NATION

PASSWORD

How to catch a queen Ant?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Kreigan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

How to catch a queen Ant?

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:54 am

Im trying to catch a queen ant for my ant farm Ive made. I ffound a ants nest but I cant seem to find the queen no matter how far I dig and its near a tree so one of the roots is down below in the nest and I had to give up digging after a while and the next morning the little buggers had already began covering up where Ive been digging. so does anyone know how to lure the queen ant out of the nest?
Kreigan Imperial Armed Forces Official Weapons supplier: Schwerpunkt

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:55 am

Use a king ant?
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:55 am

Make the ants migrate.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:56 am

Kreigan wrote:Im trying to catch a queen ant for my ant farm Ive made. I ffound a ants nest but I cant seem to find the queen no matter how far I dig and its near a tree so one of the roots is down below in the nest and I had to give up digging after a while and the next morning the little buggers had already began covering up where Ive been digging. so does anyone know how to lure the queen ant out of the nest?

Queen ants don't really move, and I know with certain species, once they've begun egg production, they literally can't anymore. Gotta find her and grab her.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:56 am

Kreigan wrote:Im trying to catch a queen ant for my ant farm Ive made. I ffound a ants nest but I cant seem to find the queen no matter how far I dig and its near a tree so one of the roots is down below in the nest and I had to give up digging after a while and the next morning the little buggers had already began covering up where Ive been digging. so does anyone know how to lure the queen ant out of the nest?

You could try holding a gay pride parade that runs right past the nest, I suppose. Or you could google "ant farm."
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

La Habana
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby La Habana » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:57 am

Ants have a breeding season, where all the queens from all the nests sprout wings and fly off to make a new nest......a perfect opportunity to catch one.
The Original CyberPunk Dystopia of NationStates.
Proteus of F7, God of Foresight and Transformation.
LA HABANA FACTBOOK
Council Member of The Vladivostok Alliance.
New Sociopia wrote:Really camp Jesus flailing his wrists wildly and saying 'Like, ohmygod! Get out of the temple bitches! You aren't nearly fabulous enough!'
La Habana wrote:
Kalasparata wrote:I own most of Antarctica!

Like hell you do.

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:58 am

Farnhamia wrote:

You could try holding a gay pride parade that runs right past the nest, I suppose. Or you could google "ant farm."

Ive looked up how to find one but they all say to find her under a rock and crap or find one who is done mating like Im able to ask her "Hey have you had relations wiht a drone yet?"

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 am

La Habana wrote:

Ants have a breeding season, where all the queens from all the nests sprout wings and fly off to make a new nest......a perfect opportunity to catch one.

what season would that be I think the type of Ant is a Lasius Niger, their black and are bigger than the small ants you find on the side walk who are swarmed around old food.

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 am

Strykla wrote:Make the ants migrate.

How?

Montanaa
Diplomat

Founded: May 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Montanaa » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:00 pm

Just dig the entire colony up, and put it in a pail. You could grab the queen after sifting through and take a few dozen workers too.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:00 pm

Kreigan wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:

Ive looked up how to find one but they all say to find her under a rock and crap or find one who is done mating like Im able to ask her "Hey have you had relations wiht a drone yet?"

You should try having a conversation with a worker ant. Booooooring. Well, if the sources say, "Dig 'em up," I guess that's what you're stuck having to do. Or adopt a puppy or a kitten. Mammals are lot more gratifying as pets than insects.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

La Habana
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby La Habana » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:01 pm

The Original CyberPunk Dystopia of NationStates.
Proteus of F7, God of Foresight and Transformation.
LA HABANA FACTBOOK
Council Member of The Vladivostok Alliance.
New Sociopia wrote:Really camp Jesus flailing his wrists wildly and saying 'Like, ohmygod! Get out of the temple bitches! You aren't nearly fabulous enough!'
La Habana wrote:
Kalasparata wrote:I own most of Antarctica!

Like hell you do.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:01 pm

There are 3 ways, if I am not wrong...
a) Dig out that ant colony, and hope you find the queen. Try finding one of the main "highways" of the colony, or the largest, most used hole. Then go straight down from there
b) Find another colony that is maybe based under a rock or pile of wood, somewhere shallow. The queen may be easier to find then.
c) Wait to spring and look for large ants with wings. Some of them will be young queens, and others male drones. The drones are useless to you (and they will die soon anyways), you want the young queens, but you want them after they shed their wings. This is when they start their own colony, so if you could catch them before they dig down into their first (main) hole, you have yourself a new queen.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:02 pm

La Habana wrote:

Not exactly true... its when all newly born queens take flight. They already have wings when they come out of their cocoons. Once they are impregnated and land, they lose their wings. The issue is also the male ants are flying around at that time... and its difficult to tell which ones are male and female without experience.

Selaguere
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Selaguere » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:02 pm

1. Step 1

Locate an ant colony outside and watch for the mating flights when drones and young queens come out of the colony. You can identify drones and young queens by the fact that they have wings.

2. Step 2

Look for those winged ants that return to the ground and shed their wings after the mating flight. These are the young queens. The drones die after the mating flight.

3. Step 3

Catch one of the young queens after she sheds her wings and place her in your habitat. After adding the queen to the colony, it might be a couple of weeks before you see the worker ants come above ground.

4. Step 4

Acquire a queen for your habitat by capturing one from an existing colony instead of waiting to spot a young one. Overturn rocks and logs until you expose an ant colony. Look for the ant that has the largest thorax, to locate the queen. The thorax is the middle part of the ant's body. Capture some workers from her existing colony to make sure there are enough ants in your habitat to take care of her.

5.Step 5

Find a small colony and use a shovel to dig up the entire colony. Put the colony into a pail and sift through the dirt to transfer the queen and the rest of the ants to your habitat, if you prefer to start with an already functioning ant colony.

Read more: How to Catch a Queen Ant | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2292705_catch-q ... z0wnTE8raP

Arivada
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arivada » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:04 pm

I could have swore that I heard that if an ant community doesn't have a queen one of the ants proclaims itself queen and turns into one though it requires a mate(duh!) Guess I was wrong. But you still need to find one. Some species the queen does move but only during a mass migration. Be careful of the soldier ants. Depending on the species they can be vicious.
Army-40,000,000
National Guard-5,000,000
Marine Corp Rangers-5,000,000
States Milita-5,000,000
Navy-1,200 ships, 5 Million Personnel
Air Force-12,000 Planes, 5 million personnel

Rambhutan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 28, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rambhutan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Does it work in the same way as bees where a larvae fed on royal jelly becomes a queen?
Are we there yet?

Overherelandistan wrote: I chalange you to find a better one that isnt even worse

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Selaguere wrote:1. Step 1

Locate an ant colony outside and watch for the mating flights when drones and young queens come out of the colony. You can identify drones and young queens by the fact that they have wings.

2. Step 2

Look for those winged ants that return to the ground and shed their wings after the mating flight. These are the young queens. The drones die after the mating flight.

3. Step 3

Catch one of the young queens after she sheds her wings and place her in your habitat. After adding the queen to the colony, it might be a couple of weeks before you see the worker ants come above ground.

4. Step 4

Acquire a queen for your habitat by capturing one from an existing colony instead of waiting to spot a young one. Overturn rocks and logs until you expose an ant colony. Look for the ant that has the largest thorax, to locate the queen. The thorax is the middle part of the ant's body. Capture some workers from her existing colony to make sure there are enough ants in your habitat to take care of her.

5.Step 5

Find a small colony and use a shovel to dig up the entire colony. Put the colony into a pail and sift through the dirt to transfer the queen and the rest of the ants to your habitat, if you prefer to start with an already functioning ant colony.

Read more: How to Catch a Queen Ant | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2292705_catch-q ... z0wnTE8raP

Yea only problem is there arnt ants flying around

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:10 pm

I want to start an ant farm...So I'd like to know aswell...Also, information on how to make an antfarm in general would be nice...
And so it was, that I had never changed.

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:10 pm

Arivada wrote:I could have swore that I heard that if an ant community doesn't have a queen one of the ants proclaims itself queen and turns into one though it requires a mate(duh!) Guess I was wrong. But you still need to find one. Some species the queen does move but only during a mass migration. Be careful of the soldier ants. Depending on the species they can be vicious.

There Lisius Niger ants I think and they dont hurt when they bite but I still dont want them crawling all over me hence why I can only dig like 2 tiems and then I have to wait a minute untill their done swarming the are Im dgging up.

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:11 pm

Great Nepal wrote:There are 3 ways, if I am not wrong...
a) Dig out that ant colony, and hope you find the queen. Try finding one of the main "highways" of the colony, or the largest, most used hole. Then go straight down from there
b) Find another colony that is maybe based under a rock or pile of wood, somewhere shallow. The queen may be easier to find then.
c) Wait to spring and look for large ants with wings. Some of them will be young queens, and others male drones. The drones are useless to you (and they will die soon anyways), you want the young queens, but you want them after they shed their wings. This is when they start their own colony, so if you could catch them before they dig down into their first (main) hole, you have yourself a new queen.

All the holes look the same size

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:12 pm

Montanaa wrote:Just dig the entire colony up, and put it in a pail. You could grab the queen after sifting through and take a few dozen workers too.

i cant though they run out their quick and like in a panic mode. Ive already tried that and they just rush out and go back to the colony.

Entaro Tassidar
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Entaro Tassidar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:12 pm

cultivate her hive.

Arivada
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arivada » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:13 pm

Kreigan wrote:
Arivada wrote:I could have swore that I heard that if an ant community doesn't have a queen one of the ants proclaims itself queen and turns into one though it requires a mate(duh!) Guess I was wrong. But you still need to find one. Some species the queen does move but only during a mass migration. Be careful of the soldier ants. Depending on the species they can be vicious.

There Lisius Niger ants I think and they dont hurt when they bite but I still dont want them crawling all over me hence why I can only dig like 2 tiems and then I have to wait a minute untill their done swarming the are Im dgging up.

I don't blame you there. I wouldn't want a few thousand coming up my arm either.
Army-40,000,000
National Guard-5,000,000
Marine Corp Rangers-5,000,000
States Milita-5,000,000
Navy-1,200 ships, 5 Million Personnel
Air Force-12,000 Planes, 5 million personnel

Jalkil
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jalkil » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:13 pm

I think some people mentioned that you have to wait until spring. Could be wrong, I am by no means an expert.
Can noone help me gain my own country?
Sell me some land!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General