NATION

PASSWORD

Which type of tax would you prefer?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which type of tax would you prefer?

1. Agressive Tax if I am poor
20%
2. Agressive Tax if I am middle class
19%
3. Agressive Tax if I am rich
17%
4. Flat Tax if I am poor
10%
5. Flat Tax if I am middle class
16%
6. Flat Tax if I am rich
11%
7. Regressive Tax if I am poor
2%
8. Regressive Tax if I am middle class
1%
9. Regressive Tax if I am rich
6%

Total votes : 333

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:02 am

Gift-of-god wrote:
greed and death wrote:So fuel tax accounts for half of the roads.
Seems like doubling the fuel tax would supply all the roads we need.
It seems very easily within reach to make the road system pay for itself with fuel tax and tolls. Even with some 16% going to mass transit programs.

Why are you advocating a raise in taxes? I thought you were a libertarian.

Currently, the gasoline excise tax stands at 18.4%.

Your plan is to raise the gasoline tax (and a whole range of other taxes) to twice that amount. This would make it that much more expensive to operate any business that uses gasoline, i.e. the vast majority of them. This cost will be passed on to consumers. So, not only are you paying about 20% more at the pump, but you're also doing that at the grocery store, the mall, the hospital, the drugstore, etc. Please note that this cost would be shouldered by everyone. Not merely those who drive.

Do you honestly believe that reducing every US citizen's purchasing power by almost 20% is a good idea for the economy?

If it means cutting the income tax.
You sure bet I am for raising gas tax.
Consumption tax especially when it is tied to what is being used is fine.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Gift-of-god
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gift-of-god » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:23 am

greed and death wrote:If it means cutting the income tax.

Since income tax represents an insignificant amount of highway financing, your measure wouldn't reduce income tax in any appreciable manner.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera
I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina.
I defend the little kids and I level downtown Tokyo
in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:44 am

Gift-of-god wrote:
greed and death wrote:If it means cutting the income tax.

Since income tax represents an insignificant amount of highway financing, your measure wouldn't reduce income tax in any appreciable manner.

Well as we head on down the road we shall also chop up the military and the department of education.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Gift-of-god
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gift-of-god » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:23 pm

greed and death wrote:Well as we head on down the road we shall also chop up the military and the department of education.

That does not change the fact that road user fees do not pay for the maintance of the roads, as was my original point.

While it may be possible to abolish income tax through massive cuts in military and educational spending, this is irrelevant to the problem of paying for roads.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera
I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina.
I defend the little kids and I level downtown Tokyo
in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.

Seleucas
Minister

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seleucas » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:42 pm

No tax would be best. If we had to have some kind of tax, I suppose a poll tax where you have to pay to vote would be the next best thing. If you want your politician so badly, you should have to pay for what he does, not everybody else. After that, a poll tax on everyone regardless of whether or not you vote would probably be the least damaging, and technically it is a regressive tax.
Like an unscrupulous boyfriend, Obama lies about pulling out after fucking you.
-Tokyoni

The State never intentionally confronts a man's sense, intellectual or moral, but only his body, his senses. It is not armed with superior wit or honesty, but with superior physical strength. I was not born to be forced.
- Henry David Thoreau

Oh please. Those people should grow up. The South will NOT rise again.

The Union will instead, fall.
-Distruzio

Dealing with a banking crisis was difficult enough, but at least there were public-sector balance sheets on to which the problems could be moved. Once you move into sovereign debt, there is no answer; there’s no backstop.
-Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England

Right: 10.00
Libertarian: 9.9
Non-interventionist: 10
Cultural Liberal: 6.83

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:48 pm

Aggressive regardless, I'm Middle-Class atm.
Such heroic nonsense!

Glorious Freedonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2006
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Glorious Freedonia » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Flat taxes are the only way to fairly tax people.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Glorious Freedonia wrote:Flat taxes are the only way to fairly tax people.

No it isn't.

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dazchan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Glorious Freedonia wrote:Flat taxes are the only way to fairly tax people.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Taking 25% of $15,000 hurts a lot more than taking 15% of $50,000.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:09 pm

Personally...I like consumption taxes and Pigovian taxes.

Consumption taxes have reduced economic distortionary effects--so, whereas income taxes decrease people's incentives to engage in income seeking behavior (working, investing) and thus reduce overall economic output, consumption taxes reduces people's willingness to spend, while inducing incentives for greater income seeking behaviors. Specifically, I like a Value Added Tax because it's hard to cheat, it's simple to administer and the costs are visible to consumers.

I also like Pigovian taxes, although they should be applied sparingly, intelligently and strategically. By increasing the private costs to increase the overall social costs of some sort of activity, then you create a more efficient allocation, and limit the negative activity.

There are, certainly virtues to progressive income taxation--but the distortions that result are pretty fucking real and without complex tax rebate structures tend to serve as a disincentive to work on the open market for lower income individuals.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

United Marktoria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marktoria » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Cameroi wrote:i'm glad the op explained their terms, because i otherwise would have thought "type" of tax would refer to:
income, sales, capital gains, value added, property, usage and licensing fees, and whatever else, that sort of thing.

This is what I was thinking.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03
Conserative Morality wrote:He stares into your soul and says 'If you oppose Freedom, I will rip out your heart and fertilize my fields with your blood, afterwords, I will construct architectural marvels with your bones and write entire books on your cured skin.'
You can tell a lot about a man's intentions from his stare.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Tungookska wrote:you mean like the 12 guys and the prostitute that he hung out with?

That's not a commune. That's a rugby team. ;)

Ifreann wrote:I'm an atheist because God spoke to me through a burning pile of evidence bush and said unto me "Go forth, and piss my people off!".

Seleucas
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Seleucas » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Andaluciae wrote:Personally...I like consumption taxes and Pigovian taxes.

Consumption taxes have reduced economic distortionary effects--so, whereas income taxes decrease people's incentives to engage in income seeking behavior (working, investing) and thus reduce overall economic output, consumption taxes reduces people's willingness to spend, while inducing incentives for greater income seeking behaviors. Specifically, I like a Value Added Tax because it's hard to cheat, it's simple to administer and the costs are visible to consumers.

I also like Pigovian taxes, although they should be applied sparingly, intelligently and strategically. By increasing the private costs to increase the overall social costs of some sort of activity, then you create a more efficient allocation, and limit the negative activity.

There are, certainly virtues to progressive income taxation--but the distortions that result are pretty fucking real and without complex tax rebate structures tend to serve as a disincentive to work on the open market for lower income individuals.

Both a sales tax and an income tax would reduce people's incentives to engage in income-seeking behavior: people would take out money from their saving activities to cover the cost of now more expensive goods in addition to consuming less actual goods (for instance, if I paid $500 for goods beforehand, and now there is a 10% sales tax, I could simply pay this extra $50 out of my savings, or have a mix between fewer actual goods and less saving, such as only buying $475 in actual goods and pay the extra $22.5 out of savings. After all, with the marginal utility of actual goods and services rising because of having fewer goods and services, saving becomes relatively less attractive with each unit cut back.) Also, more expensive goods could be a disincentive to work, since for working the same amount you would get less, and thereby working would become relatively less valuable.

In the end, no matter how you tax, you're going to screw something up.
-Tokyoni

The State never intentionally confronts a man's sense, intellectual or moral, but only his body, his senses. It is not armed with superior wit or honesty, but with superior physical strength. I was not born to be forced.
- Henry David Thoreau

-Distruzio

Dealing with a banking crisis was difficult enough, but at least there were public-sector balance sheets on to which the problems could be moved. Once you move into sovereign debt, there is no answer; there’s no backstop.

Unilisia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unilisia » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:26 pm

Sungai Pusat wrote:There are three types of tax for those who don't know:

Agressive (Progressive) Tax:
This tax means that the poor give less and the rich give more. Most nations see it as fair and so it is used in most nations today.

Flat Tax:
This is the type of tax that everyone pays an equal percentage of tax. Some capitalists say this is fair and so some nations have no income tax, which is just as good as saying that they have a flat tax.

Regressive Tax:
This tax means that the rich pay less and the poor pay more. I mean, which type of poor and middle class person would ever vote for this?

That is all. Please post.

No taxes at all, I'm leaving the US as soon as I finish college.
I am the mighty Uni.

Tiami wrote:I bow before the mighty Uni.

Lackadaisical2 wrote:If it shocked Uni, I know I don't want to read it.
You win.

Kylarnatia wrote:Steep hill + wheelchair + my lap - I think we know where that goes ;)

Katganistan wrote:That is fucking stupid.

L Ron Cupboard wrote:He appears to be propelling himself out of the flames with explosive diarrhea while his mother does jazz hands.

Mike the Progressive wrote:Because women are gods, men are pigs, and we, the males, deserve to all be castrated.

Neo Arcad wrote:Uni doesn't sleep. She waits.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Collector: "Why are these coins all sticky?"

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:27 pm

Unilisia wrote:

This tax means that the poor give less and the rich give more. Most nations see it as fair and so it is used in most nations today.

Flat Tax:
This is the type of tax that everyone pays an equal percentage of tax. Some capitalists say this is fair and so some nations have no income tax, which is just as good as saying that they have a flat tax.

Regressive Tax:
This tax means that the rich pay less and the poor pay more. I mean, which type of poor and middle class person would ever vote for this?

To which no-tax country will you be planning to move too?

Seleucas
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Seleucas » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:32 pm

Unilisia wrote:

Flat Tax:

Regressive Tax:

If you manage to find a tax-free country, please tell me. I'd go there too.
-Tokyoni

- Henry David Thoreau

-Distruzio

The Adrian Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Adrian Empire » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:34 pm

The Best Tax is not an income tax, consumption if there must be a tax at all does the least overall damage and is free of implications like income (your labour isn't your own), or property/land (you are just renting the land), it is the only real form of non-coercive tax, purchases being a voluntary decision. A VAT is also slightly better then income, despite nasty effects on prices.
From the Desk of His Excellency, Emperor Kyle Cicero Argentis
Region Inc. "Selling Today for a Brighter Tomorrow"
"What is the Price of Prosperity? Eternal Vigilance"
Let's call it Voluntary Government Minarchism
Economic: Left/Right (9.5)
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-2.56)
Sibirsky wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:The Adrian Empire is God.

Oh of course. But not to the leftists.

Faith Hope Charity wrote:I would just like to take this time to say... The Adrian Empire is awesome.
First imagine the 1950's in space, add free market capitalism, aliens, orcs, elves and magic, throw in some art-deco cities, the Roman Empire and finish with the Starship Troopers' Federation
The Imperial Factbook| |Census 2010

Saurisia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisia » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Just a run-of-the mill tax, no taxes on the money I earn or the money I inherit, as that's Government thievery.
Israslovakahzerbajan wrote:Stealing a copy of The Land Before Time.
Coccygia wrote:The only good mammal is a dead mammal.
Pythria wrote:Fascist dictatorship run by dinosaurs. I like it
Tartonica wrote:2/10 because dinosaurs do NOT rule nations (Except for Saurisia)
The Tavan Race wrote:Yeah, your nation scares me
Wolohanistan wrote:Saurisia - Dinosaur Dictatorship is the best dictatorship, not that we support that sort of thing.
Conoga wrote:Dinosaurs-in-Bikinis-Boy
Lancov wrote:Condemn, because we now have to go soak our brains in bleach.
The Floor Kippers wrote:We Have Dinosaurs.....Argument Rendered Invalid
Grossrheinland Reich wrote:DINOSAUR FETISHIST
Tetraca wrote:Also: yay, Saurisia's here! This thread just became more awesome :D
FT Population: 1,000,000,000,000
DINOSAURS RULE!

Right-Wing-Extremists
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Right-Wing-Extremists » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Flat tax is the only rational tax. The others are stupid.

The Adrian Empire
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Adrian Empire » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Seleucas wrote:
Unilisia wrote:

Flat Tax:

Regressive Tax:

They need to make one by jove! Who says we all pool are resources, buy Crete off the greeks and set up our own European Tax Haven! Corporate Funding will get the basic work done, then we can work out some sort of alternative there. 8)
Last edited by The Adrian Empire on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sibirsky wrote:

Faith Hope Charity wrote:I would just like to take this time to say... The Adrian Empire is awesome.
First imagine the 1950's in space, add free market capitalism, aliens, orcs, elves and magic, throw in some art-deco cities, the Roman Empire and finish with the Starship Troopers' Federation

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Aggressive, of course. It's more equal, so it's better.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:43 pm

Seleucas wrote:
Unilisia wrote:

Flat Tax:

Regressive Tax:

Dubai?

The Adrian Empire
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Adrian Empire » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:44 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:
Seleucas wrote:
Unilisia wrote:

Flat Tax:

Regressive Tax:

Dubai?

Really?
*starts brushing up on his Arabic...
Sibirsky wrote:

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Flat Tax, I am middle class.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:47 pm

The Adrian Empire wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:
Seleucas wrote:
Unilisia wrote:

Flat Tax:

Regressive Tax:

Dubai?

Really?
*starts brushing up on his Arabic...

No, just practically. They speak good English there too.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:48 pm

Auremena wrote:Aggressive, of course. It's more equal, so it's better.

How the hell is it equal? Why should you pay less if you lake less? A tax is the charge for having a government, and prices shouldn't change just because you make a different amount.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General