NATION

PASSWORD

Military ban on gay service declared unconstitutional

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Military ban on gay service declared unconstitutional

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:47 pm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... onal-.html

Wow, This good news.
So what thinks NSG.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greater Americania
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Americania » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:50 pm

I'm getting damn tired of these overactive courts using far more authority than they should have acquired. The very concept of judicial review should be reevaluated Constitutionally and edited so that Courts will not have the authority to make decisions like this. The Courts are becoming as though a legislature of their own. All they have to do is scream "unconstitutional" and they can enforce whatever they please.
Last edited by Greater Americania on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Federal Republic of Greater Americania: “Liberty, Soveriegnty, Freedom!”
Original Founder of the Nationalist Union
Member of the Santiago Anti-Communist Treaty Organization

Nationalist Republic, governed by the National Republican Party
Economic Left/Right: 2.0, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.21
President: Austin Farley
Vice President: John Raimark
Secretary of State: Jason Lee
Secretary of Defense: Shane Tomlinson
Secretary of Federal Security: Ross Ferrell
-Chief of Interior Security Forces: General James Calley
Secretary of Territorial Administration: Brandon Terry
-Governor of Tlozuk: Jarod Harris
-Governor of Comaack: John Fargo
*Territories are foreign nations which have been annexed by the Federal Republic

Potarius
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:52 pm

I think Mr. Cooper meant "archaic", not "arcane".

Then again, maybe the statute is fortified with magics both powerful and terrible?
Originally Potaria, from January 2005; add 17,601 posts.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:54 pm

Greater Americania wrote:I'm getting damn tired of these overactive courts using far more authority than they should have acquired. The very concept of judicial review should be reevaluated Constitutionally and edited so that Courts will not have the authority to make decisions like this. The Courts are becoming as though a legislature of their own. All they have to do is scream "unconstitutional" and they can enforce whatever they please.

I don't see what the problem is. This decision is both a victory of idealism and pragmatism.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Bydlostan (Ancient)
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bydlostan (Ancient) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Potarius wrote:I think Mr. Cooper meant "archaic", not "arcane".

Then again, maybe the statute is fortified with magics both powerful and terrible?

:lol2:

That policy came from Clinton, its not that old or obsolescent, he must have meant arcane.

I don't see anything wrong with DADT, people should keep their sex lives to themselves.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Greater Americania wrote:I'm getting damn tired of these overactive courts using far more authority than they should have acquired. The very concept of judicial review should be reevaluated Constitutionally and edited so that Courts will not have the authority to make decisions like this. The Courts are becoming as though a legislature of their own. All they have to do is scream "unconstitutional" and they can enforce whatever they please.

I don't see what the problem is. This decision is both a victory of idealism and pragmatism.

But we can't let teh gays corrupt our system!
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Bydlostan wrote:I don't see anything wrong with DADT, people should keep their sex lives to themselves.

If that's what the policy was about, it wouldn't be a problem. The issue is that if someone is found to be gay, DADT requires their discharge.

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Hornopolis
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornopolis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Finally, I hope this gets rid of 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' for good.
4/11/11

Greater Americania
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Americania » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Geniasis wrote:

I firmly disagree. Anyways, this sort of decision should never pass through the judicial branch. The role of the Courts should be less involved in politics. It's getting to the point where you liberals are abusing the system by simply avoiding the legislature, where you'ld never be able to pass your legislation, and simply heading the Courts where you can forge some sort or arbitrary declaration of unconstitutionality for whatever policy you're opposing. This needs to be put to a stop.
Federal Republic of Greater Americania: “Liberty, Soveriegnty, Freedom!”
Original Founder of the Nationalist Union
Member of the Santiago Anti-Communist Treaty Organization

Nationalist Republic, governed by the National Republican Party
Economic Left/Right: 2.0, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.21
President: Austin Farley
Vice President: John Raimark
Secretary of State: Jason Lee
Secretary of Defense: Shane Tomlinson
Secretary of Federal Security: Ross Ferrell
-Chief of Interior Security Forces: General James Calley
Secretary of Territorial Administration: Brandon Terry
-Governor of Tlozuk: Jarod Harris
-Governor of Comaack: John Fargo
*Territories are foreign nations which have been annexed by the Federal Republic

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:58 pm

Greater Americania wrote:I firmly disagree.

Well, tough shit.

Anyways, this sort of decision should never pass through the judicial branch. The role of the Courts should be less involved in politics. It's getting to the point where you liberals are abusing the system by simply avoiding the legislature, where you'ld never be able to pass your legislation, and simply heading the Courts where you can forge some sort or arbitrary declaration of unconstitutionality for whatever policy you're opposing. This needs to be put to a stop.

It's only OK when the conservatives do it, right. My bad.

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:59 pm

Bydlostan wrote:
Potarius wrote:I think Mr. Cooper meant "archaic", not "arcane".

:lol2:

That policy came from Clinton, its not that old or obsolescent, he must have meant arcane.

I don't see anything wrong with DADT, people should keep their sex lives to themselves.

The physical policy itself may not be that old, but it's similar to many precedents that have appeared through the ages.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Greater Americania wrote:I firmly disagree. Anyways, this sort of decision should never pass through the judicial branch. The role of the Courts should be less involved in politics. It's getting to the point where you liberals are abusing the system by simply avoiding the legislature, where you'ld never be able to pass your legislation, and simply heading the Courts where you can forge some sort or arbitrary declaration of unconstitutionality for whatever policy you're opposing. This needs to be put to a stop.

Why are you against this? What bad thing can exactly happen concerning this? The UK military didn't blow-up when they allowed gays to serve openly.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Lame Geese
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lame Geese » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Its about time I wonder what will come of this.
A puppet while Cqvjesse is banned.

Illithar
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Illithar » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:01 pm

I for one am very glad of this and say it's about damn time. A person's sexual preferences has no bearing on their love for their country or their ability to fight.
Mentsch tracht, Gott lacht. "Man plans, God laughs"
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
FactBook of Illithar

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:02 pm

Greater Americania wrote:
Geniasis wrote:

I firmly disagree. Anyways, this sort of decision should never pass through the judicial branch. The role of the Courts should be less involved in politics. It's getting to the point where you liberals are abusing the system by simply avoiding the legislature, where you'ld never be able to pass your legislation, and simply heading the Courts where you can forge some sort or arbitrary declaration of unconstitutionality for whatever policy you're opposing. This needs to be put to a stop.

A violation of the right to freedom of expression is unconstitutional. Aside from that, this bullshit about using religion to treat gays like sub-human is unconstitutional, oh and uhhh... its also a violation of equal protection under the law... oh wow it looks like the Constitution is on our side. Like is usually is...
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:03 pm

Illithar wrote:I for one am very glad of this and say it's about damn time. A person's sexual preferences has no bearing on their love for their country or their ability to fight.

It's even better, because we all know that gays have the unbeatable power to shoot powerful, death-dealing liquid from their penises.

That's how the North Vietnamese really won.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:04 pm

SaintB wrote:A violation of the right to freedom of expression is unconstitutional. Aside from that, this bullshit about using religion to treat gays like sub-human is unconstitutional, oh and uhhh... its also a violation of equal protection under the law... oh wow it looks like the Constitution is on our side. Like is usually is...

The Constitution is obviously un-American.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Illithar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Illithar » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Potarius wrote:
Illithar wrote:I for one am very glad of this and say it's about damn time. A person's sexual preferences has no bearing on their love for their country or their ability to fight.

It's even better, because we all know that gays have the unbeatable power to shoot powerful, death-dealing liquid from their penises.

I've always thought we should put gays in charge of making our uniforms. They'll know when the camo clashes with the background. :p
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
FactBook of Illithar

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:05 pm

But it effects the ability to fight of those who are afraid they'll catch teh gay. I personally think anyone who can't support equality for everyone has no business in the military.

Holy Paradise
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Paradise » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:05 pm

A person's sexual orientation has no bearing upon their ability to serve our country. There is no legal, moral, or pragmatic reason for preventing an openly gay person from being a soldier. Considering that the armed forces are always clamoring for more recruits, while this will not completely solve that issue, it will nonetheless alleviate that problem.
Moderate conservative, Roman Catholic

yep

Potarius
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Potarius » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Illithar wrote:
Potarius wrote:

I've always thought we should put gays in charge of making our uniforms. They'll know when the camo clashes with the background. :p

And they'll give our troops the most tasteful combination of shoes and pants possible.

The Obi-Wan of sex.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:05 pm

One of my soldiers was kicked out under don't ask don't tell.
He was a former eagle scout, and was one of the most technically competent soldiers on my sift.
the policy hurts readiness and security and may have cost lives on the front by removing better qualified soldiers form service.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:06 pm

SaintB wrote:A violation of the right to freedom of expression is unconstitutional. Aside from that, this bullshit about using religion to treat gays like sub-human is unconstitutional, oh and uhhh... its also a violation of equal protection under the law... oh wow it looks like the Constitution is on our side. Like is usually is...

Exactly. Not only does repealing this prove to be a victory for the ideals of the country, the ban served only to arbitrarily limit our manpower. So repealing it is a pragmatic move as well as a morally sound one.

The two don't often overlap so neatly, I think it's foolish not to jump at the opportunity when they do.

Zephie
Senator

Founded: Oct 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:07 pm

This is horrible. Now one of the few loopholes for dodging a potential draft is closed.
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.
Senestrum wrote:I just can't think of anything to say that wouldn't get me warned on this net-nanny forum.

Illithar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Illithar » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:07 pm

greed and death wrote:One of my soldiers was kicked out under don't ask don't tell.
He was a former eagle scout, and was one of the most technically competent soldiers on my sift.

This is exactly why DADT needed to be gotten rid off. It only weakened us.
FactBook of Illithar

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General