NATION

PASSWORD

Germany, and much of the Euro Area laugh at the USA's growth

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Genoa
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Genoa » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:49 pm

The Bleeding Roses wrote:
New Genoa wrote:
New Huxlian Orwell wrote:
The Bleeding Roses wrote:They can grow at that rate for decades and not match the US economically...

They can more than match the US for standards of living. America #1? Nope, number 15 in the world in the Human development index.

A worthless index that is biased towards equality.

Here in America we have a thing called capitalism which rewards success and punishes stupidity.

Except when the big businesses start failing and we start bailing them out....

Last I checked we were talking individuals...

Exorbitant CEO bonuses for driving their companies into the ground? Either way, capitalism does not work that way. It works the way those in power want it to..
Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

For death and glory? For Rohan.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:50 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:
Caninope wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:
Glorious Homeland wrote:The EU already is a greater economic force than the USA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

IMF GDP estimates 2009
EU: 16.4trl USD
USA: 14.2trl USD

Given the enlargement of the EU into eastern Europe, strong growth can be expected in future years as well, and the growth we're seeing here is being led by Germany too. So, basically you're talking shit :P

The EU is hardly a united force. You can't compare a loose collection of States and the USA.

Combine the USA, Canada and Mexico and you have a higher GDP.

Yes, it's NAFTA.

You can't compare a an agreement to a political/economic organization.

And you can't compare a political organization to a nation.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Karsol
Senator

Founded: Jan 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Karsol » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:51 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Karsol wrote:GO EU!!!

But, with places like China and Turkey flourishing, State Capitalism is the new Laissez-faire. :)

I wouldn't got that far. China's got problems building that make ours look tame in comparison.

You mean china social awareness or something else? I am actually quite ignorant in economic matters that stray from my expertise in buisness administration and accountancy.
Last edited by Karsol on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
01010000 01100101 01101110 01101001 01110011 00100001 00100001 00100001
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:54 pm

Karsol wrote:You mean china social awareness or something else? I am actually quite ignorant in economic matters that stray from my expertise in administration.

Basically a huge asset bubble, growing labor/social unrest, endemic corruption, and inequality, and environmental degradation that is posing a serious danger to many of the country's major cities. This is basically China's bottleneck; it can't keep going on its current path without collapse, but it can't risk overambitious reform without risking political or economic instability that would cause collapse. How China plays out this situation will ultimately determine its position in the world economy going forward; they are either going to rise even further to prominence or dwindle to a moderate player at best, but one thing's for sure: they can't keep going as they are and whatever direction they take, their system will change fundamentally and permanently.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

City 9
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby City 9 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:59 pm

StubbsAlbany wrote:BBC News: German economy sees 'record' growth of 2.2%.

-----------------------------------------

A) Obviously never learnt about 'Hyperinflation'.
B) ...And we all know what happened after that.
C) Run Poland Run!!!
D) Fuck you France, we're not saving you this time, we have the Olympics to prepare for.

I hate such comments. If you would really live in Germany, you would know that nearly any other state in Europe has more national pride than Germany.

Edit: To say something to the topic:
Nobody here in Germany laughs about the USA. Why should we? We´ve got so much problems ourselves, that there is no time for laughing about anyone else.
Last edited by City 9 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" 'Why do you dislike Democracy' you may ask me. The answer is simple - I dislike any system where any unpopular, but necessary decisions can´t be done because of populism."
As you may imagine, City 9 is a colony of the Universal Union aka "The Combine".
Regarding the different freedoms: For this, I have to tell you something about the 'style' of the Universal Union. Most occupied races become mindless slaves and can make no decisions on their own. We can use them as workers, soldiers, just as we please and the only thing we have to do is keeping them alive, nothing else. Therefore: Low personal/political freedoms; Good industry represented by high economic freedoms
This nation is a part of the Universal Union(Combine).

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:02 pm

New Genoa wrote:I think EU parliaments also have ways of dealing with hung parliaments better than the US does. I'm sure we'd have more effective politicians if we didn't vote so rigidly along party lines -- which means politicians now need to pander to lots of groups, with some groups (religious right, anyone?) getting more attention than others. All we have in congress is bickering...how many European countries have approval ratings of their own legislatures lower than the US Congress?

But alas, that's more related to the US electoral system, and off-topic.

Eh, we vote along party lines in Europe as well. Perhaps the main difference is that few European countries suffer the same legislative deadlock as the US with the obvious exception of Belgium. We don't seem to have the same fear of our governments actually doing stuff. So even though the single currency limits some of the economic possibilities for European countries the fact that our governments are usually capable of acting when they need to helps make up for it.

Rolamec
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:16 pm

Glorious Homeland wrote:The Economist
http://economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2010/08/europes_economies?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/bl/turbocharged
BBC News
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10962017
Well, they may as well given recent figures. Except Portugal, Spain and especially Greece...

What's that America? A group of countries with large spending on universal healthcare and welfare policies are growing much faster economically post-recession than you? *dances*

Feels pretty damn good, considering that you can only match our GDP if you combine all of the Eurozone. And from what I can tell the heavy welfare programs are devastating the economies of Spain, Portugal and Greece (as you said), and if they fall, guess who they are taking with them? The rest of Europe. *Flips you off*
Rolamec of New Earth
A Proud and Progressive Republican.
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Economic Left/Right: 4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:21 pm

Rolamec wrote:
http://economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2010/08/europes_economies?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/bl/turbocharged
BBC News
Well, they may as well given recent figures. Except Portugal, Spain and especially Greece...

What's that America? A group of countries with large spending on universal healthcare and welfare policies are growing much faster economically post-recession than you? *dances*

Feels pretty damn good, considering that you can only match our GDP if you combine all of the Eurozone. And from what I can tell the heavy welfare programs are devastating the economies of Spain, Portugal and Greece (as you said), and if they fall, guess who they are taking with them? The rest of Europe. *Flips you off*

I have a newfound respect for you. :)
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Nova Magna Germania
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Magna Germania » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:34 pm

The Bleeding Roses wrote:They can grow at that rate for decades and not match the US economically...

Is 80 million Germany supposed to match 300 million USA?

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:37 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Karsol wrote:You mean china social awareness or something else? I am actually quite ignorant in economic matters that stray from my expertise in administration.

Basically a huge asset bubble, growing labor/social unrest, endemic corruption, and inequality, and environmental degradation that is posing a serious danger to many of the country's major cities. This is basically China's bottleneck; it can't keep going on its current path without collapse, but it can't risk overambitious reform without risking political or economic instability that would cause collapse. How China plays out this situation will ultimately determine its position in the world economy going forward; they are either going to rise even further to prominence or dwindle to a moderate player at best, but one thing's for sure: they can't keep going as they are and whatever direction they take, their system will change fundamentally and permanently.

Hmm... I'm not too sure about this. The Chinese government have a very strong control on capital flows, and have even moved to curb dangerous tendencies well in advance (hence their targeted growth level this year is 8%, rather than the over 10% that would have otherwise occurred). It kind of helps that they do not need to pander to a GDP obsessed electorate like we have here in the West (where, as this thread suggests, the GDP figures of your country make your e-penis larger in an exponential manner). And of course, the other thing the Chinese have is an awareness of their own problems, the political will to tackle them and the bureaucratic capacity to do so.

Labour unrest is quite natural with rapid large scale industrialization (because of the social displacement it causes), and all other industrial countries seem to have survived that period of their development quite well. I find the hardline approach of the Chinese government quite regrettable, but I suppose they know better how to manage their population in their culture.

The only major worry I share with you is China's environmental issues, and the fact that the government does seem quite clueless on that front. I don't really know how they are tackling this, but surely they are starting to smart about it, no?

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:39 pm

Glorious Homeland wrote:

The EU already is a greater economic force than the USA.

IMF GDP estimates 2009

Given the enlargement of the EU into eastern Europe, strong growth can be expected in future years as well, and the growth we're seeing here is being led by Germany too. So, basically you're talking shit :P

Your point? Why are you comparing 27 countries to only 1?
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Nova Magna Germania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Magna Germania » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Glorious Homeland wrote:

IMF GDP estimates 2009

Your point? Why are you comparing 27 countries to only 1?

Why are u comparing a country of 300 million people with countries whose populations range from 500k to 80 million?

Nova Magna Germania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Magna Germania » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Rolamec wrote:
BBC News

The most extensive welfare programs are in Scandinavia and Scandinavian economies are way better than yours, and Scandinavian countries enjoy higher living standards.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Glorious Homeland wrote:
Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
Glorious Homeland wrote:
Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
Glorious Homeland wrote:What's that America? A group of countries with large spending on universal healthcare and welfare policies are growing much faster economically post-recession than you? *dances*

What's that Europe? A group of supposedly 'progressive' countries experiencing massive xenophobia to the point of considering oppression of minorities?
There's only a minority that gives a shit about Europe's supposed 'Progressiveness', and a large part of said minority just so happens to consist of left-ish Americans.

A good European majority will happily cheer you on if you mock said American left-ish folks for their delusional rose-tinted view of Europe.

Oh, I don't know; we can apparently manage large welfare systems that empower the poor, reduce income inequality, raise opportunity, and yet also grow faster post-recession AND have a bigger GDP than the USA? How is that rose-tinted?
Unless you're measuring American success in terms of negative growth and income inequality? That must be it.
Are you illiterate or something?

The point is that recent figures are proving American's economic approach inferior to ours, in general. We can be progressive socially and economically progressive too. Why can't the USA be both? Lazy Americans? That's what the right put the poor down to anyway isn't it? Laziness, I guess Americans must just be much lazier than the average European, if they can't manage decent social provisions and economic expansion?

Glorious Homeland wrote:The EU already is a greater economic force than the USA.

IMF GDP estimates 2009

The EU is hardly a united force. You can't compare a loose collection of States and the USA.

It can be compared in many ways, like GDP, economic growth and such. The point is that the one thing those in the USA who are scathing about across the pond; the economy, and how apparently the USA's more laissez faire economics is superior, and how the welfare system and things like universal healthcare will break or bankrupt a state or make it economically less powerful? Recent figures disagree with that assessment.

Glorious Homeland wrote:

IMF GDP estimates 2009

1 country versus 44747747474 countries...
Ill take my chances.

Oh, so you're changing the topic, because you won't admit the USA isn't as economically powerful as the EU? We with our national health services and welfare states are apparently better at economic growth than "land of the free" USA? Go on... say it. Your own economic and social systems are unfortunately flawed, not progressive, in terms of income inequality OR GDP growth. The USA can't handle large market crashes, invasions, occupations, social progressiveness, post-recession economic growth these days, compared to it's European peers... tell me, what is it especially good at these days? I like the USA, but you guys clearly have a lot to fix to catch up! True progressiveness will only come about whenever most people admit your system is inferior. Protecting a delusion won't help you, it'll only cripple your nations in years to come.

GDP/capita
US $46,400
EU $32,600
Now stop trolling.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:49 pm

Glorious Homeland wrote:
Glorious Homeland wrote:It can be compared in many ways, like GDP, economic growth and such. The point is that the one thing those in the USA who are scathing about across the pond; the economy, and how apparently the USA's more laissez faire economics is superior, and how the welfare system and things like universal healthcare will break or bankrupt a state or make it economically less powerful? Recent figures disagree with that assessment.

Population of the EU: 501 million

Population of the US: 300 million

Differences in GDP: 2.2 trillion

Riiight.

I wonder what it'll be like when the eastern bloc members develop to a western standard. Can you hazard a guess?

It'll be like 5 decades from now.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Valkenburg aan de Geul wrote:
Glorious Homeland wrote:

IMF GDP estimates 2009

Ill take my chances.

America is 50 states, the EU is 30-40 states.

America is a continent.
The United States is 1 country. The EU is 27.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:54 pm

Glorious Homeland wrote:Yes, although the original point was never an attack on transatlantic trade. Rather, an attempt to point out that the American system isn't the best for the die hards who are convinced it is.

America is making some mistakes. By becoming more like Europe.
Your entire thread is trolling. Starting with the title.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Marcurix
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:04 pm

BBC News

While its nice to see some strong growth comming out of the Eurozone, it really shouldnt matter that it has come out larger than the USA in a quarter, because those figures can change rapidly. Come back at the yearly report and maybe you can be a little happy.

What's that Europe? A group of supposedly 'progressive' countries experiencing massive xenophobia to the point of considering oppression of minorities?

Irrelevant really to an economic disscussion, not to mention an exageration. One could easily point to the happenings in Arizona and Florida.

Try 27

It does not matter that much, really it does not.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
-Winston Churchill

Maxedon
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Maxedon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Glorious Homeland wrote:

IMF GDP estimates 2009

Dude, you DO realize that your comparing ONE country to like 15 or twenty?
Conservatives FTW!
HomeLand Safety wrote:Fuck all of you your all a bunch of fucking liberal hippies, you think that the nation should be tolerant of it...well there is a certain point when things should be fucking controlled...Ground Zero is a place where people lost there lives..to a twisted Muslim who wont leave us the fuck alone...they think its a fucking holy war killing innocent civilians...blowing up the nation who is trying to help them...So yes its "One Nation Under God, Not Allah" So fuck you and your damn liberal views...
Join the Global Powers!DEFCON:1 [TOTAL WAR]
I am t3h aw3s0m3z
Join the Antican Alliance!
Conservatives Are Awesome. Just Believe it. So are Republicans. And Bush.

Aiestonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aiestonia » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:09 pm

As much as I'd like Germany's and the Eurozones economic growth to be an indicator of Europe's economic über awesomeness... It isn't.
Europe has a number of very fundamental economic problems, that are much more sever than the US'.
Mainly;
1) A much more rapidly ageing and already significantly older population.
2) Too large welfare states in western Europe, stricter labour laws, to early pension ages etc..
3) A lack of elite institutions in R&D and education.
4) The lack of cohesiveness among European leaders, and sclerosis when it comes to action. (The austerity programs the commission and Merkel want forcefed are an exception to this, trust me).
5) Big trade imbalances within the EU. (among intra Eu trade).
6) Government deficits (Yes. as a % of GDP they are at places larger than in the US). Ironically enough, the supposed vanguard of austerity herself (Good old Deutschland) has a higher government deficit as a % of GDP then the US. (Check the stats someone sent earlier).

As for german growth...
Germany is enormously dependant on exports. It is, in many ways, Europe's China. This means, that when there is strong foreign demand (in this case especially in Asia) naturally the economy will grow better. Another contributing factor to stronger GDP growth in Germany and the Eurozone (right now) is the weakening of the Euro. Countries like germany, which are heavily export oriented, like for example Sweden and the Netherlands, are going to prosper right now, because growth in Asia is strong, because the Euro has weakened, etc. The more import oriented coutries, like italy, spain, etc. don't benefit as much.

Anyway, the important part of what I'm trying to say is that whether or not the EU happens to have stronger economic growth than the US right now doesn't matter... because trust me, it won't stay that way. Not for the big continental economies, and probably not for Germany. And not for the Eurozone.
Look at this for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... _estimates.
Anybody with basic arithmetic skills can see that according to this example, the US will steadilyt be cathing up with the EU in terms of GDP, in just 5 years.
If go even further into the future, (2050) and look at this GDP comparison between the present day EU 27 and the US...

Look at these4 IMF projections of future GDP growth: http://www.carnegieendowment.org/public ... w&id=24195

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:40 pm

The EU as a whole however...

The Antarctic Lands
Envoy

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Antarctic Lands » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:

True, but wouldn't you like to be out of a recession?

Eh, the recession has its perks.

Like what? Making the Repubs more unpopular?

The numbers indicate otherwise...

But it has its benefits when buying real estate or hiring individuals...

It's always nice to be able to hire people to do hard labor for minimum wage.
My political compass as of June 2010:
Economic Left/Right: -9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97

The Antarctic Lands
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Antarctic Lands » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Maxedon wrote:
Glorious Homeland wrote:

IMF GDP estimates 2009

Dude, you DO realize that your comparing ONE country to like 15 or twenty?

As opposed to comparing Germany to a country 3.75x it's size?

Valkenburg aan de Geul
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Valkenburg aan de Geul » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:07 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Glorious Homeland wrote:

IMF GDP estimates 2009

Ill take my chances.

America is a continent.

Meh, within 5 years the EU is 1 country anyway.

The Antarctic Lands
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Antarctic Lands » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:18 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Glorious Homeland wrote:

IMF GDP estimates 2009

Ill take my chances.

America is a continent.

North and South America have conjoined?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General