NATION

PASSWORD

A Pound of Flesh? Two? All of it? (Drunk/drink Drivers)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Current Standards of Punishment for Drunk/Drink Driving are....

Much too Severe
6%
Too Severe
9%
Appropriate
23%
Not Severe Enough
45%
Not Nearly Severe Enough (LWOP or death would be justified)
17%

Total votes : 47

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: A Pound of Flesh? Two? All of it? (Drunk/drink Drivers)

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:55 am

Jordaxia wrote:I find it interesting that you take this stance. It seems unlike you. I always figured you for someone who would rabidly opposte the death penalty under any circumstances. *shrug* you learn something new.

I was thinking this. It sounds like something I'd be saying.
Original join date March 25th 2008, bitches!
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.12

Rolling squid
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:57 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:It's speedy and public. The police are impartial. It's deifintely in the state and sitrict where the crime was committed. They will be informed of the anture and cause. They will be confronted with the witness (who is holding the gun). They shall have access to any other witnesses (hence, the second car). The ONLY thing you could argue that isn't being provided is Counsel. My personal sugegstion for fixing that problem is to let them call a pre-arranged number, that ONLY handles this kind of case. As soon as the Counsel hears the circumstances, they will offer the best advice they can in such circumstances - 'pray'.

The police cannot be considered an impartial jury of peers. If they are, then why not just throw out the entire justice system, and have everything decided at the moment of arrest, regardless of the morality or constitutionality of the situation?
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:59 am

Rolling squid wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:It's speedy and public. The police are impartial. It's deifintely in the state and sitrict where the crime was committed. They will be informed of the anture and cause. They will be confronted with the witness (who is holding the gun). They shall have access to any other witnesses (hence, the second car). The ONLY thing you could argue that isn't being provided is Counsel. My personal sugegstion for fixing that problem is to let them call a pre-arranged number, that ONLY handles this kind of case. As soon as the Counsel hears the circumstances, they will offer the best advice they can in such circumstances - 'pray'.

The police cannot be considered an impartial jury of peers. If they are, then why not just throw out the entire justice system, and have everything decided at the moment of arrest, regardless of the morality or constitutionality of the situation?

Behold, the law of the future:

A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:00 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Is this based on anything other than emotion? Shouldn't you, as a scientist, strive to eliminate emotions in your life and strive to be entirely logical and rational constantly?

This isn't based on emotion.

The problem of drunk-driving is a clear and present danger, are there are no effective ways to combat it. Well, there is one...
I identify as
a problem

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:03 pm

Too harsh. Extreme punishments and death penalties have been shown not to deter crimes.
Instead we should focus on rehabilitating the drunk drivers.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Rolling squid
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:03 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Rolling squid wrote:You have yet to justify how murder is the solution to drunk driving.

I assume, by 'murder', you mean the execution of drunk-drivers?

An appeal to emotion, I think. But, I'll let it pass.

It is the 'solution' because of basic math. If you take all of the drunk-drivers, and you subtract one, and you continue to subtrat one, and subtrat one, and subtract one - drunk-drivers will tend towards zero.

By murder I mean:

At base, murder consists of an intentional unlawful act with a design to kill and fatal consequences

Which is what the police shooting people at the roadside is. And you have yet to provide any data that proves that the death penalty is an effective deterrent. So your argument has no moral base, no legal base, and no logical base.
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:05 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Is this based on anything other than emotion? Shouldn't you, as a scientist, strive to eliminate emotions in your life and strive to be entirely logical and rational constantly?

This isn't based on emotion.

The problem of drunk-driving is a clear and present danger, are there are no effective ways to combat it. Well, there is one...

When you start saying shit like "The police are impartial," a statement so wrong that only the severely deluded could ever believe them, I see that your claim of being rational is bullshit. You aren't acting with the same rigor as a scientist would. A scientist should act like one at all times.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:10 pm

Copiosa Scotia wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:If an officer is being fired on, there is 'due process' that enables him to return lethal force. You seem to think 'due process' means no one can get hurt.

It doesn't, and it's malleable.

Missing the point. An officer can respond with lethal force against a gun-wielding maniac because he is an immediate deadly threat. That's only the case as long as he remains armed, or for practical purposes, as long as the officer believes that the maniac remains armed.

This is why your analogy doesn't hold up. When an officer summarily executes a drunk driver, it's not like shooting an armed maniac. It's like shooting a maniac who's already been disarmed. The latter doesn't pose a threat that justifies lethal force in response.

No, the analogy holds up perfectly. You don't think the cops should shoot the now-disarmed-lunatic. I have no such qualms.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:10 pm

Pepe Dominguez wrote:It also assumes that any value that that person may have had, or any potential they may have, is completely nullified by one action, done under the influence. While drunk drivers deserve punishment - sometimes very severe punishment - I don't think it's in our interest to be exterminating undesirables, especially where criminological data tells us it isn't necessary and is needlessly destructive.

Drunk drivers have no value.
I identify as
a problem

Rolling squid
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:12 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Copiosa Scotia wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:If an officer is being fired on, there is 'due process' that enables him to return lethal force. You seem to think 'due process' means no one can get hurt.

Missing the point. An officer can respond with lethal force against a gun-wielding maniac because he is an immediate deadly threat. That's only the case as long as he remains armed, or for practical purposes, as long as the officer believes that the maniac remains armed.

This is why your analogy doesn't hold up. When an officer summarily executes a drunk driver, it's not like shooting an armed maniac. It's like shooting a maniac who's already been disarmed. The latter doesn't pose a threat that justifies lethal force in response.

No, the analogy holds up perfectly. You don't think the cops should shoot the now-disarmed-lunatic. I have no such qualms.

And the majority of people think that giving cops the power to summarily execute people who pose no threat is a bad idea.

They're humans. Furthermore, one mistake does not provide justification for death.
Last edited by Rolling squid on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:13 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Pepe Dominguez wrote:It also assumes that any value that that person may have had, or any potential they may have, is completely nullified by one action, done under the influence. While drunk drivers deserve punishment - sometimes very severe punishment - I don't think it's in our interest to be exterminating undesirables, especially where criminological data tells us it isn't necessary and is needlessly destructive.

This, of course, depends upon the entirely subjective word "value," but how can you make this statement? What if somebody like Leonard Susskind was caught drunk driving, would all of his scientific contributions cease to exist? This type of statement shows that you are thinking with emotion. You are not being rational. You are not acting as a proper scientist should.
Last edited by UnhealthyTruthseeker on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:15 pm

Jordaxia wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
I didn't say 'deterrent'. I said that they don't reoffend if their brains are on the highway.

I find it interesting that you take this stance. It seems unlike you. I always figured you for someone who would rabidly opposte the death penalty under any circumstances. *shrug* you learn something new.

Whilst I don't agree with the methodology you suggest (but, seeing the futility of the legal system, do not regard it as much better) I certainly understand your dissatisfaction at the... lightness drunk driving is treated with.

People often assume that because i am pro-gay-rights, pro-equality, pro-reproductive rights, etc... that I must be against the death penalty. They see it as a conflict that I could support execution - but it's really not - I am in favour of a death penalty for the same reason I am FOR gay marriage, or abortion rights - I believe in a just society, where people do not fear the actions of others.
I identify as
a problem

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:16 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Jordaxia wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
I didn't say 'deterrent'. I said that they don't reoffend if their brains are on the highway.

I find it interesting that you take this stance. It seems unlike you. I always figured you for someone who would rabidly opposte the death penalty under any circumstances. *shrug* you learn something new.

Whilst I don't agree with the methodology you suggest (but, seeing the futility of the legal system, do not regard it as much better) I certainly understand your dissatisfaction at the... lightness drunk driving is treated with.

People often assume that because i am pro-gay-rights, pro-equality, pro-reproductive rights, etc... that I must be against the death penalty. They see it as a conflict that I could support execution - but it's really not - I am in favour of a death penalty for the same reason I am FOR gay marriage, or abortion rights - I believe in a just society, where people do not fear the actions of others.

Justice is an unscientific idea. Your lack of scientific thinking is showing.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:16 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Produce evidence that the death penalty actually functions as a deterrent or your argument is shit.

Who is this addressed to?

If you cannot demonstrate that killing drunks would be a benefit to society overall, then your idea should be rejected. One of these conditions should be that it actually lowers the amount of drunk driving. Of course, this is not the only condition, but it is necessary.

If you execute all the drunk-drivers, the amount of drunk-driving is lowered, no?

How could this NOT be a benefit?
I identify as
a problem

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:16 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:Drunk drivers have no value.

I totally agree.

Pepe Dominguez
Envoy

Founded: Oct 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Pepe Dominguez » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:18 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:

All people have some value. In some cases it's a value less than the harm they do to society, which is where prison and, in extremes, the death penalty comes in. But how can you say that one action on one occasion is indicative of the sum total of their worth or potential? The basic fact of our bounded rationality guarantees that no one can judge that with perfect accuracy, but if anyone is to judge, it ought to be, well, a *judge*, don't you think? If nothing else, the DUI-killer who isn't summarily executed might live to pay some compensation to the victims or their families while they're incapacitated through imprisonment.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:18 pm

Rolling squid wrote:

Because not all situations are this clear cut.

In case of rape, for example - a girl cries rape, and you catch two people in the act of sexual congress. There is a possibility that the sex is consensual and the 'rape' claim is PART of it, no?

In the case of drunk driving - if the person is drunk, and they are driving - that's it. That's all she wrote.
I identify as
a problem

Copiosa Scotia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Copiosa Scotia » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:18 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Copiosa Scotia wrote:

That's fine, so long as you don't actually expect your analogy to convince anyone of anything. (Which seems to me to be the entire purpose of analogical reasoning, but I could be wrong.) The police aren't allowed to do what you're suggesting they should, and I think most would agree that they shouldn't.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:18 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:If you execute all the drunk-drivers, the amount of drunk-driving is lowered, no?

You need to factor in all the economic costs, the costs of the loss of labor, the costs to go through with this plan, potential sociological costs etc. There is always a trade-off. You can't brush this aside.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:18 pm

If you execute all the drunk-drivers, the amount of drunk-driving is lowered, no?

Because its morally wrong... :( .

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:19 pm

greed and death wrote:Too harsh. Extreme punishments and death penalties have been shown not to deter crimes.
Instead we should focus on rehabilitating the drunk drivers.

You'd have to prove they CAN be rehabilitated.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:21 pm

Rolling squid wrote:And the majority of people think that giving cops the power to summarily execute people who pose no threat is a bad idea.

Not just anybody. Within certain circumstances.

And, well, it wouldn't be the first time the majority has been wrong.

Rolling squid wrote:They're humans. Furthermore, one mistake does not provide justification for death.

Drunk-driving is not a mistake. You choose to drink, you choose to drive - that's choice.
I identify as
a problem

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:21 pm

Everyone has value..they have a life..so there life has a value.

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:22 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:Everyone has value..they have a life..so there life has a value.

Not all lives are valuable.

Concurria
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Concurria » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:24 pm

No Names Left Damn It wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:Everyone has value..they have a life..so there life has a value.

Not all lives are valuable.

This is a falsehood.
" I stopped being Pro-choice the day my baby turned 2. At the party, he turned to me, opened his mouth, and unleashed a stream of mucus and snot that I didn't know a baby was capable of. I was gonna murder the little bugger until I realized instantly that his youth didn't justify my anger. That's when I said that regardless of my perceived incapability as a mother, I am capable, 'cuz I do know better. "

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General