NATION

PASSWORD

Military ban on gay service declared unconstitutional

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:10 pm

Greater Americania wrote:
Holy Paradise wrote:Oh, now you understand appeal-to-authority.

No. *sigh*. That's because what Congress decides is going to happen regardless. Admittedly, just because a judge deems a law unconstitutional doesn't mean that was a beneficial decision to society. But, in this case, the decision is beneficial! Why can't gays serve openly? Give some evidence that openly gay soldiers in the military hurt troop morale.

So now that I've shot down your "appeals to authority", you're running away from the whole "the federal judiciary is always right about the Constitution" thing? Exactly. You're just bolstering my point that this is nothing more than a left-wing aversion of the proper channels.

Your 'point' is opinion, and isn't based on fact - since the objections you're encountering have been coming from more liberal AND more conservative posters.

The point wasn't so much that the judiciary is always right - more that making judgements is their job, and that's what they are, thus, 'qualified' to do. That's not an ad hominem, unless telling the applicant at the ER that you won't let him do brain surgery since he's not a qualified surgeon is ALSO an ad hominem.
I identify as
a problem

Liuzzo
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Liuzzo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:10 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:
Geniasis wrote:
Greater Americania wrote:Explain how you're not making an ad hominem argument by saying "the federal judiciary is always right".

...Because that's not what an ad hominem is?

"The federal judiciary says this is unconstitutional. The federal judiciary has the authority to legally interpret the Constitution, and therefore is right. You oppose the federal judiciary's ruling and therefore are wrong." Sounds like an ad hominem to me.

Do you have any concept what the words "ad hominem" mean?
Your sentence makes about as much sense as "Explain to me why it isn't a baseball game when I cut my peanut butter sandwich in half."

Now that was awesome.
Does that matter? Everyone becomes nice after they die. You never see people at funerals talking about how awful the dead person is, do you? -Meowfoundland

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:11 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:Of course, in your little thought experiment, Soldier B could have been the one with the ammo or medical supplies, that would have got left behind if Soldier A hadn't gone back for him.

I think you've watched too much Pirates of the Caribbean if you immediately assume that anyone that falls behind, is left behind. Regardless of whether or not they are lovers.

I am an American Soldier.
I am a Warrior and a member of a team.
I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.
I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy, the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
I am an American Soldier.

Well, sure, if you're going to keep it secret, it's no wonder no one knows.

(Apparently).
I identify as
a problem

Liuzzo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Liuzzo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Here's a fun fact: The Lawsuit was brought on by the Log Cabin Republicans; a Republican organization. :)

Thank you Sir. Can we get a ruling on ad homenim to quiet the crowd?
Does that matter? Everyone becomes nice after they die. You never see people at funerals talking about how awful the dead person is, do you? -Meowfoundland

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:12 pm

SaintB wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Peddieville wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Exilia and Colonies wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Then we can just change the law to ban gays completely.

Nothing could possibly go wrong when this is legally challenged. It's not as if theres a precedent just been made against this sort of thing.

Oh wait...

Point to where in the Constitution that it says that gays are entitled to military service.

Point to the part int he Constitution where you can chose your own spouse. Oh, wait, that isn't anywhere in the Constitution. Guess the government will be choosing spouses from now on.

Wrong. The Constitution doesn't give the federal government the right to do that (I know this may be hard for a liberal to believe, but the federal government is not supposed to have unlimited powers) and no state government would be stupid enough to enact such a law.

That's the exact argument we are making for homosexual rights and you are calling it wrong; the government has no right to say homosexuals are any less a human than anyone else. Pot meet kettle.

You can make the the argument that the FEDERAL government has no right to regulate marriages, but the states most definitely do have that right. If they want to define marriage as only between 1 man and exactly 3 donkeys, they have the right to do so.
Cobhanglica's top officials
President: George Rockwell
Sec. of Foreign Relations: Martin Lansing
Sec. of Defense: General James Arnold
Sec. of Trade: Henry Ford Smith

My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.72

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:12 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:What's the big deal, anyway? Are openly gay service members more likely to rape people or something? I don't get it. What's so bad about it?

I'd still like an answer to this.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:13 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:You can make the the argument that the FEDERAL government has no right to regulate marriages, but the states most definitely do have that right. If they want to define marriage as only between 1 man and exactly 3 donkeys, they have the right to do so.

There's this thing called the fourteenth amendment. You might want to look at it sometime.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:13 pm

Liuzzo wrote:The USSC is not part of the federal government? Thanks for the lesson.

It's not the part that gets to control the military. Congress passes the laws to fund and create the armies and the President commands them. SCOTUS has no powers relating to the military.

My Political Compass:

Jimanistan
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Jimanistan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Greater Americania wrote:I'm getting damn tired of these overactive courts using far more authority than they should have acquired. The very concept of judicial review should be reevaluated Constitutionally and edited so that Courts will not have the authority to make decisions like this. The Courts are becoming as though a legislature of their own. All they have to do is scream "unconstitutional" and they can enforce whatever they please.

Deciding whether or not things are Constitutional is one of the main purposes of the Judicial system.
The Workers' State of Jimanistan
Demonym: Jimani
Capital: Fenario, Capital District
Head of State: Prime Minister Marie Clemente
Head of Government: Speaker Francois Durand

"The very cannibalism of the counterrevolution will convince the nations that there is only one way in which the murderous death agonies of the old society and the bloody birth throes of the new society can be shortened, simplified and concentrated, and that way is revolutionary terror."
- Karl Marx

Seculartopia
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seculartopia » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Greater Americania wrote:I'm getting damn tired of these overactive courts using far more authority than they should have acquired. The very concept of judicial review should be reevaluated Constitutionally and edited so that Courts will not have the authority to make decisions like this. The Courts are becoming as though a legislature of their own. All they have to do is scream "unconstitutional" and they can enforce whatever they please.

The courts have too much authority?

The courts have the entire authority to review laws for their impracticality in the law. Perhaps theyve just woken up from their yawning state and realized the problems that are out there. Or perhaps these are being more prominent.
LOL....Google Chrome doesnt support the Google Toolbar
|Seculartopia Encyclopedia|
|Ask Seculartopia A Question|

Alliances- International Secular Coalition-AMTF-Comintern Founding Member-Nuclear Arms Assembly

Ifreann Awesomeness
Rhodmire wrote:4/5 for being bold enough to put up what looks like something made from MS Paint.
That takes balls, and you've got them.

All was dark when the armies surrounded the town. There was little bloodshed as they swept in, and they quickly took control. "Success," said a communicator, "a base has been established."

OOC:There. Now, we'll wait for UK to catch up.

^EPIC RP GODMOD FAIL!!

Civics Quiz
You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %
Average score for this quiz during August: 75.6%

Sith Korriban
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sith Korriban » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:15 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:What's the big deal, anyway? Are openly gay service members more likely to rape people or something? I don't get it. What's so bad about it?

It's because some people just long for the good old days of the ancient times. Pillage, plunder, and village women. A gay soldier just won't take part, which makes him a poopyhead who doesn't like the same bonding activities as the rest. *nods sagely*
~Dark Lady of the Sith
"Sometimes you have to walk in darkness to bring the truth to light"
"So be angry about that! Hate! Rage! Despair! Allow yourself, just once, to stop playing the game of Jedi Knight, and admit what you have always known: you are alone, and you are great, and when the world strikes you it is better to strike back than turn your cheek." ―Dooku, to Yoda

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Xsyne wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:You can make the the argument that the FEDERAL government has no right to regulate marriages, but the states most definitely do have that right. If they want to define marriage as only between 1 man and exactly 3 donkeys, they have the right to do so.

There's this thing called the fourteenth amendment. You might want to look at it sometime.

There's the thing that marriage is not a Constitutionally guaranteed right, but a privilege regulated under state governments. By your logic, we should abolish marriage licenses and all laws relating to marriage because they constitute an infringement of rights.

My Political Compass:

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:15 pm

SaintB wrote:No its fucking not. Its totally relevant because its the same principle, respecting the rights of EVERYONE as outlined in the constitution. its only irrelevant because it proves jackasses like you wrong, and you can't accept that fact that you have no basis for your useless, counter intuitive, and totally unamerican claims.

lol The liberal just accused me of being un-American for not wanting gays to serve openly in the military? Wow...now they're trying to stake their claim on the patriotic ideal as well.

Your damn right I am a progressive and your damn right I have patriotic ideals. Liberty is the foremost American ideal and one I embrace wholeheartedly, I want to see everyone get equal treatment as is promised by the Constitution, I want to see the promise of our founders upheld that all citizens are equal and have equal rights and equal opportunities, I want to see our military strong, repealing DADT does BOTH.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Underium
Senator

Founded: Jun 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Underium » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:16 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

ok the theory is that soldiers will be distracted, which is ridiculous since i would get just as distracted by a girl! If not more distracted! but they are allowed to serve!!!!!!

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:
Xsyne wrote:

There's the thing that marriage is not a Constitutionally guaranteed right...

What do you base that claim on? Why isn't it - for example - one of the 'rights' not-specifically-enumerated?
I identify as
a problem

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Liuzzo wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Here's a fun fact: The Lawsuit was brought on by the Log Cabin Republicans; a Republican organization. :)

Thank you Sir. Can we get a ruling on ad homenim to quiet the crowd?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

"An ad hominem (Latin: "to the man"), also known as argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to link the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.[1] The ad hominem is a classic logical fallacy.[2] The ad hominem is not always fallacious, for in some instances questions of personal conduct, character, motives, etc., are legitimate and relevant to the issue."

Saying, "The Federal Courts are an authority because it's their job to interpret constitutional law" is NOT an ad hominem fallacy. Saying, "The Federal Courts are an authority because they wear robes and people who wear robes know what they are talking about" IS an ad hominem fallacy.

Neither are against the rules of the forum however.
Last edited by Lunatic Goofballs on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:
Xsyne wrote:

There's the thing that marriage is not a Constitutionally guaranteed right, but a privilege regulated under state governments. By your logic, we should abolish marriage licenses and all laws relating to marriage because they constitute an infringement of rights.

Ever heard of Loving v. Virginia?
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Kwewu
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kwewu » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:17 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Kwewu wrote:This is what i think will happen because of this. Soldier A develops feelings for Soldier B. Soldier B is wounded/killed while in combat as the rest of his squad is retreating. Soldier A goes back for Soldier B because of his feelings and gets killed as well. Soldier A could be carrying extra ammo, or the medical supplies. It's also another life lost. In my opinion, nothing good will come of this.

Of course, in your little thought experiment, Soldier B could have been the one with the ammo or medical supplies, that would have got left behind if Soldier A hadn't gone back for him.

I think you've watched too much Pirates of the Caribbean if you immediately assume that anyone that falls behind, is left behind. Regardless of whether or not they are lovers.

Soldier B could have the ammo or medical supplies, but if the area is under fire, you don't go back immediately for it. Soldier A might immediately go back for him, instead of waiting for the firefight to subside. Emotion clouds judgement.

On a side note: Not a huge fan of Pirates. Seen the first one once and thats it.

Liuzzo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Liuzzo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:17 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:
SaintB wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Peddieville wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Exilia and Colonies wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Then we can just change the law to ban gays completely.

Nothing could possibly go wrong when this is legally challenged. It's not as if theres a precedent just been made against this sort of thing.

Oh wait...

Point to where in the Constitution that it says that gays are entitled to military service.

Point to the part int he Constitution where you can chose your own spouse. Oh, wait, that isn't anywhere in the Constitution. Guess the government will be choosing spouses from now on.

Wrong. The Constitution doesn't give the federal government the right to do that (I know this may be hard for a liberal to believe, but the federal government is not supposed to have unlimited powers) and no state government would be stupid enough to enact such a law.

That's the exact argument we are making for homosexual rights and you are calling it wrong; the government has no right to say homosexuals are any less a human than anyone else. Pot meet kettle.

You can make the the argument that the FEDERAL government has no right to regulate marriages, but the states most definitely do have that right. If they want to define marriage as only between 1 man and exactly 3 donkeys, they have the right to do so.

This is off topic and I'm not going too get into it any further than to point you to the supremacy clause. Otherwise under your argument Georgia could bring back slavery and the federal government could do nothing about it. Because the states have the right to make that decision. Ok folks, I need to get my "liberal" (HAHA) ass to bed to go to work tomorrow. Be well and may the Goddess of Nymn bless you with her minions. Yes, sarcasm is just my method of dealing with incredible thickness.

Bydlostan (Ancient)
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bydlostan (Ancient) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:17 pm

SaintB wrote:equal rights and equal opportunities

Not in the military, you don't.

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Xsyne wrote:

There's the thing that marriage is not a Constitutionally guaranteed right...

What do you base that claim on? Why isn't it - for example - one of the 'rights' not-specifically-enumerated?

You have to limit the extent of the 14th Amendment somewhere; otherwise it can be used to protect any and all activities. I prefer to go no further than the text of the Constitution when it comes to looking at the 14th.

My Political Compass:

Daistallia 2104
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Daistallia 2104 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Fun indeed!
NSWiki|HP
Stupidity is like nuclear power; it can be used for good or evil, and you don't want to get any on you. - Scott Adams
Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness. - Terry Pratchett
Sometimes the smallest softest voice carries the grand biggest solutions
How our economy really works.
Obama is a conservative, not a liberal, and certainly not a socialist.

Gahaldu
Envoy

Founded: Dec 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gahaldu » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Bydlostan wrote:
SaintB wrote:equal rights and equal opportunities

Not in the military, you don't.

But why should something as simple as one's sexual orientation affect things?
Economic Left/Right: 0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.00

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 pm

Underium wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

ok the theory is that soldiers will be distracted, which is ridiculous since i would get just as distracted by a girl! If not more distracted! but they are allowed to serve!!!!!!

It's ridiculous anyway. Do we assume military personnel operate in a vacuum?

Once soldiers enter the army, are they never going to see members of the opposite sex (or same sex, if such is your preference)?

Are we saying American soldiers are SO poorly trained, that they'll instantly lose control if, for example, a woman (or man, for some, but I'm trying to keep to one topic - trying and failing, I think) can be seen somewhere in the area?

I don't think the no-gay-military theory was really thought through all that well.
I identify as
a problem

Underium
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Underium » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 pm

Kwewu wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Kwewu wrote:This is what i think will happen because of this. Soldier A develops feelings for Soldier B. Soldier B is wounded/killed while in combat as the rest of his squad is retreating. Soldier A goes back for Soldier B because of his feelings and gets killed as well. Soldier A could be carrying extra ammo, or the medical supplies. It's also another life lost. In my opinion, nothing good will come of this.

Of course, in your little thought experiment, Soldier B could have been the one with the ammo or medical supplies, that would have got left behind if Soldier A hadn't gone back for him.

Soldier B could have the ammo or medical supplies, but if the area is under fire, you don't go back immediately for it. Soldier A might immediately go back for him, instead of waiting for the firefight to subside. Emotion clouds judgement.

On a side note: Not a huge fan of Pirates. Seen the first one once and thats it.

same problem if you replaced soldier B with a girl soldier A was interested in!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General