NATION

PASSWORD

Is calling someone African American racist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:52 pm

Almajoya wrote:
Only half-black. Try again.

I suppose we could, however, Youll find yourself hard pressed to find someone who is not in the United States....

Black, White, or otherwise...

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:52 pm

Tiesabre wrote:Also, this should be brought up too. People of Mixed descent, I'll stick with black-white mixed descent since it's more obvious.

Even being black myself, I never know what's the right way to refer to someone of mixed descent. Saying "Oh he's mixed." Sounds extremely offensive to me, almost like calling someone a mutt, but I'm not mixed so I really wouldn't know.

And another issue that presents itself is that many white people don't accept a mixed person as white and many black people don't consider a mixed person black. Course you could argue some mixed people appear very white, and claim white, and a white people generally don't notice but black people sometimes can figure them out. And I reason I believe there's such an issue there is because of the rather hostile relationship white people and black people share.

I'm a mutt and proud of it. American first, but my heritage is from mainland Italy, Sicily, and Puerto Rico. In my extended family we've got people of German and English extraction, Filipinos, Maltese... we're most shades from coffee to cream. ;)

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:52 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:snip

So, basically, you are ignoring mine, and Bluth's arguments, and debating similar, but different points, and pretending you are arguing our points. Fine.

Though, before you use it incorrectly again, you may want to look up the word "inherent" before you use it incorrectly as per it's current usage, rather than it's inherent meaning.

:rofl:

Nice try.

Does "inherent" have a meaning or not?

If not, end of conversation. No words have meaning. We can't communicate.

If so, why doesn't "nigger"?

If on the third hand, you are claiming you and Bluth are merely making a distinction a word's definition and its "inherent" meaning because definitions can change, I have three questions: (1) how is that fucking relevant?; (2) isn't that point a little petty and niggling?; and (3) how do you square that minor point with Bluth's "the meaning is in the intent of the user" argument?

Again, the bait & switch you pulled with Bluth.

I never said words don't have meaning. I never said any such thing. I said words don't have inherent meaning. This is because meanings can change. But you're probably right, no word ever means anything different than it ever has. :roll:
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:54 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
2. If words have no inherent meanings, again, how do we know what they mean?

Through mutual agreement--not through anything inherent to the word itself. If our understanding of the meaning attached to the word differs, then we are simply unable to communicate effectively.

The message that is sent by a speaker is the substance he intended.

Actually, your two statements contradict each other. The message intended by the speaker is the one he intends to send. The message sent by the speaker depends, based on your own admission, on mutual agreement. Otherwise there is no communication.

Regardless, "nigger" by general agreement is a racist prejorative. That is what it means to the average user, the dictionary ... almost everyone with the possible exception of theoretically ignorant.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:55 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Tiesabre wrote:Also, this should be brought up too. People of Mixed descent, I'll stick with black-white mixed descent since it's more obvious.

Even being black myself, I never know what's the right way to refer to someone of mixed descent. Saying "Oh he's mixed." Sounds extremely offensive to me, almost like calling someone a mutt, but I'm not mixed so I really wouldn't know.

And another issue that presents itself is that many white people don't accept a mixed person as white and many black people don't consider a mixed person black. Course you could argue some mixed people appear very white, and claim white, and a white people generally don't notice but black people sometimes can figure them out. And I reason I believe there's such an issue there is because of the rather hostile relationship white people and black people share.

I'm a mutt and proud of it. American first, but my heritage is from mainland Italy, Sicily, and Puerto Rico. In my extended family we've got people of German and English extraction, Filipinos, Maltese... we're most shades from coffee to cream. ;)

Same here. We should start a Mutt Supremacy Movement. *nod*
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:55 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:
So, basically, you are ignoring mine, and Bluth's arguments, and debating similar, but different points, and pretending you are arguing our points. Fine.

Though, before you use it incorrectly again, you may want to look up the word "inherent" before you use it incorrectly as per it's current usage, rather than it's inherent meaning.

:rofl:

Nice try.

Does "inherent" have a meaning or not?

If not, end of conversation. No words have meaning. We can't communicate.

If so, why doesn't "nigger"?

If on the third hand, you are claiming you and Bluth are merely making a distinction [between] a word's definition and its "inherent" meaning because definitions can change, I have three questions: (1) how is that fucking relevant?; (2) isn't that point a little petty and niggling?; and (3) how do you square that minor point with Bluth's "the meaning is in the intent of the user" argument?

Again, the bait & switch you pulled with Bluth.

I never said words don't have meaning. I never said any such thing. I said words don't have inherent meaning. This is because meanings can change. But you're probably right, no word ever means anything different than it ever has. :roll:

I repeat my prior questions:
(1) how is that fucking relevant?
(2) isn't that point a little petty and niggling?
(3) how do you square that minor point with Bluth's "the meaning is in the intent of the user" argument?

To which I will add the following: do you admit the "meaning" of nigger is a racist prejorative?
Last edited by The Cat-Tribe on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I quit (again).
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Maurepas wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:To paraphrase D.L. Hughley: blacks would be happy to trade -- you can call them nigger or whatever you want and they get to run the world.

I hate myself for this....But, I think we've met our end of the bargain:

Who's that man?

• Vote for The NationStates Razzies 2009
• Any similarities with reality is a mere coincidence
• No mods were harmed during the making of this posting
• Protégez les enfants: ne leur faites pas respirer votre commentaires`
• Quand tous les dégoûtés seront partis, il ne restera plus que les dégoûtants
• Please report me at the Moderation Section because I'm spoiling your day

Almajoya
Minister

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Almajoya » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:57 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

Same here. We should start a Mutt Supremacy Movement. *nod*

I'm wit' it.
Factbook/Getting Started/Roleplaying Tips/Thread Assistance Index/The Mary Sue Test
(Melisma: 17 | Ciaran: 3 | Astaire: 25)

Did you miss me?
08.29.05//01.17.10//85:16:25

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:57 pm

Hairless Kitten II wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:To paraphrase D.L. Hughley: blacks would be happy to trade -- you can call them nigger or whatever you want and they get to run the world.

I hate myself for this....But, I think we've met our end of the bargain:

Who's that man?

Some nigger.
I quit (again).

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:58 pm

Hairless Kitten II wrote:Who's that man?

President Barack Obama, also known as, "The Leader of the Free World"

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:00 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Actually, your two statements contradict each other. The message intended by the speaker is the one he intends to send. The message sent by the speaker depends, based on your own admission, on mutual agreement.

And if there's no mutual agreement, then there is no communication, because the listener is interpreting a message other than the one that was actually sent.

Regardless, "nigger" by general agreement is a racist prejorative. That is what it means to the average user, the dictionary ... almost everyone with the possible exception of theoretically ignorant.

And when those people use the word "nigger," there is no racist meaning.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Haraq wrote:Its not racist and it should be used to refer to recent immigrants to the country in question. A couple of generations back.

Also 'white americans' founded the country and made up the vast majority of the population up to the 1930's so should be considered regular americans.

Well, let's see then.

Native Americans were here before the first European set foot on these shores.. I guess they don't count as regular Americans -- even though they literally built skyscrapers in cities like NY.

Blacks were used as a means of production for donkey's years. Yeah, that makes them less American than the Europeans who came later, who are, according to you, "regular" Americans.

Asians have been here since 1750 or so -- forgetting history? Look up "transcontinental railroad" and the gold rush.

The selective sense of history is astounding.

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Maurepas wrote:

There's a sex bar around the corner that's called 'The Free World', so he's the CEO of that joint?

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:02 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Some nigger.

Lol, although I posted that under the premise of meeting Hughley's deal...

I dont think Ill be using my newly earned ability...I find I have too much respect for the President than that...

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:02 pm

Hairless Kitten II wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

There's a sex bar around the corner that's called 'The Free World', so he's the CEO of that joint?

When they get around to needing a Bailout, of course, :p

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:05 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Actually, your two statements contradict each other. The message intended by the speaker is the one he intends to send. The message sent by the speaker depends, based on your own admission, on mutual agreement.

And if there's no mutual agreement, then there is no communication, because the listener is interpreting a message other than the one that was actually sent.

And when those people use the word "nigger," there is no racist meaning.

I'm done arguing with your suppositions about the alleged meaning of a term contrary to its definition as it is used by an imaginary person in a purely theoretical situation that defies reality.
I quit (again).

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:08 pm

A black friend of me sometimes shouts to other black ones, which he doesn't know, 'nigger!'.

At first, they turn around and look angry, when they see that a black one shouted the word they start laughing.

Weird people :)

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:11 pm

Hairless Kitten II wrote:A black friend of me sometimes shouts to other black ones, which he doesn't know, 'nigger!'.

At first, they turn around and look angry, when they see that a black one shouted the word they start laughing.

Weird people :)

A close friend of mine is an African-American who uses the term "nigger" copiously -- and usually as a racial prejorative. I object to her doing so as well. :eyebrow:
I quit (again).

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Ascelonia wrote:There are caucasian African Americans....

Like Charlize Theron. ;)

Nice catch. I was going to jump on you for Cameron Diaz.

Of course, "caucasian" isn't much more useful that white, black, or African-American.

What do people think they are defining with these terms? Not any scientific race. Not skin color. Not necessarily place of birth. :blink: :blink:
I quit (again).

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:17 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Katganistan wrote:
Ascelonia wrote:There are caucasian African Americans....

Like Charlize Theron. ;)

Nice catch. I was going to jump on you for Cameron Diaz.

Of course, "caucasian" isn't much more useful that white, black, or African-American.

What do people think they are defining with these terms? Not any scientific race. Not skin color. Not necessarily place of birth. :blink: :blink:

Ive always wondered why they even need to ask, wouldnt not asking race on applications, etc., go a long way towards healing racism in this country?

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:20 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:how do you square that minor point with Bluth's "the meaning is in the intent of the user" argument?

To which I will add the following: do you admit the "meaning" of nigger is a racist prejorative?

Well, I'll try to clear it up, but let's wait and see you deliberately misconstrue my argument again to save face.

Meaning is entirely based on intent. English wouldn't exist as a language without words changing meaning. This happens for a variety of reasons, but the point is that the intended meaning changes. If words have inherent meaning, as you seem to somehow believe, then no words would ever change meaning, the meaning would be inherent. There would only be one language, because all words would have this phatnom inherent mening. My argument is, I believe, identical to Bluth's, so far as I am aware.

That is one meaning of the word "nigger" certainly. However, the fact that there are other meanings/usages proves that words do not have inherent meaning, and that an arbitrary vocal assignment for the point of conversation has no set meaning, good or bad.

Generally, of course the word "nigger" is seen as a racist pejortive, but no one has argued that (if you can contradict that, please do). However, this is still far from anything close to "inherent", or even universal, again, some black people call each other "niggers" in a non-pejorative sense, which by itself totally, and entirely defeats any point you tried, to make, however, you are free to ignore that evidence against you as you have been doing.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:23 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:Of course, "caucasian" isn't much more useful that white, black, or African-American.

I heard that "caucasian" was a derivative of white Jews from the Caucasus Mountains, or some such. I've always taken that as the root, though I don't recall the source, and as I was pretty young at the time, I never questioned the validity of said source. Agreed, though, that it is pretty un-useful.

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:31 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:how do you square that minor point with Bluth's "the meaning is in the intent of the user" argument?

Well, I'll try to clear it up, but let's wait and see you deliberately misconstrue my argument again to save face.

Meaning is entirely based on intent. English wouldn't exist as a language without words changing meaning. This happens for a variety of reasons, but the point is that the intended meaning changes. If words have inherent meaning, as you seem to somehow believe, then no words would ever change meaning, the meaning would be inherent. There would only be one language, because all words would have this phatnom inherent mening. My argument is, I believe, identical to Bluth's, so far as I am aware.

That is one meaning of the word "nigger" certainly. However, the fact that there are other meanings/usages proves that words do not have inherent meaning, and that an arbitrary vocal assignment for the point of conversation has no set meaning, good or bad.

Generally, of course the word "nigger" is seen as a racist pejortive, but no one has argued that (if you can contradict that, please do). However, this is still far from anything close to "inherent", or even universal, again, some black people call each other "niggers" in a non-pejorative sense, which by itself totally, and entirely defeats any point you tried, to make, however, you are free to ignore that evidence against you as you have been doing.

*sigh*

You've correctly seized on my mistaken use of the word "inherent" when all I meant to convey was the idea that words do have meanings separate from the subjective intent of the user. Mea culpa.

But that to say words don't have unchanging or universal meanings, doesn't mean that words don't have definitions. The definition of "nigger" is a racist prejorative. That is all I have been trying to say. Others have said, "no, it's just a word. Only the speaker can be racist."

If this thing has all been a misunderstanding based on the definition of the word "inherent," I apologize to all. If, however, anyone wishes to contend that the meaning of "nigger" isn't racist, I stand by my argument that it is.
Last edited by The Cat-Tribe on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I quit (again).

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:45 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:You've correctly seized on my mistaken use of the word "inherent" when all I meant to convey was the idea that words do have meanings separate from the subjective intent of the user. Mea culpa.

Thank you. Your admission that words can be used incorrectly, or without proper knowledge proves Bluth point, that you argued at first, and which lead to this whole argument. Bluth stated something to the effect that it is possible for someone to use the word "nigger" in an 'incorrect' fashion, without any negative connotations, because said person did not fully understand the nuance of the word. In this same manner did you use the word "inherent" and your admission of incorrectness wins Bluth the debate.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General