NATION

PASSWORD

Why can't we all just compromise?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kormanthor
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Why can't we all just compromise?

Postby Kormanthor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:27 am

United Russian State wrote:The west can't be compromised with.

I don't think that was one of the chioces was it? :blink:
Founder of the Nelchizedeke Cluster; Intergalactic Trade Hub ( ITH ) Member; Inextant Member of ESUS; Member of the USF

Intergalactic Trade Hub ( ITH

Fact Page:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3316&p=92197#p92197

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:28 am

Twenty Years wrote:Well if you want to compromise of pro choice and pro life lets all just buy machine guns and shoot random people on the streets!!!! Killing adults and killing babies are the same thing people!!!

Peoples reason for having pro-choice (& why there dumb reasons):
1st- "My friend was raped and now shes prego!" So just becuase something bad happened to the mom means that the baby has to pay for it??? ya that make sense...
2nd- "I can support the child" thats like sayin im too poor so i'm goin to kill it... AND PEOPLE THERE THINGS LIKE ADOPTION there are alot of couples that can't have children while idiots kill babies like its goin out of style.
3rd- "im only 16 and my parents will kick me out if i have to support a baby" here we go again PEOPLE, MILLIONS OF COUPLES CANNOT GET PREGO AND YOU THINK THAT THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ADOPTION!!!!!!!!!!! and why should 16 year old being having sex in the first place??????????????

Pro-Choice is a killing dumb stupid thing that should never be compromised!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My IQ just dropped a bit.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Getbrett
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Getbrett » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:28 am

Twenty Years wrote:Well if you want to compromise of pro choice and pro life lets all just buy machine guns and shoot random people on the streets!!!! Killing adults and killing babies are the same thing people!!!

1st- "My friend was raped and now shes prego!" So just becuase something bad happened to the mom means that the baby has to pay for it??? ya that make sense...
2nd- "I can support the child" thats like sayin im too poor so i'm goin to kill it... AND PEOPLE THERE THINGS LIKE ADOPTION there are alot of couples that can't have children while idiots kill babies like its goin out of style.
3rd- "im only 16 and my parents will kick me out if i have to support a baby" here we go again PEOPLE, MILLIONS OF COUPLES CANNOT GET PREGO AND YOU THINK THAT THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ADOPTION!!!!!!!!!!! and why should 16 year old being having sex in the first place??????????????

Pro-Choice is a killing dumb stupid thing that should never be compromised!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't take you seriously because "prego" is an intrinsically funny word. Prego. Hahaha.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:30 am

Getbrett wrote:

I can't take you seriously because "prego" is an intrinsically funny word. Prego. Hahaha.

Prego makes pretty good sauce, though.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:31 am

South East Europe wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
South East Europe wrote:Votes for women could have reached a compromise, Some women can vote but not all. Just like special treatment for blacks could have reached a compromise, Only Blacks who contribute to society can get preferential treatment.

those are pretty sucky compromises.

and like the old doctrine of "seperate but equal" too dependent on the imperfect (racist/sexist) local official to decide who makes the grade and who doesnt.

I am vehemantly against "seperate but equal", I am just saying that such a compromise could be worked out not that I would agree with such a compromise.

oh

well then

a sucky compromise doesnt defend your position well. it would be better to propose a compromise that you think of as the best possible choice.
whatever

Hamilay
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamilay » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:31 am

Where's that comic about killing half of all kittens and puppies when you need it?

South East Europe
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby South East Europe » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:31 am

Getbrett wrote:
South East Europe wrote:
I have the right word. Blacks can call me "Faggot", "Freak", "Shemale", etc... in my school and when it's reported, they don't even get a slap on the wrist. But, if I were to call a black person a "Nigger", then I would be expelled. That's prefential treatment if I ever saw it.

Oh man, your world view really does revolve around your persecution complex, doesn't it? It's pathetic.

Excuse me, I'm talking about personal experiences not things in my mind. So, my world view is from how I have been treated. Your right, it is pathetic to judge all people from one group because of how the majority of people I have met from that group have treated me. I don't believe I am being persecuted, I know I am being persecuted. And you don't even know one thing about persecution, gays have it way better off than I do. Everyone bends over backwards for gay marriage but stands hard against equal employment protection of transsexuals. Straights, Gays, and Bisexuals are for the most part Transphobic, this too is based on personal experience.
I'm a transgirl in her mid-twenties with multiple disabilities, my name is Maria and my pronouns are female ones.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:32 am

Galloism wrote:
Getbrett wrote:

It does. And I wish people like that would just come right out and say what they mean, don't you?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:33 am

South East Europe wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:
South East Europe wrote:So since there is a compromise for nearly everything that people make a serious issue, I ask you this, why can't we all just compromise?

Well, you could start by compromising on your extremist believe that there is nearly always a compromise. ;)

It's an extremist belief? Why? Because I don't entirely agree with you but am willing to compromise?

It's intended as self-referential humor. :) That is, could you "moderate" your belief by saying that people can compromise only half the time/on half the issues they believe in. That's a compromise between "compromise is (nearly) always possible" and "we must always try to get our own way", right? :)

Oh, you want a serious answer. Ok... people who feel strongly about something -- anything, really -- might say that saying "we can (nearly) always compromise" is an indication of relativist beliefs -- there is no right and wrong -- which is often taken as an extreme position. Others would point out that things that seem like compromises actually embrace extreme principles held by one side or the other in a dispute.

For example, during the run-up to the US Civil War, there were people who advocated a compromise: gradually eliminating slavery, perhaps by buying slaves from their owners. Many abolitionists thought this was abominable, because it accepted the notion that people could be property. So, in that sense, the apparent compromise of gradual elimination of slavery by purchase rather than the extremes of yes slavery or no slavery is actually an extreme position by accepting the "extremist" view that people can property.

Does that help?
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:33 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Galloism wrote:
Getbrett wrote:I can't take you seriously because "prego" is an intrinsically funny word. Prego. Hahaha.

It does. And I wish people like that would just come right out and say what they mean, don't you?

I agree we should never destroy bottles of Prego just because. It should be used on a nice spaghetti.

South East Europe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South East Europe » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:34 am

Ashmoria wrote:
South East Europe wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:those are pretty sucky compromises.

and like the old doctrine of "seperate but equal" too dependent on the imperfect (racist/sexist) local official to decide who makes the grade and who doesnt.

I am vehemantly against "seperate but equal", I am just saying that such a compromise could be worked out not that I would agree with such a compromise.

oh

well then

a sucky compromise doesnt defend your position well. it would be better to propose a compromise that you think of as the best possible choice.

I would not agree with such a compromise but I would not oppose it. I would compromise, thus I would be neutral about it. So not what I think of being the best choice, what we all reach in a compromise.
I'm a transgirl in her mid-twenties with multiple disabilities, my name is Maria and my pronouns are female ones.

United Russian State
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:34 am

Kormanthor wrote:

Let me put it in this way than.

Most people from western nations (NATO) have the thinking "I am right, you are worng. Fuck off." They cannot compromise with their own (look at Amercia) or others from differnt cultures.
Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
State of War: Chernobyl-Pripyat
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information
Join Pan-Slavic Union State!
My long term plan is to contribute to globally warming as much as possible so my grandchildren can live in a world that is a few degrees warmer and where there is new coast land being created every day.- The Scandinvans

The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions-Omnicracy

NO ONE is poor and suffering in the US- they're pretending that while rollicking in welfare money-Pythria

Kormanthor
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kormanthor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:35 am

Getbrett wrote:
Kormanthor wrote:
South East Europe wrote:Here is my dilemma!
Pro-"Life" or Pro-"Choice"? There is a compromise is there not?

Lets take one of these subjects for Instance; I am Definately ProLife, where is the compromise there? Please explain your reasoning here.

Hypothetically, abort the anti-choicer, not the fetus.

That wasn't very nice was it? :(

South East Europe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South East Europe » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:37 am

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
South East Europe wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:Well, you could start by compromising on your extremist believe that there is nearly always a compromise. ;)

It's an extremist belief? Why? Because I don't entirely agree with you but am willing to compromise?

It's intended as self-referential humor. :) That is, could you "moderate" your belief by saying that people can compromise only half the time/on half the issues they believe in. That's a compromise between "compromise is (nearly) always possible" and "we must always try to get our own way", right? :)

Oh, you want a serious answer. Ok... people who feel strongly about something -- anything, really -- might say that saying "we can (nearly) always compromise" is an indication of relativist beliefs -- there is no right and wrong -- which is often taken as an extreme position. Others would point out that things that seem like compromises actually embrace extreme principles held by one side or the other in a dispute.

For example, during the run-up to the US Civil War, there were people who advocated a compromise: gradually eliminating slavery, perhaps by buying slaves from their owners. Many abolitionists thought this was abominable, because it accepted the notion that people could be property. So, in that sense, the apparent compromise of gradual elimination of slavery by purchase rather than the extremes of yes slavery or no slavery is actually an extreme position by accepting the "extremist" view that people can property.

Does that help?

Well, I'm just saying it would be easier to compromise. And yes that does help a lot, thank you. Well, it would depend on the persons definition of a compromise.

Getbrett
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Getbrett » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:37 am

South East Europe wrote:
Getbrett wrote:
South East Europe wrote:
I have the right word. Blacks can call me "Faggot", "Freak", "Shemale", etc... in my school and when it's reported, they don't even get a slap on the wrist. But, if I were to call a black person a "Nigger", then I would be expelled. That's prefential treatment if I ever saw it.

Oh man, your world view really does revolve around your persecution complex, doesn't it? It's pathetic.

Excuse me, I'm talking about personal experiences not things in my mind. So, my world view is from how I have been treated. Your right, it is pathetic to judge all people from one group because of how the majority of people I have met from that group have treated me. I don't believe I am being persecuted, I know I am being persecuted. And you don't even know one thing about persecution, gays have it way better off than I do. Everyone bends over backwards for gay marriage but stands hard against equal employment protection of transsexuals. Straights, Gays, and Bisexuals are for the most part Transphobic, this too is based on personal experience.

All of this may well be true. However, it has nothing to do with what you're proposing in the opening post. Nothing. The fact that you brought it back to this topic, even when it's largely unrelated, reeks of a persecution complex. Make your argument without appealing to irrelevant emotion and perhaps I'll listen.

Anti-Mod Duck
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Anti-Mod Duck » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:38 am

I would like to debate your indifference to debates, SEE.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:38 am

As far I have yet to hear any answer to Twenty Years, so (even though I am pro-life) I'll do it. Backstreet abortions are always going to happen, and these are often dangerous and result in both mother and child dying. Surely it is better to have legal abortion- if only as a discouraged failsafe- where the abortion can be conducted in a clean and safe environment?

Also China (not a West/NATO state) does not compromise with its own, nor Myanmar, Vietnam, Laos, North Korea, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Yemen, Egypt, most of Africa, Venezuela, etc.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Kormanthor
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kormanthor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:39 am

United Russian State wrote:[Let me put it in this way than.

Most people from western nations (NATO) have the thinking "I am right, you are worng. Fuck off." They cannot compromise with their own (look at Amercia) or others from differnt cultures.

Lets not turn this into an America bashing party OK? :shock:
Last edited by Kormanthor on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hamilay
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamilay » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:39 am

United Russian State wrote:
Kormanthor wrote:

Fixed.

South East Europe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South East Europe » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:39 am

Kormanthor wrote:

As a person born in the USA, I have this to say: We are wrong, You are right. Most European medical breakthroughs are far more advanced then American ones, most Americans just choose to reject medical and scientific fact.

Anti-Mod Duck
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Anti-Mod Duck » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:40 am

I am VERY pro-choice. You, sir, are my sworn nemesis.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:41 am

Kormanthor wrote:
United Russian State wrote:[Let me put it in this way than.

Lets turn this into an America bashing party OK? :shock:

Actually, it's a NATO bashing party apparently.

So, apparently, most people in Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom, and United States have the thinking of "I am right, you are worng. Fuck off."

Now, the ultimate question is, what does "worng" mean?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:42 am

Pro-"Life" or Pro-"Choice"? There is a compromise is there not? Aye, No partial birth abortions. Some, however, will not accept any abortions.
Anti-Homosexual "Marriage" or Pro-Homosexual "Marriage"? There is a compromise is there not? No. The only possible argument against this violates the separation of church and state.
Socialism or Capitalism? Fascism or Communism? There is a compromise is there not? No. I will not accept a psuedo-fascist or psuedo-Capitalist state.
Unisex Restrooms or Binary Restrooms? There is a compromise is there not? Allow both?
Fiscal Responsibility or Liberal Spending? There is a compromise. No. Massive debt is not something we should incur in a time of relative peace.
Environment Conservation or Environmental Preservation or Environmental Destruction? There is a compromise. Meh.
Dangerous Substances or No Dangerous Substances? There is a compromise. ...
Healthcare Reform or Anti-Healthcare Reform? There is a compromise. Yeah, Healthcare reform guided but not controlled by the government.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

South East Europe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South East Europe » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:43 am

Getbrett wrote:
South East Europe wrote:
Getbrett wrote:Oh man, your world view really does revolve around your persecution complex, doesn't it? It's pathetic.

All of this may well be true. However, it has nothing to do with what you're proposing in the opening post. Nothing. The fact that you brought it back to this topic, even when it's largely unrelated, reeks of a persecution complex. Make your argument without appealing to irrelevant emotion and perhaps I'll listen.

It is related to you saying that what blacks have isn't preferential treatment, it's equal treatment. I was disproving a lie that you seem to believe. I'm not appealing to irrelevant emotion, I am simply saying that blacks do get preferential treatment and there should have been a compromise.

Brogavia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:43 am

Kormanthor wrote:

Because its the truth. We are right, you are wrong.
Playing NS since Jan of 2006

1010102, Unjustly Deleted

Agent of the Timegate, if you expose me I'll kill you

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General