NATION

PASSWORD

Prop 8 ruled unconstitutional

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Our Constitution wrote:Oh sure, if a Rogue Judge can just declare something Unconstitutional then surely another Judge can just declare it Constitutional.

Who's side do you take? We're talking about a Supreme Court which is often divided 5-4 for or against something. Should this Judge's ruling stand or should the other Judge who said it was Kosher stand? Well, guess who's decision that is? The Executive Branch! Mo-fo Cherry Pickers I say! We should get Washington back in to chop down them th'ar cherry trees ubetcha bygolly

The other Judge's are reviewing it. That's how it works.

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Our Constitution wrote:Susan Bolton & now this crazy Judge?

A single Judge should not have this kind of power. All these laws should continue until this single Judge can get the other judges needed for a majority to agree with him / her. If that judge is unable to do so, then this type of Judicial Authority should be unconstitutional. In fact, I'm sure it is. I can't imagine that the Founding Fathers would've set up a Judicial System granting a single individual to turn over a popular vote. Definitely not, the entire Bench would have to make this kind of motion to overturn a law, not a single Judge.

Gotta go pick up a law book again, I have a feeling this judge as well as Ms. Bolton should be impeached for over-reaching their authority, and of course any executive powers that are accomplises should like wise lose their jobs as well.

...I feel like someone just made the argument that capital punishment is unconstitutional because it's cruel and unusual punishment, and you argued that didn't apply because vegetarians don't even *eat* chicken.
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Our Constitution wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:What are you talking about. The judge, in this case, IS a check (or balance, you decide... I'm leaning towards 'check') - and is, therefore, doing exactly what you're saying should be done.

Something was going on, it was moving through the system, it was arguably un-Constitutional, the check (judge) checked it.

The machine is working... so why are you complaining?

Whats going on, is that ONE judge acting on behalf of the ENTIRE Judicial Branch is suspect at best. I don't approve. This is about the Abuse of the Judicial Branch by Rogue Judges. Before the Legislative Branch can check the Judicial Branch a huge process of like 2/3 of the Congress has to vote, has to pass amendments, etc etc... The Judicial Branch's ability requires a single Judge's opinion on something's Constitutionality and then the Executive Branch bends over the voters and starts f'n them in the @$$ ? What kind of f'n system is THAT?

Its definitely not a JUST one.

You don't approve. Well, luckily, no one asked you. The United States' system of justice is working as designed (and which design you show an abysmal lack of understanding). That you don't approve is, frankly, immaterial.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:22 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I guess. It's interesting, though, that there hasn't been a huge, fiery eruption from the GOP on this. Some have spoken out but I haven't seen Boehner and McConnell ranting and yelling "No you can't!" The Newt's said something, I believe, but he's not the guy you want defending the sanctity of marriage, and the usual suspects from Focus on the Family, but otherwise it's been mostly silence. Rachel Maddow did a piece on this last night. Very interesting.

If we're lucky, they'll keep their traps shut permanently and not remind the vast population of chimps that watch FAUX News that it's once again time to rig votes in California. But I digress.

Give 'em some time... And if not, I'll bet they'll give Zephie a job.

:p Maddow suggested that it could be because the Tea Party isn't as socially conservative as the religious right, and that the power base in the GOP has shifted away from the religious right. Their high point was making Congress stop what it was doing and actually intervene in a very sad family matter, the Terry Schiavo case, giving us the spectacle of Senators diagnosing that poor woman via a TV feed. Interesting times, eh?

Am I the only one here who would totally do Maddow if she talked politics to me?
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:24 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Our Constitution wrote:Oh sure, if a Rogue Judge can just declare something Unconstitutional then surely another Judge can just declare it Constitutional.

Who's side do you take? We're talking about a Supreme Court which is often divided 5-4 for or against something. Should this Judge's ruling stand or should the other Judge who said it was Kosher stand? Well, guess who's decision that is? The Executive Branch! Mo-fo Cherry Pickers I say! We should get Washington back in to chop down them th'ar cherry trees ubetcha bygolly

you are getting repetitious.

Indeed. The plan is simple. Repeat it long enough until everybody starts believing it.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:29 pm

Your satire is very... well... I'm fairly sure satire is supposed to have a point.

Our Constitution
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Constitution » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Ryadn wrote:

Your satire is very... well... I'm fairly sure satire is supposed to have a point.

My satire totally has a point! It involves King Kong, several tons of flax, ... shit... I've told you too much already.
"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.” - Thomas Jefferson

"The world would be a much better place if all those Muslims, Jews, & Christians just converted to Human."

Chromosome #2

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Ryadn wrote:Am I the only one here who would totally do Maddow if she talked politics to me?

It comes with the Rhodes Scholar territory.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Our Constitution wrote:If a single rogue Judge can strike down and suspend laws without a peer review

They can't... the review is handled via the appeals process. If his peers in the appeals court agree with him either by affirming his decision, or by refusing to hear the case because the appeal lacks merit, then it's over till the legislature acts again.
Such heroic nonsense!

Our Constitution
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Constitution » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:36 pm

I question your taste in women. Have you seen that woman? She's uglier than Janet Reno!
"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.” - Thomas Jefferson

"The world would be a much better place if all those Muslims, Jews, & Christians just converted to Human."

Chromosome #2

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:37 pm

Our Constitution wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:What are you talking about. The judge, in this case, IS a check (or balance, you decide... I'm leaning towards 'check') - and is, therefore, doing exactly what you're saying should be done.

Something was going on, it was moving through the system, it was arguably un-Constitutional, the check (judge) checked it.

The machine is working... so why are you complaining?

Whats going on, is that ONE judge acting on behalf of the ENTIRE Judicial Branch is suspect at best. I don't approve. This is about the Abuse of the Judicial Branch by Rogue Judges. Before the Legislative Branch can check the Judicial Branch a huge process of like 2/3 of the Congress has to vote, has to pass amendments, etc etc... The Judicial Branch's ability requires a single Judge's opinion on something's Constitutionality and then the Executive Branch bends over the voters and starts f'n them in the @$$ ? What kind of f'n system is THAT?

Its definitely not a JUST one.

The judiciary has fucked no one. It was voters raping people, which the judiciary checked.
Such heroic nonsense!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Ryadn wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I guess. It's interesting, though, that there hasn't been a huge, fiery eruption from the GOP on this. Some have spoken out but I haven't seen Boehner and McConnell ranting and yelling "No you can't!" The Newt's said something, I believe, but he's not the guy you want defending the sanctity of marriage, and the usual suspects from Focus on the Family, but otherwise it's been mostly silence. Rachel Maddow did a piece on this last night. Very interesting.

If we're lucky, they'll keep their traps shut permanently and not remind the vast population of chimps that watch FAUX News that it's once again time to rig votes in California. But I digress.

Give 'em some time... And if not, I'll bet they'll give Zephie a job.

:p Maddow suggested that it could be because the Tea Party isn't as socially conservative as the religious right, and that the power base in the GOP has shifted away from the religious right. Their high point was making Congress stop what it was doing and actually intervene in a very sad family matter, the Terry Schiavo case, giving us the spectacle of Senators diagnosing that poor woman via a TV feed. Interesting times, eh?

Am I the only one here who would totally do Maddow if she talked politics to me?

i am very straight and i would.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:39 pm

Our Constitution wrote:I question your taste in women. Have you seen that woman? She's uglier than Janet Reno!

wow you are no better a judge of women than you are a judge of the constitution.
whatever

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Ryadn wrote:

A single Judge should not have this kind of power. All these laws should continue until this single Judge can get the other judges needed for a majority to agree with him / her. If that judge is unable to do so, then this type of Judicial Authority should be unconstitutional. In fact, I'm sure it is. I can't imagine that the Founding Fathers would've set up a Judicial System granting a single individual to turn over a popular vote. Definitely not, the entire Bench would have to make this kind of motion to overturn a law, not a single Judge.

Gotta go pick up a law book again, I have a feeling this judge as well as Ms. Bolton should be impeached for over-reaching their authority, and of course any executive powers that are accomplises should like wise lose their jobs as well.

...I feel like someone just made the argument that capital punishment is unconstitutional because it's cruel and unusual punishment, and you argued that didn't apply because vegetarians don't even *eat* chicken.

That is a bad comparison... yours makes too much sense.
Such heroic nonsense!

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:43 pm

Our Constitution wrote:
Ryadn wrote:

My satire totally has a point! It involves King Kong, several tons of flax, ... shit... I've told you too much already.

Well?

It kind of fails if you have to explain it......
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:43 pm

Ryadn wrote:

It reminds me a bit of Pinky and the Brain.

I think so, Brain, but what if the hippopotamus won't wear the beach thong?
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Our Constitution
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Constitution » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:48 pm

Tekania wrote:
Our Constitution wrote:If a single rogue Judge can strike down and suspend laws without a peer review

They can't... the review is handled via the appeals process. If his peers in the appeals court agree with him either by affirming his decision, or by refusing to hear the case because the appeal lacks merit, then it's over till the legislature acts again.

Because the appeal lacks merit? You see! This is the whole problem with the process! It should be the Judge's job to prove that the law is unconstitutional and gain the support of the other Justices to make this an action of the Judicial Branch.

Checking the power of the Legislative is a JUDICIAL BRANCH action and should require consent of the Judicial Branch before they make these motions to screw over The Voters.

Power to the People!!!!

Chromosome #2

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:49 pm

Our Constitution wrote:Whoa whoa whoa. You dumb biznitches shut your snatches.

I'm sure you think this a terribly amusing intro to your argument, but given your record so far, I think you'd best stick to safer methods of trying to be funny. Between this and getting personal with your 'taste in women' comment, you're toeing the line.

Our Constitution
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Constitution » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:
Our Constitution wrote:Whoa whoa whoa. You dumb biznitches shut your snatches.

I'm sure you think this a terribly amusing intro to your argument, but given your record so far, I think you'd best stick to safer methods of trying to be funny. Between this and getting personal with your 'taste in women' comment, you're toeing the line.

Ah dang, a Janet Reno fan. HaHa, my high school teacher and next door neighbor is really good friends with Janet Reno & Jimmy Carter. You should have seen their faces when I told our former Pres about how much I question is decision on the Panama Canal. He got soooo mad I thought the blood vessels in his head were going to pop.

:hug:

Chromosome #2

The Voltania
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Voltania » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:05 pm

After this gets carried over to the Supreme Court, the decision on gay marriage will be final. It will be Gaynarok.

National anthemFirst Minister: Alexander Morrice MPMajority Party: Voltanian Progressives
Population (as according to my own stats): 5,092,415Constitution: In constructionEconomy

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Our Constitution wrote:Power to the People!!!!

Fuck direct democracy.

Our Constitution
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Constitution » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:09 pm

The Voltania wrote:After this gets carried over to the Supreme Court, the decision on gay marriage will be final. It will be Gaynarok.

Next Stop: Beastiality! Oh yeah!!
Last edited by Our Constitution on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chromosome #2

The Voltania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Voltania » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Zeppy wrote:
Our Constitution wrote:Power to the People!!!!

Fuck direct democracy.

Same here.

National anthemFirst Minister: Alexander Morrice MPMajority Party: Voltanian Progressives
Population (as according to my own stats): 5,092,415Constitution: In constructionEconomy

The Voltania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Voltania » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Our Constitution wrote:
The Voltania wrote:After this gets carried over to the Supreme Court, the decision on gay marriage will be final. It will be Gaynarok.

Next Stop: Beastiality! Oh yeah!! Can't wait to wed a goatfucker.

Lern 2 Englis.
Last edited by The Voltania on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:10 pm

Our Constitution wrote:

Next Stop: Beastiality! Oh yeah!!

Right, because marriage between two adults who happen to be the same gender is just like having sex with an animal... :palm:
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General