NATION

PASSWORD

Prop 8 ruled unconstitutional

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sun Aut Ex
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Aut Ex » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:00 pm

Wamitoria wrote:Then why are you complaining?

Because trying to make sense of your screwy legal system hurts.

And you wonder why there's so many constitutional nuts out there.
Strykyh wrote:I wasn't trying to be intelligent.

Keronians wrote:
So you think it's ok to waste valuable police time and resources to pander to minority superstitions?

"All available officers, report downtown, armed suspected firing wildly into the public."
"I'll be about ten minutes, I have to go to ID a Muslim woman."

Yes.

Unless of course it's not OK for a woman to ask for a female to ask for a female officer to carry out body checks. In which case, the answer would be no.

"All available officers, report downtown, armed suspected firing wildly into the public."
"I'll be about then minutes, I have to go to carry out a body check on a woman."

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:00 pm

Greater Americania wrote:*Vomits*

*pushes in mud*
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Vervaria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:00 pm

Greater Americania wrote:*Vomits*

Please use the designated wastebasket for fake troll vomit. Thank you.
Lulz: viewtopic.php?p=2707685#p2707685
Fact book
Robustian wrote:If you disagree with me, you are wrong. Period.

Ashmoria wrote:it worries me more when people who hate the government and dont think it can do a good job at anything get into power and start running things.

Wanderjar wrote:hiding behind this "I WANT SOURCES" wall is very quaint

Self--Esteem wrote:No. I love smearing those people who evidently like their country blown by a nuke and who are too foolish to realise that middle-eastern terrorism is nothing to be fond of.

Novistranaya wrote:After the Civil War, the majority of Southerners were more than happy to accept defeat and acknowledge the fact that (though not immediately) blacks were going to have the same rights as them.

Chazicaria
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Chazicaria » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:00 pm

Seculartopia wrote:
Chazicaria wrote:Maybe that idiot judge will come to his senses and do the right thing by keeping prop-8 as law. The people voted, plain and simple.

Unfortunately, people cant vote away the Constitution.

The constitution wasn't designed with homos in mind. Back then they were secluded from society or frowned upon, and rightfully so. Now if the Constitution said "Let all be married" then I could understand the judges reasoning, but I would still heavily oppose gay marriage. I'm just waiting for an amendment that says "no marriage for homos".

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:00 pm

I think the critical blow for our side was when Theodore B. Olson took on the case.

If you read his Newsweek article, "The Conservative Case For Gay Marriage," he makes some compelling arguments there. Actually, I've used many of his arguments in the past when I've fought for this issue. Hearing the same arguments from Olson gives them some serious gravitas.

Justice has prevailed. Hallelujah!
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Gahaldu
Envoy

Founded: Dec 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gahaldu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:01 pm

Chazicaria wrote:Maybe that idiot judge will come to his senses and do the right thing by keeping prop-8 as law. The people voted, plain and simple.

There was a time when most people would vote in favor of mass murdering (or enslaving) blacks.
Economic Left/Right: 0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.00

Seculartopia
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seculartopia » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:01 pm

Sun Aut Ex wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Then why are you complaining?

Because trying to make sense of your screwy legal system hurts.

And you wonder why there's so many constitutional nuts out there.

The legal system is meant to be firm but flexible. As are alot of other legal systems.
LOL....Google Chrome doesnt support the Google Toolbar
|Seculartopia Encyclopedia|
|Ask Seculartopia A Question|

Alliances- International Secular Coalition-AMTF-Comintern Founding Member-Nuclear Arms Assembly

Ifreann Awesomeness
Rhodmire wrote:4/5 for being bold enough to put up what looks like something made from MS Paint.
That takes balls, and you've got them.

All was dark when the armies surrounded the town. There was little bloodshed as they swept in, and they quickly took control. "Success," said a communicator, "a base has been established."

OOC:There. Now, we'll wait for UK to catch up.

^EPIC RP GODMOD FAIL!!

Civics Quiz
You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %
Average score for this quiz during August: 75.6%

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:01 pm

Sun Aut Ex wrote:
Tekania wrote:No, they have a blank check for protecting rights that have not necessarily been enumerated previously, which is in fact their job, and something which was BY DESIGN.

Well, see, that system is based on the assumption of natural rights.

Our very foundation of law is based upon the assumption of natural rights. Truthfully it's the only system which makes sense; anything else is merely despotism in new clothes.
Such heroic nonsense!

Gahaldu
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Gahaldu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:01 pm

Chazicaria wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:

The constitution wasn't designed with homos in mind. Back then they were secluded from society or frowned upon, and rightfully so. Now if the Constitution said "Let all be married" then I could understand the judges reasoning, but I would still heavily oppose gay marriage. I'm just waiting for an amendment that says "no marriage for homos".

It was designed with equality in mind.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Chazicaria wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:

Where in the constitution does it say "no marriage for homos"?

Chazicaria
Minister

Postby Chazicaria » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Gahaldu wrote:
Chazicaria wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:

Equality for normal people.

Jusela
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jusela » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Karsol wrote:
Jusela wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Jusela wrote: At this rate, they'd legalising polygamy soon.

Why not? Why should someone be punished for being polyamourous?

What about pedophilia then? Why not legalise that too? Why should someone be punished for sleeping with children?

You are the one suggesting it, not us, pedo. :p

Heck, if we legalise gay marriage, why just not go ahead and legalise polygamy, animal marriage, pedophilia (insert your choice of sexual perversion here) then? Equal rights for everyone, let us not discriminate against anyone! Surely that is what most liberal leftists want.

Vervaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Chazicaria wrote:
Gahaldu wrote:
Chazicaria wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:

White landowners you mean.
Fact book

Ashmoria wrote:it worries me more when people who hate the government and dont think it can do a good job at anything get into power and start running things.

Self--Esteem wrote:No. I love smearing those people who evidently like their country blown by a nuke and who are too foolish to realise that middle-eastern terrorism is nothing to be fond of.

Novistranaya wrote:After the Civil War, the majority of Southerners were more than happy to accept defeat and acknowledge the fact that (though not immediately) blacks were going to have the same rights as them.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Chazicaria wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:

You should read my posts about the Ninth Amendment. If you don't like the Supreme Court's interpretation of it, petition your government for a Constitutional Amendment.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Gahaldu
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Gahaldu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Chazicaria wrote:
Gahaldu wrote:
Chazicaria wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:

Once upon a time interracial marriage was considered abnormal.

Sun Aut Ex
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Aut Ex » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Tekania wrote:Our very foundation of law is based upon the assumption of natural rights. Truthfully it's the only system which makes sense; anything else is merely despotism in new clothes.

I don't believe in natural rights. Nature doesn't hand out rights. Man makes his own rights, and must be prepared to defend them against idiots from over the seas who want to quash them.
Strykyh wrote:I wasn't trying to be intelligent.

Keronians wrote:
So you think it's ok to waste valuable police time and resources to pander to minority superstitions?

"I'll be about ten minutes, I have to go to ID a Muslim woman."

Yes.

Unless of course it's not OK for a woman to ask for a female to ask for a female officer to carry out body checks. In which case, the answer would be no.

"I'll be about then minutes, I have to go to carry out a body check on a woman."

Tokos
Senator

Founded: Oct 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tokos » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Gahaldu wrote:It was designed with equality in mind.

Tricky word, equality. You can mean almost anything by it. You can change your "equal" status legally in America, by being born a drooling retard or being a prisoner, yes?
The Confederal Fasces of Tokos

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Vervaria wrote:
Chazicaria wrote:
Gahaldu wrote:
Chazicaria wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:

White male landowners you mean.

Fixed.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

Vervaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Vervaria wrote:
Chazicaria wrote:
Gahaldu wrote:
Chazicaria wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:

White male landowners you mean.

Fixed.

Ah, forgot about that, thank you. :)
Fact book

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Tokos wrote:

Tricky word, equality. You can mean almost anything by it. You can change your "equal" status legally in America, by being born a drooling retard or being a prisoner, yes?

You're very hard to follow.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Jusela wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Jusela wrote:
Jusela wrote: At this rate, they'd legalising polygamy soon.

Why not? Why should someone be punished for being polyamourous?

What about pedophilia then? Why not legalise that too? Why should someone be punished for sleeping with children?

You are the one suggesting it, not us, pedo. :p

Heck, if we legalise gay marriage, why just not go ahead and legalise polygamy, animal marriage, pedophilia (insert your choice of sexual perversion here) then? Equal rights for everyone, let us not discriminate against anyone! Surely that is what most liberal leftists want.

For the last time... Homosexuality =/= Polygamy, animal marriage, pedophilia, etc.

Your argument is invalid.
Last edited by Wamitoria on Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knowlandia
Ambassador

Founded: May 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Knowlandia » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:04 pm

NSG is liberal, how do you think they'll take the rulling? I'm not a liberal, I'm not a conservative either, both sides are political fundimentalists and have some retarded views.

Anyway, back on topic, I am happy about the rulling. I don't see why any 2 adults can't sign a legal contract that mandates that they share certain property/items and that they have certain rights to answer for each other.
Proud member of the Socialist Treaty Organization!
Knowlandia blades of WAR! Storefront

Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.12 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.87

Gahaldu
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Gahaldu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Tokos wrote:

True, but being gay is not a mental impairment or a crime.

Chazicaria
Minister

Postby Chazicaria » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Gahaldu wrote:
Chazicaria wrote:
Gahaldu wrote:
Chazicaria wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:

Once upon a time interracial marriage was considered abnormal.

As long as it is a MAN and WOMAN. And to the white landowners thing, that is completely irrelevant, racism isn't the same as normality.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Sun Aut Ex wrote:
Tekania wrote:Our very foundation of law is based upon the assumption of natural rights. Truthfully it's the only system which makes sense; anything else is merely despotism in new clothes.

I don't believe in natural rights. Nature doesn't hand out rights. Man makes his own rights, and must be prepared to defend them against idiots from over the seas who want to quash them.

That's all well and good, but you do not equal the Constitution.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General