NATION

PASSWORD

World Government for Earth

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Like it

Yes
18%
No
61%
Needs work
21%

Total votes : 150

South Lorenya
Senator

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: World Government for Earth

Postby South Lorenya » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:51 pm

Kormanthor wrote:Scripture says it will happen

But since the scripture is false, doesn't that prove it WON'T happen?
-- King DragonAtma of the Dragon Kingdom of South Lorenya.

Nagas on a plane! ^_^

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:56 pm

Kormanthor wrote:As you said, you can only hope .... I KNOW.

Do you? Or do you only think that you know? Its not as if you would know the difference. ;)

Well, we're all entitled to our beliefs. But its still a horrible idea to base global political policy on End Times prophecy (a big problem in America these days).
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

North-Point
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby North-Point » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:02 pm

This is the most retarded thread I've ever read; quite obviously, you're some naive kid who's never actually read any proper history. Try formulating your arguments based on facts and not just your bullshit emotionally-driven optimistic view of how a real world government would work.

If you want an example of how awesome a World Government would work, take a gander at the United Nations and their record of utter, abysmal failure and absolute ineffectiveness.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:03 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Kormanthor wrote:As you said, you can only hope .... I KNOW.

Do you? Or do you only think that you know? Its not as if you would know the difference. ;)

Well, we're all entitled to our beliefs. But its still a horrible idea to base global political policy on End Times prophecy (a big problem in America these days).

Oh Moddess... Epistemology.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:11 pm

North-Point wrote:This is the most retarded thread I've ever read;

You clearly haven't read many threads, then. Sad to say, their is much greater stupidity out there.

quite obviously, you're some naive kid who's never actually read any proper history. Try formulating your arguments based on facts and not just your bullshit emotionally-driven optimistic view of how a real world government would work.

I'm not sure why I'm replying to this, since I don't think it was addressed to me, but you might try posting a more thoughtful or persuasive argument than a cheap Ad hominem and a suggestion to read more.

If you want an example of how awesome a World Government would work, take a gander at the United Nations and their record of utter, abysmal failure and absolute ineffectiveness.

One example. That was never an actual world government in the first place, and has in fact had some success in certain areas (if not in International Peacekeeping).

One could just as well point to, say, a failed non-profit organization on the national level, and conclude that all attempts at government are doomed to failiure.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

North-Point
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby North-Point » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:26 pm

It was addressed to the thread author, not to you.

Entire books have been written about the failures of the UN; I find it boring to argue with you here, so I'll ask you to type in "UN fails to" in Google and read some of the results.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:37 pm

North-Point wrote:It was addressed to the thread author, not to you.

Entire books have been written about the failures of the UN; I find it boring to argue with you here, so I'll ask you to type in "UN fails to" in Google and read some of the results.

Oh, I'm aware that the UN has failed at many things (but not, I think, at everything). However, it is but a single example that is not and as far as I know was never intended to be a genuine World Government. You cannot dismiss the possibility of a successful world government simply by citing the UN as precedent, a point that you clearly failed to fully address.

Holy Paradise
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Paradise » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:56 pm

As has been already stated, an effective, active world government is impractical and foolish. War, misery, and poverty would not end, as people fight over cultural differences and material goods, not just because so and so's nation has a different name. In fact, I could only see more problems arising, as bands of militias try to topple the world government, causing the world government to become paranoid and oppressive.
Moderate conservative, Roman Catholic

yep

North-Point
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby North-Point » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:13 pm

The United States has STATE and LOCAL governments for a reason. What works in Nevada may not work in New York City.

Having one single legislative body that rules the entire world is a bad idea on so many levels.

Go read 1984 or something, because that's the ONLY way a world government controlled by bureaucrats, bankers and politicians would turn out!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General