NATION

PASSWORD

Military ban on gay service declared unconstitutional

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 pm

Sith Korriban wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:What's the big deal, anyway? Are openly gay service members more likely to rape people or something? I don't get it. What's so bad about it?

I'd still like an answer to this.

It's because some people just long for the good old days of the ancient times. Pillage, plunder, and village women. A gay soldier just won't take part, which makes him a poopyhead who doesn't like the same bonding activities as the rest. *nods sagely*

Didn't ancient Greek soldiers have teh gay?
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Kwewu
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kwewu » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Underium wrote:
Kwewu wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Kwewu wrote:This is what i think will happen because of this. Soldier A develops feelings for Soldier B. Soldier B is wounded/killed while in combat as the rest of his squad is retreating. Soldier A goes back for Soldier B because of his feelings and gets killed as well. Soldier A could be carrying extra ammo, or the medical supplies. It's also another life lost. In my opinion, nothing good will come of this.

Of course, in your little thought experiment, Soldier B could have been the one with the ammo or medical supplies, that would have got left behind if Soldier A hadn't gone back for him.

I think you've watched too much Pirates of the Caribbean if you immediately assume that anyone that falls behind, is left behind. Regardless of whether or not they are lovers.

Soldier B could have the ammo or medical supplies, but if the area is under fire, you don't go back immediately for it. Soldier A might immediately go back for him, instead of waiting for the firefight to subside. Emotion clouds judgement.

On a side note: Not a huge fan of Pirates. Seen the first one once and thats it.

same problem if you replaced soldier B with a girl soldier A was interested in!

Yes, same problem, but thats why i don't want women on the front lines. But thats a topic for another thread

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Liuzzo wrote:This is off topic and I'm not going too get into it any further than to point you to the supremacy clause. Otherwise under your argument Georgia could bring back slavery and the federal government could do nothing about it. Because the states have the right to make that decision. Ok folks, I need to get my "liberal" (HAHA) ass to bed to go to work tomorrow. Be well and may the Goddess of Nymn bless you with her minions. Yes, sarcasm is just my method of dealing with incredible thickness.

Slavery is banned under the 13th Amendment. Georgia couldn't bring it back unless they first repealed that Amendment. Marriage is not mentioned anywhere in the Constitution, and the supremacy clause merely states that the laws of the federal government supersede those of the states when they conflict with one another. It does NOT in any way, shape, or form grant the federal government unlimited powers to legislate in any area that it pleases.
Cobhanglica's top officials
President: George Rockwell
Sec. of Foreign Relations: Martin Lansing
Sec. of Defense: General James Arnold
Sec. of Trade: Henry Ford Smith

My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.72

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Xsyne wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:You can make the the argument that the FEDERAL government has no right to regulate marriages, but the states most definitely do have that right. If they want to define marriage as only between 1 man and exactly 3 donkeys, they have the right to do so.

There's this thing called the fourteenth amendment. You might want to look at it sometime.

There's the thing that marriage is not a Constitutionally guaranteed right...

What do you base that claim on? Why isn't it - for example - one of the 'rights' not-specifically-enumerated?

You have to limit the extent of the 14th Amendment somewhere; otherwise it can be used to protect any and all activities. I prefer to go no further than the text of the Constitution when it comes to looking at the 14th.

What you prefer is irrelevant. The whole point of including text that specified that there ARE other 'rights' not specifically enumerated - is that there ARE other rights, NOT specifically enumerated.

If you're arguing only the specifically enumerated rights are genuine, you're arguing in opposition to the Constitution. Your argument is, by definition, un-Constitutional.
I identify as
a problem

Sith Korriban
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sith Korriban » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:21 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Sith Korriban wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:What's the big deal, anyway? Are openly gay service members more likely to rape people or something? I don't get it. What's so bad about it?

It's because some people just long for the good old days of the ancient times. Pillage, plunder, and village women. A gay soldier just won't take part, which makes him a poopyhead who doesn't like the same bonding activities as the rest. *nods sagely*

Oh yes, but they washed and shaved and all that stuff. Not manly enough for the Viking fetishists...
~Dark Lady of the Sith
"Sometimes you have to walk in darkness to bring the truth to light"
"So be angry about that! Hate! Rage! Despair! Allow yourself, just once, to stop playing the game of Jedi Knight, and admit what you have always known: you are alone, and you are great, and when the world strikes you it is better to strike back than turn your cheek." ―Dooku, to Yoda

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Gahaldu wrote:
Bydlostan wrote:
SaintB wrote:equal rights and equal opportunities

Not in the military, you don't.

But why should something as simple as one's sexual orientation affect things?

It shouldn't. However people have a way of making things like that affect things.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Kwewu wrote:Soldier B could have the ammo or medical supplies, but if the area is under fire, you don't go back immediately for it. Soldier A might immediately go back for him, instead of waiting for the firefight to subside. Emotion clouds judgement.

That happens easily without gays serving openly--that happens all the time, because combat troops have a bond that is stronger than husband and wife.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Zephie
Senator

Founded: Oct 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:21 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Sith Korriban wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

yes, many armies practiced homosexuality, mostly because there were no women around.
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.
Senestrum wrote:I just can't think of anything to say that wouldn't get me warned on this net-nanny forum.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:22 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f7js0mL ... re=related

The West Wing handled this issue pretty well, IMO

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Sith Korriban wrote:Oh yes, but they washed and shaved and all that stuff. Not manly enough for the Viking fetishists...

Nah, they didn't shave until Alexander the Great made it hip.

I dunno about washing, though. Yes, we will have to do something about that. . . .
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Kwewu wrote: Emotion clouds judgement.

Absolutely. Fear, for example. Big motivator. Probably features a WHOLE lot more in the heat of battle than being horny.

On the other hand - you know what clouds judgement even more than emotion? Some fucker shooting you. And yet, the military somehow manages to deal with that risk.
I identify as
a problem

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Xsyne wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:You can make the the argument that the FEDERAL government has no right to regulate marriages, but the states most definitely do have that right. If they want to define marriage as only between 1 man and exactly 3 donkeys, they have the right to do so.

There's this thing called the fourteenth amendment. You might want to look at it sometime.

There's the thing that marriage is not a Constitutionally guaranteed right...

What do you base that claim on? Why isn't it - for example - one of the 'rights' not-specifically-enumerated?

You have to limit the extent of the 14th Amendment somewhere; otherwise it can be used to protect any and all activities. I prefer to go no further than the text of the Constitution when it comes to looking at the 14th.

What you prefer is irrelevant. The whole point of including text that specified that there ARE other 'rights' not specifically enumerated - is that there ARE other rights, NOT specifically enumerated.

If you're arguing only the specifically enumerated rights are genuine, you're arguing in opposition to the Constitution. Your argument is, by definition, un-Constitutional.

I'm not arguing in opposition to the Constitution. It doesn't state that marriage is a right guaranteed to individuals (nor does it grant the federal government any powers to regulate it), so under the 10th Amendment, that power may fall either to the state governments (which it has for the entirety of our history) or to individuals to marry as they see fit.

My Political Compass:

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:24 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:
Liuzzo wrote:This is off topic and I'm not going too get into it any further than to point you to the supremacy clause. Otherwise under your argument Georgia could bring back slavery and the federal government could do nothing about it. Because the states have the right to make that decision. Ok folks, I need to get my "liberal" (HAHA) ass to bed to go to work tomorrow. Be well and may the Goddess of Nymn bless you with her minions. Yes, sarcasm is just my method of dealing with incredible thickness.

Slavery is banned under the 13th Amendment. Georgia couldn't bring it back unless they first repealed that Amendment. Marriage is not mentioned anywhere in the Constitution, and the supremacy clause merely states that the laws of the federal government supersede those of the states when they conflict with one another. It does NOT in any way, shape, or form grant the federal government unlimited powers to legislate in any area that it pleases.

Slavery is completely legal, so long as you are found guilty of a crime, and that is part of the punishment.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:24 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:I'm not arguing in opposition to the Constitution. It doesn't state that marriage is a right guaranteed to individuals...

Sure it does. Just, not specifically, and with enumeration.
I identify as
a problem

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:25 pm

Kwewu wrote:Yes, same problem, but thats why i don't want women on the front lines. But thats a topic for another thread

It's because of people like you that we don't get stress relief out there other than cigarettes. :(
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:25 pm

Well, now that its legal, time to work on some other terrible atrocities.
*Goes to protest Kosovo and make Marijuana legal*

Really, though, its a pretty good thing. I know several openly gay people who have expressed interest in the military at those annoying High School recruitment booths, but couldn't due to the DADT policy.
Last edited by Ceannairceach on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Sith Korriban
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sith Korriban » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:25 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Sith Korriban wrote:Oh yes, but they washed and shaved and all that stuff. Not manly enough for the Viking fetishists...

Nah, they didn't shave until Alexander the Great made it hip.

I dunno about washing, though. Yes, we will have to do something about that. . . .

The body produces oil. Therefore the only thing to do is slather soldiers (but not their uniforms, those have to be tidy so they can put them on after) in lots and lots of oil.

And let me watch. :p
~Dark Lady of the Sith
"Sometimes you have to walk in darkness to bring the truth to light"
"So be angry about that! Hate! Rage! Despair! Allow yourself, just once, to stop playing the game of Jedi Knight, and admit what you have always known: you are alone, and you are great, and when the world strikes you it is better to strike back than turn your cheek." ―Dooku, to Yoda

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:I'm not arguing in opposition to the Constitution. It doesn't state that marriage is a right guaranteed to individuals...

I can just as well say that the regulation of marriage is a right guaranteed to the states.

My Political Compass:

Red Zone 1
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Red Zone 1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Wow. Took them this long for the court to figure that one out.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Caninope wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:

Slavery is completely legal, so long as you are found guilty of a crime, and that is part of the punishment.

That's not slavery. Slavery is when someone owns you.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Liuzzo
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Liuzzo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:
Liuzzo wrote:The USSC is not part of the federal government? Thanks for the lesson.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=20&p=3252779Wrong
It's not the part that gets to control the military. Congress passes the laws to fund and create the armies and the President commands them. SCOTUS has no powers relating to the military.

Wrong: http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34697.pdf

Wrong: http://assets.opencrs.com/rpts/RL34697_20081006.pdf

That was the appelate control of the court over military justice.

Here's over the President http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=4723 The court has the check of the president just like they do the legislative.

And over congress http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_powers_under_the_United_States_Constitution

Good night for real y'all.
Does that matter? Everyone becomes nice after they die. You never see people at funerals talking about how awful the dead person is, do you? -Meowfoundland

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

I can just as well say that the regulation of marriage is a right guaranteed to the states.

So, it's NOT a right, but it IS a right...

Well, I'm glad we cleared that up.
I identify as
a problem

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:29 pm

Sith Korriban wrote:The body produces oil. Therefore the only thing to do is slather soldiers (but not their uniforms, those have to be tidy so they can put them on after) in lots and lots of oil.

And let me watch. :p

Talk about a wet dream.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Liuzzo
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Liuzzo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:29 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:

Right so no DOMA and what can the states do? The 14th still applies. Getting back to the military please. I'm not having a gay marriage debate here that is already handles.
Does that matter? Everyone becomes nice after they die. You never see people at funerals talking about how awful the dead person is, do you? -Meowfoundland

Bydlostan (Ancient)
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bydlostan (Ancient) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Gahaldu wrote:
Bydlostan wrote:
SaintB wrote:equal rights and equal opportunities

Not in the military, you don't.

But why should something as simple as one's sexual orientation affect things?

It shouldn't effect anything by itself, but Sodomy is still a punishable offense in the UCMJ. So its not wise admit to that sort of thing anyways.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punitivearticles/a/mcm125.htm

Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 5 years.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General