NATION

PASSWORD

A Pound of Flesh? Two? All of it? (Drunk/drink Drivers)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Current Standards of Punishment for Drunk/Drink Driving are....

Much too Severe
6%
Too Severe
9%
Appropriate
23%
Not Severe Enough
45%
Not Nearly Severe Enough (LWOP or death would be justified)
17%

Total votes : 47

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: A Pound of Flesh? Two? All of it? (Drunk/drink Drivers)

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:31 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Really? Can you prove that all lives have value?

Well, if you take the path integral over all topologically trivial paths for an electron in an infinite potential well, you get an answer that has nothing to do with the value of human life. :p

In all seriousness, you can argue that humans have worth in terms of both economic value and in terms of the energy used to overcome entropy that went into the construction of their bodies.

And in terms of what their raw materials will fetch.

I dont believe you were beign asked 'if it can be argued' - I think you were being asked to 'prove' something.

But the value of raw materials really just is about the energy to overcome entropy. There is energy needed to produce higher elements than hydrogen, and there is energy needed in the construction of hadrons and leptons, though the later isn't necessarily of lower entropy than the background universe that existed at the time of their creation, because there doesn't seem to be any reason for generation 1 leptons to be unstable, and they are easily and readily created at high temperatures. But, of course, electrons don't have any value, they are ubiquitous and essentially free.
Last edited by UnhealthyTruthseeker on Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:56 am

The core problem is that cars receive a special legal "discount" in terms of manslaughter etc. If you accidentally kill someone with a vehicle, you receive a slap on the wrist.

There was a recent case that went through here in NC where a driver recklessly hit and killed a man on a scooter and drove off. He was, of course, speeding and driving recklessly, and leaving the scene of an accident, etc. He was handed the maximum possible sentence - which was only two years. Also in the news: An accidental shooting during a botched robbery of a movie theater, life sentence for the shooting alone.

If I accidentally kill somebody in the course of breaking the law, and I happen to be using a gun, I can go to jail for a very long time. If I'm using a car, however, I'll be out before you know it. The core problem of drunken driving is not any failure to crack down on drunk drivers; it's a failure to respect the fact that an automobile is a deadly weapon.

Heck, the automobile as property is respected more. People are regularly handed longer sentences for stealing cars than for killing people with cars. That's not justice, and drunk driving is only the tip of the iceberg.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:13 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:You want me to defend something you stitched from whole cloth?

I don't know who you think you are fooling. Not me. I hope not you.

You're making a claim that you're claiming is mine. When asked to defend it, you presented three of my posts, none of which says what you're claiming.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Rolling squid wrote:People who were arrested and ordered to undergo some sort of program. The study was conducted in 2008, using 25,345 people with DUI convictions.

So - in fact, it's safe to assume that most people that drive drunk do it over and over again - until they get caught.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:16 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:But the value of raw materials really just is about the energy to overcome entropy.

No, it isn't.

If people were made of 50% gold, they'd be worth a lot more than they are. Not because of relative order or entropy, but because the materials are right there.
I identify as
a problem

Rolling squid
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:09 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Rolling squid wrote:People who were arrested and ordered to undergo some sort of program. The study was conducted in 2008, using 25,345 people with DUI convictions.

So - in fact, it's safe to assume that most people that drive drunk do it over and over again - until they get caught.

Source?

And again, you still fail to address how you can justify killing someone who didn't kill or injure anyone else.
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Rolling squid wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

Source?

And again, you still fail to address how you can justify killing someone who didn't kill or injure anyone else.

Okay - it was your claim that drunk-drivers don't re-offend.

When called on that, the evidence you provided ONLY accounts for a tiny minority, that have been caught and enrolled in some program. What about all the rest? It was your claim - I don't HAVE to source your claims for you.
I identify as
a problem

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:36 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:But the value of raw materials really just is about the energy to overcome entropy.

No, it isn't.

If people were made of 50% gold, they'd be worth a lot more than they are. Not because of relative order or entropy, but because the materials are right there.

Gold is made of exactly the same three particles as oxygen, so why is oxygen the third most common element in the universe and gold so rare? I think you should already know this, but it has to do with the fact that only elements up to iron can be made in ordinary fusion reactions. It has everything to do with energy. It is about energy. How is this not sinking in? Gold is more rare because it's creation is not energetically favorable in all but the most extreme conditions. It's rarity is directly due to the difficulty of its nucleosynthesis.
Last edited by UnhealthyTruthseeker on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:You want me to defend something you stitched from whole cloth?

I don't know who you think you are fooling. Not me. I hope not you.

You're making a claim that you're claiming is mine. When asked to defend it, you presented three of my posts, none of which says what you're claiming.

Fine.

So you agree that there are thresholds of alcohol consumption such that some drinking followed by driving is not necessarily wrong and should not be responded to by execution?

In other words, I can have a cocktail with dinner and drive home without being a drunk driver and subject to your draconian penalties.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Rolling squid
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:52 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:

When called on that, the evidence you provided ONLY accounts for a tiny minority, that have been caught and enrolled in some program. What about all the rest? It was your claim - I don't HAVE to source your claims for you.

Show me proof that only a tiny minority have been caught.

Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:19 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Rolling squid wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:So - in fact, it's safe to assume that most people that drive drunk do it over and over again - until they get caught.

Source?

Interesting point, but doesn't that argument rest on the premise that only a tiny minority of drunk drivers cause any injury and/or are caught?
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:42 pm

How about hiring professional drivers, getting them drunk, then play real life "Frogger" with the convicted drunk driver? Do it on a close circuit of course, and broadcast it on pay-per-view.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

United Russian State
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:51 pm

Big Jim P wrote:How about hiring professional drivers, getting them drunk, then play real life "Frogger" with the convicted drunk driver? Do it on a close circuit of course, and broadcast it on pay-per-view.

Best idea here! :bow:
Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
State of War: Chernobyl-Pripyat
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information
Join Pan-Slavic Union State!
My long term plan is to contribute to globally warming as much as possible so my grandchildren can live in a world that is a few degrees warmer and where there is new coast land being created every day.- The Scandinvans

The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions-Omnicracy

NO ONE is poor and suffering in the US- they're pretending that while rollicking in welfare money-Pythria

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:53 pm

United Russian State wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:How about hiring professional drivers, getting them drunk, then play real life "Frogger" with the convicted drunk driver? Do it on a close circuit of course, and broadcast it on pay-per-view.

Best idea here! :bow:

I have my moments. 8)
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General