NATION

PASSWORD

Microbe Tragedy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:30 am

Natapoc wrote:It's really not at all. You are misunderstanding basic biological processes either deliberately or unintentionally. Either way I have no time for such games or to prove each of your fallacious points incorrect.

Except that he is correct and you're wrong.

You are the one that said plants have no neurons and so they feel no sensations, though they do.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:31 am

Zephie wrote:I cause a bacterial holocaust every time I wash my hands. :lol2:

Only if you use soap. If you use fresh water, the bacteria live or die quite naturally.

You aren't obliged to provide them with warmth or nutrients, just because they were born and raised on your hands. By washing your hands, you are parting ways from them, as is your right. If they happen to die because they had become dependent on you (without your consent) then that's their tough luck.
AKA & RIP BunnySaurus Bugsii, Lucky Bicycle Works, Mean Feat, Godforsaken Warmachine, Class Warhair, Pandarchy

I'm sure I was excited when I won and bummed when I lost, but none of that stuck. Cause I was a kid, and I was alternately stoked and bummed at pretty much any given time. -Cannot think of a name
Brown people are only scary to those whose only contribution to humanity is their white skin.Big Jim P
I am a Christian. Christianity is my Morality's base OS.DASHES
... when the Light on the Hill dims, there are Greener pastures.Ardchoille

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:31 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Natapoc wrote:It's really not at all. You are misunderstanding basic biological processes either deliberately or unintentionally. Either way I have no time for such games or to prove each of your fallacious points incorrect.

You are the one that said plants have no neurons and so they feel no sensations, though they do.

No, plants do not "feel" by any reasonable definition.
Did you see a ghost?

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:33 am

Natapoc wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:

They just react to something. Sure. ;)
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:38 am

Natapoc wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:

I agree. By my definition of "feeling" they do not.

That they react to stimulus is not enough to say they "feel". And the argument I have heard for "rights for microbes" is based on their response to stimulus.
AKA & RIP BunnySaurus Bugsii, Lucky Bicycle Works, Mean Feat, Godforsaken Warmachine, Class Warhair, Pandarchy

I'm sure I was excited when I won and bummed when I lost, but none of that stuck. Cause I was a kid, and I was alternately stoked and bummed at pretty much any given time. -Cannot think of a name
Brown people are only scary to those whose only contribution to humanity is their white skin.Big Jim P

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:39 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:

Hilariously, although plants don't have neurons, they do in fact use electric signal transmission (A very slow form, needing minutes per metre instead of a hundredth of a second per metre), but they use it. They're closer to neuronal communication than one may think.

Just don't need high-speed animal type networking, what with the 'No walking' part. So they can afford being a little slower on the uptake.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:41 am

Nazis in Space wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:

Hilariously, although plants don't have neurons, they do in fact use electric signal transmission (A very slow form, needing minutes per metre instead of a hundredth of a second per metre), but they use it. They're closer to neuronal communication than one may think.

Just don't need high-speed animal type networking, what with the 'No walking' part. So they can afford being a little slower on the uptake.

For a space nazi, you are quite the hippie ^^

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:43 am

Nobel Hobos wrote:I agree. By my definition of "feeling" they do not.

That they react to stimulus is not enough to say they "feel". And the argument I have heard for "rights for microbes" is based on their response to stimulus.
So, your definition of 'Feeling' is essentially 'Only if you've neurons', regardless of whether the end result is exactly the same or not?

It's sort of like saying that one only 'Feels' if you've a fully developed human brain, and having a, say, reptilian brain does, sadly, not qualify you as a sentient organism. Sure, you're reacting to stimuli, but my dear crocodile, you just don't have the brain needed to truly experience pain like I do, therefore you're not sentient.

I call speciism and hypocrisy on this.
Last edited by Nazis in Space on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:45 am

Esternial wrote:For a space nazi, you are quite the hippie ^^
Once we lost WW2 and fled to the back side of the moon, certain parts of the ideology received a major revamping. I'm a strong believer in darwinism, and keeping the ideology as it was after it very clearly failed really wouldn't have been bright at all.

Zephie
Senator

Founded: Oct 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:45 am

Nazis in Space wrote:

So, your definition of 'Feeling' is essentially 'Only if you've neurons', regardless of whether the end result is exactly the same or not?

It's sort of like saying that one only 'Feels' if you've a fully developed human brain, and having a, say, reptilian brain does, sadly, not qualify you as a sentient organism. Sure, you're reacting to stimuli, but my dear crocodile, you just don't have the brain needed to truly experience pain like I do, therefore you're not sentient.

If you convince the vegans plants have feelings and feel pain, they will end up starving themselves.
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.
Senestrum wrote:I just can't think of anything to say that wouldn't get me warned on this net-nanny forum.

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:48 am

Zephie wrote:If you convince the vegans plants have feelings and feel pain, they will end up starving themselves.
It really shouldn't be me who has to convince them. Biology journals will do just fine. Everything I've written in this thread is, after all, merely me serving as the mouthpiece for actual biologists who did the actual research I've merely read (In the printing press, no less).

But, of course, expecting ideologists to read actual science may be a little much...

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:53 am

Nazis in Space wrote:
Zephie wrote:If you convince the vegans plants have feelings and feel pain, they will end up starving themselves.
It really shouldn't be me who has to convince them. Biology journals will do just fine. Everything I've written in this thread is, after all, merely me serving as the mouthpiece for actual biologists who did the actual research I've merely read (In the printing press, no less).

But, of course, expecting ideologists to read actual science may be a little much...

You mean flat earther style pseudoscience? Yeah... sure. I'm preparing a topic to discredit this nonsense. Basic science education is so lacking it's sad. "No child left behind?" Yeah right!
Did you see a ghost?

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:53 am

Nazis in Space wrote:

No. Whatever made you think I said that?

Perhaps it was how I said to Natapoc "I agree". Perhaps you think that you can hold me to whatever you think Natapoc said in some other post than the one I replied to with "I agree".

Well, you can't. And you'll look silly if you try.

On this? On what? The strawman you just built?

Call hypocrisy and speciesism on it all you like. Wear a silly hat and dance the can-can as well if it keeps you entertained.

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:00 am

Natapoc wrote:
Nazis in Space wrote:

You mean flat earther style pseudoscience? Yeah... sure. I'm preparing a topic to discredit this nonsense. Basic science education is so lacking it's sad. "No child left behind?" Yeah right!
Knock yerself out.

Yeah, it's wiki. Ignore the article, I'm largely using it as a neat way to link the references in question all in one go.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:02 am

So, chopping down a tree = killing a deer?

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:03 am

Esternial wrote:So, chopping down a tree = killing a deer?
Well, in both cases you kill a living, feeling being (Actually, quite a lot of them, but lets simplify) for personal gain.

The story of life itself, tbh.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:05 am

Nazis in Space wrote:
Well, in both cases you kill a living, feeling being (Actually, quite a lot of them, but lets simplify) for personal gain.

Still, trees can 'regenerate' from their stump...animals cannot. Lose an arm, gone forever.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:08 am

You can survive on just fruit.
Its an extremely limited diet but I think its possible.

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:10 am

Esternial wrote:
Nazis in Space wrote:

Still, trees can 'regenerate' from their stump...animals cannot. Lose an arm, gone forever.
Okay. You're at least severely injuring a living, feeling being.

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:19 am

Nazis in Space wrote:Yeah, it's wiki. Ignore the article, I'm largely using it as a neat way to link the references in question all in one go.

Or to put it another way, your scientific sources are whatever was given as a source in wikipedia.

Yeah, that's so much more authoritative than just linking to wikipedia. :roll:

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:30 am

Nazis in Space wrote:
Esternial wrote:
Nazis in Space wrote:

Okay. You're at least severely injuring a living, feeling being.

"Living being" encompasses animals, plants AND bacteria. I think we agree on that.

I'd like to know your definition of "feeling" though.

It's also important to note that a regrown branch of tree serves every purpose which the amputated limb of the tree served before. Cultivated varities (eg, fruit trees) actually prosper from pruning (they are healthier when pruned). But animals are different. As Esternial said, lose an arm and it is gone forever. Limbs have more specific functions and are part of a form which is important to the life of an animal, but are not to the life of a plant.

Yes, plants have "limbs" with specific function. You can argue that removing their fruit "harms" a plant ... but that would be to fly in the face of biology. Plainly, the removal of fruit (and subsequent dispersal of seed) favours the genes of that plant. And in an evolutionary sense, favours that plant.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:31 am

Nobel Hobos wrote:
Nazis in Space wrote:Yeah, it's wiki. Ignore the article, I'm largely using it as a neat way to link the references in question all in one go.

Or to put it another way, your scientific sources are whatever was given as a source in wikipedia.

To make matters worse his source does not really support his viewpoint. He misunderstands what his source is actually saying. Also: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=68784
Did you see a ghost?

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:37 am

EDIT: all previous replaced:

Natapoc wrote:
Nobel Hobos wrote:

To make matters worse his source does not really support his viewpoint. He misunderstands what his source is actually saying. Also: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=68784

I'm aware of that thread.

NiS is entitled to bring up your opinions from previous threads. I think it's rather petty to continue a previous argument in a new context (which like I said, was parody right from the OP) but NiS can do that.

But if Nazis in Space tries to argue against all vegans on the basis that they are all answerable to the opinion of one vegan, then NiS will be facing enfilading fire.

They're going down! In a hail of turnips!
Last edited by Nobel Hobos on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:38 am

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Fruits don't offer all the vitamins you need to survive. (I think)

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:46 am

Esternial wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Fruits don't offer all the vitamins you need to survive. (I think)

Not much protein. But if you include seeds (grains) then you can live on the discards of plants quite easily.

Is a seed alive? I'm not sure. I'm not a biologist.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General