NATION

PASSWORD

WAR!! What do you think

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jagalonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:45 pm

North Suran wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
North Suran wrote:
UberWeegeeia wrote:Well, this sums it all up:
"Humanity. GODDAMNIT, WE LOVE VIOLENCE!"

Us, and every other animals. Even apes wage wars - albeit ones on a smaller scale.

As your mother undoubtedly said to you at least once, and if all the other animals were jumping off a cliff, would you do that, too? :roll:

Show me an example of animals doing just that.

EDIT: Spoiler'd for animal rights people.......
Last edited by Jagalonia on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:
Computer Land wrote:I don't want someone hacking my fridge :meh:

fridge.setTempC(100);
sysout("I'm melting! I'm meeeeelting! Oh what a world, what world!");
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
I am a Magnificent Titan who likes to Devour Heroes
All tech.

The Cygnus System
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cygnus System » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:48 pm

Nothing bothers me more than a shortsighted pinhead who thinks the world would be a better place without war. Yes, war is one of the most terrible things that can happen to a country or a people. But without conflict, society would be so slow moving that we would not live in the world we live in today. The United States would still be in the great depression, in fact it wouldn't even be the United States at all. Medical advancements would be brought back decades. And modern conveniences such as phones, automobiles, and airplanes would be nowhere near as advanced as they are now. War is always something that will happen, it drives human history like a motor drives a car.

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:49 pm

Jagalonia wrote:
North Suran wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
North Suran wrote:

Us, and every other animals. Even apes wage wars - albeit ones on a smaller scale.

As your mother undoubtedly said to you at least once, and if all the other animals were jumping off a cliff, would you do that, too? :roll:

You will note the plurals. One cow falling off a cliff - with another cow, knowing better, not following suit - doesn't lend credence to Farn's comparison.
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:50 pm

Jagalonia wrote:
North Suran wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
North Suran wrote:

That cow was clearly pushed.

And please spoiler that image for all teh animal rights people.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:53 pm

Strykla wrote:Well, say you're the poorest person on the planet, but you don't know that. You've lived on a small, uninhabited island since you were born. You don't know there are people that are so much richer than you. To you, it is life. Now translate that into what Greed&Death is saying.

That doesn't make your life any "better" in real terms, only your satisfaction with it. And that is like comparing eternal war. If you were the richest person in the worls and you don't know there are people much poorer than you, does that make your money a bad thing for you. Would it be better for you if you were poor (assuming that riches are a good thing, seeing as we are comparing it to peace, leave out the philosophical "is money a good thing" stuff).

Jagalonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:55 pm

North Suran wrote:
Jagalonia wrote:
North Suran wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
North Suran wrote:

You will note the plurals. One cow falling off a cliff - with another cow, knowing better, not following suit - doesn't lend credence to Farn's comparison.

Yeah I can find a better one, Hold on a sec.......

That picture is totaly real and happened.....I need to find a farm with a cliff and my camera.....maybe a few firecrackers or something.....
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:

fridge.setTempC(100);
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
All tech.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:00 pm

Jagalonia wrote:
North Suran wrote:
Jagalonia wrote:
North Suran wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
North Suran wrote:

That picture is totaly real and happened.....I need to find a farm with a cliff and my camera.....maybe a few firecrackers or something.....

Exactly my point. And the cows ... how do we know that other cow isn't abut to take the leap? Cows are not real swift, it could just be thinking, "Wow, that was cool. I wonder, if I back up and get a good run, maybe I can land all the way across the road."
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

North Suran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:06 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Jagalonia wrote:
North Suran wrote:
Jagalonia wrote:
North Suran wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
North Suran wrote:

Exactly my point.

Cartoon sheep is your point?

Farnhamia wrote:And the cows ... how do we know that other cow isn't abut to take the leap? Cows are not real swift, it could just be thinking, "Wow, that was cool. I wonder, if I back up and get a good run, maybe I can land all the way across the road."

Or it could just be thinking, "Damn, that was pretty stupid. I think I'll just go and eat some grass, instead." The point is, we don't know. Hence why it doesn't work as an example. And really, your comparison is flawed as a concept, since there are many things that all animals do (breathe, for instance).
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Jagalonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:06 pm

I HAVE FOUND ANOTHER ONE!!!

More cows.

If you like cows while they're alive, don't open the spolier.

If you like steak, turn on the BBQ as you open the spoiler.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:

fridge.setTempC(100);
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
All tech.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Y'know, it could just be thinking "moo".

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Jagalonia wrote:I HAVE FOUND ANOTHER ONE!!!

More cows.

If you like cows while they're alive, don't open the spolier.

If you like steak, turn on the BBQ as you open the spoiler.

They're obviously just sleeping. <.<

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm shocked at how we went from war to cows.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Jagalonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:15 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:I'm shocked at how we went from war to cows.

Its truly amazing isn't it? ;')
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:

fridge.setTempC(100);
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
All tech.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:23 pm

North Suran wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Jagalonia wrote:
North Suran wrote:
Jagalonia wrote:
North Suran wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
North Suran wrote:

Exactly my point.

Cartoon sheep is your point?

Farnhamia wrote:And the cows ... how do we know that other cow isn't abut to take the leap? Cows are not real swift, it could just be thinking, "Wow, that was cool. I wonder, if I back up and get a good run, maybe I can land all the way across the road."

Or it could just be thinking, "Damn, that was pretty stupid. I think I'll just go and eat some grass, instead." The point is, we don't know. Hence why it doesn't work as an example. And really, your comparison is flawed as a concept, since there are many things that all animals do (breathe, for instance).

My post was mocking the one - why, look, it's yours! - that said, "Us, and every other animals. Even apes wage wars - albeit ones on a smaller scale." The point is that we ought to try to rise above things that other animals do, and not just shrug it off. I will admit that humans have certainly "improved" version of the war that apes wage: we invented "glory" and "dulce et decorum" and all the hot air that goes into justifying the slaughter of other people. Thanks, I'll stand over with General Sherman and say that the glory of war is all moonshine. Humanity being as it is, it's unavoidable. Just please don't insult either of our intelligences by trying to put a pretty face on it.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Golden Shovel
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Golden Shovel » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:25 pm

It's an ethnic/national pissing contest.

North Suran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:26 pm

Farnhamia wrote:My post was mocking the one - why, look, it's yours! - that said, "Us, and every other animals. Even apes wage wars - albeit ones on a smaller scale." The point is that we ought to try to rise above things that other animals do, and not just shrug it off.

That wasn't even what I was asserting. I was merely pointing out that humans are not the only animals to wage war, as was being insinuated by the post I responded to.

Farnhamia wrote:I will admit that humans have certainly "improved" version of the war that apes wage: we invented "glory" and "dulce et decorum" and all the hot air that goes into justifying the slaughter of other people. Thanks, I'll stand over with General Sherman and say that the glory of war is all moonshine.

You'll stand with an Army General in your opposition to war?

Farnhamia wrote:Humanity being as it is, it's unavoidable. Just please don't insult either of our intelligences by trying to put a pretty face on it.

How is pointing out that war is a ubiquitous aspect of nature putting a pretty face on it?

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:26 pm

The Golden Shovel wrote:It's an ethnic/national pissing contest.

sigging.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

North Suran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:27 pm

Then why is it present in populations without ethnicities or nationalities?

Jagalonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:30 pm

North Suran wrote:

There's no such thing as a person without an ethnicity or nationality, think before you post.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:

fridge.setTempC(100);
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
All tech.

North Suran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:32 pm

Jagalonia wrote:
North Suran wrote:

There's no such thing as a person without an ethnicity or nationality, think before you post.

As aforementioned, war is a regular aspect of ape populations. Apes, of course, lacking ethnicities and nationalities. Furthermore, what about the wars that predate the creation of nationalities and which were fought between people belonging to the same ethnic group?

Jagalonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:37 pm

They still had "Nations" in a sense, even if it was just a 5-person tribe, it could still be considered a nation at the time.

But NOW, we have nations, everyone has evolved into these nations, we ALL have an ethnicity, and we ALL have a nationality, it is unavoidable.

I would also like to say that apes are hardly a good comparison, we have the same "Parent" species, (As stated in Darwins theory of evolition.) but we have devloped much more than them. putting apes beside humans in this sense is a poor comparison.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:

fridge.setTempC(100);
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
All tech.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:37 pm

War is a inevitable part of human life - without which we wont be who we are today. War is a condition which brings out best in humans, unites nation's citizens together and breaks down the class and ethnic barriers between people from a nation. It also shorten the time for technological advancement.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jagalonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:38 pm

Great Nepal wrote:War is a inevitable part of human life - without which we wont be who we are today. War is a condition which brings out best in humans, unites nation's citizens together and breaks down the class and ethnic barriers between people from a nation. It also shorten the time for technological advancement.

Agreed 100%
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:

fridge.setTempC(100);
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
All tech.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:40 pm

Great Nepal wrote:War is a inevitable part of human life - without which we wont be who we are today. War is a condition which brings out best in humans, unites nation's citizens together and breaks down the class and ethnic barriers between people from a nation. It also shorten the time for technological advancement.

It can also do the the exact opposite of what you've mentioned.

Germoaustria
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Germoaustria » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:40 pm

War should be avoided, America should be as Swiss as she can.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General