NATION

PASSWORD

Obamacare Insurance Mandate Ruled Constitutional

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:24 am

Yootwopia wrote:I have no real comments on its constitutionality, but big props for basically getting to where we were in 1911, Americans.

:(
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:24 am

Ashmoria wrote:yeah im not all that fond of proving that the sky is blue.

if you dont pay enough attention to politics to know what the republicans are campaigning on im not interested in spoon feeding it to you.

Problem being, of course, that the sky is always blue. In fact, where I live, the sky is rarely blue. Common 'knowledge' is rarely commonly known, or for that matter, actually fact.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Consaria
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Consaria » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:24 am

Wow, what a-holes. I always know that it was constitutional, just a bad bill. What happens where the insurance companies say, "Health insurance is now $50,000 a year!" I can safely say that I'd rather have single payer than this.
Last edited by Consaria on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE XI COMMANDMENT
Thou shall not use the AK-47 as their military's main assault weapon, as the AKM is superior in all ways, including price.
Consarian Government Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.41
Factbook
Tropical Industries

Personal Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.41

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:27 am

Conserative Morality wrote:

if you dont pay enough attention to politics to know what the republicans are campaigning on im not interested in spoon feeding it to you.

Problem being, of course, that the sky is always blue. In fact, where I live, the sky is rarely blue. Common 'knowledge' is rarely commonly known, or for that matter, actually fact.

The obvious solution would to get your head out of the clouds and get out of Maryland. :p
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:27 am

like i just said to dyakovo. if you would rather believe that the republicans are proposing repealing health care reform and going back to denying babies insurance, go ahead. it certainly doesnt make them look better so its better for me if you believe it.
whatever

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:31 am

Ashmoria wrote:like i just said to dyakovo. if you would rather believe that the republicans are proposing repealing health care reform and going back to denying babies insurance, go ahead. it certainly doesnt make them look better so its better for me if you believe it.

You know, ignoring scientific evidence also doesn't make them look all that well either, but they still do it. It wouldn't matter if the Government was repealing the minimum wage, if the PR spin and animosity for certain ideals and terms is strong enough, you can get people to screw themselves and their families over any number of times.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:33 am

Ashmoria wrote:like i just said to dyakovo. if you would rather believe that the republicans are proposing repealing health care reform and going back to denying babies insurance, go ahead. it certainly doesnt make them look better so its better for me if you believe it.

You know, ignoring scientific evidence also doesn't make them look all that well either, but they still do it. It wouldn't matter if the Government was repealing the minimum wage, if the PR spin and animosity for certain ideals and terms is strong enough, you can get people to screw themselves and their families over any number of times.

a number of the tea party candidates ARE running on doing away with the minimum wage....

it is very sad that instead of another 2 years of progress we are looking at 2 years of holding onto the gains we have already made against a tide of republican stupid.
whatever

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:35 am

Ashmoria wrote:a number of the tea party candidates ARE running on doing away with the minimum wage....

Thank you for reinforcing my point, care to find that link now?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:36 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Thing is, I've never heard a Republican candidate say any such thing, and being (officially at least) a member of the party I get a crap load of mail from them...

well when you see it, you will know what im talking about.

i doesnt much matter, the president will veto any repeal of health care reform.

Uh huh and the republicans will respond by attaching the repeal to the budget.
No budget = no subsidies. For health care or anything.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:38 am

greed and death wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
well when you see it, you will know what im talking about.

i doesnt much matter, the president will veto any repeal of health care reform.

Uh huh and the republicans will respond by attaching the repeal to the budget.

yeah

that shutting down the government didnt work all that well in '94 it wont go over well in '11
whatever

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:44 am

I find several flaws with the court's ruling.
They fail to differentiate those who can afford and those who can not afford out of pocket care.
Furthermore I find the courts logic, Health care must be mandated because the bill that mandates its care sets conditions requiring it to be mandated, to be circular.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Waldo followers
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Waldo followers » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:45 am

yea its constitutional
but will it be good?
for the welfare guys yes
All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing, and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway.
Harry S. Truman
winner of the KKK's distinguished burning cross award
about me:
political party: Republican but both sides are insane
nationality: American sadly
Religon: Christian, but i'm not an extreamist
Favorite country: Switzerland
economic standing: capitalist
what scares me: mushrooms, being alone with a baby
credit card number: 536- hold on a second....
percent of people who laughed at the joke above 0%

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:47 am

Ashmoria wrote:
greed and death wrote:Uh huh and the republicans will respond by attaching the repeal to the budget.

yeah

that shutting down the government didnt work all that well in '94 it wont go over well in '11

Yeah because you know the Republicans lost congress immediately, and have never again been allowed in the white house since '96.
Also the advantage in this case is if they shut down the government, the mandate would still be present, but the subsidies to help afford the mandate would not be. Namely an idea situation for Republican fear mongering of see told you the poor are being taxed for not being insured.
Barack Obama

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:49 am

greed and death wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:yeah

Yeah because you know the Republicans lost congress immediately, and have never again been allowed in the white house since '96.
Also the advantage in this case is if they shut down the government, the mandate would still be present, but the subsidies to help afford the mandate would not be. Namely an idea situation for Republican fear mongering of see told you the poor are being taxed for not being insured.

its not in effect in '11
whatever

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:50 am

Ashmoria wrote:
greed and death wrote:Yeah because you know the Republicans lost congress immediately, and have never again been allowed in the white house since '96.

its not in effect in '11

Then they will wait until '14.
I am thinking with Howard Dean's logic in this case.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/0 ... 73218.html
Barack Obama

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:56 am

greed and death wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
its not in effect in '11

Then they will wait until '14.

i dont think it will be but it is the minor part of health care reform or the repeal of it.

i dont LOVE the mandate but the system doesnt work without it. how can you justify letting people go without insurance and then requiring the insurance companies to take them when they get an illness they cant afford?

what i DONT want is for the 2 parties to keep playing hot potato with the welfare of the country. the republicans have worked hard to make sure we DONT recover economically so that they will win in november. i dont want the democrats to do the same so that they regain congress in '12.
whatever

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:00 pm

New new nebraska wrote:http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/obamacare-passes-its-first-test/?hp

The article outlines a pretty diverse range of view points from various blogs. Basically the judge ruled that healthcare is a unique industry. Since the ER won't refuse a sick person we can't opt out of healthcare unless we air home and die. Everyone is bound to need healthcare at somepoint. And actually those without insurance are more likely to need it because they don't catch symptoms early. So since we will use or at leat are very,very,very likely to use, healthcare much like we use or might use the police why shouldn't we be mandated to have insurance to pay for it much like our axes go to the police. We shift the burden of pay to earlier rather than later, and in the process will save mony because preventive cre is cheaper.

Sowhat foes NSG think of health care reform,s constitioninality?

IMHO, the judge is if full of it.

Figures, a Clinton appointee.
Last edited by You-Gi-Owe on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
greed and death wrote:Then they will wait until '14.

i dont think it will be but it is the minor part of health care reform or the repeal of it.

i dont LOVE the mandate but the system doesnt work without it. how can you justify letting people go without insurance and then requiring the insurance companies to take them when they get an illness they cant afford?

what i DONT want is for the 2 parties to keep playing hot potato with the welfare of the country. the republicans have worked hard to make sure we DONT recover economically so that they will win in november. i dont want the democrats to do the same so that they regain congress in '12.

As Dean said the mandate is not necessary, from his state's example with children's health care.
The people who cheat the system are in such a minority they barely affect the aggregate.
Barack Obama

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:10 pm

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The enemy is advancing.
Cobhanglica's top officials
President: George Rockwell
Sec. of Foreign Relations: Martin Lansing
Sec. of Defense: General James Arnold
Sec. of Trade: Henry Ford Smith

My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.72

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:13 pm

greed and death wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:i dont think it will be but it is the minor part of health care reform or the repeal of it.

As Dean said the mandate is not necessary, from his state's example with children's health care.
The people who cheat the system are in such a minority they barely affect the aggregate.

in any case the price of the mandate vs the price of insurance is so lopsided that anyone not wanting insurance is far better off taking the fine. that alone should test the validity of dean's theory.
whatever

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:14 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
greed and death wrote:As Dean said the mandate is not necessary, from his state's example with children's health care.

in any case the price of the mandate vs the price of insurance is so lopsided that anyone not wanting insurance is far better off taking the fine. that alone should test the validity of dean's theory.

I find the idea of paying a fine for the following of my religious beliefs repulsive.
Barack Obama

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:14 pm

Yeah, putting the bureaucrats in with the insurance company salesmen to battle out the treatment for the individual in a game where cash is king will certainly not lead down a path of disaster in both financial and health care related terms.

I am all for socialized health care, but it has to be affordable by the state and it IS expensive to implement and sustain. Whereas a private sector with some government guidelines might do things as good if not even better. Among the things this bill does is evaluate via said bureaucrats the standard of the consisting health insurance for said individual, demand people pay for a new program if they see it fit and to any dissidents of this norm they can fine in various different ways. The way they plan to cut spending is to reduce the sustainable growth rate, basically how much doctors are paid, but the last five time they have attempted to do this they did not lower it, in fact, they voted to raise it. They also seem to have calculated the cost for this bill the same way they calculated the cost for medicare. Which only ended up being tenfold as expensive as it was first considered to be.

The only norm that should be implemented for the time being is to read a bill before it is passed. It more or less started with the patriot act, but for the last two years it has been going on at an accelerated rate and this is by no standard a good norm. Nor is politically driven legislation in the same package said to aid rescue workers of 9/11.

The change has just begun, a shame it looks like a shitty change.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Doitzel
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Doitzel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:23 pm

You-Gi-Owe wrote:IMHO, the judge is if full of it.

Well-put! You convinced me.
TWP: Where stupid goes to die
Official Tree-hugger of The West Pacific.

-2.12, -4.67

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Saiwania wrote:I still will not pay a damn dime into it. :evil:

So you plan on going to jail for tax evasion?

I'd become Amish before falling under their collectivist tyranny. I'll hold out as long as I can. This is not the country I once loved and I may very well renounce it one of those days. This largely depends on how harshly persecuted I am on this. I feel I'm able to wait it out until it gets defunded, repealed or what have you if the Republicans take over. The early Christians were persecuted by the Romans and yet they prevailed in the long term. This is how the government wants to control your life, if you can't afford private insurance you are coerced into taking government subsidies and once you're pulled in, you have to live by their rules on how to live. No more individual choice. It is simply something I won't believe in and will stand by on principle. I bet despite all the mandated fines, the IRS will never collect as much as they would've thought. People in the know will exploit any and all loopholes or they will find it cheaper to accept the fine than take insurance and it'll be a colossal failure. Obamacare will not drive down the cost over time. This is the same failed logic of thinking that more taxes on the rich will collect more revenue when they simply move with their feet.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Saiwania wrote:I still will not pay a damn dime into it. :evil:

So you plan on going to jail for tax evasion?

the law specifically forbids jail time and felony tax evasion charges.
Leaving only Misdemeanor tax evasion, basically a fine up to 5,000.
Though refusal to pay that could result in jail time.
Barack Obama

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General