NATION

PASSWORD

London or New York?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which City is Better?

London
52%
New York
48%

Total votes : 181

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Conoga wrote:
Ad Nihilo wrote:
No snow in the winter, usually. Which is a huge improvement to 4ft+ of snow in my opinion.

The snow is beautiful.

Up to the point where you have to walk in it. Or when it starts melting in that most disgusting slush.

Conoga
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Hegstoria wrote:Bad accents? English Accents are the most irritating accents ever.

Have you ever head a Czech accent?

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Ad Nihilo wrote:Note the plural in my original post. I never claimed there to be an American accent. But rather a plurality of American accents, most of which I find very irritating. Given the area, I'd guess I'd be talking about the Italian and Irish influenced New York accents, African American accents, and the New England accent (which is by far the most irritating).

I actually really like American accents, even the Jewish American ones that are allegedly the most annoying ones in New York. In fact, I prefer them to many London accents.

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:52 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
St George of England wrote:London, hands down. Better landmarks (and nothing French about ours as well), better food, christopher's covent garden bacon cheese burger awesome!!!!, better weather, better people, better entertainment, just better all round.

Oh, and the Gerkin kick's the Statute of Liberties ass.

lolwut?

i was in NY for two weeks, it rained like every day. it's never rained when i've been in London. Also, NYers are really rude.

Oh and another thing that makes London better: the Globe.

And I've always laughed at Americans when they saw Concord. It's hilarious.
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

Light and life
Attaché

Founded: Jul 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

this thing

Postby Light and life » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:52 pm

i have 3 best citys

.venice
.new york
.eninbrure
your choice fools the gun or the grenade

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
(\/)
(-_-)
(")(")

Conoga
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:53 pm

Light and life wrote:i have 3 best citys

.venice
.new york
.eninbrure

Have you even been to Venice?

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:53 pm

Hegstoria wrote:lol, one thing during one season. You have two types of weather, cloudy, and rainy. The British Climate is the most depressing climate in the world. New York is situated in the perfect climate, we can go sking in the winter and go sun bathing in the summer without any effort.

London is hot and sunny in the summer, usually. And it actually gets less rain than New York.

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:54 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Ad Nihilo wrote:
No snow in the winter, usually. Which is a huge improvement to 4ft+ of snow in my opinion.

lol, one thing during one season. You have two types of weather, cloudy, and rainy. The British Climate is the most depressing climate in the world. New York is situated in the perfect climate, we can go sking in the winter and go sun bathing in the summer without any effort.

Oh, and in my 16 years living in the New York Metropolitan area, we have never gotten over 4 feet of snow. In fact, the city rarely gets over a couple of inches.

That thing about bad weather is almost as much of a myth as the bad teeth thing. London in particular has pretty nice average temperatures in the summer, and even better ones in the winter (it never goes under 5C for more than a couple of weeks a year). Yay, the Gulf Stream. Even if it is cloudy, it is quite warm. But the whole "gray weather" thing has more or less been solved with the eradication of the smog decades ago.

St George of England
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:56 pm

Ad Nihilo wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:lol, one thing during one season. You have two types of weather, cloudy, and rainy. The British Climate is the most depressing climate in the world. New York is situated in the perfect climate, we can go sking in the winter and go sun bathing in the summer without any effort.

Oh, and in my 16 years living in the New York Metropolitan area, we have never gotten over 4 feet of snow. In fact, the city rarely gets over a couple of inches.

That thing about bad weather is almost as much of a myth as the bad teeth thing. London in particular has pretty nice average temperatures in the summer, and even better ones in the winter (it never goes under 5C for more than a couple of weeks a year). Yay, the Gulf Stream. Even if it is cloudy, it is quite warm. But the whole "gray weather" thing has more or less been solved with the eradication of the smog decades ago.

unlike the bronx, seriously is there a more depressing place in the civilized world?

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:56 pm

Ad Nihilo wrote:

Whatever, it still doesn't change the fact that New York winters are mild compared to most places in our region.
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:57 pm

St George of England wrote:
Ad Nihilo wrote:

unlike the bronx, seriously is there a more depressing place in the civilized world?

Considering I lived there for 7 years and still have friends there, I don't find it depressing at all. And theres no smog in the Bronx that isn't in the rest of the city.
Last edited by Hegstoria on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

embassy program

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:57 pm

Hydesland wrote:
Ad Nihilo wrote:Note the plural in my original post. I never claimed there to be an American accent. But rather a plurality of American accents, most of which I find very irritating. Given the area, I'd guess I'd be talking about the Italian and Irish influenced New York accents, African American accents, and the New England accent (which is by far the most irritating).

I actually really like American accents, even the Jewish American ones that are allegedly the most annoying ones in New York. In fact, I prefer them to many London accents.

I admit I have had some prejudice against Cockney accents, but to be honest, after you meet some decent people (read attractive AND intelligent GIRLS) that speak it it, it's actually quite alright.

Besides, in central London most people speak RP anyway.

St George of England
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:57 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Ad Nihilo wrote:

Whatever, it still doesn't change the fact that New York winters are mild compared to most places in our region.

such are the joys of global warming.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:59 pm

St George of England wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:Whatever, it still doesn't change the fact that New York winters are mild compared to most places in our region.

such are the joys of global warming.

This isn't a recent development, New York has always had a mild climate.

embassy program

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:59 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Ad Nihilo wrote:

In London, the average temperature during Winter tends to revolve around 10C, except for a couple of weeks in January.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:00 pm

Ad Nihilo wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:Whatever, it still doesn't change the fact that New York winters are mild compared to most places in our region.

In London, the average temperature during Winter tends to revolve around 10C, except for a couple of weeks in January.

Because ours does?

embassy program

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:04 pm

Dunno. Wiki says on average, during the winter at least, London has a couple of degrees above NY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York#Climate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London#Climate

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:09 pm

Ad Nihilo wrote:Dunno. Wiki says on average, during the winter at least, London has a couple of degrees above NY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York#Climate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London#Climate

Here is a link about the average tempertatures of London:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/city_guides/results.shtml
and one about New York:
http://www.nytix.com/NewYorkCity/articles/temperature.html
If you do the conversions yourself the Winter temp is about equal, give or take depending on the month.

embassy program

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:13 pm

Oh well. At least the wiki sources already provide the conversion to Celsius. Either way, it supports the idea that the whole thing about London having bad weather is a myth.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:15 pm

Ad Nihilo wrote:Oh well. At least the wiki sources already provide the conversion to Celsius. Either way, it supports the idea that the whole thing about London having bad weather is a myth.

*Cough*and like wise New York *cough*

embassy program

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:19 pm

I don't think anyone claimed otherwise. However it was certainly explicitly said that London had "bad weather".

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Ad Nihilo wrote:I don't think anyone claimed otherwise. However it was certainly explicitly said that London had "bad weather".

It was said that New York had over 4 ft of snow every winter and was frigidly cold... I'd say thats calling the climate bad.

embassy program

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:00 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Ad Nihilo wrote:I don't think anyone claimed otherwise. However it was certainly explicitly said that London had "bad weather".

It was said that New York had over 4 ft of snow every winter and was frigidly cold... I'd say thats calling the climate bad.

Ah... guilty for confusing state with city climate, then. :)

(also, frigid tends to mean something else :p )

Urcea
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 13, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Urcea » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:03 pm

New York.
The Federal Republic of Urcea
President| Brianna Johnson
National Ideology| National Democracy
National Info/Links| Factbook, NSEconomy, Roman Catholic Church

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:32 pm

Ad Nihilo wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:Bad accents? English Accents are the most irritating accents ever.

Lulz... I was making a statement of taste. No need to get all argumental about absolute aesthetic standards mkay? If you find them irritating, fine. The feeling is entirely mutual :)

I'm more interested to know which accent is Hegstoria's "English" one.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General