NATION

PASSWORD

Should Students be Expelled for Religious/Sexual Beliefs?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should students be expelled for religious/sexual beliefs?

No to expulsion.
40%
Yes to expulsion
20%
Expulsion only if those beliefs promote criminal acts.
40%

Total votes : 366

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:36 am

Seems fair to me if it was an atheist or homosexual being kicked out that would be a different story.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:40 am

You-Gi-Owe wrote:
Unhealthy2 wrote:
You-Gi-Owe wrote:Maybe she wants to counsel other Christians?
Seems to me that would be her likely clientele.
Or do you not want her to be a counselor at all?

That's still risky. What if she counsels closet homosexual Christians? None of her advise to them could possibly be psychologically healthy.

Of course it'd be healthy. If they follow her advice then they're much less likely to get AIDS.

Except that the poor, not homosexuals, are much more likely to be infected with HIV. But you knew that, right? And women are more likely to get it than men.
Last edited by Katganistan on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:42 am

Katganistan wrote:
You-Gi-Owe wrote:
Unhealthy2 wrote:
You-Gi-Owe wrote:Maybe she wants to counsel other Christians?
Seems to me that would be her likely clientele.
Or do you not want her to be a counselor at all?

That's still risky. What if she counsels closet homosexual Christians? None of her advise to them could possibly be psychologically healthy.

Of course it'd be healthy. If they follow her advice then they're much less likely to get AIDS.

Except that the poor, not homosexuals, are much more likely to be infected with HIV. But you knew that, right? And women are more likely to get it than men.

Hard to contract AIDS if you're not having sex.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:45 am

Quelesh wrote:This is from World Net Daily, a "publication" to which I give no credence whatsoever. I don't believe a single thing they say.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... versities/

Try this one.

Or for another opinion... http://www.towleroad.com/2010/07/antiga ... ality.html
Last edited by Katganistan on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:50 am

Marcurix wrote:the right to freedom of speech and religion as defined by the US constiution will end this rather quickly.

Is the government telling her she cannot express her views?

Zephie
Senator

Founded: Oct 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:53 am

Katganistan wrote:
Marcurix wrote:the right to freedom of speech and religion as defined by the US constiution will end this rather quickly.

Is the government telling her she cannot express her views?

I think it could stir up trouble if the school receives government funding.
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.
Senestrum wrote:I just can't think of anything to say that wouldn't get me warned on this net-nanny forum.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:54 am

Caninope wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:
Jimanistan wrote:Referring to the story linked by the OP specifically, I don't think school administrators have any right to expel students for being ignorant.

They didn't, they're not allowing her to complete a course in counseling where she does not accept homosexuality as anything but a sinful choice nor will she provide unbiased advice on abortions.

Essentially, those disqualify her from being a counsellor, and rightly so.

You come to counselors for advice- if you know she feels that way, then don't go to them. It she thinks it's a choice, then she can think that.

A rather extreme example of something similar would be asking a racist friend for advice. If you didn't want racist advice, don't go to the racist friend. With all this said, I don't really see what she did that was so bad.

And how would you know that she believed that, coming through her door?
And how will that help someone who is already in crisis, to be told that they're sinful?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:58 am

Gordonopia wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:
Unhealthy2 wrote:Also, what's this about gays doing it for attention?

Well dahling, persecution is quite fabulous donchano?

Oh, let's not talk about persecution. Christians are routinely persecuted and ostracized while homosexuality is celebrated and accepted.

As a Roman Catholic American, let me just say, "Oh, PLEASE." :roll:

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:15 am

Ryadn wrote:
Bramborska wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:The HIV virus is small enough to get through the rubber of the condom

This is an often-exposed lie, widely circulated by the Catholic Church.

You want proof? Have at it! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1411838

The phrase "reduction by 4 orders of magnitude" means "less than one chance in 10,000". If you want to pretend that that justifies what the Church has told people, go ahead. I say the Church has massive amounts of blood on its hands.

Let's be honest, 10,000 fucks isn't a lot of sex. I mean, if Ford had a car that blew up 1 out of 10,000; they'd be screwed pretty badly.

It's three times a day, every day, for 10 years.

:shock:
So some of our more prolific posters must be capable of X-treme Multi-Tasking!!!!!

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:17 am

Katganistan wrote: :shock:
So some of our more prolific posters must be capable of X-treme Multi-Tasking!!!!!

8)

You know it, baby.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Sebally-Orwitskia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebally-Orwitskia » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:18 am

Georgism wrote:
Jusela wrote:What the heck is wrong with you people and your double standards?

Cant believe nine people favored voting yes to expel her based on her beliefs. Just the heck is wrong with you?

She deserved it because she's a right wing christian and therefore doesn't agree with us.

:palm:
...Your line alone now gives me this equation:
Georgism = Extremist Christian.
Your practically one of them.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:19 am

Bramborska wrote:I mean, in almost any other profession I think I'd understand, but c'mon... As I said before, we're talking about a counselor. The sort of people who make hard decisions for teenagers like what acne cream to avoid. We're not exactly talking hard science here or hard rules. I know this could be construed to be a tad unfair, but when the profession is like a step away from being a Zen Balancer or some other "practitioner," I'm always a little amused because people put on airs and talk about integrity for quasi-useless professions like it was a matter of life'n'death.

You do know that school counselors are often called on to counsel students who may be suicidal, who may have just found out that they or their partner is pregnant or has an STD, to deal specifically with students struggling with gender identity, horrific child abuse, sexual assault....

Oh, right. You don't.

Sebally-Orwitskia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebally-Orwitskia » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:20 am

Katganistan wrote:
Gordonopia wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:
Unhealthy2 wrote:Also, what's this about gays doing it for attention?

Well dahling, persecution is quite fabulous donchano?

Oh, let's not talk about persecution. Christians are routinely persecuted and ostracized while homosexuality is celebrated and accepted.

As a Roman Catholic American, let me just say, "Oh, PLEASE." :roll:

As a Roman Catholic in Asia, "Yes we are being persecuted."

Vervaria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:26 am

Lulz: viewtopic.php?p=2707685#p2707685
Fact book
Robustian wrote:If you disagree with me, you are wrong. Period.

Ashmoria wrote:it worries me more when people who hate the government and dont think it can do a good job at anything get into power and start running things.

Wanderjar wrote:hiding behind this "I WANT SOURCES" wall is very quaint

Self--Esteem wrote:No. I love smearing those people who evidently like their country blown by a nuke and who are too foolish to realise that middle-eastern terrorism is nothing to be fond of.

Novistranaya wrote:After the Civil War, the majority of Southerners were more than happy to accept defeat and acknowledge the fact that (though not immediately) blacks were going to have the same rights as them.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:27 am

Gordonopia wrote:Again, I am sorry to point out the blatant flaw in your statement, but I must. Proposition 8 was a large step in the right direction. While it is fashionable to mock Christians and the deeply held beliefs about morality that they hold sacred, I and others who hold those beliefs are derided and ostracized. Who's the bigot now? While I find the practice of homosexuality evil and deeply disturbing, I nevertheless defend the right of those who hold positions contrary to mine to express them freely. My issue is that Christians are not allowed the same courtesy.

Sorry -- didn't you just express your opinion? Has anyone jailed you? Beaten you? Has it been edited in any way? Or are you upset that people can and will criticize it -- the same way you criticize homosexuality be calling it evil and deeply disturbing?

Just trying to get some clarification here.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:30 am

Zephie wrote:
Soheran wrote:
Wait, for real?

How many open atheists are there in the US Congress? How many open Christians are there? Do you realize that atheists are among the least popular groups in the country, according to poll data?

I never said atheists were never attacked. But from my experience, I see atheists provoking it. We have freedom of religion in the U.S I don't see why everyone can't just respect that.

Do rape victims provoke it too?
Just curious.

Vervaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:31 am

Katganistan wrote:
Zephie wrote:
Soheran wrote:
Wait, for real?

How many open atheists are there in the US Congress? How many open Christians are there? Do you realize that atheists are among the least popular groups in the country, according to poll data?

I never said atheists were never attacked. But from my experience, I see atheists provoking it. We have freedom of religion in the U.S I don't see why everyone can't just respect that.

Do rape victims provoke it too?
Just curious.

Oh, you just went there. :)
Fact book

Ashmoria wrote:it worries me more when people who hate the government and dont think it can do a good job at anything get into power and start running things.

Self--Esteem wrote:No. I love smearing those people who evidently like their country blown by a nuke and who are too foolish to realise that middle-eastern terrorism is nothing to be fond of.

Novistranaya wrote:After the Civil War, the majority of Southerners were more than happy to accept defeat and acknowledge the fact that (though not immediately) blacks were going to have the same rights as them.

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:31 am

Galloism wrote:
Katganistan wrote: :shock:

8)

You know it, baby.

Remember to keep your fluids up

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:34 am

Zephie wrote:
Soheran wrote:
Zephie wrote:But from my experience, I see atheists provoking it.

:roll:

Atheists, after millenia of literally being told that we will justly suffer eternal torment for our beliefs, have finally, in a few cases, stopped being perfectly respectful of people's religious beliefs--and thus we are "provoking it"?

You are collectivizing it throughout history; I am talking about the present. The past is irrelevant.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:37 am

Cant believe nine people favored voting yes to expel her based on her beliefs. Just the heck is wrong with you?

She has refused to abide by the ethical code required by the school and the licensing authority. What the heck is wrong with being refused the degree under those circumstances?

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:38 am

If you're in a counseling program and willing to ignore what leading psychological associations say then yes, you should fail out. It would be like taking a degree in biology and refusing to read about evolution because you're a young Earth creationist. Except that in this case, she could do severe psychological damage to someone if she's given her degree and the right to be a counselor.

But then I also think that pharmacists who refuse to dispense medication because they disagree with it should be canned too.
Last edited by Dakini on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vandengaarde
Minister

Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vandengaarde » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:38 am

Soheran wrote:

Atheists, after millenia of literally being told that we will justly suffer eternal torment for our beliefs, have finally, in a few cases, stopped being perfectly respectful of people's religious beliefs--and thus we are "provoking it"?

I'm not even religious and I agree with Zephie. (this one time, never again!) I usually see atheists being the people who say "God is some floating invisible guy, why would you believe in him?" and baiting Christians/Muslims/whoever. The mods always ignore it because they're biased, but it doesn't change the facts.
When debating me or discussing something with me, remember five things:
1. I'm not moderate.
2. I'm not fascist/a nazi.
3. I'm conservative on social issues and liberal on economic issues.
4. I won't bother looking for six million sources for you.
5. I'm not always serious!
Also, read this!: A story written by a friend.

Magical Mystery Tour!
I should probably be marrying British East Pacific right now, since I love her and all, but nooooo. >>
Signature husband of KatBoo and Zeth Rekia.

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:38 am

Katganistan wrote:

She has refused to abide by the ethical code required by the school and the licensing authority. What the heck is wrong with being refused the degree under those circumstances?

'Professor Kat, I plagiarised my whole degree thesis from a book I found on the web, because I don't believe in academic integrity. Do I pass?'

Sebally-Orwitskia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebally-Orwitskia » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:38 am

Vervaria wrote:Image

Help! We are soo making up our persecution!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecutio ... present.29

Vervaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:39 am

Vandengaarde wrote:
Soheran wrote:

I'm not even religious and I agree with Zephie. (this one time, never again!) I usually see atheists being the people who say "God is some floating invisible guy, why would you believe in him?" and baiting Christians/Muslims/whoever. The mods always ignore it because they're biased, but it doesn't change the facts.

So you're saying the mods are all atheists?
Fact book

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General