NATION

PASSWORD

Military ban on gay service declared unconstitutional

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:More autocratic government by the courts under the premise of "constitutionality"; despite the fact that such decisions basically amount to the Court rewriting the Constitution to suit its views. There is absolutely nothing in the Constitution that could possibly be construed as giving gays an unalienable right to serve openly in the military.

Never heard of the 14th Amendment, have you.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Zephie
Senator

Founded: Oct 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:22 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Xsyne wrote:Given that the remark was made in context of ways to avoid being drafted, I'm pretty sure it was in reference to women not having to sign up for the draft. Just call it a hunch.

Well he was speaking in present tense, and the draft was abolished by Nixon, so. . . .

The SSS isn't abolished, it still exists.
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.
Senestrum wrote:I just can't think of anything to say that wouldn't get me warned on this net-nanny forum.

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Holy Paradise wrote:
Cobhanglica wrote:More autocratic government by the courts under the premise of "constitutionality"; despite the fact that such decisions basically amount to the Court rewriting the Constitution to suit its views. There is absolutely nothing in the Constitution that could possibly be construed as giving gays an unalienable right to serve openly in the military.

I fail to see how this entire thing is a problem. Nowhere in the Bible does it say homosexuals can't serve in the armed forces, so the Religious Right has no real argument. Some homosexuals that were "outted" and discharged from the service were darn good soldiers (see greed and death's) post. This ruling isn't forcing gays to out themselves to join the military. We need more recruits. What is a drawback to this ruling? I can honestly not think of one.

How about the fact that there is nothing in the Constitution to actually justify it? Or the numerous arguments from actual members of the military that the presence of open homosexuals has the potential to disrupt unit cohesion and degrade the overall effectiveness of our forces.
Cobhanglica's top officials
President: George Rockwell
Sec. of Foreign Relations: Martin Lansing
Sec. of Defense: General James Arnold
Sec. of Trade: Henry Ford Smith

My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.72

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Bydlostan wrote:What? Nobody wants to hear that shit.

Or did you detect a double entendre?

Most soldiers I know spend about 25%-50% of their conversation talking about their sex life--probably fictionalizing a good deal of it. We do like to talk about our sex lives, so I guess we are all these "nobodies" you speak of.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Peddieville
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Peddieville » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Zephie wrote:
Peddieville wrote:
Zephie wrote:
SaintB wrote:
Zephie wrote:This is horrible. Now one of the few loopholes for dodging a potential draft is closed.

You could always get a sex change, the Government doesn't consider women competent enough for combat yet.

Eh, just because there's a bunch of feminazis running around, doesn't mean the rest of the women should be punished. I believe it's the responsibility of men to protect the women and children.

And why can't women protect men?

If you're a woman and want to be drafted, be my guest.

But why should I, as a man, have to put my life on the line, but if I were a woman, I need not? It seems like discrimination to me, although it's all kind of moot since a draft is politically unfeasible.
Last edited by Peddieville on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have nothing to say

Holy Paradise
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Paradise » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:24 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Bydlostan wrote:What? Nobody wants to hear that shit.

Or did you detect a double entendre?

Most soldiers I know spend about 25%-50% of their conversation talking about their sex life--probably fictionalizing a good deal of it. We do like to talk about our sex lives, so I guess we are all these "nobodies" you speak of.

Indeed. What the hell would one expect from a bunch of 18 to 20 somethings?
Moderate conservative, Roman Catholic

yep

Liuzzo
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Liuzzo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Greater Americania wrote:I'm getting damn tired of these overactive courts using far more authority than they should have acquired. The very concept of judicial review should be reevaluated Constitutionally and edited so that Courts will not have the authority to make decisions like this. The Courts are becoming as though a legislature of their own. All they have to do is scream "unconstitutional" and they can enforce whatever they please.

Umm, have you read the document? You would almost think that the Constitution set up the judicial branch as an equal 3rd party is a system of checks and balances on the legislative and the executive. I mean GOD!!!!!!! There job is to get ob their knees and suck the cock of the other branches and say "thank you sir may I have another." If your job is to wash shit off the sidewalk that's what you do. Their job is to interpret law. Yeah, fuck them for doing their job. :rofl:
Does that matter? Everyone becomes nice after they die. You never see people at funerals talking about how awful the dead person is, do you? -Meowfoundland

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:How about the fact that there is nothing in the Constitution to actually justify it? Or the numerous arguments from actual members of the military that the presence of open homosexuals has the potential to disrupt unit cohesion and degrade the overall effectiveness of our forces.

They don't explain how it does, and considering it hasn't affected our allies militaries--all of which allow gays to be open and serve with U.S. troops in combat--makes me inclined to think that such servicemen are just homophobes.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Holy Paradise wrote:Indeed. What the hell would one expect from a bunch of 18 to 20 somethings?

Celibacy is cool!
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:25 pm

First amendment, 14th amendment, and if you give me time to do some homework I could prolly come up with a few more. Have you even studied the thing?
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Greater Americania
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Americania » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:DADT is punishing people for free expression - it's contrary to the 1st Amendment. That's even ignoring questions about which other Constitutional articles are infringed.

It's hardly activism.

Your rights to free expression are limited when you join the military. For example, you can't stage a protest when ordered by your commanding officer to fall in. In the same way, you can't present yourself as a homosexual if your military branch orders you not to. The Constitution is such an ambiguous document, but what is sure is that 'gay rights' wasn't on the minds of the people who wrote the First Amendment in the late 18th century.
Federal Republic of Greater Americania: “Liberty, Soveriegnty, Freedom!”
Original Founder of the Nationalist Union
Member of the Santiago Anti-Communist Treaty Organization

Nationalist Republic, governed by the National Republican Party
Economic Left/Right: 2.0, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.21
President: Austin Farley
Vice President: John Raimark
Secretary of State: Jason Lee
Secretary of Defense: Shane Tomlinson
Secretary of Federal Security: Ross Ferrell
-Chief of Interior Security Forces: General James Calley
Secretary of Territorial Administration: Brandon Terry
-Governor of Tlozuk: Jarod Harris
-Governor of Comaack: John Fargo
*Territories are foreign nations which have been annexed by the Federal Republic

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Holy Paradise wrote:Indeed. What the hell would one expect from a bunch of 18 to 20 somethings?

Next thing he'll be asking is that NSG'ers stop talking about their sex lives.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Potarius
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Peddieville wrote:but if I were a women

Would that mean you'd have two or more vaginae?
Originally Potaria, from January 2005; add 17,601 posts.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Exilia and Colonies
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Exilia and Colonies » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:Or the numerous arguments from actual members of the military that the presence of open homosexuals has the potential to disrupt unit cohesion and degrade the overall effectiveness of our forces.

I'm sure you'll be able to cite cases of this occuring in the many militaries which do support open gay service then. Don't worry, I'll wait.
VEGAN IS SYMBOLIC OPPRESSION! STOP THE MURDER OF PLANTS! GO SUNLIGHT DIET!

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Greater Americania wrote:Your rights to free expression are limited when you join the military. For example, you can't stage a protest when ordered by your commanding officer to fall in. In the same way, you can't present yourself as a homosexual if your military branch orders you not to. The Constitution is such an ambiguous document, but what is sure is that 'gay rights' wasn't on the minds of the people who wrote the First Amendment in the late 18th century.

And neither were black rights. What's your point?

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Greater Americania wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Greater Americania wrote:I'm getting damn tired of these overactive courts using far more authority than they should have acquired.

You're opposed to the courts ensuring that the law matches what is constitutionally allowed?

I'm getting tired of Courts pretending that what they want to see become a reality is the only Constitutional way to go.

Did you even read the article? I realise you'd have had to click on a link, and then actually read and consider something, but it's a small sacrifice, really.

DADT is punishing people for free expression - it's contrary to the 1st Amendment. That's even ignoring questions about which other Constitutional articles are infringed.

It's hardly activism.

Then we can just change the law to ban gays completely.

My Political Compass:

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Didn't someone poll actual members of the military and find that a vast majority of them were opposed to DADT?
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Peddieville
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Peddieville » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Potarius wrote:
Peddieville wrote:but if I were a women

Would that mean you'd have two or more vaginae?

And two heads to go with them.
I have nothing to say

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:Then we can just change the law to ban gays completely.

That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

Greater Americania
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Americania » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Greater Americania wrote:Your rights to free expression are limited when you join the military. For example, you can't stage a protest when ordered by your commanding officer to fall in. In the same way, you can't present yourself as a homosexual if your military branch orders you not to. The Constitution is such an ambiguous document, but what is sure is that 'gay rights' wasn't on the minds of the people who wrote the First Amendment in the late 18th century.

And neither were black rights. What's your point?

"Don't Ask Don't Tell" is constitutional.

*Territories are foreign nations which have been annexed by the Federal Republic

Holy Paradise
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Paradise » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Greater Americania wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Greater Americania wrote:I'm getting damn tired of these overactive courts using far more authority than they should have acquired.

You're opposed to the courts ensuring that the law matches what is constitutionally allowed?

I'm getting tired of Courts pretending that what they want to see become a reality is the only Constitutional way to go.

Did you even read the article? I realise you'd have had to click on a link, and then actually read and consider something, but it's a small sacrifice, really.

DADT is punishing people for free expression - it's contrary to the 1st Amendment. That's even ignoring questions about which other Constitutional articles are infringed.

It's hardly activism.

:rofl:
Moderate conservative, Roman Catholic

yep

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:28 pm

Geniasis wrote:

That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

DADT was a compromise to avoid this. Since they don't like the compromise, we might as well just go back to locking out gays entirely.

My Political Compass:

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:28 pm

Greater Americania wrote:"Don't Ask Don't Tell" is constitutional.

You're not legally empowered to make that decision.

Greater Americania
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Americania » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:28 pm

*Offers a handshake*

Exilia and Colonies
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Exilia and Colonies » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:28 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:

Nothing could possibly go wrong when this is legally challenged. It's not as if theres a precedent just been made against this sort of thing.

Oh wait...
VEGAN IS SYMBOLIC OPPRESSION! STOP THE MURDER OF PLANTS! GO SUNLIGHT DIET!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General