NATION

PASSWORD

Any Monarchists on NS?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:40 am

Nadkor wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:It's not essential, it's custom. It could be abolished at any time by parliament. In Britain, it's the parliament that is sovereign, not the Monarch. The Monarch is only a part of the Parliament in British constitutional tradition.

And, tell me, what are the three components of the British Parliament (hint: you can find the answer in my signature)? What is the enacting clause in UK legislation?

The House of Commons, the House of Lords, and the Monarch. I'm not certain about the enacting clause in UK legislation, but I believe it's something to the effect of "If it pleases His (or Her) Majesty..."

I'm not a British constitutional scholar, I'm a political theorist. It's still very much true that the Monarch has no role in the British constitution independent of the elected government.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Flaming Soul Forces
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Flaming Soul Forces » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:55 am

Jervak wrote:Reactionary and disgustingly outdated idea. Get rid of it so humanity can progress. Thankyou, come again.

this
Founder of ''THE ALTERNATIVE LEFT'' Now in ESQUARIUM!
Bachelor of Arts in European Studies
BISEXUAL
Economic Left/Right: -5.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95
Not the average Greek-Cypriot

''In most countries, when people see a same-sex couple they assume they're gay and when they see an opposite-sex couple they assume they're straight. In Codifin, when we see a same-sex couple we think that they're acting on their same-sex attraction and when we see an opposite-sex couple we think that they're acting on their opposite-sex attraction. And the reason is that everyone is assumed to be bisexual, until stating otherwise.''
Flaming Soul Forces aka COÐÍFIN
Remember remember, the 26 of November (2015): the day the civil partnership bill became a law in CYPRUS

Rhursbourg
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhursbourg » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:05 pm

iam a constitutional monarchist
Economic Left/Right: -9.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.9

Abdju
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Abdju » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:14 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:Now, to the main topic, I'm going to be honest: I am indeed a monarchist, being disillusioned with democracy. I look at every. single. one. of the "democracies" of the world, and what do I see? Corrupt, shortsighed idiots, dominated by whoever shovels the most money into their re-election funds and unwilling to take any steps or enact any policies that don't generate huge benefits before their next election, for fear of generating attack ads against themselves for "wasting" taxpayer money on stuff that hasn't produced anything yet.

This I agree with 100%, and I likewise support a monarchical system, though I am for all intents and purposes an Absolutist, though one of the rare breeds of that school of thought who is also economically "left". My "ideal" system would be an absolute monarchy guided by cultural custom as the main constraint on actions, with economic activity based on a command economy within royal monopolies on the large scale, but with private activity being permitted on the petty/individual level. Wealth always ultimately translates into power, so control of both the source as well as the distribution of wealth is, in my view, essential to maintaining the power, authority and integrity, as well as the actual influence and ability to act of the throne. If you cannot control where and how the wealth of your nation is spent, then you have no real control over its direction at all.

Left/Right -5.25 | Auth/Lib: +2.57 |
"Objectivism really is a Fountainhead of philosophical diarrhea" - derscon
"God Hates Fags But Says It's Okay to Double Dip" - Gauthier

Great Nepal - Tax supporting environment are useless, we can live without it.
Great Nepal - Lions can't fly. Therefore, eagles are superior.
Turan Cumhuriyeti - no you presented lower quality of brain
Greed and Death - Spanish was an Amerindian language.
Sungai Pusat - No, I know exactly what happened. The Titanic had left USA's shores and somewhere near the Arctic Circle
Derscon - I let Jews handle my money, not my penis.
Fevolo - i'm not talking about catholics. i'm talking about christians.

Icemany
Envoy

Founded: Aug 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Icemany » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:31 pm

Im very proud that the UK is monarchy and I would never want to become a republic unless the monarchy regained its power, which is unlikely.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:02 pm

Abdju wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:Now, to the main topic, I'm going to be honest: I am indeed a monarchist, being disillusioned with democracy. I look at every. single. one. of the "democracies" of the world, and what do I see? Corrupt, shortsighed idiots, dominated by whoever shovels the most money into their re-election funds and unwilling to take any steps or enact any policies that don't generate huge benefits before their next election, for fear of generating attack ads against themselves for "wasting" taxpayer money on stuff that hasn't produced anything yet.

This I agree with 100%, and I likewise support a monarchical system, though I am for all intents and purposes an Absolutist, though one of the rare breeds of that school of thought who is also economically "left". My "ideal" system would be an absolute monarchy guided by cultural custom as the main constraint on actions, with economic activity based on a command economy within royal monopolies on the large scale, but with private activity being permitted on the petty/individual level. Wealth always ultimately translates into power, so control of both the source as well as the distribution of wealth is, in my view, essential to maintaining the power, authority and integrity, as well as the actual influence and ability to act of the throne. If you cannot control where and how the wealth of your nation is spent, then you have no real control over its direction at all.

So, we share the same diagnosis (democracy simply doesn't work, for a multitude of reasons), but very different prescriptions: I was rather proposing a strong - but constitutional - monarchy (think one with a bit less political power than the US Presidency) which would be required to respect a variety of rights & freedoms on the part of its people (including extensive economic freedoms), not an absolutist model. Remember, for every Catherine II, there's a Paul III....
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Sveltz
Envoy

Founded: Mar 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sveltz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:52 am

Island sodor wrote:Death to all monarchies the are the most dictorial of all forcing people to worship the king/queen as if they were god.....hell to the no!!!! Long live the communist revolution and the revolutoin of the people for the republic!!!!

Unfortunately, this particular individual hasn't the slightest clue what modern monarchy is and to top it off he admires people like Stalin and Kim Il-Sung. Communism is the only government that has been proven to fail time and again.

Valkern
Attaché

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Valkern » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:52 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:Now, to the main topic, I'm going to be honest: I am indeed a monarchist, being disillusioned with democracy. I look at every. single. one. of the "democracies" of the world, and what do I see? Corrupt, shortsighed idiots, dominated by whoever shovels the most money into their re-election funds and unwilling to take any steps or enact any policies that don't generate huge benefits before their next election, for fear of generating attack ads against themselves for "wasting" taxpayer money on stuff that hasn't produced anything yet. One sterling example is the healthcare "reform" bill that got through the US Congress: Big Pharma marshalled ten lobbyists for every man and woman in Congress (the Reps and the Senate combined), and got the damn bill watered down to the point of unrecognisability.

New Chalcedon wrote:So, we share the same diagnosis (democracy simply doesn't work, for a multitude of reasons), but very different prescriptions: I was rather proposing a strong - but constitutional - monarchy (think one with a bit less political power than the US Presidency) which would be required to respect a variety of rights & freedoms on the part of its people (including extensive economic freedoms), not an absolutist model. Remember, for every Catherine II, there's a Paul III....

I agree, republics are almost always corrupt, and those that aren't (assuming they even exist) are too small to matter. A constitutional monarchy with the monarch having some real power is the best form of government, since you gain the benefit of a powerful politician who is not dependent on the favour of "special interests". Think about it, monarchies have been with us for thousands of years, if they weren't a good way of running things, then we wouldn't still have them today.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:20 pm

Valkern wrote:Think about it, monarchies have been with us for thousands of years, if they weren't a good way of running things, then we wouldn't still have them today.

Argumentum ad antiquitatem?
Last edited by Person012345 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Acadzia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Acadzia » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:27 pm

Valkern wrote:Think about it, male nipples have been with us for thousands of years, if they weren't useful, then we wouldn't still have them today.
The Kingdom of Atlantis in A Modern World. Join us, we rock.

Glorious Homeland
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Homeland » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:39 pm

The Irish Marchlands wrote:
Narcidia wrote:I'm quite supportive of an absolute monarchist government type. Unfortunately the places in the world with them are blooming ****ing mental and all of the other monarchs are weakened by democratic reforms because they didn't have the strength to hold up their crown.

ctually Most European Monarchies became Republics after WWI largely because of American Influence in the post war negotiations, the irony would be if Russia had not become communist, the Russians would likely have prevented the axis powers from losing or weakening their monarchies after they lost. They'd still pay reparations out the wazoo though.

Nonsense, the empowerment of parliaments in Europe as opposed to absolute monarchies was a gradual process over centuries. The Americans had nothing to do with, Why would they in 1918, when Britain remained a super power? The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden? The Americans were supportive of monarchists in Italy immediately after world war two, for instance, as they were anti-communist. The CIA pumped lots of money into their bank accounts to spend money on campaigning, as well as other things in that era.

...bar Germany-Austria of course.
Last edited by Glorious Homeland on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marsheebi
Civilian

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Any Monarchists on NS?

Postby Marsheebi » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:42 pm

Hello, French Monarchist here.
I have a soft spot for Absolutism, but recognize the usefulness of a constitution in the style of the German Empire.
Also, a little enamored with Napoleon Bonaparte.
Vive le Roy! Vive l'Empereur!

Kazomal
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kazomal » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:50 pm

Ifreann wrote:The President is in a very good position to represent Ireland abroad, being elected by the people, but also separate from the government and the need to maintain popularity. They have other powers too. They can refer bills to the people or the Supreme Court.

This is different how? By the very fact of being elected the President Does need to maintain popularity in order to represent, she's still no different from other politicians. The Queen does a better job of representing Britain BECAUSE she hasnt been elected. She has no bias and owes her position to no one, the need to maintain popularity is non-existent, preventing the queen from being divisive, which is good in Britain where the population has become very diverse

But doesn't this also mean that a monarch can represent their people poorly? What if the monarch is at odds with the majority of the people in the state they are head of?
Check out Rabbit Punch, the MMA, Sports, News & Politics blog, now in two great flavors!

Rabbit Punch: Sports (MMA and Sports Blog)- http://www.rabbitpunch1.blogspot.com
Rabbit Punch: Politics (News and Politics, the Ultimate Contact Sports)- http://rabbitpunchpolitics.blogspot.com/

Glorious Homeland
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Homeland » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:51 pm

Marsheebi wrote:Hello, French Monarchist here.
I have a soft spot for Absolutism, but recognize the usefulness of a constitution in the style of the German Empire.

Lol, the one country that hates royals the most has to be France, you must be despised :P

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:55 pm

It is unfortunate that we all do not have the capacity to travel back in time. We could've foreseen what would've happen then, and maybe prevented failed social experiment such as communism from ever establishing itself in the first place. But then again we can't.
On the subject of a monarchic state. I'd actually like a constitutional monarchic state where the royal family is the one who manage the actual affair of the state, working together with a prime minister chosen by the general voting system. Both of them would have the capacity to check each other's power.
A parliament chosen by the voters would be the one that consolidate the check and balance system furthermore.
However by looking at history itself, we all will realize that such a system (a really prestigious system in my opinion) will work only in a country with a high percentage of educated population, and quite a liberal national mindset, although quite conservative as well (liberal conservative).
This type of government where the royal head of state (emperor/king/queen whateva) will only be effective in a country such as the U.K. where a long tradition and respect for the royal family is established already. The Kingdom of Netherlands and even the present Germany do have the ability to work a wonder with the monarchy system presented above. And just the feel of your country having a responsible monarch is just.. well.. good. Something that the whole country can be proud about (in my opinion of course) :)
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

The Irish Marchlands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish Marchlands » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Acadzia wrote:
Valkern wrote:Think about it, male nipples have been with us for thousands of years, if they weren't useful, then we wouldn't still have them today.

Comparing Politics to Evolutionary advances and anachronism = fail
For RP purposes my nation has 16 million people.
Militarily, the standing military forces amount to a 10th of the population, 1,600,000 with a substantial amount of the civilian population trained due to an Opt Out national service and a Jingoistic national attitude.

The Irish Marchlands Factbook
Wars
War of Lebourean Liberation - Result: Co-alition victory, regime change, end to genocide, religious freedom guaranteed for all the people of Leboure
Seal

Economic Left/Right: 0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.49
Le political test: http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graphic2/169329_eng.jpg
Just call me Mr. Righty McRightright

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:24 pm

The last monarch of The Rich Port died old, depressed, and alone on Exodus Island.

A common fate for a lot of monarchs, I'm certain. All of that power, pomp, and holyness can REALLY go to someone's head.

I've yet to meet a good monarch. Would be awesome if I had some samples.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Irish Marchlands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish Marchlands » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:40 pm

The Rich Port wrote:The last monarch of The Rich Port died old, depressed, and alone on Exodus Island.

A common fate for a lot of monarchs, I'm certain. All of that power, pomp, and holyness can REALLY go to someone's head.

The Kings of Norway, Spain, and Denmark are reportedly good chaps.
Militarily, the standing military forces amount to a 10th of the population, 1,600,000 with a substantial amount of the civilian population trained due to an Opt Out national service and a Jingoistic national attitude.

Wars
War of Lebourean Liberation - Result: Co-alition victory, regime change, end to genocide, religious freedom guaranteed for all the people of Leboure
Seal

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:48 pm

The Rich Port wrote:The last monarch of The Rich Port died old, depressed, and alone on Exodus Island.

The Kings of Norway, Spain, and Denmark are reportedly good chaps.

I dunno. The Spanish Monarchs may have been decent, but, coincidentally, had several Native American genocides under their belt. Also, I hear they were terribly inbred, almost obscenely so.

But Denmark and Norway? Interesting, what do you know about them? :geek:
Last edited by The Rich Port on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Irish Marchlands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish Marchlands » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:57 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
The Irish Marchlands wrote:The Kings of Norway, Spain, and Denmark are reportedly good chaps.

I dunno. The Spanish Monarchs may have been decent, but, coincidentally, had several Native American genocides under their belt. Also, I hear they were terribly inbred, almost obscenely so.

Very little other then the King of Norway is the EPITOME of a powerless monarch, his parliament has even stripped AND EXILED the nobility of the country. The man seems to have either taken it in his stride or decided to keep quiet until he's eventually overthrown by the parliament, Denmark's Monarchys is the oldest in Europe and its still going, and as far as I can tell its one of the most robust and healthy of monarchies with a surprising support base in its country, the Heir apparent has taken an American to be his Queen consort so liklihood of inbreeding in the next generation is small to non-existent.

Also you're using CHarles II against the current King Juan Carlos? The current family is of House Bourbon and is far removed from Charles II's inbreeding.

Wars
Seal

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:01 pm

The Rich Port wrote:

Very little other then the King of Norway is the EPITOME of a powerless monarch, his parliament has even stripped AND EXILED the nobility of the country. The man seems to have either taken it in his stride or decided to keep quiet until he's eventually overthrown by the parliament, Denmark's Monarchys is the oldest in Europe and its still going, and as far as I can tell its one of the most robust and healthy of monarchies with a surprising support base in its country, the Heir apparent has taken an American to be his Queen consort so liklihood of inbreeding in the next generation is small to non-existent.

Also you're using CHarles II against the current King Juan Carlos? The current family is of House Bourbon and is far removed from Charles II's inbreeding.

I could care less if they're inbred. You like what you like, even if it happens to be your sister. :meh:

The monarchical structure allows little room for constructive criticism. A king may have advisors, but it's totally up to what kind of King you're dealing with. Unfortunately, most monarchs have proven less than cordial, both with their subjects and with other countries. Revolutions happen rightfully so.

I'm desperate to find a benevolent monarch, one who actually made the system work.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Irish Marchlands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish Marchlands » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:04 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
The Irish Marchlands wrote:Very little other then the King of Norway is the EPITOME of a powerless monarch, his parliament has even stripped AND EXILED the nobility of the country. The man seems to have either taken it in his stride or decided to keep quiet until he's eventually overthrown by the parliament, Denmark's Monarchys is the oldest in Europe and its still going, and as far as I can tell its one of the most robust and healthy of monarchies with a surprising support base in its country, the Heir apparent has taken an American to be his Queen consort so liklihood of inbreeding in the next generation is small to non-existent.

I could care less if they're inbred. You like what you like, even if it happens to be your sister. :meh:

The monarchical structure allows little room for constructive criticism. A king may have advisors, but it's totally up to what kind of King you're dealing with. Unfortunately, most monarchs have proven less than cordial, both with their subjects and with other countries. Revolutions happen rightfully so.

I'm desperate to find a benevolent monarch, one who actually made the system work.

Catherine the Great of Russia.

Also I'll think you find if you study the more famous revolutions closely enough you'll find very few of them are justifiably even given whatever level of horror the previous regime implied. For example, we have the view of the French Monarchy being horrifically uncaring and oppressive prior tot he French revolution yes? Then why was it being decried by all of its neighbours for being liberal?

Wars
Seal

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:06 pm

The Rich Port wrote:I could care less if they're inbred. You like what you like, even if it happens to be your sister. :meh:

I think the current King of Bhutan is pretty cool, forcing his country to democracy against its wishes and all.

Although maybe banning Traffic lights and forcing people to wear all clothes isn't the best idea.
Last edited by South Norwega on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:00 pm

Glorious Homeland wrote:
Marsheebi wrote:Hello, French Monarchist here.

Lol, the one country that hates royals the most has to be France, you must be despised :P

He's not French: the telltale mis-spelling of "Roy" gives it away. It's spelt as "Vive le Roi".
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

The Irish Marchlands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish Marchlands » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:41 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:
Glorious Homeland wrote:Lol, the one country that hates royals the most has to be France, you must be despised :P

He's not French: the telltale mis-spelling of "Roy" gives it away. It's spelt as "Vive le Roi".

He may be second generation French, dont be so harsh

Wars
Seal

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General