NATION

PASSWORD

Hollywood Has Lied Again! Western Vs Eastern Martial Arts

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ancient and Holy Terra
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient and Holy Terra » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:06 pm

Honestly, I grew up in Japan, and the term essentially wasn't heard - though whether that was out of apathy or because it's a taboo, I cannot say.

That said, it's undoubtedly a racial slur in the West.

EDIT: Is this worth taking to another thread?
Last edited by Ancient and Holy Terra on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siromizu
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Siromizu » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:09 pm

Ancient and Holy Terra wrote:Honestly, I grew up in Japan, and the term essentially wasn't heard - though whether that was out of apathy or because it's a taboo, I cannot say.

That said, it's undoubtedly a racial slur in the West.

But apparently it only offends diaspora and hypersensitive P.C.-enthusiasts.

Ancient and Holy Terra wrote:EDIT: Is this worth taking to another thread?

Mayhaps.
Last edited by Siromizu on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What man is a man without honour?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:09 pm

I think if the internet ever got a hold of a time machine they'd just use it grab ancient warriors and make them fight in giant mayonnaise jar like captured bugs to settle internet debates like "knight vs samurai" and "ninja vs pirate."

Maybe the time machine will be absconded by some of the more reality divorced members of the internets and they'll waste all the jumps looking for Pickard and Kirk...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Ancient and Holy Terra
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient and Holy Terra » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:13 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Maybe the time machine will be absconded by some of the more reality divorced members of the internets and they'll waste all the jumps looking for Pickard and Kirk...

Think bigger.

Captain Benjamin Sisko vs. a T. rex with lightsabers for arms

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:17 pm

New Nicksyllvania wrote:And an unarmed, unarmoured man is going to get his ass beat in a melee with a knight no matter what mystical ninja skillz he has.

Not necessarily. Unbalance an armored knight and you can make relatively short work of him-that is, if you can get him down. There are several martial styles of combat designed to to just that.

Hilariously, the English didn't even have to go through the trouble of getting involved in Melee during the battle of Agincourt. The terribly muddy conditions literally sucked unbalanced and fallen knights into the ground, making it impossible to get up. The entire french army either drowned in their suits of armor, suffocated under other bodies, or had their throats slit by longbowmen.
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Siromizu wrote:
Ravea wrote:perhaps if a special mission called for extreme stealth

Even then, it would have been dark green (for better camouflage) or dark red (to hide bloodstains) rather than black.

Good point. Pure black stands out on a dark night.
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

Ancient and Holy Terra
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient and Holy Terra » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:29 pm

New Nicksyllvania wrote:According to the Oxford English Dictionary, "Jap" as an abbreviation for "Japanese" was in colloquial use in London around 1880.

Jap is only a racial slur in North America due to post-war guilt and propaganda taking it as its monosyllabic nature made for catchy slogans. That has since been taken up as being on the level of "nigger" by the Japanese-American community simply because of the butthurt caused by the camps. Regarding it as a slur when it was quite obviously utilised as a abbreviation is only cheapening the struggles of legitimate complaints against slurs. I suppose the Japanese electronic industry is rascism for making the JAP region zone.

I think we're now dealing with two separate issues. I don't think people are claiming that it was always derogatory, but rather that it is now considered pejorative simply because it falls into the same category as "Jerry" and "Kraut".

"Nip" is an incredibly insensitive term, yet it was derived the same way as "Jap" - a shortening of "Nippon"(-ese?)

Regardless of whether or not this term is historically pejorative, it has pretty clear racial connotations today in English-speaking countries. Ironically, according to Wikipedia the term "Jap" is considered acceptable in the English-speaking former colonies, such as Hong Kong and Singapore. I wonder whether these colonies' less-than-stellar experiences under Japanese occupation have anything to do with "Jap" being acceptable there, and nowhere else.
Last edited by Ancient and Holy Terra on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:30 pm

New Nicksyllvania wrote:Jap is only a racial slur in North America due to post-war guilt and propaganda taking it as its monosyllabic nature made for catchy slogans.

Regardless of the etymology of the word, the fact remains it is a racial slur. Might be a good idea to think twice before you use it regardless of your opinions of it.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:34 pm

Ancient and Holy Terra wrote:
Aggicificicerous wrote:Have you ever tried to fire a longbow while mounted on a horse?

They have. For over a thousand years.

Yabusame remains an essential part of Japan's cultural heritage, and it's a common sight at decent-sized Shinto shrines if you know when and where to look.

Interesting. That bow doesn't look as big or thick as an English longbow, but I wouldn't mind seeing if it can penetrate a knight's armour.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:43 pm

North Calaveras wrote:id have to say that because westerners were larger than easterners they had more brutish weapons and relied more on power while the smaller lighter guys of the east relied on speed.

Not very true, I own a fine example of a European sword in common use during the third crusade; its long, but its sharp, light, and well balanced, in fact its so well balanced it feels like an extension of the arms more than a weapon.

Too big to image.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Ancient and Holy Terra
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient and Holy Terra » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Aggicificicerous wrote:Interesting. That bow doesn't look as big or thick as an English longbow, but I wouldn't mind seeing if it can penetrate a knight's armour.

I wouldn't know; my school didn't offer Japanese archery as a club, and I think my sister's limited it to the older students only. It's beautiful to watch, however.

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:46 pm

SaintB wrote:
North Calaveras wrote:id have to say that because westerners were larger than easterners they had more brutish weapons and relied more on power while the smaller lighter guys of the east relied on speed.

Not very true, I own a fine example of a European sword in common use during the third crusade; its long, but its sharp, light, and well balanced, in fact its so well balanced it feels like an extension of the arms more than a weapon.

Too big to image.

That is the heart of the misconception. Weapons that weren't well balanced were worthless to any serious fighter, so weaponsmiths balanced them perfectly to improve their effectiveness. Counterweights in the hilt made it much easier to use than one would think.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
TOKYONI UNJUSTLY DELETED 19/06/2011 - SAY NO TO MOD IMPERIALISM
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Where's inda? Or Russa for that matter?

idot inda is asias gron and russa is its hat ok :palm:

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Brandenburg-Altmark wrote:
SaintB wrote:

Too big to image.

That is the heart of the misconception. Weapons that weren't well balanced were worthless to any serious fighter, so weaponsmiths balanced them perfectly to improve their effectiveness. Counterweights in the hilt made it much easier to use than one would think.

This I know, I was just providing an actual example. Some weapons you wanted to be less than perfectly balanced, for instance you want a hammer to have more weight to the top.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:54 pm

Militire wrote:Hi NS. Recently, I watched the movie Fearless. It pissed me off and made me draw paralels between that and other shows and films (Deadliest Warrior sometimes comes to mind) that constsantly destroy the reputation of Western armed and unarmed martial arts in the eyes of the last few generations at the beheadst of Eastern martial arts. It makes even the most trained western knight and soldiers look like ill trained barbarians who think that brute force will beat through anything and wearing a massive amount of(usualy badly made) armor will save them. They are also usualy arrogant or tragicaly self doubting. This is opposed to the fast, discplened, and extremly (and apparently justifibly) confident warriors of the Far East. This goes the same for weapons of each faction: Western bastard swords and Eastern Katana, and the such, as well as armors.What have, you, NS, to say about this. (PS. This is not remotely a rascial thing, so don't try and bring it up)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearless_(2006_film)
:palm:
Yeah except this is made in Hong Kong.

I thought someone would link the wikipedia article on the movie by now :blink:
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Ancient and Holy Terra
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient and Holy Terra » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:58 pm

Norstal wrote:
Militire wrote:Hi NS. Recently, I watched the movie Fearless. It pissed me off and made me draw paralels between that and other shows and films (Deadliest Warrior sometimes comes to mind) that constsantly destroy the reputation of Western armed and unarmed martial arts in the eyes of the last few generations at the beheadst of Eastern martial arts. It makes even the most trained western knight and soldiers look like ill trained barbarians who think that brute force will beat through anything and wearing a massive amount of(usualy badly made) armor will save them. They are also usualy arrogant or tragicaly self doubting. This is opposed to the fast, discplened, and extremly (and apparently justifibly) confident warriors of the Far East. This goes the same for weapons of each faction: Western bastard swords and Eastern Katana, and the such, as well as armors.What have, you, NS, to say about this. (PS. This is not remotely a rascial thing, so don't try and bring it up)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearless_(2006_film)
:palm:
Yeah except this is made in Hong Kong.

I thought someone would link the wikipedia article on the movie by now :blink:

That would have made too much sense. ;)

Your link is slightly broken, btw.

Orcoa
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:03 pm

I think we should not a have a debate on which styles are better, both are equally good for their own reasons.
Last edited by Orcoa on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Wolf Emperor!
This is the song I sing to those who screw with me XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXnFhnpEgKY
"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:11 pm

SaintB wrote:
SaintB wrote:

Too big to image.

This I know, I was just providing an actual example. Some weapons you wanted to be less than perfectly balanced, for instance you want a hammer to have more weight to the top.

True, but even then it is well balanced to provide it's desired effect. Swords are balanced to be easier to swing for long periods of time, hammers to provide the most centripetal force to the head for a bone shattering impact. Spears are balanced to be held for long periods of time in a relatively stationary position.
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:49 am

Ancient and Holy Terra wrote:I think we're now dealing with two separate issues. I don't think people are claiming that it was always derogatory, but rather that it is now considered pejorative simply because it falls into the same category as "Jerry" and "Kraut".

What about "Brit", which seems to be fairly common usage in the USA but that I certainly don't hear used by people from our side of the pond and would personally consider to be an objectionable diminuitive of "Briton"?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:38 am

Daistallia 2104 wrote:I guess the suit of Japanese maille and plate that I got to wear at a museum in Kyoto didn't exist.
I think the point is that compared to contemporary European armour, Japanese armour was... Unimpressive. Hence why, as soon as it became possible, the Japanese staretd to import European full plate (Well, those who could afford it. Luxury item). Some additions to make it stylistically fit... Bam. Basically untouchable to Japanese weaponry, unliek the poorer sods who couldn't afford transcontinental imports.

Brandenburg-Altmark wrote:If the Katana was so useless, how did they absolutely crush the Mongols that managed to land on their shores?
Being beaten to shit by a better armed, better disciplined opponent despite actually enjoying a numerical advantage, not to mention fighting on one's hometurf, and being saved solely by virtue of bad weather fucking up one's invader twice isn't 'Crushing' by any stretch of the imagination, I'm afraid.

You'll also find that japanese defence expenditures went up dramatically after the invasions, because japan proceeded to fortify its coast - these expenditures proved to be a key reason for the collapse of the then-ruling regime.

And why did they fortify their coast, instead of relying on their awesomely superior, mobile samurai forces?

Because these forces had been near helpless against the mongols when fighting an open battle.

Of course, pretty much everyone was helpless when fighting the mongols in open battle (Though, by the time Japan got hit, the Mongols were considerably less impressive than they'd used to be). But, yeah...

UNIverseVERSE wrote:You have a longbow. The other person does not.

I hope more obviousness is not needed
You'd be surprised. Even the (Superior) European longbow formations were perfectly crushable by lance-armed cavalry formations - as long as terrain and weather didn't slow them down to a crawl.

The likes of Crecy & Agincourt were exceptions, not the rule.
Last edited by Arthropoda Ingens on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bright and noble bugs in space. Occasionally villainous.
Hataria: Unjustly Deleted

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:42 am

Aggicificicerous wrote:
Risottia wrote:About the usual samurai vs knight debate, here:
http://www.thearma.org/essays/knightvs.htm

The knight wins. Deadliest warrior did an episode on this, and the samurai couldn't even beat a Spartan from B.C. Simply put, the samurai has no answer to a shield, and the knight's armour is of superior quality.

I also think that the knight has some advantage over the samurai of the same period.
Expecially about the sword. The European swords are far more versatile in combat.
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. Egli/Lui.
"Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee. Should I restart the bugger?
SUMMER, BLOODY SUMMER!

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:45 am

Risottia wrote:
Aggicificicerous wrote:

The knight wins. Deadliest warrior did an episode on this, and the samurai couldn't even beat a Spartan from B.C. Simply put, the samurai has no answer to a shield, and the knight's armour is of superior quality.

I also think that the knight has some advantage over the samurai of the same period.
Expecially about the sword. The European swords are far more versatile in combat.

The main difference comes from individual skill. There's a much lower margin of error in a duel between two Samurai than in a battle involving Knights. Europeans had more equipment than the average Samurai, and the Samurai's average level of skill in personal combat doesn't create a meaningful difference.
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:48 am

Risottia wrote:
Aggicificicerous wrote:

The main difference comes from individual skill.

As usual. That's why I said "some advantage".

There's a much lower margin of error in a duel between two Samurai than in a battle involving Knights.

I don't think I understood you point entirely there. :unsure:
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. Egli/Lui.
"Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee. Should I restart the bugger?
SUMMER, BLOODY SUMMER!

Aelosia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aelosia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:53 am

What I am sure is that in a pitched battle, at least the first, the knights would massacre a group of samurais. Shock cavalry tactics.
My ratings in the top 100:
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Largest Defense Forces
Aelosia is ranked 13th in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced
Aelosia is ranked 20th in the world for Most Cultured
Aelosia is ranked 24th in the world for Most Subsidized Industry
Aelosia is ranked 25th in the world for Fastest-Growing Economies
Aelosia is ranked 38th in the world for Largest Public Transport Department
Aelosia is ranked 42th in the world for Largest Publishing Industry
Aelosia is ranked 51th in the world for Largest Information Technology Sector
Aelosia is ranked 61th in the world for Largest Arms Manufacturing Sector

Factbook so far.

Rambhutan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 28, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rambhutan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:26 am

Not quite sure why a thread about Fearless has turned into a discussion about knights fighting samurais. Fearless is based on the story of Huo Yuanjia who founded the Chin Woo Association to promote Chinese martial arts - his life is also the basis for Bruce Lee's Fists of Fury. Huo Yuanjia answered a challenge issued by a Russian wrestler who insulted the Chinese. The wrestler apologised when Huo Yuanjila accepted the challenge. Huo also accepted the challenge from a boxer, but again the boxer left town without the fight taking place.

In other words the fights never actally took place, the story is more about tension between China and Japan than about whether oriental martial arts are better than occidental ones.

That said why would anybody expect that level of accuracy in a film - a martial arts film where the fights don't happen, who would pay to see that?

Deadliest Warrior is a piece of nonsense to put it politely. I loathe it.

Martial arts develop within a context and to compare ones from different parts of the world at different times is ridicuculous. There is no intrinsic reason that would make eastern or western martial arts better than the other. If you look at old Europen martial arts books like the Codex Wallerstein or the Fechtbuchs (apologies to Germans if that isn't the plural) of Talhoffer or even the ancient Egyptian wall paintings at Beni Hasan you will see exactly the same kinds of holds and throws that you can learn in a jiu-jitsu class today.
Last edited by Rambhutan on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are we there yet?

Overherelandistan wrote: I chalange you to find a better one that isnt even worse

Ermarian
Minister

Founded: Jan 11, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ermarian » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:28 am

Militire wrote:Hollywood Has Lied Again

Newsflash of the Century: Movies are Unrealistic.
Last edited by Ermarian on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Endless Empire of Ermarian | Jolt Archives | Encyclopedia Ermariana | ( -6.38 | -8.56 ) | Luna is best pony.
"Without deeper reflection one knows from daily life that one exists for other people - first of all for those upon whose smiles and well-being our own happiness is wholly dependent, and then for the many, unknown to us, to whose destinies we are bound by the ties of sympathy." -Einstein
"Is there a topic for discussion here, or did you just want to be wrong in public?" -Ifreann

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General