NATION

PASSWORD

London or New York?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which City is Better?

London
52%
New York
48%

Total votes : 181

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:26 pm

Suckeryou wrote:New York City by far.

In New York, while I'd have to spend a hunk of money on assorted fees and such, not to mention grease a few dozen palms (and other assorted bodily areas), I'd be able to own a License to Carry a Concealed Firearm. SO the next time I'm having a little stroll around the Wall Street district and some Obama supporter wants me to share the wealth, I can point my Smith & Wesson at him/her and tell them be gone.

London not only is in a country where defending themselves from burglars is unlawful, the price of living is much worse than New York City. Don't even ask about pistol licenses; handguns are illegal. Hence so many crimes are committed with pistols.

We have a Conceal and Carry law? I thought only Texas and like 2 other states allowed it.
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

Suckeryou
Envoy

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Suckeryou » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:26 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Ad Nihilo wrote:Image
That looks better than the car.
Capitalism is just Darwinism with money.

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:29 pm

:lol: Actually it does (I can see it in that quote)

Suckeryou
Envoy

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Suckeryou » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Suckeryou wrote:New York City by far.

In New York, while I'd have to spend a hunk of money on assorted fees and such, not to mention grease a few dozen palms (and other assorted bodily areas), I'd be able to own a License to Carry a Concealed Firearm. SO the next time I'm having a little stroll around the Wall Street district and some Obama supporter wants me to share the wealth, I can point my Smith & Wesson at him/her and tell them be gone.

London not only is in a country where defending themselves from burglars is unlawful, the price of living is much worse than New York City. Don't even ask about pistol licenses; handguns are illegal. Hence so many crimes are committed with pistols.

We have a Conceal and Carry law? I thought only Texas and like 2 other states allowed it.

MOST States have Carry Concealed laws. All but 2 States permit Carry Concealed. Illinois and,I think, Michigan. I'm not an expert on the matter, so you better look up somebody that is.

Like I said, I would have to spend a lot of money to get such a permit. Only a few on Official Rules & Regulations.
Capitalism is just Darwinism with money.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Suckeryou wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:
That looks better than the car.

(I get the feeling that pic might just be on the verge of rule breaking.)
Honestly I don't... She reminds me of Alma from FEAR.

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

embassy program

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:35 pm

London, but only just, it's seriously spoiled by the huge, horrible, grim never ending run down suburbs that surround the city on the outskirts.

New La Habana
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New La Habana » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:37 pm

Hydesland wrote:London, but only just, it's seriously spoiled by the huge, horrible, grim never ending run down suburbs that surround the city on the outskirts.

Yes, His Holiness Boris Johnson just hasn't got around to hiring the bulldozers yet......
Last edited by New La Habana on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original NationStates Player Since 2002

Division 5 Alert Level:54321
Division 10 Alert Level:54321
Division 11 Alert Level:54321

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:37 pm

London, because I'm from Boston, and fuck New York.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Zirconim
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zirconim » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:37 pm

Lackadaisical2 wrote:New York, more sexy Asians.

I dated an Asian from New York a few months ago. I endorse this message^
Embassies In: Cosumar
Israslovakahzerbajan
Lemonius
Tech: PMT/FT
Economic: -3.00
Socially: -5.64

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all." -Mario Savio
Featured Album(s):
Sukekiyo-Immortalis
Featured Song(s):
David Bowie-Blackstar

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:39 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:London, because I'm from Boston, and fuck New York.

loser... :P

embassy program

Sarkhaan
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarkhaan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:39 pm

Also, this.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:40 pm

Dimoniquid wrote:London.

Suck it up, yanks!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Ad Nihilo wrote:American accents

what is this

There is no "American accent," especially in NY. NY's so clogged with foreigners that it's funny.

Suckeryou wrote:MOST States have Carry Concealed laws. All but 2 States permit Carry Concealed. Illinois and,I think, Michigan. I'm not an expert on the matter, so you better look up somebody that is.

Like I said, I would have to spend a lot of money to get such a permit. Only a few on Official Rules & Regulations.

Oddly enough, Texas was one of the later states to allow CCW. Wisconsin and Illinois are the only two states that don't allow CCW, and most states are "Shall Issue," which means that unless you're a psycho or something, they will pretty much automatically give you a CCW permit. Hawaii legally allows CCWs, but their government refuses to issue CCWs anyways.

Also, in Vermont, Alaska, and Arizona, you don't even have to apply for a license.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

Conoga
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:42 pm

Care for some tea?

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:45 pm

London, hands down. Better landmarks (and nothing French about ours as well), better food, christopher's covent garden bacon cheese burger awesome!!!!, better weather, better people, better entertainment, just better all round.

Oh, and the Gerkin kick's the Statute of Liberties ass.
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:46 pm

St George of England wrote:London, hands down. Better landmarks (and nothing French about ours as well), better food, christopher's covent garden bacon cheese burger awesome!!!!, better weather, better people, better entertainment, just better all round.

lolwut?

embassy program

New La Habana
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New La Habana » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:46 pm

Conoga wrote:

Care for some tea?

Fool, everyone knows that people from Boston don't know what to do with tea, they just throw it into the harbour out of frustration......
Original NationStates Player Since 2002

Division 5 Alert Level:54321
Division 10 Alert Level:54321
Division 11 Alert Level:54321

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:46 pm

New La Habana wrote:
Conoga wrote:Care for some tea?

Fool, everyone knows that people from Boston don't know what to do with tea, they just throw it into the harbour out of frustration......

Thats Wicked cool.

:P

embassy program

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:47 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:
Ad Nihilo wrote:American accents

what is this

There is no "American accent," especially in NY. NY's so clogged with foreigners that it's funny.

Note the plural in my original post. I never claimed there to be an American accent. But rather a plurality of American accents, most of which I find very irritating. Given the area, I'd guess I'd be talking about the Italian and Irish influenced New York accents, African American accents, and the New England accent (which is by far the most irritating).

Conoga
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:47 pm

New La Habana wrote:
Conoga wrote:Care for some tea?

No! That was those foolish Natives!

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
St George of England wrote:London, hands down. Better landmarks (and nothing French about ours as well), better food, christopher's covent garden bacon cheese burger awesome!!!!, better weather, better people, better entertainment, just better all round.

lolwut?

No snow in the winter, usually. Which is a huge improvement to 4ft+ of snow in my opinion.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 pm

Ad Nihilo wrote:
The Grand World Order wrote:
what is this

Note the plural in my original post. I never claimed there to be an American accent. But rather a plurality of American accents, most of which I find very irritating. Given the area, I'd guess I'd be talking about the Italian and Irish influenced New York accents, African American accents, and the New England accent (which is by far the most irritating).

Bad accents? English Accents are the most irritating accents ever.

embassy program

Conoga
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Ad Nihilo wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:lolwut?

No snow in the winter, usually. Which is a huge improvement to 4ft+ of snow in my opinion.

The snow is beautiful.

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Ad Nihilo wrote:

Bad accents? English Accents are the most irritating accents ever.

Lulz... I was making a statement of taste. No need to get all argumental about absolute aesthetic standards mkay? If you find them irritating, fine. The feeling is entirely mutual :)

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Ad Nihilo wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:lolwut?

lol, one thing during one season. You have two types of weather, cloudy, and rainy. The British Climate is the most depressing climate in the world. New York is situated in the perfect climate, we can go sking in the winter and go sun bathing in the summer without any effort.

Oh, and in my 16 years living in the New York Metropolitan area, we have never gotten over 4 feet of snow. In fact, the city rarely gets over a couple of inches.

embassy program

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General