration aids (such as flares, chaff, false-target balloons and lubricant)...

New Urcea
Attaché

Founded: Jun 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New Urcea » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:59 pm

L3 Communications wrote:
St George of England wrote:scary language is scary.

that said, I'd rather have learnt chinese than french or german at school.

Indeed. European languages seem to be dying off as far as world business languages are concerned, save English. And even then, that seems like it might be replaced by Mandarin soon.

For just four cents each day, you can help save a poor and dying English language.

Please, its the right thing to do.
{ THE REPUBLIC OF MIRANDA }

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:00 pm

New Urcea wrote:
L3 Communications wrote:

For just four cents each day, you can help save a poor and dying English language.

Please, its the right thing to do.

:lol2:

I really should learn Chinese...
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:05 pm

the problem with killing a chinese zombie thread is that an hour later, I want to kill another one. :unsure:
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General