NATION

PASSWORD

Military ban on gay service declared unconstitutional

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Zephie wrote:This is horrible. Now one of the few loopholes for dodging a potential draft is closed.

You could always get a sex change, the Government doesn't consider women competent enough for combat yet.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Bydlostan (Ancient)
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bydlostan (Ancient) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Bydlostan wrote:I don't see anything wrong with DADT, people should keep their sex lives to themselves.

The issue is that if someone is found to be gay, DADT requires their discharge.

In practice, this rarely happened as it was generally up to thee local commander to enforce it. Too many soldiers decided they'd rather be gay then get deployed and cheat the system only to get deployed. serve their contracts and then, maybe get a general discharge.

I do think discharge is too harsh and bad policy, a better policy is that soldiers should just be discouraged or reprimanded if they don't keep tight-lipped about their sex life, just as they are about sexual harassment or racist views. It doesn't help you in any workplace.

Hassett
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 11, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Hassett » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:10 pm

I think this is a step in the right direction.
Black and Yellow
Economic Left/Right: 8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
-Former United States
-Hassett: A History through Flags

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:10 pm

Bydlostan wrote:
Geniasis wrote:
Bydlostan wrote:I don't see anything wrong with DADT, people should keep their sex lives to themselves.

In practice, this rarely happened as it was generally up to thee local commander to enforce it. Too many soldiers decided they'd rather be gay then get deployed and cheat the system only to get deployed. serve their contracts and then, maybe get a general discharge.

I do think discharge is too harsh and bad policy, a better policy is that soldiers should just be discouraged or reprimanded if they don't keep tight-lipped about their sex life, just as they are about sexual harassment or racist views. It doesn't help you in any workplace.

DADT discharge was a medical and honorable.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

New Genoa
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Genoa » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Greater Americania wrote:I'm getting damn tired of these overactive courts using far more authority than they should have acquired. The very concept of judicial review should be reevaluated Constitutionally and edited so that Courts will not have the authority to make decisions like this. The Courts are becoming as though a legislature of their own. All they have to do is scream "unconstitutional" and they can enforce whatever they please.

Marbury v. Madison...
Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

For death and glory? For Rohan.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Greater Americania wrote:I'm getting damn tired of these overactive courts using far more authority than they should have acquired.

You're opposed to the courts ensuring that the law matches what is constitutionally allowed?
I identify as
a problem

Bydlostan (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bydlostan (Ancient) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:12 pm

greed and death wrote:
Bydlostan wrote:
Geniasis wrote:

DADT discharge was a medical and honorable.

I think it was still a bar to re-enlistment, though.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:13 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Greater Americania wrote:I'm getting damn tired of these overactive courts using far more authority than they should have acquired.

You're opposed to the courts ensuring that the law matches what is constitutionally allowed?

Yeah, because its treating gays like REAL people.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:14 pm

SaintB wrote:You could always get a sex change, the Government doesn't consider women competent enough for combat yet.

That's incorrect. Women in the military are trained for, and have fought and killed with distinction, overseas, they just can't be in infantry units because of the rape problems (99% male plus 1% female plus a whole lotta stress plus guys that enjoy killing equals problems). Female medics even once attached to infantry units had so many fucking scandals connected as a result that now even that isn't allowed.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Zephie
Senator

Founded: Oct 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:14 pm

SaintB wrote:
Zephie wrote:This is horrible. Now one of the few loopholes for dodging a potential draft is closed.

You could always get a sex change, the Government doesn't consider women competent enough for combat yet.

Eh, just because there's a bunch of feminazis running around, doesn't mean the rest of the women should be punished. I believe it's the responsibility of men to protect the women and children.
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.
Senestrum wrote:I just can't think of anything to say that wouldn't get me warned on this net-nanny forum.

Qwcasd
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Qwcasd » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:14 pm

Finally. 'bout time.
Last edited by Qwcasd on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zephie
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:15 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
SaintB wrote:You could always get a sex change, the Government doesn't consider women competent enough for combat yet.

That's incorrect. Women in the military are trained for, and have fought and killed with distinction, overseas, they just can't be in infantry units because of the rape problems (99% male plus 1% female plus a whole lotta stress plus guys that enjoy killing equals problems). Female medics even once attached to infantry units had so many fucking scandals connected as a result that now even that isn't allowed.

He's referring to women not having to sign up for the draft.
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.
Senestrum wrote:I just can't think of anything to say that wouldn't get me warned on this net-nanny forum.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:15 pm

Bydlostan wrote:soldiers should just be discouraged or reprimanded if they don't keep tight-lipped about their sex life

:rofl:
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:16 pm

Zephie wrote:He's referring to women not having to sign up for the draft.

Nah, I don't think he is. I think he's talking about infantry being closed to females.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Potarius
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Bydlostan wrote:soldiers should just be discouraged or reprimanded if they don't keep tight-lipped about their sex life

Being tight-lipped isn't always the best way to go.

Looseness is good, too, especially on the outside.
Originally Potaria, from January 2005; add 17,601 posts.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Cobhanglica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cobhanglica » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 pm

More autocratic government by the courts under the premise of "constitutionality"; despite the fact that such decisions basically amount to the Court rewriting the Constitution to suit its views. There is absolutely nothing in the Constitution that could possibly be construed as giving gays an unalienable right to serve openly in the military.
Cobhanglica's top officials
President: George Rockwell
Sec. of Foreign Relations: Martin Lansing
Sec. of Defense: General James Arnold
Sec. of Trade: Henry Ford Smith

My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.72

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:18 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Zephie wrote:He's referring to women not having to sign up for the draft.

Nah, I don't think he is. I think he's talking about infantry being closed to females.

Given that the remark was made in context of ways to avoid being drafted, I'm pretty sure it was in reference to women not having to sign up for the draft. Just call it a hunch.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Peddieville
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Peddieville » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Zephie wrote:
SaintB wrote:

Eh, just because there's a bunch of feminazis running around, doesn't mean the rest of the women should be punished. I believe it's the responsibility of men to protect the women and children.

And why can't women protect men?
I have nothing to say

Greater Americania
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Americania » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:

I'm getting tired of Courts pretending that what they want to see become a reality is the only Constitutional way to go.
Federal Republic of Greater Americania: “Liberty, Soveriegnty, Freedom!”
Original Founder of the Nationalist Union
Member of the Santiago Anti-Communist Treaty Organization

Nationalist Republic, governed by the National Republican Party
Economic Left/Right: 2.0, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.21
President: Austin Farley
Vice President: John Raimark
Secretary of State: Jason Lee
Secretary of Defense: Shane Tomlinson
Secretary of Federal Security: Ross Ferrell
-Chief of Interior Security Forces: General James Calley
Secretary of Territorial Administration: Brandon Terry
-Governor of Tlozuk: Jarod Harris
-Governor of Comaack: John Fargo
*Territories are foreign nations which have been annexed by the Federal Republic

Holy Paradise
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Paradise » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:More autocratic government by the courts under the premise of "constitutionality"; despite the fact that such decisions basically amount to the Court rewriting the Constitution to suit its views. There is absolutely nothing in the Constitution that could possibly be construed as giving gays an unalienable right to serve openly in the military.

I fail to see how this entire thing is a problem. Nowhere in the Bible does it say homosexuals can't serve in the armed forces, so the Religious Right has no real argument. Some homosexuals that were "outted" and discharged from the service were darn good soldiers (see greed and death's) post. This ruling isn't forcing gays to out themselves to join the military. We need more recruits. What is a drawback to this ruling? I can honestly not think of one.
Moderate conservative, Roman Catholic

yep

Bydlostan (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bydlostan (Ancient) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:20 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

What? Nobody wants to hear that shit.

Or did you detect a double entendre?

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:20 pm

Xsyne wrote:Given that the remark was made in context of ways to avoid being drafted, I'm pretty sure it was in reference to women not having to sign up for the draft. Just call it a hunch.

Well he was speaking in present tense, and the draft was abolished by Nixon, so. . . .
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Zephie
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:21 pm

Peddieville wrote:
Zephie wrote:
SaintB wrote:

And why can't women protect men?

If you're a woman and want to be drafted, be my guest.

Peddieville
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Peddieville » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Cobhanglica wrote:More autocratic government by the courts under the premise of "constitutionality"; despite the fact that such decisions basically amount to the Court rewriting the Constitution to suit its views. There is absolutely nothing in the Constitution that could possibly be construed as giving gays an unalienable right to serve openly in the military.

First off, the courts were designed to act as a check on the legislative branch through judicial review. This issue was settled over 200 years ago(see above post about Marbury v. Madison). Secondly, the First Amendment completely protects freedom of speech and expression in (nearly) all circumstances. Openly saying you are gay counts as expressing yourself. The government cannot discriminate based on this expression.
I have nothing to say

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Greater Americania wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

I'm getting tired of Courts pretending that what they want to see become a reality is the only Constitutional way to go.

Did you even read the article? I realise you'd have had to click on a link, and then actually read and consider something, but it's a small sacrifice, really.

DADT is punishing people for free expression - it's contrary to the 1st Amendment. That's even ignoring questions about which other Constitutional articles are infringed.

It's hardly activism.
I identify as
a problem

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General