NATION

PASSWORD

US gasoline prices may finally adjust to a reasonable figure

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24571
Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:22 pm

The problem is the decentralization of America- how am I supposed to get to town? It's 4 miles away, and I'm not walking, nor do I want to pay $7 of gas. Does the train stop at X street, where my friend Y lives Z miles away?

I can get off the road anytime, but that's just not feasible in a train system, nor is it particularly feasible to set up a subway system, even if it is between cities and suburbs.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

User avatar
NERVUN
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 29463
Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Right-wing Utopia

Postby NERVUN » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Lackadaisical2 wrote:
NERVUN wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
NERVUN wrote:I just fueled up today, it was 126 yen/l. (Around and about $5 per gal).

And before you guys say anything about how Japan has wonderful public transportation (It does), I live in rural Japan. The store we go to is 20 minutes down the road, my school is 30 minutes away (26 km, or about 16 miles). But, see, Japan believes in smaller cars with much better fuel standards than the US.

It can be done and it just MIGHT get people out of their gas guzzlers.

I can't afford the payments on my smaller, much better fuel standard car.

I can't afford $7/gallon gas on top of that.

Ya know, the amazing thing is, America did so before...

when was this?

Gas shortage. Notice how during the 70's when the Japanese cars took off American automakers (grudgingly) switched from making aircraft carriers into smaller cars?
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 49220
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:23 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:
NERVUN wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
NERVUN wrote:I just fueled up today, it was 126 yen/l. (Around and about $5 per gal).

And before you guys say anything about how Japan has wonderful public transportation (It does), I live in rural Japan. The store we go to is 20 minutes down the road, my school is 30 minutes away (26 km, or about 16 miles). But, see, Japan believes in smaller cars with much better fuel standards than the US.

It can be done and it just MIGHT get people out of their gas guzzlers.

I can't afford the payments on my smaller, much better fuel standard car.

I can't afford $7/gallon gas on top of that.

Ya know, the amazing thing is, America did so before...

when was this?

Gas shortage. Notice how during the 70's when the Japanese cars took off American automakers (grudgingly) switched from making aircraft carriers into smaller cars?

yes but until we have trains run on the roads that wont help the situation.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
The Corparation
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33898
Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Corporate Police State

Postby The Corparation » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:23 pm

Orlkjestad wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Why not go with the price they pay in africa, the middle east, or south/central america?

I've been to Colombia several times.

Its the same as in the USA.

Look up world gas prices. Venezul recently had $0.12 gas
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Prop 65, CA Health & Safety
This Cell is intentionally blank.

User avatar
Maurepas
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36403
Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:25 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Orlkjestad wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Why not go with the price they pay in africa, the middle east, or south/central america?

I've been to Colombia several times.

Its the same as in the USA.

Look up world gas prices. Venezul recently had $0.12 gas

Chavez '12, for $0.12 gas!

I'd vote for it, :lol2:

User avatar
Orlkjestad
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5280
Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orlkjestad » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:25 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Orlkjestad wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Why not go with the price they pay in africa, the middle east, or south/central america?

I've been to Colombia several times.

Its the same as in the USA.

Look up world gas prices. Venezul recently had $0.12 gas

That is Venezuela, which is extremely left wing. Venezuela is also a major oil producer.

Colombia, as I said, is like the USA; doesn't have much oil (at least didn't tap it), ain't socialist, and quite friendly with the US.
Last edited by Orlkjestad on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Reformed Republican Union Of Orlkjestad
Comrade-President Leon Palantine
Vice President Arcturo Tarentum
Secretary Of Foreign Affaires Marco Valentia
Storefronts: They're all under construction, please go away
Alliances: Forever alone
Other Threads: The Severan Faith
Alert Levels
DEFCON: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Terrorism Alert Levels: [Low] Guarded Elevated High Severe

"Although we see the world through different eyes, we share the same idea of paradise." -The Pet Shop Boys in Se A Vida E

User avatar
Brogavia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5271
Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:25 pm

Caninope wrote:The problem is the decentralization of America- how am I supposed to get to town? It's 4 miles away, and I'm not walking, nor do I want to pay $7 of gas. Does the train stop at X street, where my friend Y lives Z miles away?

I can get off the road anytime, but that's just not feasible in a train system, nor is it particularly feasible to set up a subway system, even if it is between cities and suburbs.


Its called tuck and roll.

NERVUN wrote:Gas shortage. Notice how during the 70's when the Japanese cars took off American automakers (grudgingly) switched from making aircraft carriers into smaller cars?


I miss the big old boats.
Playing NS since Jan of 2006

1010102, Unjustly Deleted

Agent of the Timegate, if you expose me I'll kill you

User avatar
Allbeama
Senator
 
Posts: 4367
Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:26 pm

Panzerjaeger wrote:
Allbeama wrote:
Consaria wrote:I think if this happens, the Tea Party will finally start a revolution.

Which will result in total chaos and the Second American Civil War, due to the fact that so few of us here in the US can actually agree on anything. There would be at least 3 to 5 different factions involved.

Hell yeah Balkanization! I lead the Ustaše-esque movement!

Sign me up for the militant anarcho-communist atheists!
Last edited by Allbeama on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

User avatar
NERVUN
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 29463
Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Right-wing Utopia

Postby NERVUN » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:26 pm

greed and death wrote:
NERVUN wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:
NERVUN wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
NERVUN wrote:I just fueled up today, it was 126 yen/l. (Around and about $5 per gal).

And before you guys say anything about how Japan has wonderful public transportation (It does), I live in rural Japan. The store we go to is 20 minutes down the road, my school is 30 minutes away (26 km, or about 16 miles). But, see, Japan believes in smaller cars with much better fuel standards than the US.

It can be done and it just MIGHT get people out of their gas guzzlers.

I can't afford the payments on my smaller, much better fuel standard car.

I can't afford $7/gallon gas on top of that.

Ya know, the amazing thing is, America did so before...

when was this?

Gas shortage. Notice how during the 70's when the Japanese cars took off American automakers (grudgingly) switched from making aircraft carriers into smaller cars?

yes but until we have trains run on the roads that wont help the situation.

If the higher prices force Americans to demand smaller, more fuel efficient cars... It happened with the last gas shock as well. Gas hit $4 and SUV sales plunged. suddenly Toyota and Honda couldn't keep up with demand for hybrids.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

User avatar
Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24571
Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:27 pm

Brogavia wrote:
Caninope wrote:The problem is the decentralization of America- how am I supposed to get to town? It's 4 miles away, and I'm not walking, nor do I want to pay $7 of gas. Does the train stop at X street, where my friend Y lives Z miles away?

I can get off the road anytime, but that's just not feasible in a train system, nor is it particularly feasible to set up a subway system, even if it is between cities and suburbs.


Its called tuck and roll.

NERVUN wrote:Gas shortage. Notice how during the 70's when the Japanese cars took off American automakers (grudgingly) switched from making aircraft carriers into smaller cars?


I miss the big old boats.


I fail to see how stopping fires that are on you has anything to do with the situation. :P
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

User avatar
South-Western Dakota
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 163
Founded: Nov 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby South-Western Dakota » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:27 pm

Brogavia wrote:
Caninope wrote:The problem is the decentralization of America- how am I supposed to get to town? It's 4 miles away, and I'm not walking, nor do I want to pay $7 of gas. Does the train stop at X street, where my friend Y lives Z miles away?

I can get off the road anytime, but that's just not feasible in a train system, nor is it particularly feasible to set up a subway system, even if it is between cities and suburbs.


Its called tuck and roll.

NERVUN wrote:Gas shortage. Notice how during the 70's when the Japanese cars took off American automakers (grudgingly) switched from making aircraft carriers into smaller cars?


I miss the big old boats.


Ahhh the glory days when cars had fins :) A friend of mine has a very old caddy in that style, and I am jealous
Political Alignment : Minarchist
Economic +7.38 (Right) Social +2.21(Right)
The illustrious Don of South-Western Dakota,
Gavino Lombardi

"A man chooses, a slave obeys."

User avatar
Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9856
Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Allbeama wrote:
Panzerjaeger wrote:
Allbeama wrote:
Consaria wrote:I think if this happens, the Tea Party will finally start a revolution.

Which will result in total chaos and the Second American Civil War, due to the fact that so few of us here in the US can actually agree on anything. There would be at least 3 to 5 different factions involved.

Hell yeah Balkanization! I lead the Ustaše-esque movement!

Sign me up for the militant anarcho-communist atheists!

Hell yeah we got ourselves a war son. :lol:
Friendly Neighborhood Fascist™
ФАШИЗМ БЕЗГРАНИЧНЫЙ И КРАСНЫЙ
Caninope wrote:Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Timothy McVeigh casts... Pyrotechnics!

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

New Kereptica wrote:Fascism: because people are too smart nowadays.

User avatar
Brogavia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5271
Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:33 pm

Caninope wrote:I fail to see how stopping fires that are on you has anything to do with the situation. :P


That's stop drop and roll.

Tuck and roll is where you protecting your head and curling into a ball as you jump off, so you roll instead of just hitting the ground like a brick.
Playing NS since Jan of 2006

1010102, Unjustly Deleted

Agent of the Timegate, if you expose me I'll kill you

User avatar
Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24571
Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:33 pm

Panzerjaeger wrote:
Allbeama wrote:
Panzerjaeger wrote:
Allbeama wrote:
Consaria wrote:I think if this happens, the Tea Party will finally start a revolution.

Which will result in total chaos and the Second American Civil War, due to the fact that so few of us here in the US can actually agree on anything. There would be at least 3 to 5 different factions involved.

Hell yeah Balkanization! I lead the Ustaše-esque movement!

Sign me up for the militant anarcho-communist atheists!

Hell yeah we got ourselves a war son. :lol:


I'll side with the South. Because they're the ones who have to initiate the war. :)
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 49220
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:33 pm

NERVUN wrote:
greed and death wrote:
NERVUN wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:
NERVUN wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
NERVUN wrote:I just fueled up today, it was 126 yen/l. (Around and about $5 per gal).

And before you guys say anything about how Japan has wonderful public transportation (It does), I live in rural Japan. The store we go to is 20 minutes down the road, my school is 30 minutes away (26 km, or about 16 miles). But, see, Japan believes in smaller cars with much better fuel standards than the US.

It can be done and it just MIGHT get people out of their gas guzzlers.

I can't afford the payments on my smaller, much better fuel standard car.

I can't afford $7/gallon gas on top of that.

Ya know, the amazing thing is, America did so before...

when was this?

Gas shortage. Notice how during the 70's when the Japanese cars took off American automakers (grudgingly) switched from making aircraft carriers into smaller cars?

yes but until we have trains run on the roads that wont help the situation.

If the higher prices force Americans to demand smaller, more fuel efficient cars... It happened with the last gas shock as well. Gas hit $4 and SUV sales plunged. suddenly Toyota and Honda couldn't keep up with demand for hybrids.

Toyota is actually in a slump for demand of all of their cars ATM.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Brogavia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5271
Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:35 pm

greed and death wrote:Toyota is actually in a slump for demand of all of their cars ATM.


That's because everyone found out Toyotas are death traps.
Playing NS since Jan of 2006

1010102, Unjustly Deleted

Agent of the Timegate, if you expose me I'll kill you

User avatar
Gilea
Envoy
 
Posts: 318
Founded: Dec 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gilea » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:35 pm

I'd need a new car to afford $7 a gallon gas. 70 dollars a gallon is redonkulous in AZ. We lack a decent transit system, we're prone to heat stroke, and any public transport we try to have or want eventually gets tossed. Sorta why here in my town he have rails and lines but no trolleys, a crappy bus system, and you can't find a decent fucking bus station without two giving you heat stroke or trying in summer. Our money gets sucked into Phoenix and tourism. *Jazz hands*

We desperately need better public transit, but, since I drive, I accept being hosed. My SUV goers 2 weeks on one tank to work. :D I'd just want a more fuel efficient car to help make gas cheaper.
The New Gilean Factbook | Gilean Embassy Programme | Gil's Art Depository
I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic fucking hatreds! And it makes the world a lot easier to sort out. - George Carlin

User avatar
South Norwega
Senator
 
Posts: 3981
Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:35 pm

Caninope wrote:The problem is the decentralization of America- how am I supposed to get to town? It's 4 miles away, and I'm not walking, nor do I want to pay $7 of gas. Does the train stop at X street, where my friend Y lives Z miles away?

I can get off the road anytime, but that's just not feasible in a train system, nor is it particularly feasible to set up a subway system, even if it is between cities and suburbs.

4 miles is quite easy on bicycle.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 49220
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:36 pm

Brogavia wrote:
greed and death wrote:Toyota is actually in a slump for demand of all of their cars ATM.


That's because everyone found out Toyotas are death traps.

not really a trap as a trap stays still, the Toyota takes you to your firey doom.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24571
Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:37 pm

Brogavia wrote:
greed and death wrote:Toyota is actually in a slump for demand of all of their cars ATM.


That's because everyone found out Toyotas are death traps.


Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

User avatar
Objectivist Aynrandia
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 172
Founded: Feb 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Objectivist Aynrandia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Rolling squid wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Rolling squid wrote:About time. Maybe that will force some changes, force us to actually build a decent nation-wide public transport network, as well as reviving the inner city trains.

You forget this is the US we are talking about.
When faced with a 7 dollar a gallon tax, The solution will be violence not, wait for next election.


True. So implement a gradual tax, say fifty cents/gallon a year, and use the revenues to build a national high speed rail system. Provide categorical grants to cities so they can build city-suburb rail systems. The point is, we as a country need to be weaned off oil and onto public transportation, and the only way I can see that happening is through higher fuel costs.


It would require more than that. It would require a complete rebuilding of American communities. The American suburb is simply not designed to allow any mode of transport other than private automobiles. They are built with the assumption that everyone will drive everywhere. Any public transport system that could accommodate the majority of residents in these suburbs would be ridiculously expensive. In most American suburbs, there is simply no feasible way to go to work, go to the store, etc. if you do not have a car.

Even if you were to build rail systems from the suburbs to the cities, it would still leave many people with a commute that they must drive. For example, I live in the New York metro region. Public transit use is higher in this area than any other metropolitan area in the country. If you live in the suburbs and want to go to the city, public transport is a fantastic option. If you want to go anywhere OTHER than the city, you basically have to drive. "All roads lead to Rome." Or in this case, all public transport.

Eventually, the world WILL begin to run out of oil and Gasoline WILL go to $7 per gallon on market forces alone w/o any taxes at all. I hope that by then, we have begun to build fewer McMansions and more communities where you can actually shop and work near where you live. Market forces will eventually get us there, but I fear there will be a lot of pain along the way.

Fortunately, I am in the process right now of buying an apartment very close to where I work. Close enough that I can commute by bike without much difficulty. Unfortunately, not everyone has that luxury.

User avatar
Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9856
Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:43 pm

Caninope wrote:
Brogavia wrote:
greed and death wrote:Toyota is actually in a slump for demand of all of their cars ATM.


That's because everyone found out Toyotas are death traps.


Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

:rofl: :bow:
Friendly Neighborhood Fascist™
ФАШИЗМ БЕЗГРАНИЧНЫЙ И КРАСНЫЙ
Caninope wrote:Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Timothy McVeigh casts... Pyrotechnics!

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

New Kereptica wrote:Fascism: because people are too smart nowadays.

User avatar
NERVUN
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 29463
Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Right-wing Utopia

Postby NERVUN » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:43 pm

greed and death wrote:
NERVUN wrote:
greed and death wrote:
NERVUN wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:
NERVUN wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
NERVUN wrote:I just fueled up today, it was 126 yen/l. (Around and about $5 per gal).

And before you guys say anything about how Japan has wonderful public transportation (It does), I live in rural Japan. The store we go to is 20 minutes down the road, my school is 30 minutes away (26 km, or about 16 miles). But, see, Japan believes in smaller cars with much better fuel standards than the US.

It can be done and it just MIGHT get people out of their gas guzzlers.

I can't afford the payments on my smaller, much better fuel standard car.

I can't afford $7/gallon gas on top of that.

Ya know, the amazing thing is, America did so before...

when was this?

Gas shortage. Notice how during the 70's when the Japanese cars took off American automakers (grudgingly) switched from making aircraft carriers into smaller cars?

yes but until we have trains run on the roads that wont help the situation.

If the higher prices force Americans to demand smaller, more fuel efficient cars... It happened with the last gas shock as well. Gas hit $4 and SUV sales plunged. suddenly Toyota and Honda couldn't keep up with demand for hybrids.

Toyota is actually in a slump for demand of all of their cars ATM.

Gas prices also have dropped down.

But when it was over $100 a barrel? Oh yeah.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

User avatar
Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24571
Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:48 pm

Panzerjaeger wrote:
Caninope wrote:
Brogavia wrote:
greed and death wrote:Toyota is actually in a slump for demand of all of their cars ATM.


That's because everyone found out Toyotas are death traps.


Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

:rofl: :bow:


I give you permission to sig it.

Oh and: viewtopic.php?p=1915116&sid=55ac916754dfd96afd9d01b55e20af9f#p1915116

Enjoy.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

User avatar
Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24571
Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:48 pm

Brogavia wrote:
Caninope wrote:I fail to see how stopping fires that are on you has anything to do with the situation. :P


That's stop drop and roll.

Tuck and roll is where you protecting your head and curling into a ball as you jump off, so you roll instead of just hitting the ground like a brick.


But I like bricks! :(
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Amaseia, Andsed, Bortslovakia, Duvniask, Estanglia, Fahran, Fartsniffage, Google [Bot], Grinning Dragon, Heloin, Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth, Kapitalstan, Loben The 2nd, Maineiacs, Menassa, MSN [Bot], Nakena, Nanatsu no Tsuki, Pacomia, Perchan, Professor Irwin Corey, Thermodolia, West Leas Oros 2, Window Land, Xuloqoia, Zixu

Advertisement

Remove ads