NATION

PASSWORD

Military ban on gay service declared unconstitutional

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Satirius
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:55 pm

ofc if you aren't my kind of patriot you are a traitorous scumbag

also does anybody remember the tale of the Thebans?
ODECON | Pact of the Bros | Your Typical International Incidents Alliance
Satirius on WS, note this is for better RPers than you

Franberry - Sharfghotten - Rosbaningrad - Tyrandis - Jeuna
Unjustly Deleted by Unjust Tyranny, and I Don't Think I Need to Mention What I Mean by Tyranny

Greater Americania
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Americania » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Holy Paradise wrote:Oh, now you understand appeal-to-authority.

No. *sigh*. That's because what Congress decides is going to happen regardless. Admittedly, just because a judge deems a law unconstitutional doesn't mean that was a beneficial decision to society. But, in this case, the decision is beneficial! Why can't gays serve openly? Give some evidence that openly gay soldiers in the military hurt troop morale.

So now that I've shot down your "appeals to authority", you're running away from the whole "the federal judiciary is always right about the Constitution" thing? Exactly. You're just bolstering my point that this is nothing more than a left-wing aversion of the proper channels.
Federal Republic of Greater Americania: “Liberty, Soveriegnty, Freedom!”
Original Founder of the Nationalist Union
Member of the Santiago Anti-Communist Treaty Organization

Nationalist Republic, governed by the National Republican Party
Economic Left/Right: 2.0, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.21
President: Austin Farley
Vice President: John Raimark
Secretary of State: Jason Lee
Secretary of Defense: Shane Tomlinson
Secretary of Federal Security: Ross Ferrell
-Chief of Interior Security Forces: General James Calley
Secretary of Territorial Administration: Brandon Terry
-Governor of Tlozuk: Jarod Harris
-Governor of Comaack: John Fargo
*Territories are foreign nations which have been annexed by the Federal Republic

Potarius
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:56 pm

I thought you guys knew better than to feed the trolls.

Seriously.
Originally Potaria, from January 2005; add 17,601 posts.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Holy Paradise
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Paradise » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Greater Americania wrote:

No. *sigh*. That's because what Congress decides is going to happen regardless. Admittedly, just because a judge deems a law unconstitutional doesn't mean that was a beneficial decision to society. But, in this case, the decision is beneficial! Why can't gays serve openly? Give some evidence that openly gay soldiers in the military hurt troop morale.

So now that I've shot down your "appeals to authority", you're running away from the whole "the federal judiciary is always right about the Constitution" thing? Exactly. You're just bolstering my point that this is nothing more than a left-wing aversion of the proper channels.

No, the judiciary isn't necessarily right, but I believe in this case it is.

Also, please provide evidence that gays should not serve in the military as it hurts troop morale and unit cohesion.
Moderate conservative, Roman Catholic

yep

Liuzzo
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Liuzzo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Greater Americania wrote:Explain how you're not making an ad hominem argument by saying "the federal judiciary is always right".

...Because that's not what an ad hominem is?

"The federal judiciary says this is unconstitutional. The federal judiciary has the authority to legally interpret the Constitution, and therefore is right. You oppose the federal judiciary's ruling and therefore are wrong." Sounds like an ad hominem to me.

Og dear GOD!!!! Ok, here it goes. Saying, well this document/authority says this and that's why I think you are wrong is not ad hominem. It's not attacking your personally based not on your argument but on your personal characteristics. Now: WARNING THIS IS JUST FOR THE USE OF EXAMPLE OH MODLY ONES. Ignoring your argument and saying "Well, you're just a biggotted fuckwad" is ad homenim. Class dismissed.
Does that matter? Everyone becomes nice after they die. You never see people at funerals talking about how awful the dead person is, do you? -Meowfoundland

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Liuzzo wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Exilia and Colonies wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Then we can just change the law to ban gays completely.

Nothing could possibly go wrong when this is legally challenged. It's not as if theres a precedent just been made against this sort of thing.

Oh wait...

Point to where in the Constitution that it says that gays are entitled to military service.

Point to where it says they should be banned. Nice game. That's why we have courts for in that pesky constitution. Shit!

It doesn't have to. The federal government (specifically Congress) has the authority to raise armies; therefore it has the right to decide who shall be taken into the armies that it raises.
Cobhanglica's top officials
President: George Rockwell
Sec. of Foreign Relations: Martin Lansing
Sec. of Defense: General James Arnold
Sec. of Trade: Henry Ford Smith

My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.72

Underium
Senator

Founded: Jun 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Underium » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:58 pm

ok the main point is that it distracts soldiers right? well a girl soldier would distract me to! they both distract! does that mean women should not be allowed to serve if they are openly women?

Chateau Chevalier
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 15, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chateau Chevalier » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Potarius wrote:I think Mr. Cooper meant "archaic", not "arcane".

Then again, maybe the statute is fortified with magics both powerful and terrible?

All wizard's are gay : Dumbledore.

This was the first successful court challenge. There have been about a dozen challenges dating back to the '90s. The Pentagon is still not 'out' on whether they will maintain the policy. Even though Obama has stated he is against the "don't ask don't tell" policy, the Feds will appeal this decision.

Liuzzo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Liuzzo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Greater Americania wrote:You liberals usually don't resort to known logical fallacies to this extreme. It's getting really bad in this thread. We'll see what you're saying when you finally lose control of the Supreme Court overtime.

No, you've made a terrible legal argument and then you tried to defend it by claiming you were being attacked personally. When it was shown you were not you resorted to this. Why don't you report it to a mod and see if you were attacked in the way you claim. I'd love to see your reaction when they tell you you're wrong too. Stop lumping everyone in as liberals just because they don't agree with you. I'm not a liberal. I'm a Marine who served his country proudly. I' a conservative learning libertarian who is still registered as a Republican. But you would rather just make assumptions instead of debating the issue. When defeated in debate you resorted to claiming to be attacked. By the way the current court is leaning on the conservative side. Maybe you should put a little more thought and reason into your arguments rather than claiming everyone is liberal and attacking you. That's just my opinion because I've a registered voter.
Does that matter? Everyone becomes nice after they die. You never see people at funerals talking about how awful the dead person is, do you? -Meowfoundland

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Greater Americania wrote:Explain how you're not making an ad hominem argument by saying "the federal judiciary is always right".

"The federal judiciary says this is unconstitutional. The federal judiciary has the authority to legally interpret the Constitution, and therefore is right. You oppose the federal judiciary's ruling and therefore are wrong." Sounds like an ad hominem to me.

Do you have any concept what the words "ad hominem" mean?
Your sentence makes about as much sense as "Explain to me why it isn't a baseball game when I cut my peanut butter sandwich in half."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Underium
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Underium » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:
Geniasis wrote:

Do you have any concept what the words "ad hominem" mean?
Your sentence makes about as much sense as "Explain to me why it isn't a baseball game when I cut my peanut butter sandwich in half."

ok first of a ad hominem last time i checked means a personal attack like this, "the dum judge ruled it was unconstitutional"

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:04 pm

What's the big deal, anyway? Are openly gay service members more likely to rape people or something? I don't get it. What's so bad about it?
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Gahaldu
Envoy

Founded: Dec 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gahaldu » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:04 pm

SaintB wrote:No its fucking not. Its totally relevant because its the same principle, respecting the rights of EVERYONE as outlined in the constitution. its only irrelevant because it proves jackasses like you wrong, and you can't accept that fact that you have no basis for your useless, counter intuitive, and totally unamerican claims.

lol The liberal just accused me of being un-American for not wanting gays to serve openly in the military? Wow...now they're trying to stake their claim on the patriotic ideal as well.

So, liberals are all unpatriotic and it is patriotic to want to prevent people to serve in the military based on their sexual orientation? I'm not seeing your argument.
Economic Left/Right: 0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.00

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Here's a fun fact: The Lawsuit was brought on by the Log Cabin Republicans; a Republican organization. :)
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Kwewu
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kwewu » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:04 pm

This is what i think will happen because of this. Soldier A develops feelings for Soldier B. Soldier B is wounded/killed while in combat as the rest of his squad is retreating. Soldier A goes back for Soldier B because of his feelings and gets killed as well. Soldier A could be carrying extra ammo, or the medical supplies. It's also another life lost. In my opinion, nothing good will come of this.
Last edited by Kwewu on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liuzzo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Liuzzo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Holy Paradise wrote:Saying that something's right because an authority said so is an appeal to authority. However, in this case, it's justified.

I guess that makes the Iraq War justified then. After all, Congress has the authority to decide when we should go to war. They decided in favor and by your appeal-to-authority logic, that makes anyone who opposes the war wrong.

Horrible sidestep. When did congress declare war again? Please, point me to when congress voted to declare war. OFFICIALLY declare war.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Kwewu wrote:This is what i think will happen because of this. Soldier A develops feelings for Soldier B. Soldier B is wounded/killed while in combat as the rest of his squad is retreating. Soldier A goes back for Soldier B because of his feelings and gets killed as well. Soldier A could be carrying extra ammo, or the medical supplies. In my opinion, nothing good will come of this.

U.S. servicemen never leave behind fallen comrades. If such a thing were done, the Commander would be demoted at the very least.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Gahaldu
Envoy

Founded: Dec 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gahaldu » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Kwewu wrote:This is what i think will happen because of this. Soldier A develops feelings for Soldier B. Soldier B is wounded/killed while in combat as the rest of his squad is retreating. Soldier A goes back for Soldier B because of his feelings and gets killed as well. Soldier A could be carrying extra ammo, or the medical supplies. It's also another life lost. In my opinion, nothing good will come of this.

Couldn't the same apply to simple friends?
Economic Left/Right: 0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.00

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Geniasis wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:No, it says if they kiss a man or even mention that they're gay, then they are to be thrown out.

How the hell am I supposed to focus on my target when they keep telling highly erotic and arousing tales of their homosexual exploits?

I can't not link the Onion after that comment.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Exilia and Colonies
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Exilia and Colonies » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Kwewu wrote:This is what i think will happen because of this. Soldier A develops feelings for Soldier B. Soldier B is wounded/killed while in combat as the rest of his squad is retreating. Soldier A goes back for Soldier B because of his feelings and gets killed as well. Soldier A could be carrying extra ammo, or the medical supplies. It's also another life lost. In my opinion, nothing good will come of this.

That already happens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_ ... %281993%29
VEGAN IS SYMBOLIC OPPRESSION! STOP THE MURDER OF PLANTS! GO SUNLIGHT DIET!

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Of course, in your little thought experiment, Soldier B could have been the one with the ammo or medical supplies, that would have got left behind if Soldier A hadn't gone back for him.

I think you've watched too much Pirates of the Caribbean if you immediately assume that anyone that falls behind, is left behind. Regardless of whether or not they are lovers.
I identify as
a problem

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:08 pm

I never thought I'd see this happen within this decade. This is truly amazing and awesome. I remember just under a year ago talking with someone about the eventuality of gays being allowed to serve openly in the military, perhaps within the next 20 years, and they told me "don't hold your breath". Also some DADT proponents were saying "all you have to do is keep your sexual orientation to yourself, and you won't be discharged", but what about people who were openly gay before going to join? The policy was simply ridiculous. Screw the "gays are soft" stereotype. If they were "soft" or had any qualms about serving. they wouldn't apply. There is no reason a homosexual person wouldn't be able to perform the same duties as a straight service member. Your sexual orientation doesn't determine whether or not you can fight, it doesn't determine whether or not you can fire a rifle, secure a structure, break through a berm, lead warriors, or be a warrior. I also think soldiers of today are bright enough to know that homosexual soldiers are just like any other soldier, and there is no need to feel "uncomfortable" around them. This is not sleepaway camp or some other bullshit. These are profesional warriors, who act as professionals and have been doing so for many years. Letting homosexuals serve openly is not going to change that, just look at the British Armed Forces. I highly applaud this ruling. :clap: :clap:
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:
Peddieville wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:

Nothing could possibly go wrong when this is legally challenged. It's not as if theres a precedent just been made against this sort of thing.

Oh wait...

Point to where in the Constitution that it says that gays are entitled to military service.

Point to the part int he Constitution where you can chose your own spouse. Oh, wait, that isn't anywhere in the Constitution. Guess the government will be choosing spouses from now on.

Wrong. The Constitution doesn't give the federal government the right to do that (I know this may be hard for a liberal to believe, but the federal government is not supposed to have unlimited powers) and no state government would be stupid enough to enact such a law.

That's the exact argument we are making for homosexual rights and you are calling it wrong; the government has no right to say homosexuals are any less a human than anyone else. Pot meet kettle.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:09 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:Of course, in your little thought experiment, Soldier B could have been the one with the ammo or medical supplies, that would have got left behind if Soldier A hadn't gone back for him.

I think you've watched too much Pirates of the Caribbean if you immediately assume that anyone that falls behind, is left behind. Regardless of whether or not they are lovers.

I am an American Soldier.
I am a Warrior and a member of a team.
I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.
I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy, the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
I am an American Soldier.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Liuzzo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Liuzzo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:09 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:
Liuzzo wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:

Oh wait...

Point to where it says they should be banned. Nice game. That's why we have courts for in that pesky constitution. Shit!

It doesn't have to. The federal government (specifically Congress) has the authority to raise armies; therefore it has the right to decide who shall be taken into the armies that it raises.

The USSC is not part of the federal government? Thanks for the lesson.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General