NATION

PASSWORD

Prostitution?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Quacawa
Secretary

Founded: Sep 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Prostitution?

Postby Quacawa » Fri May 15, 2009 2:07 pm

Should it be legal? Reasons?

If it should be legal, should we allow brothels etc.?

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Prostitution?

Postby Big Jim P » Fri May 15, 2009 2:10 pm

A person should be allowed to do anything they wish with their bodies (including prostitution) so long as it harms no one else.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Quacawa
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Quacawa » Fri May 15, 2009 2:13 pm

What about people who are exploited by "pimps"? Should they be elevated to businessmen?

Quacawa
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Quacawa » Fri May 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Big Jim P wrote:A person should be allowed to do anything they wish with their bodies (including prostitution) so long as it harms no one else.

Does this mean we legalize drugs?

Velkya
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 01, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Velkya » Fri May 15, 2009 2:16 pm

Quacawa wrote:Does this mean we legalize drugs?

Why not?
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
-The Joker

Quacawa
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Quacawa » Fri May 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Velkya wrote:

Why not?

I haven't voiced an opinion, I am just putting questions to Big Jim P. Though this thread is meant o be about prostitution not drugs...

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri May 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Quacawa wrote:What about people who are exploited by "pimps"? Should they be elevated to businessmen?

Yes. One reason the German and Swedish experiments w/ quasi-legal prostitution have failed to reduce human trafficing and sex slavery is that they haven't done this. In those countries, individual women -- and it's nearly all women -- wanting to be prostitutes must work for a brothel. All that does is replace illegal exploitation with legal exploitation.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Quacawa
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Quacawa » Fri May 15, 2009 2:21 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Quacawa wrote:What about people who are exploited by "pimps"? Should they be elevated to businessmen?

Yes. One reason the German and Swedish experiments w/ quasi-legal prostitution have failed to reduce human trafficing and sex slavery is that they haven't done this. In those countries, individual women -- and it's nearly all women -- wanting to be prostitutes must work for a brothel. All that does is replace illegal exploitation with legal exploitation.

So legalizing brothels will increase the saftey/ reduce trafficking of women?

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Fri May 15, 2009 2:21 pm

Legalize it. then it becomes a safe, regulated, and taxable industry, a lot like in the US State of Nevada.
The Cake is a lie!
<<Peace through Fear and Superior Firepower>>

STOP AMERICAN IMPERIALISM? America is ANTI-IMPERIAL!
Ifreann wrote:"And in world news, the United States has recently elected Bill Gates as God Emperor For All Time. Foreign commentators believe that Gates' personal fortune may have played a role in his victory, but criticism from the United States of Gates(as it is now known) has been sparse and brief."
For good Russian Rock Radio, go here.
Please note, I rarely go into NSG. If I post there, please do not expect a response from me.
ALL HAIL THE GODDESS REPLOID PRODUCTIONS!

Quacawa
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Quacawa » Fri May 15, 2009 2:24 pm

I am prepared to admit that the question of how best to deal most effectively with the issue of prostitution is a vexing one, and a question that has not found an easy nor completely satisfactory answer in virtually any corner of the world over the years. And to that extent, this legislation suffers that same limitation. However, even with that acknowldgement, I still believe that the absence of perfection is no reason to not at least still strive for the best alternative, which I feel this legislation provides.

I do not believe the safety arguments stand up to the close scrutiny of independent research and analysis of that remedy.

In fact, looking close to home, in 2003, our Scottish neighbors in looking to revamp their own approach to prostitution enlisted the University of London to do a comprehensive analysis of outcomes of prostitution policies in other countries. The researchers chose Australia, Sweden, Ireland, and the Netherlands to represent various strategies of legalizing and / or regulating prostitution. The researchers did not review the situation where prostitution is criminalized across the board as it is in the US. The outcome of that approach is already well known and the failures and futility of the revolving door of arresting and re-arresting prostitutes is all too familiar the world over.

But the outcomes, as revealed in the University of London study, in the jurisdictions under review and that had legalized or regulated prostitution were found to be just as discouraging or even more discouraging than the traditional all round criminalization. In each case the results were dramatic in the negative.

Legalization and / or regulation of prostitution, according to the study, led to:

• A dramatic increase in all facets of the sex industry,

• A dramatic increase in the involvement of organized crime in the sex industry,

• A dramatic increase in child prostitution,

• An explosion in the number of foreign women and girls trafficked into the region, and

• Indications of an increase in violence against women.

In the state of Victoria, Australia, where a system of legalized, regulated brothels was established, there was such an explosion in the number of brothels that it immediately overwhelmed the system's ability to regulate them, and just as quickly these brothels became a mire of organized crime, corruption, and related crimes. In addition, surveys of the prostitutes working under systems of legalization and regulation find that the prostitutes themselves continue to feel coerced, forced, and unsafe in the business.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri May 15, 2009 2:24 pm

Big Jim P wrote:A person should be allowed to do anything they wish with their bodies (including prostitution) so long as it harms no one else.

So she has to be clean and it has to be safe sex?
The Blaatschapen should resign

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri May 15, 2009 2:25 pm

Quacawa wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:

So legalizing brothels will increase the saftey/ reduce trafficking of women?

If done correctly, I think so. I can't prove it, though, because there aren't any examples where it's been done. AFAIK, all partial legalizations so far have something broken in them.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Unfair Rules
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unfair Rules » Fri May 15, 2009 3:28 pm

but it could harm someone else , they could give someone an std

Cowland5
Attaché

Founded: Jun 26, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cowland5 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:36 pm

Unfair Rules wrote:

That's the other person's fault for having sex with a prostitute in the first place...

Blackchain
Lobbyist

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Blackchain » Fri May 15, 2009 3:38 pm

Big Jim P is speaking my language.

And yes, it DOES mean drugs shouldn't be criminalised either.
Last edited by Blackchain on Fri May 15, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ostronopolis
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ostronopolis » Fri May 15, 2009 3:38 pm

Unfair Rules wrote:

so could having asual sex with a stranger, I say it should be legal, but then again I think pot should be legal as long as it is done in the home.
Most Noble Republican Union of Ostronopolis
“Mortici Touaente Antimia”
Ostronopolian Trading Company || Congburgers || Communique Guide || Factbook ||
Member of: || The Conglomerate || Sovereign Network
Observer of: || COMINTERN || IFA ||

Quotes:
<Amit:> Ostro
<Amit> Through your sheer force of character
<Amit> You could get a nation to work for you

O-Seventon
Lobbyist

Founded: May 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby O-Seventon » Fri May 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Quacawa wrote:
Velkya wrote:

Why not?

I haven't voiced an opinion, I am just putting questions to Big Jim P. Though this thread is meant o be about prostitution not drugs...

it could hurt other people =P

Orwelliad
Attaché

Founded: Aug 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Orwelliad » Fri May 15, 2009 4:10 pm

It should be legal, it has been praticed since almost the dawn of man, its going to always happen, so might as well legalize it.

Now, naturally it is a problematic issue, it can lead to a lot of social problems, but at least if its legalized, we know what to do to solve them, and i trust a lot more in the state than in pimps to regulate the activity, at least we can place one of them out-of-office.

O-Seventon
Lobbyist

Founded: May 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby O-Seventon » Fri May 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Orwelliad wrote:It should be legal, it has been praticed since almost the dawn of man, its going to always happen, so might as well legalize it.

Now, naturally it is a problematic issue, it can lead to a lot of social problems, but at least if its legalized, we know what to do to solve them, and i trust a lot more in the state than in pimps to regulate the activity, at least we can place one of them out-of-office.

I completely agree! it should be legal

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri May 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Quacawa wrote:

Does this mean we legalize drugs?

Of course. What part of "anything that harms no one else" did you not understand? :roll:
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Agzenzia
Envoy

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Agzenzia » Fri May 15, 2009 4:38 pm

The Emmerian Unions wrote:Legalize it. then it becomes a safe, regulated, and taxable industry, a lot like in the US State of Nevada.

Whats funny is i live in vegas.
Sincerely, Supreme Dictator Fenagz. Economic Left/Right: -1.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.26

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri May 15, 2009 7:23 pm

It should be legal, and regulated...

Everyone would benefit from the mass Tax Revenue, and you could help keep disease under control if you keep tabs on the Hookers...

its Win-Freakin-Win baby, lol...

Quacawa
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Quacawa » Fri May 15, 2009 11:48 pm

Quacawa wrote:I am prepared to admit that the question of how best to deal most effectively with the issue of prostitution is a vexing one, and a question that has not found an easy nor completely satisfactory answer in virtually any corner of the world over the years. And to that extent, this legislation suffers that same limitation. However, even with that acknowldgement, I still believe that the absence of perfection is no reason to not at least still strive for the best alternative, which I feel this legislation provides.

I do not believe the safety arguments stand up to the close scrutiny of independent research and analysis of that remedy.

In fact, looking close to home, in 2003, our Scottish neighbors in looking to revamp their own approach to prostitution enlisted the University of London to do a comprehensive analysis of outcomes of prostitution policies in other countries. The researchers chose Australia, Sweden, Ireland, and the Netherlands to represent various strategies of legalizing and / or regulating prostitution. The researchers did not review the situation where prostitution is criminalized across the board as it is in the US. The outcome of that approach is already well known and the failures and futility of the revolving door of arresting and re-arresting prostitutes is all too familiar the world over.

But the outcomes, as revealed in the University of London study, in the jurisdictions under review and that had legalized or regulated prostitution were found to be just as discouraging or even more discouraging than the traditional all round criminalization. In each case the results were dramatic in the negative.

Legalization and / or regulation of prostitution, according to the study, led to:

• A dramatic increase in all facets of the sex industry,

• A dramatic increase in the involvement of organized crime in the sex industry,

• A dramatic increase in child prostitution,

• An explosion in the number of foreign women and girls trafficked into the region, and

• Indications of an increase in violence against women.

In the state of Victoria, Australia, where a system of legalized, regulated brothels was established, there was such an explosion in the number of brothels that it immediately overwhelmed the system's ability to regulate them, and just as quickly these brothels became a mire of organized crime, corruption, and related crimes. In addition, surveys of the prostitutes working under systems of legalization and regulation find that the prostitutes themselves continue to feel coerced, forced, and unsafe in the business.

To all those in favour of legalized prostitution, I repeat ^^^

Franberry
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Franberry » Sat May 16, 2009 7:32 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:

So she has to be clean and it has to be safe sex?

Not really, if you don't care if she's clean then thats just another barrier for you to get what you want. The answer to this question is to legalize it and to not tax it, then you'll see actual progress.
Death is better, a milder fate than tyranny.
-Aeschylus

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat May 16, 2009 8:39 am

Quacawa wrote:
To all those in favour of legalized prostitution, I repeat ^^^

Problem is, youre going to see that regardless, hell, Military bases bring an increase of that, Keesler, over here, brought with it lots and lots of sex shops, pot dealers, etc...because soldiers are great buyers...

Doesnt mean we shouldnt have military bases...

and, I think Nevada has made great strides in reducing those things, even with legalized Prostitution...

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General