NATION

PASSWORD

Have Vampires Been Wussified Beyond Recovery?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Mediterreania
Senator
 
Posts: 3765
Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:59 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Geniasis wrote:
Depends on the zombie, doesn't it? Traditional Romero zombies--while potentially dangerous--were never the real threat; it was always other living people that screwed everyone over.

Now an Infected from the 28 X Later series? Yeah, those fuckers'll kill you.

Or the guys from L4D

I was thinking more of World War Z.
Quick and dirty guide to factions in Mediterranea, and puppets to serve as examples:
-Free Assembly - decentralized group of local associations. Main faction.
-Workers' Republic - anarcho-syndicalist commune
-República Morsica (Betico)
-Republic of Lusca
-Catholic State (The Archbishop of Siraucsa)

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76675
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:01 pm

Mediterreania wrote:I was thinking more of World War Z.

World War Z never really seemed plausible to me, not because of the zombies, but because of the threat they posed. They could be outrun by a brisk walk, had no capacity for learning or thinking, could be baited easily, yet... Managed to kill enough people to make massive super-swarms and overrun the US military?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
Conservative Alliances
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1323
Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Alliances » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:02 pm

Katganistan wrote:Vampire-like creatures have existed in man's mythology probably since Ogg and Oggina decided that fire was a good thing. The legends that we are familiar started in the 1700s, and popularized by a number of authors including Bram Stoker.

There appeared to be two types in films originally -- the hideously ugly Nosferatu type, and the suave European nobleman type.

Then, Anne Rice popularized her version of the more modern, "rock star" vampire.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer made them laughable and petty...

and now Twilight, the Vampire Diaries, The Vampire's Assistant.... they have made them trendy tween and teen dreamy superheroes.

Is this the Final Death of the Vampire mythos?

Temporarily, yes. It will eventually go back to the true vampires. I cling to the other vampire movies such as the Underworld series and Daybreakers. Even those aren't all that great, but they're better than the alternative.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I am the Ghost of Sparta
Member of the Ebul NSG Right-Wing Establishment
Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
Spectrum
Foriegn Affairs
Cultural
Political Spectrum Quiz
Essentially a mix of the American Dream and 1950s culture with futuristic technology.
Rhodmhire wrote:I love you.
Liuzzo wrote:Conversely Conservative Alliances, Vetalia, and others make terrific arguments that people may not agree with but you can discuss.
Glorious Homeland wrote:Although some individuals provided counter-points which tended to put to bed a few of my previous statements (conservative alliances, zoingo)

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 32058
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:06 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

Antonio Banderas as anything is pretty tasty. Good lord, that voice......


Even as the Nasonex Bee?

I can close my eyes.

User avatar
Bottle
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14985
Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:11 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

Antonio Banderas as anything is pretty tasty. Good lord, that voice......


Even as the Nasonex Bee?

A pocket-sized, vibrating Antonio Banderas?

I'll take two.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

User avatar
Nneka Egbuna
Secretary
 
Posts: 35
Founded: Sep 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nneka Egbuna » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:54 am

Katganistan wrote:If you were to read a book or watch a movie concerning vampires, what would you consider to be the quintessential vampire?

Nosferatu. I think that he is the quintessential vampire. More akin to a revived corpse. That's, in my opinion, what a vampire is.
Calooh, Calley!!!


╭╮⎝⎠⎝⎲⏝⏝⎲⎠⎝⎠╭╮<Ebil Bunny is watching...

User avatar
Angleter
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12353
Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Angleter » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:59 am

Someone ought to make a proper vampire movie now, resurrecting (no pun intended) the traditional darkness and evil of the vampire. Preferably not a remake of Dracula.
"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

I am: British, English, Catholic, Unionist, Conservative, Pro-Market, Civil Libertarian, Cultural Nationalist, Constitutional Monarchist, Brexiteer, Localist/British Federalist, Anti-Technocracy, Pro-Democracy, Pro-Parliament, Pro-Zionism.

Defend Parliamentary Sovereignty - Elections Are Advisory - Luttrell for Middlesex 1769 - Bring Back Zac

User avatar
Laerod
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26183
Founded: Jul 17, 2004
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Laerod » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:56 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:I was thinking more of World War Z.

World War Z never really seemed plausible to me, not because of the zombies, but because of the threat they posed. They could be outrun by a brisk walk, had no capacity for learning or thinking, could be baited easily, yet... Managed to kill enough people to make massive super-swarms and overrun the US military?

Underestimation of the threat coupled with wrong tactics. They're not much of a threat, unless they come at you in large groups. And all it takes is one bite...

User avatar
Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 15372
Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Tyrannia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:05 pm

Of course they have. I have to say, I quite liked Buffy and Angel, but every time I see a promotional poster for Twilight, I mutter 'Dracula forgive us' under my breath. There are still a few good vamps around, though; 30 Days of Night, Blade etc.
Oh, and, this is hilarious;
Image
Ascended to Modhood on the 14th September 2016
The Grand Fascist Empire of Old Tyrannia
⚜ IMPERIVM MAGNVM FASCISTICVM TYRANNIAE ANTIQVAE
Factbook | Tyrannian Empire | Tyrannian Fascism
Everything for Queen and Country.

User avatar
Saurisia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7693
Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:08 pm

Yes, they have, and they're all the reason for me to get my hammer, stake, and garlic out.
Israslovakahzerbajan wrote:Stealing a copy of The Land Before Time.
Coccygia wrote:The only good mammal is a dead mammal.
Pythria wrote:Fascist dictatorship run by dinosaurs. I like it
Tartonica wrote:2/10 because dinosaurs do NOT rule nations (Except for Saurisia)
The Tavan Race wrote:Yeah, your nation scares me
Wolohanistan wrote:Saurisia - Dinosaur Dictatorship is the best dictatorship, not that we support that sort of thing.
Conoga wrote:Dinosaurs-in-Bikinis-Boy
Lancov wrote:Condemn, because we now have to go soak our brains in bleach.
The Floor Kippers wrote:We Have Dinosaurs.....Argument Rendered Invalid
Grossrheinland Reich wrote:DINOSAUR FETISHIST
Tetraca wrote:Also: yay, Saurisia's here! This thread just became more awesome :D
FT Population: 1,000,000,000,000
DINOSAURS RULE!

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 186180
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:12 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:Of course they have. I have to say, I quite liked Buffy and Angel, but every time I see a promotional poster for Twilight, I mutter 'Dracula forgive us' under my breath. There are still a few good vamps around, though; 30 Days of Night, Blade etc.
Oh, and, this is hilarious;
Image

I must say that the Twilight books seriously screwed up the image of the vampire, which had taken several hits already. Sparkly vampires... *scoffs* The author must burn for such transgression! >:(
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Tetraca
Diplomat
 
Posts: 512
Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetraca » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:45 pm

Greater Tezdrian wrote:
Tetraca wrote:Like Derek Landy. Although the vampires in his Skulduggery Pleasant series are very different to the original concept, they are pretty much how you've described the way they should be.
During the day, they have a sort of epidermal layer of skin that's very human-like in appearance, which allows them to walk happily in sunlight, and they can at least keep themselves under control, however just about anything that can kill a person would kill them.
At night, on the other hand, the true vampire reveals itself. It violently removes the outer skin (kinda like the werewolf from Van Helsing) and it becomes a true beast, walking on all fours, having pasty white skin, and almost totally black eyes. They viciously kill any living thing near them.
When making new vampires, it's not dainty twin pin pricks like Dracula's. The neck is pretty much torn open, with blood going everywhere, and they slowly turn over the course of a few days.

Is that cool or what?


I've read the first three books, and they are perfect in regard to the Vampire Mythos. (And pretty much everything else).

Agreed :)
You should seriously read the next two. they're awesome :D (Derek Landy is awesome!)
A Catpimp Called Tinkles McFluff ^_^
。◕‿◕。<Copied from Nana's sig with permission. Thanks Nana! :)
Mama Nana's kitty familiar :3
Lordieth wrote:What now you say Tet? Well, the world is our toaster. Or should that be hamster? Has a 'ster' sound..

Rollercoaster. That's it.

Kharcha chaos raptor wrote:Insanity depends on your point of view, and if it's the view from within your own underpants then everything looks fine.
My theme video, courtesy of Auremena
Take the World Census 2011 at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83868
Awesome poem from NEI
I have officially received the Great Watchers Golden Seal of Approval, for being a legend =D
Is Imperial Japan's adopted son, Dakky's kitty and Ink's bro

User avatar
Saurisia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7693
Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:Image


Boy, Bella and Edward look tasty to that Raptor! :lol:
Israslovakahzerbajan wrote:Stealing a copy of The Land Before Time.
Coccygia wrote:The only good mammal is a dead mammal.
Pythria wrote:Fascist dictatorship run by dinosaurs. I like it
Tartonica wrote:2/10 because dinosaurs do NOT rule nations (Except for Saurisia)
The Tavan Race wrote:Yeah, your nation scares me
Wolohanistan wrote:Saurisia - Dinosaur Dictatorship is the best dictatorship, not that we support that sort of thing.
Conoga wrote:Dinosaurs-in-Bikinis-Boy
Lancov wrote:Condemn, because we now have to go soak our brains in bleach.
The Floor Kippers wrote:We Have Dinosaurs.....Argument Rendered Invalid
Grossrheinland Reich wrote:DINOSAUR FETISHIST
Tetraca wrote:Also: yay, Saurisia's here! This thread just became more awesome :D
FT Population: 1,000,000,000,000
DINOSAURS RULE!

User avatar
Tetraca
Diplomat
 
Posts: 512
Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetraca » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:49 pm

Saurisia wrote:Boy, Bella and Edward look tasty to that Raptor! :lol:

You'd know :P

Also: yay, Saurisia's here! This thread just became more awesome :D
A Catpimp Called Tinkles McFluff ^_^
。◕‿◕。<Copied from Nana's sig with permission. Thanks Nana! :)
Mama Nana's kitty familiar :3
Lordieth wrote:What now you say Tet? Well, the world is our toaster. Or should that be hamster? Has a 'ster' sound..

Rollercoaster. That's it.

Kharcha chaos raptor wrote:Insanity depends on your point of view, and if it's the view from within your own underpants then everything looks fine.
My theme video, courtesy of Auremena
Take the World Census 2011 at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83868
Awesome poem from NEI
I have officially received the Great Watchers Golden Seal of Approval, for being a legend =D
Is Imperial Japan's adopted son, Dakky's kitty and Ink's bro

User avatar
Saurisia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7693
Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Tetraca wrote:Also: yay, Saurisia's here! This thread just became more awesome :D


Why, thank you! And I'd sig that if I had the room...
Israslovakahzerbajan wrote:Stealing a copy of The Land Before Time.
Coccygia wrote:The only good mammal is a dead mammal.
Pythria wrote:Fascist dictatorship run by dinosaurs. I like it
Tartonica wrote:2/10 because dinosaurs do NOT rule nations (Except for Saurisia)
The Tavan Race wrote:Yeah, your nation scares me
Wolohanistan wrote:Saurisia - Dinosaur Dictatorship is the best dictatorship, not that we support that sort of thing.
Conoga wrote:Dinosaurs-in-Bikinis-Boy
Lancov wrote:Condemn, because we now have to go soak our brains in bleach.
The Floor Kippers wrote:We Have Dinosaurs.....Argument Rendered Invalid
Grossrheinland Reich wrote:DINOSAUR FETISHIST
Tetraca wrote:Also: yay, Saurisia's here! This thread just became more awesome :D
FT Population: 1,000,000,000,000
DINOSAURS RULE!

User avatar
Tetraca
Diplomat
 
Posts: 512
Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetraca » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Saurisia wrote:
Tetraca wrote:Also: yay, Saurisia's here! This thread just became more awesome :D


Why, thank you! And I'd sig that if I had the room...

I'd sig a lot of things if i had the room... :(
EDIT: I see you sigged it anyway :lol:
Last edited by Tetraca on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Catpimp Called Tinkles McFluff ^_^
。◕‿◕。<Copied from Nana's sig with permission. Thanks Nana! :)
Mama Nana's kitty familiar :3
Lordieth wrote:What now you say Tet? Well, the world is our toaster. Or should that be hamster? Has a 'ster' sound..

Rollercoaster. That's it.

Kharcha chaos raptor wrote:Insanity depends on your point of view, and if it's the view from within your own underpants then everything looks fine.
My theme video, courtesy of Auremena
Take the World Census 2011 at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83868
Awesome poem from NEI
I have officially received the Great Watchers Golden Seal of Approval, for being a legend =D
Is Imperial Japan's adopted son, Dakky's kitty and Ink's bro

User avatar
Pirate Sea Ports
Attaché
 
Posts: 75
Founded: Jun 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Pirate Sea Ports » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:01 pm

New Manvir wrote:They need to make a movie or T.V. show like Dexter, except he's a vampire instead of a serial killer.



May there be many high-fives to you good sir! As your sig. states "ALL HAIL KING BATMAN!"
Why is the rum ALWAYS gone?

User avatar
Saurisia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7693
Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Tetraca wrote:
Saurisia wrote:
Why, thank you! And I'd sig that if I had the room...

I'd sig a lot of things if i had the room... :(
EDIT: I see you sigged it anyway :lol:


Yup, pretty much!
Israslovakahzerbajan wrote:Stealing a copy of The Land Before Time.
Coccygia wrote:The only good mammal is a dead mammal.
Pythria wrote:Fascist dictatorship run by dinosaurs. I like it
Tartonica wrote:2/10 because dinosaurs do NOT rule nations (Except for Saurisia)
The Tavan Race wrote:Yeah, your nation scares me
Wolohanistan wrote:Saurisia - Dinosaur Dictatorship is the best dictatorship, not that we support that sort of thing.
Conoga wrote:Dinosaurs-in-Bikinis-Boy
Lancov wrote:Condemn, because we now have to go soak our brains in bleach.
The Floor Kippers wrote:We Have Dinosaurs.....Argument Rendered Invalid
Grossrheinland Reich wrote:DINOSAUR FETISHIST
Tetraca wrote:Also: yay, Saurisia's here! This thread just became more awesome :D
FT Population: 1,000,000,000,000
DINOSAURS RULE!

User avatar
Tetraca
Diplomat
 
Posts: 512
Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetraca » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:09 pm

Saurisia wrote:
Tetraca wrote:I'd sig a lot of things if i had the room... :(
EDIT: I see you sigged it anyway :lol:


Yup, pretty much!

Here's something you may find interesting:
http://newsimg.ngfiles.com/97000/97703_ ... wesome.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uJWxQGGG_oo/S ... Thread.jpg
A Catpimp Called Tinkles McFluff ^_^
。◕‿◕。<Copied from Nana's sig with permission. Thanks Nana! :)
Mama Nana's kitty familiar :3
Lordieth wrote:What now you say Tet? Well, the world is our toaster. Or should that be hamster? Has a 'ster' sound..

Rollercoaster. That's it.

Kharcha chaos raptor wrote:Insanity depends on your point of view, and if it's the view from within your own underpants then everything looks fine.
My theme video, courtesy of Auremena
Take the World Census 2011 at http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83868
Awesome poem from NEI
I have officially received the Great Watchers Golden Seal of Approval, for being a legend =D
Is Imperial Japan's adopted son, Dakky's kitty and Ink's bro

User avatar
Hytzu
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 14
Founded: Sep 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hytzu » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:14 pm

Nope not yet, thanks to Japan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZEqZw8zfVA

User avatar
Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 88776
Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Image
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

User avatar
Tiesabre
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1520
Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiesabre » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Nah, they're the the fad creature right now. Sooner or later the whole romantic vampire fad is die out and people will go back to the vampires the rip out people's hearts and suckle on the blood that pumps out.

Besides, it's not like all vampire stories right now are about those romantic vampires anyway.
Psycho Baby: I find atheists who disparage others for believing are not any better than theists who try to shove it down others' throats.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26
Miss. Vivian Smith, Foreign Affairs-in-Chief and WA Ambassador

User avatar
Mediterreania
Senator
 
Posts: 3765
Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:53 pm

Laerod wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:World War Z never really seemed plausible to me, not because of the zombies, but because of the threat they posed. They could be outrun by a brisk walk, had no capacity for learning or thinking, could be baited easily, yet... Managed to kill enough people to make massive super-swarms and overrun the US military?

Underestimation of the threat coupled with wrong tactics. They're not much of a threat, unless they come at you in large groups. And all it takes is one bite...

Bites aren't the only threat. Remember the organ transplant thing...
Quick and dirty guide to factions in Mediterranea, and puppets to serve as examples:
-Free Assembly - decentralized group of local associations. Main faction.
-Workers' Republic - anarcho-syndicalist commune
-República Morsica (Betico)
-Republic of Lusca
-Catholic State (The Archbishop of Siraucsa)

User avatar
Redslavia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1256
Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Redslavia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:54 pm

Yes, they have. I used to like them, but the pussy shit got me into hating them. Vampires are supposed to drink people's blood and die when they get in sunlight, not act like a twink and sparkle in the sun. Just proves modern culture needs to die a painful death.
My Political Matrix Score: Economic score: -8.19
Social score: +8.26

Member of the Corporate Fascist Party
Also a member of the Steel Pact.

User avatar
Geniasis
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7531
Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Redslavia wrote:Yes, they have. I used to like them, but the pussy shit got me into hating them. Vampires are supposed to drink people's blood and die when they get in sunlight, not act like a twink and sparkle in the sun. Just proves modern culture needs to die a painful death.


So Dracula isn't a real vampire?
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.


DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!


Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.


Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fahran, Forumland, Galloism, Google [Bot], Infected Mushroom, Major-Tom, MSN [Bot], Nakena, New haven america, Nobel Hobos 2, Rykil, Samadhi, Telconi, The East Marches II, Tigrexia, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads