NATION

PASSWORD

Obamacare Insurance Mandate Ruled Constitutional

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

MisanthropicPopulism
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby MisanthropicPopulism » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:39 am

Deus Malum wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:oh deus dont make me rant! there are several extreme conservative republican/teapartiers who advocate PRIVATISING MEDICARE after spending all last summer scared to death that hcr was going to take it away. and the same "keep your government hands off my medicare" people are working to get them elected!

O_o That is fucking scary.

No one ever went broke overestimating the stupidity of the American public.
Last edited by MisanthropicPopulism on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
When life gives you lemons, lemonade for the lemonade god!

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:41 am

MisanthropicPopulism wrote:
Deus Malum wrote:O_o That is fucking scary.

No one ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the American public.

Other than the California state government, natch.
Technically a Polanski.

Northern Itasca
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Itasca » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:44 am

One federal judge's ruling on something like this doesn't mean much. This is going to the U.S. Supreme Court and then we'll see how things turn out.
Economic Left/Right: 7.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.79

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:08 am

Northern Itasca wrote:One federal judge's ruling on something like this doesn't mean much. This is going to the U.S. Supreme Court and then we'll see how things turn out.

Not necessarily. If enough lower courts make good enough rulings, in the eyes of SCOTUS, they could just as well decide not to hear the case.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

MisanthropicPopulism
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby MisanthropicPopulism » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:11 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Northern Itasca wrote:One federal judge's ruling on something like this doesn't mean much. This is going to the U.S. Supreme Court and then we'll see how things turn out.

Not necessarily. If enough lower courts make good enough rulings, in the eyes of SCOTUS, they could just as well decide not to hear the case.

The John Roberts Supreme Court of Conservatopia? No way. If this gets taken to them, they are going to overrule it quick, fast, and in a hurry. And Scalia will say something hypocritical and condescendingly self-righteous.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:15 am

Farnhamia wrote:Not necessarily. If enough lower courts make good enough rulings, in the eyes of SCOTUS, they could just as well decide not to hear the case.

The John Roberts Supreme Court of Conservatopia? No way. If this gets taken to them, they are going to overrule it quick, fast, and in a hurry. And Scalia will say something hypocritical and condescendingly self-righteous.

dont you wonder if alito regrets his "thats not true" response at the state of the union when the president said that their citizen's united ruliing was going to open the floodgates of corporate cash into elections?
whatever

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 am

Farnhamia wrote:Not necessarily. If enough lower courts make good enough rulings, in the eyes of SCOTUS, they could just as well decide not to hear the case.

And Thomas will say nothing at all. Yeah, I know.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 am

Ashmoria wrote:
MisanthropicPopulism wrote:The John Roberts Supreme Court of Conservatopia? No way. If this gets taken to them, they are going to overrule it quick, fast, and in a hurry. And Scalia will say something hypocritical and condescendingly self-righteous.

dont you wonder if alito regrets his "thats not true" response at the state of the union when the president said that their citizen's united ruliing was going to open the floodgates of corporate cash into elections?

Regrets it? I doubt he does, not for a second, Ash.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:17 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:dont you wonder if alito regrets his "thats not true" response at the state of the union when the president said that their citizen's united ruliing was going to open the floodgates of corporate cash into elections?

Regrets it? I doubt he does, not for a second, Ash.

not the ruling but his obvious stupidity for denying that it was going to happen.
whatever

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:22 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Regrets it? I doubt he does, not for a second, Ash.

not the ruling but his obvious stupidity for denying that it was going to happen.

If he doesn't think it's bad, why would he? And it's hard to tell what he thought was "not true."

Politico.com on 1/27 wrote:"Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests — including foreign corporations — to spend without limit in our elections," Obama said. "Well I don’t think American elections should be bankrolled by America’s most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities. They should be decided by the American people, and that’s why I’m urging Democrats and Republicans to pass a bill that helps to right this wrong."

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005

Postby The Lone Alliance » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:32 am

MisanthropicPopulism wrote:The John Roberts Supreme Court of Conservatopia? No way. If this gets taken to them, they are going to overrule it quick, fast, and in a hurry. And Scalia will say something hypocritical and condescendingly self-righteous.

Can't you hit judges for political pandering?
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

MisanthropicPopulism
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby MisanthropicPopulism » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:35 am

The Lone Alliance wrote:

Can't you hit judges for political pandering?

Not Scalia apparently.

Tenjiku (Ancient)
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tenjiku (Ancient) » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:36 am

I think this is bullshite.

It's like trying to abolish homelessness by "mandating" that everyone purchase a home without taking any serious provisions to make home ownership more affordable, then penalizing those who can't afford insurance.

This is just another disguised bailout, this time for the health insurance industry. And I think it's outrageous that the government is allowed to mandate people to buy any corporate product, particularly one that is as crappy as the health "insurance" being foisted on us by a greedy and corrupt industry.

Missing throughout this whole "debate" was an acknowledgement of the simple fact that health care is not health insurance.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -8.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

Comrad Obama
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Comrad Obama » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:57 am

h.r. 676 was the bill i supported.. but of course that would never pass.. it's too bad that ted kennedy, the champion of health care reform, passed away and was replaced by obstructionist scott brown who didn't have any plans for health care reform, but fair enough.. his opponent, coakley, was an idiot who blew a 20 point lead by not campaigning until the last week! we wouldn't have the public option anyway, obama made a deal to get the mandate in and the public option out back in the summer of 2009.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:04 am

Comrad Obama wrote:h.r. 676 was the bill i supported.. but of course that would never pass.. it's too bad that ted kennedy, the champion of health care reform, passed away and was replaced by obstructionist scott brown who didn't have any plans for health care reform, but fair enough.. his opponent, coakley, was an idiot who blew a 20 point lead by not campaigning until the last week! we wouldn't have the public option anyway, obama made a deal to get the mandate in and the public option out back in the summer of 2009.

yeah

but that doesnt mean that we cant fight to get the public option anyway. i doubt the president would veto it. (the current president, i mean. president PALIN would veto it in a heartbeat)
whatever

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:07 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Comrad Obama wrote:h.r. 676 was the bill i supported.. but of course that would never pass.. it's too bad that ted kennedy, the champion of health care reform, passed away and was replaced by obstructionist scott brown who didn't have any plans for health care reform, but fair enough.. his opponent, coakley, was an idiot who blew a 20 point lead by not campaigning until the last week! we wouldn't have the public option anyway, obama made a deal to get the mandate in and the public option out back in the summer of 2009.

yeah

but that doesnt mean that we cant fight to get the public option anyway. i doubt the president would veto it. (the current president, i mean. president PALIN would veto it in a heartbeat)

Don't even say "President Palin" in jest, Ash.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:08 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:yeah

Don't even say "President Palin" in jest, Ash.

im sorry. i didnt mean to make you ill.
whatever

Vestbredden
Spokesperson

Founded: May 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Nationalize the healthcare.

Postby Vestbredden » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:23 am

It would have been better if the hospitals and clinics had been nationalized. All healthcare could be paid for though taxes. All medical personell would be government employees with a fixed yearly income.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:42 am

Vestbredden wrote:It would have been better if the hospitals and clinics had been nationalized. All healthcare could be paid for though taxes. All medical personell would be government employees with a fixed yearly income.

thats what my (republican) husband thinks.

i called him a communist.
whatever

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:29 pm

Tenjiku wrote:I think this is bullshite.

It's like trying to abolish homelessness by "mandating" that everyone purchase a home without taking any serious provisions to make home ownership more affordable, then penalizing those who can't afford insurance.

This is just another disguised bailout, this time for the health insurance industry. And I think it's outrageous that the government is allowed to mandate people to buy any corporate product, particularly one that is as crappy as the health "insurance" being foisted on us by a greedy and corrupt industry.

Missing throughout this whole "debate" was an acknowledgement of the simple fact that health care is not health insurance.

Another stellar legal argument refuting the District Court's decision and clearly demonstrating the Health Care Reform Act is unconstitutional .....

.... EXCEPT it does NOT refer to the law, the Constitution, the District Court's decision, or make anything resembling a coherent legal argument.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:03 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Tenjiku wrote:I think this is bullshite.

Another stellar legal argument refuting the District Court's decision and clearly demonstrating the Health Care Reform Act is unconstitutional .....

.... EXCEPT it does NOT refer to the law, the Constitution, the District Court's decision, or make anything resembling a coherent legal argument.

I don't think that was so much aimed at the constitutionality as the insanity of some of the bill.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

The Twilight Shadow
Envoy

Founded: Jun 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Twilight Shadow » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:39 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Vestbredden wrote:It would have been better if the hospitals and clinics had been nationalized. All healthcare could be paid for though taxes. All medical personell would be government employees with a fixed yearly income.

thats what my (republican) husband thinks.

i called him a communist.

Call him a Canadian, that's more or less how our public health care system works. What you Americans must remember is that a public health care system is funded by taxes, taxes are controlled by the gov't and the gov't is controlled by the people. Contrary to what the powers that be would have you believe he government doesn't tell you what's going to happen, YOU tell the GOVERNMENT what's going to happen. Therefore the people control a public health care system while with private health care the only control they have is whether to choose to purchase it or not. Now understanding this, and the fact you have just lost your choice of whether to purchase health insurance from the private sector it seems to me that your options are becoming increasingly limited. First off you could become extremely selective as to which companies you purchase from, which has limited flexibility if they all practice similar stratagies to screw you. (And we must remember that just because you pay your premiums does not mean you will automatically be eligable to claim your insurance. They DO try and find any excuse they can not to pay.) However that means incuring more debt, both on an individual and national level and anyone who's looked into how the banking system works. . .

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 790090544# (Watch it or don't. I merely post it to give you the choice.)

knows that unless there is substantial monatary reform we're due for more economic crashes the farther the right we go. Besides shouldn't everyone be entitled to decent health care in this day and age? Everyone pays taxes. Everyone has, or should have, a political voice, and last I checked every adult American citizen has the right to vote. So why do Americans feel as if they are not in control of the public sector? What I do not understand about American culture is how you can not feel obligated to pay for someone else's needs when they are, at least in part, paying for yours and why you would feel this type of relationship is inappropriate. Why the rich would not be ethically obligated to take care of the poor. Why hoarding of money and self centeredness is so prevalent in your country. I'm all for freedom, self improvement and individuality but one must remember that one is dependant, always and every step of the way, upon the community they are in. Every meal you eat had to be grown by a farmer somewhere, and cooked by someone and power supplied by someone. Your parents raised you, you have friends that support you, random events that help you get you where you are going, life is full of these things. Point is the self made man is a myth. Go buy and sell to your hearts content but don't think one person is an army unto themselves.

We the people are the political control and financial strength of a public health care system. But with private health care you're on your own. And from what I see America is getting screwed.
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:45 pm

Caninope wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:

I don't think that was so much aimed at the constitutionality as the insanity of some of the bill.

Then why vent it on a thread about the judicial ruling? It's clear-cut threadjacking.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:05 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:
Caninope wrote:I don't think that was so much aimed at the constitutionality as the insanity of some of the bill.

Then why vent it on a thread about the judicial ruling? It's clear-cut threadjacking.

Because it's on a related tangent, and starting yet another thread on the bill would be a waste.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Korintar
Minister

Founded: Nov 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Korintar » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:16 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Hassett wrote:So basically, congress was like, "eh, you're probably gonna use it so let's make it mandatory."

it doesnt work out financially if large numbers of healthy people are allowed to opt out of insurance. so they mandated it.

now they have to figure out a way to make it really affordable for everyone.

But why allow currently existing private insurance companies to run things? Just seems a little to friendly to the scumbags for my tastes. Maybe the currently existing companies could be disolved and have insurance funds offered through a workplace or network of medical centers with the workers, in the case of workplace health insurance, or patient/consumers, in the case of the medical network, manage the funds (worker and consumer cooperatives) as a side benefit, not as a separate for-profit business. Those that would fall between the cracks in such a system would have a public option to fall back on (basically Medicare/Medicaid with a greatly enhanced budget).
Factbook, Q&A; Nat'l Standards Warning: Agreeing to RP with me assumes an acceptance of Any-Tech Rping and/or the use of dragons in Warfare unless we come to an agreement beforehand.
Jolt Veteran. (-6.00,-.31), (-7.25,1.08) (economic, social)
'So.... a complete disregard for societal norms is.... communist? If that's true, then sign me up.'- Lunatic Goofballs
'If you're taking White Castle hanburgers rectally, you're really doing that wrong. They go in the other end of the alimentary system.'-Farnhamia
'Space Mussolini! Go, go, go!'- TSS @ GWO
Reppy's PG opinion of Jolt
The Gidgetisms: Go no fuck? The Parkus Empire: As in, go, go Gadget no fuck.
Oterro: International incidents->"New Thread"->[Thread title]->[Thread OP]->War->GWO intervention

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General