NATION

PASSWORD

Uneducated Police

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bendira
Senator

Founded: Apr 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:41 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Bendira wrote:
Do you know what I do for the voluntaryist movement?

From what I can tell, you try to have philosophical discussions with police officers. Why don't you tell us all, in specific detail, what you're doing to change the system you hate so much?

Why is it relevant to the discussion at all? Not that I am ashamed of my involvement in the voluntaryist movement, but I don't feel the need to legitimize your personal attacks on me.
Political Compass:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Bendira wrote:
How many of those do the media cover?

They get coverage, not as much as the majors, but some. They get to run as many ads as they can afford. They all have entries in the Blue Book, which is published at government expense and sent to all registered voters, and which describes each candidates position.

You said that the two major parties and the media prevent other parties from getting on the ballot. That is simply not true and the point of this exercise has been to show you that it is not true.

They get no coverage whatsoever. I had no idea about hardly any of those people until you just posted it, and I have no idea about any of their political positions. In fact, I have no idea about McCain or Obama's even. And even if I did, they would just lie to win office anyways.
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Bendira wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:They get coverage, not as much as the majors, but some. They get to run as many ads as they can afford. They all have entries in the Blue Book, which is published at government expense and sent to all registered voters, and which describes each candidates position.

You said that the two major parties and the media prevent other parties from getting on the ballot. That is simply not true and the point of this exercise has been to show you that it is not true.

They get no coverage whatsoever. I had no idea about hardly any of those people until you just posted it, and I have no idea about any of their political positions. In fact, I have no idea about McCain or Obama's even. And even if I did, they would just lie to win office anyways.

Your ignorance =/= political oppression.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Bendira wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:From what I can tell, you try to have philosophical discussions with police officers. Why don't you tell us all, in specific detail, what you're doing to change the system you hate so much?

Why is it relevant to the discussion at all? Not that I am ashamed of my involvement in the voluntaryist movement, but I don't feel the need to legitimize your personal attacks on me.

That's not a personal attack. It's a question.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Bendira wrote:
Old Erisia wrote:Unless you would like to change the system from the inside. Hard, not impossible.

I am morally opposed to the idea of a single candidate being elected and forcing society to follow his laws. Obviously the minority is discriminated against. And running for office is legitimizing that process. Working outside the system is the only true moral way to do it.

Which is why we have minority rights and plenty of opportunities for minority opinions to stop an action.

EX: Every Democrat Led issue in Congress.
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Caninope wrote:
Bendira wrote:

It's okay, he doesn't have to answer. I know what I wanted to know.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:48 pm

Caninope wrote:
Bendira wrote:

But it is. The premise of the question is that I don't have a right to criticize the system because I do not work within it. Its an attempt at a personal attack on my character.
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:49 pm

Caninope wrote:
Bendira wrote:
I am morally opposed to the idea of a single candidate being elected and forcing society to follow his laws. Obviously the minority is discriminated against. And running for office is legitimizing that process. Working outside the system is the only true moral way to do it.

Which is why we have minority rights and plenty of opportunities for minority opinions to stop an action.

Im in my house, and I wasnt to smoke marijuana on my own property. Suddenly, the SWAT team enters, shootsmy dog and beats me. Then they take me to a prison, where I am beaten and raped by inmates, until I join a hardened prison gang.

What way can that so called "minority position" stop an action?
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Bendira wrote:
Caninope wrote:That's not a personal attack. It's a question.

But it is. The premise of the question is that I don't have a right to criticize the system because I do not work within it. Its an attempt at a personal attack on my character.

No it isn't. Even if that is the premise of the question, that's still not a personal attack.

Or do you consider anyone disagreeing with you to be a personal attack?

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:52 pm

This thread is still pathetic and lulzworthy.
Friendly Neighborhood Fascist™
ФАШИЗМ БЕЗГРАНИЧНЫЙ И КРАСНЫЙ
Caninope wrote:Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Timothy McVeigh casts... Pyrotechnics!

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

New Kereptica wrote:Fascism: because people are too smart nowadays.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:52 pm

Caninope wrote:
Bendira wrote:

When you're incapable of providing an answer, a question can seem a lot like an attack.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:52 pm

Person012345 wrote:
Bendira wrote:

No it isn't. Even if that is the premise of the question, that's still not a personal attack.

Its a personal attack, because he has already stated that anything other than working within the system should not occur. I don't work within the system. The only possible outcome is a personal attack.
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:54 pm

Neo Art wrote:

When you're incapable of providing an answer, a question can seem a lot like an attack.

Brain damage can make you think your arm is trying to attack you as well. Amazing what the human brain can do...

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:54 pm

Panzerjaeger wrote:
Neo Art wrote:

Brain damage can make you think your arm is trying to attack you as well. Amazing what the human brain can do...

You are extremely rude and disrespectful. I really wish you would stop harassing me on my topics.
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Bendira wrote:
Person012345 wrote:No it isn't. Even if that is the premise of the question, that's still not a personal attack.

Its a personal attack, because he has already stated that anything other than working within the system should not occur. I don't work within the system. The only possible outcome is a personal attack.

So you don't know what ad-hominems are, personal attacks, logic or what the specific duties of a Police Officer are...eh so what is there to discuss?

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:56 pm

Bendira wrote:
Panzerjaeger wrote:Brain damage can make you think your arm is trying to attack you as well. Amazing what the human brain can do...

You are extremely rude and disrespectful. I really wish you would stop harassing me on my topics.

How was that rude? It was an offhand comment about how the brain can deceive itself. Now, now paranoia won't get you anywhere unless you be Stalin but then you can't be Lenin me the money.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:56 pm

Bendira wrote:
Person012345 wrote:No it isn't. Even if that is the premise of the question, that's still not a personal attack.

No it isn't. That is in no way a personal attack. It's an argument, that work outside the system should not occur. If you don't work within the system, you can obviously extrapolate that the speaker thinks you're wrong, but that is not an attack on you. That is stating an opinion.

I do believe I've found the problem. You must have googled ad hominem and clicked the link to "Encyclopedia dramatica" thinking it was a reliable source. And as it says there:
ED wrote:Before making an ad hominem attack, it is a good idea to keep the following things in mind:

* In debate, any person disagreeing with the OP is using ad hominem.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:56 pm

Bendira wrote:

No, actually, it is the idea that one has to work inside the system to criticize it.

It's no more a personal attack than to the 75 other million who didn't vote in 2008.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Bendira wrote:

You may think so, but I was merely saying that your protests against the system would carry more weight if you told us what you were doing, inside the system or outside, to make changes. Instead you got huffy and accused me of impugning your character. If you think I did, report me to the Mods. You listed a bunch of "isms" earlier that you participate in, but you steadfastly refuse to elaborate on what actions you take and how they will help reform the country. What are we supposed to think?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Xomic
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 12, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Xomic » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Bendira wrote:So I am a voluntaryist, and as a result I receive all the new updates from the voluntaryist community involving activism. Many acivists confront police and question them about their role in society and why they do what they do. Overwhelming, the majority of the police have not even considered the ethics of their job. Several times, police have said that they would follow any laws they were asked to execute.

Well...

The majority of law enforcement doesn't need to really consider whether the laws they enforce ore just or not, because laws are suppose to be just . There are of course injust laws, which is likely why Plato argues in The Republic that the ideal city's guardians would be trained in philosophy (so they could tell when something was injust).

Here is my question. How can you be a police officer and not have any ethical/moral justification for it whatsoever? These cops never even seem to go with the statist talking points of "consent of the governed" or "social contract" or "public good". Even though id argue those are horribly weak justifications for the existence of a government, the fact that police don't even know them sort of proves that many police seem to be there just for the power or pay of the job. And if they are there just for the power or the pay, what type of person does that make them?

If you're asking for a moral justification for policing is to protect those who cannot protect themselves from suffering injustice/etc.
Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Bendira wrote:
Caninope wrote:Which is why we have minority rights and plenty of opportunities for minority opinions to stop an action.

Im in my house, and I wasnt to smoke marijuana on my own property. Suddenly, the SWAT team enters, shootsmy dog and beats me. Then they take me to a prison, where I am beaten and raped by inmates, until I join a hardened prison gang.

Except that most drug arrests of users don't take place with SWAT teams. Most arrests, even SWAT arrests, are made without a shot being fired. Sometimes, users can get off with just going to a rehabilitation center. And most people in jail aren't raped.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Caninope wrote:
Bendira wrote:

No, actually, it is the idea that one has to work inside the system to criticize it.

It's no more a personal attack than to the 75 other million who didn't vote in 2008.

That argument is a really tired double-edged sword. I can say the same if you participate in the system

You participated in the system, you lost, now stop complaining.
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Bendira
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:02 pm

Caninope wrote:
Bendira wrote:

Except that most drug arrests of users don't take place with SWAT teams. Most arrests, even SWAT arrests, are made without a shot being fired. Sometimes, users can get off with just going to a rehabilitation center. And most people in jail aren't raped.

Nothing you just said has anything to do with a minority position stopping an action.
Political Compass:

Your political compass

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:04 pm

Bendira wrote:
Caninope wrote:No, actually, it is the idea that one has to work inside the system to criticize it.

That argument is a really tired double-edged sword. I can say the same if you participate in the system

For your benefit, this also is not a personal attack.

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Person012345 wrote:
Bendira wrote:

For your benefit, this also is not a personal attack.

Are you sure? It looks pretty attacky to me. :eyebrow:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General