NATION

PASSWORD

US gasoline prices may finally adjust to a reasonable figure

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Rolling squid wrote:About time. Maybe that will force some changes, force us to actually build a decent nation-wide public transport network, as well as reviving the inner city trains.

You forget this is the US we are talking about.
When faced with a 7 dollar a gallon tax, The solution will be violence not, wait for next election.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:28 pm

Person012345 wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:I can't afford $7 per gallon gas.

I doubt many people in the US can.

We do it fine, what's so different about the US?

Currently, I pay $382.50/month for my share of the rent. If I need to fill up my truck every week (it has a 24 gallon tank), it will cost $168/week at $7/gallon. So I'd be paying $672/month for gas (or 1.76 times what I pay a month in rent). Those 2 bills wouldn't leave me with enough money for food, electricity, internet/phone, clothes, auto insurance, auto upkeep, etc (my monthly income is about $1362 right now). I actually have less bills than many other people, and I still couldn't afford $7/gallon.

Now, I've never traveled out of the US, maybe your overall cost of living is lower.
Last edited by Gun Manufacturers on Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:28 pm

Rolling squid wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Panzerjaeger wrote:
Maurepas wrote:We don't have a public transport system like those countries. If gas really got that high, I think there'd be violence tbh, hell, I'd consider joining it, that'd be it for me, I couldn't afford to make it to the city, that means no work, no food, no nothing, >_>

Exactly thus screwing tons of people who have to drive to cities in order to work. Excellent idea! Destroy the economy completely by making it impossible for the workers to go to work!

And I know what they'd say, "Move to the city", and the idea that I could afford an apartment in the city is even more laughable.

If I could afford that, I'd already be there.

Where do you live? Most places I know of, a house in the suburbs in much more expensive than renting an apartment in the city.

Unfortunately, we used to have great cost-of-living, but, Insurance Companies are some of the worst scumbags on the face of the earth, it's one of the primary reasons I wanted them to put them outta business with that Healthcare bill, after the Storm, they've skyrocketed their prices on everyone down here.

Meaning, that out in the woods, you don't have to pay as much as that guy who owns the apartment complex, and he compensates this by charging you more.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:29 pm

greed and death wrote:
Rolling squid wrote:About time. Maybe that will force some changes, force us to actually build a decent nation-wide public transport network, as well as reviving the inner city trains.

When faced with a 7 dollar a gallon tax, The solution will be violence not, wait for next election.

Fortunately, I have faith the GOP will pull through on this one, and obstruct the hell out of it, it's one of the reasons I like to keep them around.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Chrobalta wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:If the price starts getting too high, I suspect we'll start seeing a lot of people making their own alcohol based fuel.

And by that you mean walking around drunk? ;)

No, I mean that since gasoline engines can burn alcohol, people may start distilling their own auto fuel.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:32 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Chrobalta wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:If the price starts getting too high, I suspect we'll start seeing a lot of people making their own alcohol based fuel.

No, I mean that since gasoline engines can burn alcohol, people may start distilling their own auto fuel.

And we thought Moonshining could be dangerous. :lol:
Friendly Neighborhood Fascist™
ФАШИЗМ БЕЗГРАНИЧНЫЙ И КРАСНЫЙ
Caninope wrote:Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Timothy McVeigh casts... Pyrotechnics!

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

New Kereptica wrote:Fascism: because people are too smart nowadays.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:32 pm

Rolling squid wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Panzerjaeger wrote:
Maurepas wrote:We don't have a public transport system like those countries. If gas really got that high, I think there'd be violence tbh, hell, I'd consider joining it, that'd be it for me, I couldn't afford to make it to the city, that means no work, no food, no nothing, >_>

Exactly thus screwing tons of people who have to drive to cities in order to work. Excellent idea! Destroy the economy completely by making it impossible for the workers to go to work!

And I know what they'd say, "Move to the city", and the idea that I could afford an apartment in the city is even more laughable.

If I could afford that, I'd already be there.

Where do you live? Most places I know of, a house in the suburbs in much more expensive than renting an apartment in the city.

A house in a rural area is cheaper then both though.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

L3 Communications
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby L3 Communications » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:32 pm

I fail to see how $7/gallon is "reasonable".
The Corporate Conglomerate of L3 Communications
L3 Corporate Factbook - L3 Embassy/Consulate Programme - L3 Broadcasting Corporation - L3 Communications - Global Armaments

- Member of The Conglomerate
- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA
Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -4.46

New Nicksyllvania wrote:WA is jew infested tyranny that does not understand freedom and 0% taxation

Lyras wrote:Thirdly, the inclusion of multiple penetration aids (such as flares, chaff, false-target balloons and lubricant)...

Brogavia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:32 pm

Person012345 wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Person012345 wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:

You have to drive everywhere. There is no public transportation in many places, and in those places that DO have public transport, it usually sucks.

Actually, I believe the same can be said for rural parts of the UK.

But I accept the point that it's bigger may have an effect.

Public transit does not work in rural areas, period. It works in Europe because the countries or more densely packed and smaller.

Rolling squid wrote:About time. Maybe that will force some changes, force us to actually build a decent nation-wide public transport network,

That would actually be more expensive than $7 dollar/gallon gas.
Playing NS since Jan of 2006

1010102, Unjustly Deleted

Agent of the Timegate, if you expose me I'll kill you

L3 Communications
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby L3 Communications » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:33 pm

Maybe we'll just have riots and burning down buildings, eh? My idea is just as far-fetched as yours, and considering the makeup of the US and it's size in general, you won't be seeing any sort of public transport outside the major cities for quite some time.
The Corporate Conglomerate of L3 Communications
L3 Corporate Factbook - L3 Embassy/Consulate Programme - L3 Broadcasting Corporation - L3 Communications - Global Armaments

- Member of The Conglomerate
- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA
Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -4.46

New Nicksyllvania wrote:WA is jew infested tyranny that does not understand freedom and 0% taxation

Lyras wrote:Thirdly, the inclusion of multiple penetration aids (such as flares, chaff, false-target balloons and lubricant)...

Rolling squid
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:34 pm

greed and death wrote:

True. So implement a gradual tax, say fifty cents/gallon a year, and use the revenues to build a national high speed rail system. Provide categorical grants to cities so they can build city-suburb rail systems. The point is, we as a country need to be weaned off oil and onto public transportation, and the only way I can see that happening is through higher fuel costs.
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

Brogavia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:35 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Chrobalta wrote:

You'd have to gut the O2 sensor in the exhaust, rip out the computer and make everything mechanical to do it, but its possible.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:35 pm

Panzerjaeger wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Chrobalta wrote:

LoL the gas tax could bring back a Prohibitionisk era of cracking down on moonshine.
I love it. I could see the feds randomly testing fuel tanks to make sure there is not unauthorized ethanol in there.
And the feds chasing moonshine delivery haulers through the back woods.
Barack Obama

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:36 pm

Daistallia 2104 wrote:http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/op ... elOV3k0RsK

Note the gasoline prices for 3/22/10 (the last week the source had data for):
Belgium $7.18
France $6.98
Germany $7.12
Italy $7.06
Netherlands $7.68
UK $6.65
US $3.05
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/gas1.html

Oh no, the US may finally pay a price that reflects reality.

What say you, NSG?
(I suspect I know where this one will fall about. Try and surprise us posters.)

that is politically untenable at this time.

i suppose it could be gradually phased in while we ramp up alternative fuels so that in the end most people will be using some cheaper form of fuel/transportation.

but it couldnt possibly be passed now.
whatever

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:37 pm

Brogavia wrote:Public transit does not work in rural areas, period. It works in Europe because the countries or more densely packed and smaller.

Europeans really, really don't get this at all. They can't even comprehend how big the US is. I remember on the Terminator Files forum one of the Dutch owners wanted to visit both Universal Studios Theme Parks in Florida and California and wanted to know if he had enough time to spend several days at each one for the week he was going to be in the country. I had to break it to him that he could spend almost no time at either park if he wanted to visit both. :lol2:

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:37 pm

Rolling squid wrote:
greed and death wrote:

True. So implement a gradual tax, say fifty cents/gallon a year, and use the revenues to build a national high speed rail system. Provide categorical grants to cities so they can build city-suburb rail systems. The point is, we as a country need to be weaned off oil and onto public transportation, and the only way I can see that happening is through higher fuel costs.

Which is all fine and dandy until the red states reject the funding.
Then use the courts, environmental laws, and everything else they can think of to delay the federal government doing it themselves by decades.
Barack Obama

Brogavia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:37 pm

Rolling squid wrote:
greed and death wrote:

You honestly don't get how big our country is do you? Public transit does not work outside of densely populate areas. Ever.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:38 pm

Person012345 wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:

Public transport.

Where. The FUCK. Is it.

Because there isn't public transit for about a hundred miles from here. And I can't be arsed to walk for near an hour through cold and heat to school.

Or walk the five or six miles to town if I don't want to eat the same things over and over. Or to do banking business.

The US is forced to run on cars because our urban planners are twats.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:38 pm

greed and death wrote:

Bah. Rubbish. Americans know what is coming to them, and they want it good and hard.

There will be no more complaints about $7 dollar gas tax than there was anything else.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:I doubt many people in the US can.

The economy is kind of in the shitter. Let's kick 'em while their down.

Or think of it this way, increasing gas prices by close to triple will create thousands of jobs! (Because thousands of people won't be able to afford to commute, and will have to give up their jobs!)

Seriously though, the "Fuck our citizens so we can prove an environmentalist point." is a pretty big douchebag move, and it would be an excellent step in making sure Obama doesn't get re-elected in '12.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Brogavia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:40 pm

greed and death wrote:LoL the gas tax could bring back a Prohibitionisk era of cracking down on moonshine.
I love it. I could see the feds randomly testing fuel tanks to make sure there is not unauthorized ethanol in there.

You better stay away from Copperhead Road

Rolling squid
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Brogavia wrote:
Rolling squid wrote:
greed and death wrote:

You honestly don't get how big our country is do you? Public transit does not work outside of densely populate areas. Ever.

No, I get it. But if we can crisscross it with highways, we can do the same with rail systems.
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:41 pm

greed and death wrote:
Panzerjaeger wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Chrobalta wrote:

LoL the gas tax could bring back a Prohibitionisk era of cracking down on moonshine.

Harvey we got illegal fuel here! Get 'em boys!

*machineguns Moonshiners as they try to run away*

Ah the good ole' days where the FBI killed you because they could.

Brogavia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:43 pm

Rolling squid wrote:
Brogavia wrote:
Rolling squid wrote:
greed and death wrote:

No, I get it. But if we can crisscross it with highways, we can do the same with rail systems.

That took damn near 50 years to finish.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:45 pm

Brogavia wrote:
Rolling squid wrote:
Brogavia wrote:
Rolling squid wrote:
greed and death wrote:

That took damn near 50 years to finish.

its hard to imagine the cost and effort involved in getting that much new right-of-way let alone the many hundreds of billions of dollars for the new rail bed.
whatever

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General