NATION

PASSWORD

Uneducated Police

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Bendira wrote:I mis-spoke then. The "Yes" at the beggining was not answering the beggining of your sentence, it was meant to answer whether I would call it a strawman argument or not.

Logicfail

Bendira
Senator

Founded: Apr 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Zephie wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
I did no such thing. I attacked his credibility and his convictions in his beliefs. I never implied his beliefs were wrong, just that he wasn't willing to sacrifice to stand up for what he believes. I never called him a coward.

So then where is your debate? It just sounds like a personal attack to me.

Which is all that has been made against me for 30 some pages now. A majority of their argument is based on the fact that I must be young if I support anarchy (no idea where that idea comes from). They are attributing some weird stigma about anarchists being against security to my position. They have called me stupid because my opinion is in the minority. And they seem to have this idea that if you speak out against democracy, you are evil.
Political Compass:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Person012345 wrote:
Bendira wrote:I mis-spoke then. The "Yes" at the beggining was not answering the beggining of your sentence, it was meant to answer whether I would call it a strawman argument or not.

Logicfail

i already admitted I mis-spoke.
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:41 pm

Bendira wrote:
Person012345 wrote:Logicfail

Thing is, you either mis-spoke again when you were explaining your mis-speak, or you simply confirmed what your opponent was saying, hence logicfail.

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:41 pm

Person012345 wrote:
Bendira wrote:

Thing is, you either mis-spoke again when you were explaining your mis-speak, or you simply confirmed what your opponent was saying, hence logicfail.

I was explaining my mis-spoken mis-speak for a second time. Im not denying it is a logic fail :lol:
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Bendira wrote:Which is all that has been made against me for 30 some pages now.

There really hasn't, although this persecution complex is making me understand why you're an anarchist.

Achaea-Graecia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Achaea-Graecia » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Trippoli wrote:
Bendira wrote:
I plan on practicing civil disobedience in the future, but only after I finish up college.

Can I LOL at this?

Yes you can.
EXECON: Total War 1 2 3 4 [5] All Quiet
EMERGCON: ENGAGED | [DISENGAGED]
Innis-Gunn wrote:
Communist Phanafia wrote:I wish I could revolt, I really do.

*Awards 'Teenage Angst' badge*
Young Erisia wrote:
Achaea-Graecia wrote:So you live in the year 1939-1945 or something like that?

I'm on vacation...
Olthar wrote:
Old Vester wrote:I wish I created a cure for cancer.

Granted, but the cure is made with the tears of small children, tears of suffering. Congratulations. You've cured cancer. You monster. >:(
Aryan WNs wrote:15 and 17 million people ethnically cleansed by the Nazi Party? Source please.

Northern Itasca
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Itasca » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Rolling squid wrote:Duh? Many police officers are those who decided against college and then failed to get into the military. In short, thugs with a badge. Add that to the fact that the police instantly close ranks against any sort of repercussions, and you end up with a law enforcement culture that needs to be scrapped.

You're an idiot. At least in the US something like 46 of the states require that officers have at least a two year degree and many larger agencies won't hire officers unless they have a 4 year degree. And all of them even those without a degree have a hell of a lot more common sense than you.
Economic Left/Right: 7.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.79

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Bendira wrote:
Person012345 wrote:Thing is, you either mis-spoke again when you were explaining your mis-speak, or you simply confirmed what your opponent was saying, hence logicfail.

I was explaining my mis-spoken mis-speak for a second time. Im not denying it is a logic fail :lol:

Now I'm confused. :lol2:

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Person012345 wrote:
Bendira wrote:Which is all that has been made against me for 30 some pages now.

There really hasn't, although this persecution complex is making me understand why you're an anarchist.

It really is though. And if it isn't, I apologize but a few certain people made it seem that way by spamming rude comments repeatedly throughout the course of the thread. I personally don't remember making any ground on this topic though on the relevant part of the debate. The whole time was wasted trying to defend myself from what I perceived to be unfounded personal attacks.
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:46 pm

Achaea-Graecia wrote:
Trippoli wrote:
Can I LOL at this?

Yes you can.

Can you answer my question from earlier, where I asked you where you personally feel the justification for your job comes from? Like, what sets you apart from a murderer or a kidnapper? Is there any ethical consideration to your job whatsoever?
Last edited by Bendira on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 pm

Northern Itasca wrote:
Rolling squid wrote:Duh? Many police officers are those who decided against college and then failed to get into the military. In short, thugs with a badge. Add that to the fact that the police instantly close ranks against any sort of repercussions, and you end up with a law enforcement culture that needs to be scrapped.

You're an idiot. At least in the US something like 46 of the states require that officers have at least a two year degree and many larger agencies won't hire officers unless they have a 4 year degree. And all of them even those without a degree have a hell of a lot more common sense than you.

Source? While a degree in Criminal Justice helps, most departments do not require it. You may also want to cut out the personal attacks.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Bendira wrote:
Achaea-Graecia wrote:Yes you can.

Can you answer my question from earlier, where I asked you where you personally feel the justification for your job comes from? Like, what sets you apart from a murderer or a kidnapper? Is there any ethical consideration to your job whatsoever?

A murderer/kidnapper does not lay out his rules, which are approved of by the majority of people who have to follow them. A murderer/kidnapper does not look for ways other than kidnapping or murder in order to resolve a dispute of these rules. A murderer/kidnapper is out to murder and kidnap. Most police officers haven't killed anyone or cause undue psychological trauma to anyone.

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:57 pm

Person012345 wrote:
Bendira wrote:

A murderer/kidnapper does not lay out his rules, which are approved of by the majority of people who have to follow them. A murderer/kidnapper does not look for ways other than kidnapping or murder in order to resolve a dispute of these rules. A murderer/kidnapper is out to murder and kidnap. Most police officers haven't killed anyone or cause undue psychological trauma to anyone.

Me and my friends get together in a warehouse in the center of town. We put an ad out in the paper letting people know they should come vote for local police chief. Only 20 people show up to vote. They vote me in as police chief. All 20 of us write down one very simple rule "No Breatheing Allowed unless you are a public official or civil servant". We all vote on the law. We now declare juristiction over the entire city. We drive around town, shooting people we suspect of breathing, and kidnapping them and bringing them back to our warehouse.

How is that different than police? I received a mandate from the public when I invited people to come vote for police comissioner. Not my fault they didn't show up. They don't have a right to criticize my law since they weren't there to vote on it.
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:59 pm

Bendira wrote:
Person012345 wrote:A murderer/kidnapper does not lay out his rules, which are approved of by the majority of people who have to follow them. A murderer/kidnapper does not look for ways other than kidnapping or murder in order to resolve a dispute of these rules. A murderer/kidnapper is out to murder and kidnap. Most police officers haven't killed anyone or cause undue psychological trauma to anyone.

Me and my friends get together in a warehouse in the center of town. We put an ad out in the paper letting people know they should come vote for local police chief. Only 20 people show up to vote. They vote me in as police chief. All 20 of us write down one very simple rule "No Breatheing Allowed unless you are a public official or civil servant". We all vote on the law. We now declare juristiction over the entire city. We drive around town, shooting people we suspect of breathing, and kidnapping them and bringing them back to our warehouse.

How is that different than police? I received a mandate from the public when I invited people to come vote for police comissioner. Not my fault they didn't show up. They don't have a right to criticize my law since they weren't there to vote on it.

It's different because you are not the recognized government.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Caninope wrote:
Bendira wrote:

It's different because you are not the recognized government.

What constitutes a recognized government?
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Northern Itasca
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Itasca » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Bendira wrote:
Person012345 wrote:A murderer/kidnapper does not lay out his rules, which are approved of by the majority of people who have to follow them. A murderer/kidnapper does not look for ways other than kidnapping or murder in order to resolve a dispute of these rules. A murderer/kidnapper is out to murder and kidnap. Most police officers haven't killed anyone or cause undue psychological trauma to anyone.

Police dont create the laws they enforce them. If you have your panties in a bunch about your local ordinances or states statutes talk to whomever your representative in government is.
Economic Left/Right: 7.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.79

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Bendira wrote:

the big diff the police dont make the laws they only enforce laws passed by a representative government.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Northern Itasca wrote:
Bendira wrote:

Police dont create the laws they enforce them. If you have your panties in a bunch about your local ordinances or states statutes talk to whomever your representative in government is.

No but before I deputized my 20 friends, we all voted democratically on what the law would be. And they all voted in favor of the no breatheing ordinance.
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Bendira wrote:

Didn't come =/= accepts the law.

1. The fact is that government does have jurisdiction over a country. Don't like it, go somewhere else.
2. Police do not randomly go around killing people who break minor laws. You see, your punishments are OTT and the majority of people would not agree to them. The country however, the majority of people in the country are happy to tolerate the laws and if they disagree with some they break them, because they think they won't get caught.

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:13 pm

It dosn't matter whether they accept the law or not, they didn't come vote. They don't have a right to an opinion.

1. The fact is that government does have jurisdiction over a country. Don't like it, go somewhere else.

Me and my 20 friends pass another vote saying that anybody leaving our juristiction shall be shot. We have the mandate of the public, so its all gravy baby.

2. Police do not randomly go around killing people who break minor laws. You see, your punishments are OTT and the majority of people would not agree to them. The country however, the majority of people in the country are happy to tolerate the laws and if they disagree with some they break them, because they think they won't get caught.

It dosn't matter whether the majority of people agree with them or not. The fact is, they didn't show up to vote, and therefor their opinion dosn't matter.
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Achaea-Graecia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Achaea-Graecia » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Bendira wrote:
Achaea-Graecia wrote:Yes you can.

My job is to restrict the amount of crime in the city and serve the public taxpayers.

I think a better question to ask is why you think my job as a police officer is unjustified.
Last edited by Achaea-Graecia on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXECON: Total War 1 2 3 4 [5] All Quiet
EMERGCON: ENGAGED | [DISENGAGED]
Innis-Gunn wrote:
Communist Phanafia wrote:I wish I could revolt, I really do.

*Awards 'Teenage Angst' badge*
Young Erisia wrote:
Achaea-Graecia wrote:So you live in the year 1939-1945 or something like that?

I'm on vacation...
Olthar wrote:
Old Vester wrote:I wish I created a cure for cancer.

Granted, but the cure is made with the tears of small children, tears of suffering. Congratulations. You've cured cancer. You monster. >:(
Aryan WNs wrote:15 and 17 million people ethnically cleansed by the Nazi Party? Source please.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:15 pm

Bendira wrote:Me and my friends get together in a warehouse in the center of town. We put an ad out in the paper letting people know they should come vote for local police chief. Only 20 people show up to vote. They vote me in as police chief. All 20 of us write down one very simple rule "No Breatheing Allowed unless you are a public official or civil servant". We all vote on the law. We now declare juristiction over the entire city. We drive around town, shooting people we suspect of breathing, and kidnapping them and bringing them back to our warehouse.

This is quite literally a textbook example of a strawman fallacy. You know fully well that this would never happen for a nigh-infinite number of reasons. The police forces work on a basis of the social contract theory, whereby the majority of people put into place a system of governance (Of which the police is part), and institute self-regulating and externally-regulating measures within said governance (Bill(s) of Rights, constitutions, police codes, etc) so as to prevent abuses of power.

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:15 pm

Panzerjaeger wrote:
Bendira wrote:
If I was arrested and imprisoned, I would effectively be silenced. I wouldn't be able to be an activist or get my message out, I wouldn't be able to raise a family, and I wouldn't be able to live a halfway decent life without the constant fear of prison rape or beatings.

So really you are just a Moral Coward who whines on the internet.

Panzer, calm down, bro.

Just gotta chill out. I'm not going to hand you a warning, but you're kind skirting the line with that comment, methinks.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:16 pm

Bendira wrote:

It dosn't matter whether they accept the law or not, they didn't come vote. They don't have a right to an opinion.

Me and my 20 friends pass another vote saying that anybody leaving our juristiction shall be shot. We have the mandate of the public, so its all gravy baby.

Yeah, no you don't. If you want to secede from the united states, go ahead. If you are the legitimate ruler of your own state then you can do what you like with it.

It dosn't matter whether the majority of people agree with them or not. The fact is, they didn't show up to vote, and therefor their opinion dosn't matter.

Again, it isn't your country to decide. You do not rule your town, sorry to tell you that is simply unwarranted self importance.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General