NATION

PASSWORD

Military ban on gay service declared unconstitutional

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Bydlostan wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Bydlostan wrote:
Geniasis wrote:
Bydlostan wrote:I don't see anything wrong with DADT, people should keep their sex lives to themselves.

The issue is that if someone is found to be gay, DADT requires their discharge.

In practice, this rarely happened as it was generally up to thee local commander to enforce it. Too many soldiers decided they'd rather be gay then get deployed and cheat the system only to get deployed. serve their contracts and then, maybe get a general discharge.

I do think discharge is too harsh and bad policy, a better policy is that soldiers should just be discouraged or reprimanded if they don't keep tight-lipped about their sex life, just as they are about sexual harassment or racist views. It doesn't help you in any workplace.

DADT discharge was a medical and honorable.

I think it was still a bar to re-enlistment, though.

Yeah that's a bar. You can have a bar with any discharge, or even while your still serving.
For instance getting HIV is a bar to reenlist though they do not discharge you for it.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Urcea
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 13, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Urcea » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:31 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:I'm not arguing in opposition to the Constitution. It doesn't state that marriage is a right guaranteed to individuals...

Sure it does. Just, not specifically, and with enumeration.

I can just as well say that the regulation of marriage is a right guaranteed to the states.

It isn't?
The Federal Republic of Urcea
President| Brianna Johnson
National Ideology| National Democracy
National Info/Links| Factbook, NSEconomy, Roman Catholic Church

JJ Place
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby JJ Place » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:31 pm

Greater Americania wrote:I'm getting damn tired of these overactive courts using far more authority than they should have acquired. The very concept of judicial review should be reevaluated Constitutionally and edited so that Courts will not have the authority to make decisions like this. The Courts are becoming as though a legislature of their own. All they have to do is scream "unconstitutional" and they can enforce whatever they please.

That's a check on the other two branches of government; that's the exact function the Founders allowed for the Judicial System to ensure the Executive Branch did not become a dictatorship, and the Legislative branch does not become tyrannical. The System has worked fairly well thus far, with a few major flaws, however.

greed and death wrote:http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/09/federal-judge-declares-us-military-ban-on-openly-gay-service-members-unconstitutional-.html

Wow, This good news.
So what thinks NSG.

Hooray! This a Fabulous Decision on the Court System!
The price of cheese is eternal Vignotte.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:31 pm

Bydlostan wrote:It shouldn't effect anything by itself, but Sodomy is still a punishable offense in the UCMJ. So its not wise admit to that sort of thing anyways.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punitivearticles/a/mcm125.htm

Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 5 years.

Do you have any idea how many soldiers openly admit to getting blow-jobs (not permitted under that article)?
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Bydlostan (Ancient)
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bydlostan (Ancient) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:31 pm

Altamirus wrote:
Holy Paradise wrote:A person's sexual orientation has no bearing upon their ability to serve our country. There is no legal, moral, or pragmatic reason for preventing an openly gay person from being a soldier. Considering that the armed forces are always clamoring for more recruits, while this will not completely solve that issue, it will nonetheless alleviate that problem.

Sexuality shouldn't even come up. It's unprofessional.

exactly.

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:32 pm

Urcea wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:I'm not arguing in opposition to the Constitution. It doesn't state that marriage is a right guaranteed to individuals...

Sure it does. Just, not specifically, and with enumeration.

I can just as well say that the regulation of marriage is a right guaranteed to the states.

It isn't?

Some people (*cough*libtards*cough*) think it isn't.
Cobhanglica's top officials
President: George Rockwell
Sec. of Foreign Relations: Martin Lansing
Sec. of Defense: General James Arnold
Sec. of Trade: Henry Ford Smith

My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.72

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:35 pm

Bydlostan wrote:
SaintB wrote:equal rights and equal opportunities

Not in the military, you don't.

You've proven to be so ill informed about everything in this thread thus far that I won't even get into this.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Bydlostan (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bydlostan (Ancient) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:35 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Bydlostan wrote:It shouldn't effect anything by itself, but Sodomy is still a punishable offense in the UCMJ. So its not wise admit to that sort of thing anyways.

Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 5 years.

Do you have any idea how many soldiers openly admit to getting blow-jobs (not permitted under that article)?

How many soldiers sleep on OP or guard duty? Just because they do, doesn't mean they should.

Sith Korriban
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sith Korriban » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:37 pm

Altamirus wrote:Sexuality shouldn't even come up. It's unproffessional.

... :lol2: Of course they'll talk about sex, they're young males.
But even in your fantasy of a perfectly polite military, is there not room for the classic sentimental image of soldiers talking about their wives/girlfriends/other partners back home? Showing the photos, say, of a wife and child they miss just now? Why shouldn't a gay soldier get to say just as easily that he misses his boyfriend?

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Sith Korriban wrote:The body produces oil. Therefore the only thing to do is slather soldiers (but not their uniforms, those have to be tidy so they can put them on after) in lots and lots of oil.

And let me watch. :p

Talk about a wet dream.

*innocent* You say that like a girl can't gleefully picture oiled-up men in nothing but their combat boots. :p

On a more serious note, though, I gotta congratulate you, because from the point I happened across one of your posts identifying you as a soldier, I've had to notice; the way you debate and express yourself reflects well on the army as a whole. 's cool guys like you that show the good side of who soldiers can be. Just putting that out there while I remember it. ;)
~Dark Lady of the Sith
"Sometimes you have to walk in darkness to bring the truth to light"
"So be angry about that! Hate! Rage! Despair! Allow yourself, just once, to stop playing the game of Jedi Knight, and admit what you have always known: you are alone, and you are great, and when the world strikes you it is better to strike back than turn your cheek." ―Dooku, to Yoda

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:37 pm

Bydlostan wrote:How many soldiers sleep on OP or guard duty? Just because they do, doesn't mean they should.

Yeah, I really don't see what's so bad about a blow-job, nor do I think the military should discharge that large of a chunk or its personnel. That's how we roll.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:43 pm

Sith Korriban wrote:*innocent* You say that like a girl can't gleefully picture oiled-up men in nothing but their combat boots. :p

I'm sure some volunteer work could be found for you, angel.

Sith Korriban wrote:On a more serious note, though, I gotta congratulate you, because from the point I happened across one of your posts identifying you as a soldier, I've had to notice; the way you debate and express yourself reflects well on the army as a whole. 's cool guys like you that show the good side of who soldiers can be. Just putting that out there while I remember it. ;)

That's an affirmative.

Thanks. :kiss:
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Dorf Island
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dorf Island » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm an Army vet and there were two gay sevicemembers in my company. No one gave a damn and everyone liked them just fine. They did their job well, they didn't hit on anyone, there were absolutely no problems. If gays feel a need to be open about their sexuality I seriously doubt it will be a problem. The military has enough discipline to keep all the rednecks in check. People shouldn't have to pretend to be someone they aren't.
An Apple Jack in a box of Fruit Loops.

Underium
Senator

Founded: Jun 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Underium » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Altamirus wrote:
Sith Korriban wrote:
Altamirus wrote:Sexuality shouldn't even come up. It's unproffessional.

... :lol2: Of course they'll talk about sex, they're young males.
But even in your fantasy of a perfectly polite military, is there not room for the classic sentimental image of soldiers talking about their wives/girlfriends/other partners back home? Showing the photos, say, of a wife and child they miss just now? Why shouldn't a gay soldier get to say just as easily that he misses his boyfriend?

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Sith Korriban wrote:The body produces oil. Therefore the only thing to do is slather soldiers (but not their uniforms, those have to be tidy so they can put them on after) in lots and lots of oil.

And let me watch. :p

Talk about a wet dream.

*innocent* You say that like a girl can't gleefully picture oiled-up men in nothing but their combat boots. :p

On a more serious note, though, I gotta congratulate you, because from the point I happened across one of your posts identifying you as a soldier, I've had to notice; the way you debate and express yourself reflects well on the army as a whole. 's cool guys like you that show the good side of who soldiers can be. Just putting that out there while I remember it. ;)

Of course they talk about sex and unprofessional shit, just keep it in their letters, computers and pants and away from their work. Keep the beer for when complete the mission and are heading home and if you have the urge of being unprofessional do it in a productive and benefical way. For explame I see no problem with stripping a fallen enemy and selling their stuff so that you could buy and useful accessory to your assault rifle.

you mean a accesory like a hello kitty shaped laser?

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Altamirus wrote:Risk of STD transfer.

So you're saying we should ban sex for servicemen?

We ought to ban smoking while were at it: risk of cancer.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Underium wrote:you mean a accesory like a hello kitty shaped laser?

Sounds downright fabulous...

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:57 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

*raises hand*

Though i do know a solider who got 2 years for receiving a BJ.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:00 pm

greed and death wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

*raises hand*

Though i do a solider who got 2 years for receiving a BJ.

What an awesome typo. Awesome... or Freudian...?
I identify as
a problem

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:01 pm

To the righties whining here about "judicial overreach", "judicial activism" and the like:

The Constitution of the United States, Article Three, Section Two wrote:The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution, the laws of the United States, and treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority....to all cases of Admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction.....to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party.

Also, have any of you actually read the damn decision?

Of course, Obama will go on air with some wishy-washy statement of how he really doesn't hate the gays, but he wishes they'd stop pushing so hard for those pesky civil rights of theirs, yada, yada, yada....thus incurring the enmity of both sides of politics again.
Last edited by New Chalcedon on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Altamirus wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:
Bydlostan wrote:How many soldiers sleep on OP or guard duty? Just because they do, doesn't mean they should.

Yeah, I really don't see what's so bad about a blow-job, nor do I think the military should discharge that large of a chunk or its personnel. That's how we roll.

Risk of STD transfer.

I've heard a rumour that it's quite dangerous to get shot at, too.
I identify as
a problem

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
greed and death wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

*raises hand*

Though i do a solider who got 2 years for receiving a BJ.

What an awesome typo. Awesome... or Freudian...?

i should not be drunken posting.
Barack Obama

Bydlostan (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bydlostan (Ancient) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:02 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Altamirus wrote:Risk of STD transfer.

We ought to ban smoking while were at it: risk of cancer.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/06/military_smoking_063009w/

Don't give anybody ideas, man.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:02 pm

greed and death wrote:*raises hand*

Though i do know a solider who got 2 years for receiving a BJ.

Yet if I recall correctly, that was merely used as a pretense to prosecute him for something he couldn't otherwise have be prosecuted for, namely the complaint of a mother.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Even if happened it would just another one of a million regulations that are regularly ignored in the military.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Finally.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Lelvona
Attaché

Founded: Aug 19, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Lelvona » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:05 pm

Took long enough and it believe it is the justice departments job to appeal and they will not so YEAH I CAN GO INTO THE MILITARY NOW!!!!
His High Excellency President Jake Lorna
Lead Country of the Lelvonian Commonwealth of Nations
Commander of the Coalition of Defending Nations

DEFCON: 1 2 3 4 5
THREATCON: 1 2 3 4 5
NIDCON: 1 2 3 4
ALPHACON: 5 4 3 2 1

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General