NATION

PASSWORD

Liberal: Dumb Fool or Intelligent-Minded Person?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Liberal: Dumb Fool or Intelligent-Minded Person?

Postby Cameroi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:13 am

ThinkPads wrote:There are certainly intelligent, if ignorant on some fundamental points, liberals. Off the top of my head, Helen Thomas did a great job attacking the Obama Administration's utter and total lack of transparency and controlled situations; I consider her to be highly intelligent. I can't think of anything good to say about her, but SecState Clinton isn't stupid either.

i'd say the same thing about conservatives, though off the top of my head i can't think of any of their names.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

United Russian State
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:13 am

Farnhamia wrote:
United Russian State wrote:oh I am so sorry for not spelling America the right away. I should be taken outside to get a bullet in my head for this grave mistake. How dare I not spell every word in English perfectly. Please forgive me oh great ones.

You're forgiven. If I were conversing with you in your native language and made a mistake, I hope you would correct me.

I would respect the fact you were not speaking my native language and wouldn't correct you unless if it is something VERY far off. If you spelled Россия (Russia) worng but in a way that is clearly you trying to say Russia in Russian I wouldn't feel the need to correct you, unless if you already said you wanted to be corrected if you were spelling it worng.
Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
State of War: Chernobyl-Pripyat
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information
Join Pan-Slavic Union State!
My long term plan is to contribute to globally warming as much as possible so my grandchildren can live in a world that is a few degrees warmer and where there is new coast land being created every day.- The Scandinvans

The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions-Omnicracy

NO ONE is poor and suffering in the US- they're pretending that while rollicking in welfare money-Pythria

The Northern Baltic
Envoy

Founded: Sep 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The Northern Baltic » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:14 am

Russia Untied wrote:
... What kind of Liberals have you talked to? A life is a life. And no one, not the government, not other people, or anyone has the ability to determine which life is worth saving and which isn't. End of story.]

Thats how communsim works though. Don't go thinking they save people who cannot work becuase of a sickness. They only chosse to save those who will be able to work for the common good. Communism dosent give a damn about a life if it dosent have a postive role for the common good. In communsim if you do not work, than you do not eat.

I honestly don't think we're talking about the same Communism. Your Communism sounds like Stalinism and my Communism sounds like Marxist Communism. They're completely different things. And Stalinism isn't actually Communism.

Economic Left/Right: -8.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

"It's Putin's daughter. Her breasts can probably type whilst her hands are busy shooting Siberian Peasants." -Georgism

South East Europe
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby South East Europe » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:16 am

Conservatives and Liberals, I digress. All people on one fundamentalist view-point or the other are fundamentalist hypocritical liars.
I'm a transgirl in her mid-twenties with multiple disabilities, my name is Maria and my pronouns are female ones.

United Russian State
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:18 am

The Northern Baltic wrote:
Russia Untied wrote:
... What kind of Liberals have you talked to? A life is a life. And no one, not the government, not other people, or anyone has the ability to determine which life is worth saving and which isn't. End of story.]

Thats how communsim works though. Don't go thinking they save people who cannot work becuase of a sickness. They only chosse to save those who will be able to work for the common good. Communism dosent give a damn about a life if it dosent have a postive role for the common good. In communsim if you do not work, than you do not eat.

I honestly don't think we're talking about the same Communism. Your Communism sounds like Stalinism and my Communism sounds like Marxist Communism. They're completely different things. And Stalinism isn't actually Communism.

The only way Marxist Communism would work is if Humans had no emotion. All other forms lead to the type of communism goverment end like it did for Soviet Union.
Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
State of War: Chernobyl-Pripyat
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information
Join Pan-Slavic Union State!
My long term plan is to contribute to globally warming as much as possible so my grandchildren can live in a world that is a few degrees warmer and where there is new coast land being created every day.- The Scandinvans

The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions-Omnicracy

NO ONE is poor and suffering in the US- they're pretending that while rollicking in welfare money-Pythria

The Northern Baltic
Envoy

Founded: Sep 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The Northern Baltic » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:22 am

United Russian State wrote:The only way Marxist Communism would work is if Humans had no emotion. All other forms lead to the type of communism goverment end like it did for Soviet Union.

Then what of Catalunya? Communism worked there until they were back-stabbed by the Soviet Union.

Economic Left/Right: -8.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

"It's Putin's daughter. Her breasts can probably type whilst her hands are busy shooting Siberian Peasants." -Georgism

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:56 am

Parthenon wrote:
Soheran wrote:
Parthenon wrote:Fiscal restraint, small government, and transparency is the conservative platform.

Bush, Reagan, Nixon?

I don't think a definition of "conservative" that blatantly contradicts the policies of the politicians conservatives have actually supported and elected is a very meaningful or useful one.

You are making an all too common mistake in associating conservatism with republicanism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_scotsman

Honestly I can't believe nobody pointed this out yet.
Last edited by UnhealthyTruthseeker on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:57 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:It wasn't me that said it - I'm just pointing out YOUR error.

I made no error.

My post with the list echoed GnI's reply to you about liberals caring only about petty nonsense. I made no mention of parties, you're the one who brought them in. I simply listed some advancements in American society that were passed by liberals over conservation objections.

I was just pointing out. Mostly because I think Teddy Roosevelt was a genius. I can rarely resist an opportunity to shows his achievements.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

No true scotsman
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby No true scotsman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:17 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Soheran wrote:I don't think a definition of "conservative" that blatantly contradicts the policies of the politicians conservatives have actually supported and elected is a very meaningful or useful one.

You are making an all too common mistake in associating conservatism with republicanism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_scotsman

Honestly I can't believe nobody pointed this out yet.

*rises from grave, muttering something about never getting a rest*

Did someone call me?

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:58 pm

Parthenon wrote:The primary difference between liberals and conservatives is that most liberals care about petty nonsense rather than the larger picture

So concern for people who for whatever reason can't pay for the things they need and then something like health care or fuel oil to heat their homes is petty nonsense.

Parthenon wrote:have a smug sense of entitlement,

What exactly do I think I'm entitled to other than what the constitution guarantees I'm entitled to?

Parthenon wrote:and have no pride in their nation

Now you're just getting ridiculous.

Parthenon wrote:When is the last time you have seen a lib waving an American flag,

Last Saturday.

Parthenon wrote:hell, when is the last time you have seen a conservative make an argument about how we should elect someone to "make the world like us"? It just doesn't happen. Fiscal restraint, small government, and transparency is the conservative platform. Anyone arguing to the contrary is building a mighty fine strawman.

I think you just built yourself a mighty fine strawman. Hey that's so easy to say!
Last edited by SaintB on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General