NATION

PASSWORD

London or New York?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which City is Better?

London
52%
New York
48%

Total votes : 181

Nimzonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nimzonia » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Nimzonia wrote:
The US doesn't have any true castles. They are all just follies or large houses with the word 'castle' in the name.

No, we have castles here that were brought over here from Europe.

No, you have replicas of castles that were demolished in Europe.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:58 pm

Nimzonia wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:No, we have castles here that were brought over here from Europe.

:roll: It was taken down and rebuilt with the same materials here, hardly a demolition.
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

Nimzonia
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nimzonia » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:10 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Nimzonia wrote:

:roll: It was taken down and rebuilt with the same materials here, hardly a demolition.

Priceless antiques generally aren't regarded as being the same when they've been smashed and glued back together.

In any case, I think you're mistaken, and that either the building in question is not a true castle, or was not actually imported from Europe. Real castles are not very portable due to the way they are constructed and the fact that they are almost all in various states of decay.

Do you have a source? Or even a name? Because I can find no evidence of such a castle.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:18 pm

Nimzonia wrote:
Hegstoria wrote: :roll: It was taken down and rebuilt with the same materials here, hardly a demolition.

Priceless antiques generally aren't regarded as being the same when they've been smashed and glued back together.

In any case, I think you're mistaken, and that either the building in question is not a true castle, or was not actually imported from Europe. Real castles are not very portable due to the way they are constructed and the fact that they are almost all in various states of decay.

Do you have a source? Or even a name? Because I can find no evidence of such a castle.

Wow... You actually decided to go look? You'd swear this was some serious debate or something. No, I do not know the name. It's in a town a short distance from where I live up atop a mountain, it can be seen from the Taconic Parkway or the 87/287 highway (I can't remember which one it is). I know about it through someone who's been to it before.
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

Nimzonia
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nimzonia » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:41 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Nimzonia wrote:

Wow... You actually decided to go look? You'd swear this was some serious debate or something. No, I do not know the name. It's in a town a short distance from where I live up atop a mountain, it can be seen from the Taconic Parkway or the 87/287 highway (I can't remember which one it is). I know about it through someone who's been to it before.

Castles are an interest of mine, so if this did happen I would like to know. I'm pretty certain the building in question is not a real castle, however.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:11 pm

Nadkor wrote:London has a 900 year old castle right in the middle of the city, and in it's original location. You may be familiar with it:

So does Newcastle. But that is hardly a reason to go there. (Well unless you can't get into the University).
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

The Parthians
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2004
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby The Parthians » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:17 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:
The Parthians wrote:New York has quite literally everything ever conceived of on Earth.

Seriously. Delivery Afghan food. London doesn't have that,

Therefore, New York.

You probably can get everything in London too with the right amount of money.

And London does have Afghan delivery food.

Oh.

Well then, London wins.

The women have better accents there.
"And as you approach Parthia's prisons..."What's that buzzing noise, a factory?"
"No, that's all the carrion flies near the prison."
-New Edom

Because profit is more important than morality, obviously.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General