NATION

PASSWORD

What Are the Main Reasons People are Christian?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neutonica
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Neutonica » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:45 am

Cabra West wrote:
Johz wrote:
Actually, in my own experience at least, fewer and fewer people become Christians because of reasons like these.

Really? That's funny, cause in my experience, people tend not to get asked before being baptised and raised that way... :blink:

Depends on where you come from...

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:46 am

Neutonica wrote:Depends on where you come from...

You have to let me know in which country people ask babies if they want the religious upbringing before administering it
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:50 am

Cabra West wrote:
Johz wrote:
Actually, in my own experience at least, fewer and fewer people become Christians because of reasons like these.

Really? That's funny, cause in my experience, people tend not to get asked before being baptised and raised that way... :blink:

Aha! What about conformation! And the Baptist denomination. Baptism has become more of a symbol of the church family's wish to raise the child as a Christian child, but the person makes a definite choice to become a Christian at conformation, usually.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:54 am

Johz wrote:
Aha! What about conformation! And the Baptist denomination. Baptism has become more of a symbol of the church family's wish to raise the child as a Christian child, but the person makes a definite choice to become a Christian at conformation, usually.

Yes, I remember clearly asking to be excluded from that, but you know, not a lot of parents listen to their 12-year-old, especially if there's neighbours to consider and impress.

And we are talking about 12 years already having been spent listening to church sermons and bible stories, after all...
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Johz
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:12 am

Cabra West wrote:
Johz wrote:

Yes, I remember clearly asking to be excluded from that, but you know, not a lot of parents listen to their 12-year-old, especially if there's neighbours to consider and impress.

And we are talking about 12 years already having been spent listening to church sermons and bible stories, after all...

Well I see nothing wrong with being able to pass an RE exam without revising...

As to your first point, my brother, at the age of thirteen, clearly asked to be confirmed. I have just realised that I was previously talking about conformation as opposed to confirmation, and I apologise for that error.
Equally, I, my friends, and many other people whom I know, all asked to be confirmed once we had decided ourselves which path to follow. If you have had a bad experience, and I apologise if I infer too much from your post, there is very little reason to then assume that all experiences must be like that.

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality

Also, bonobos zygons.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:27 am

Kayliea wrote:

Pic spam, knock it off. Your ice is very, very thin, you don't have a lot of room to wiggle around in.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:29 am

Cameroi wrote:the western hemisphere had at least ten thousand years of its own traditions before 'christian' europeans ever set foot in it, nor eyes on it. so i would hardly think that applies.

in israel, or europe maybe it might be though.

Again, the Old World had "ten thousand years of its own traditions" before Christianity popped up. But, in the main, most of those ten thousand years were banging rocks together or piling stones atop others.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:30 am

Johz wrote:

As to your first point, my brother, at the age of thirteen, clearly asked to be confirmed. I have just realised that I was previously talking about conformation as opposed to confirmation, and I apologise for that error.
Equally, I, my friends, and many other people whom I know, all asked to be confirmed once we had decided ourselves which path to follow. If you have had a bad experience, and I apologise if I infer too much from your post, there is very little reason to then assume that all experiences must be like that.

I think it's quite erronous to deduct from the fact that some people may ask for confirmation that this has to be the case for the majority, or even that it is in any way an informed decision made by the child in question.
Most of my friends went for it because it meant you got a nice celebration in your honour, and a fairly substantial amount of money from the assorted aunts, uncles, grandparents and others.

To assume that because someone is baptised and confirmed doesn't mean that any decision was ever made by that individual to "become" Christian. They were christian from 2 weeks after birth, after all, and remain so out of habit and a sense of tradition.
Not to mention the hassle involved if you actually want to leave the church... it doesn't come cheap, let me tell you.

Lord Vetinari

Johz
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:05 am

Cabra West wrote:
Johz wrote:

I think it's quite erronous to deduct from the fact that some people may ask for confirmation that this has to be the case for the majority, or even that it is in any way an informed decision made by the child in question.
Most of my friends went for it because it meant you got a nice celebration in your honour, and a fairly substantial amount of money from the assorted aunts, uncles, grandparents and others.

To assume that because someone is baptised and confirmed doesn't mean that any decision was ever made by that individual to "become" Christian. They were christian from 2 weeks after birth, after all, and remain so out of habit and a sense of tradition.
Not to mention the hassle involved if you actually want to leave the church... it doesn't come cheap, let me tell you.

I appear to have seen and experienced very different confirmation experiences to you. I am afraid that we seem to be arguing over what is not particularly substantial. Let us say that for some Christians, who were raised as Christians, and baptised and confirmed as per usual conditions, this 'tradition' is a reason why a person may become a Christian. However, for many others - definitely more than the 20% figure that we were, I believe, originally arguing about - there are a multitude of different reasons for becoming a Christian that are not to do with tradition.

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman

Also, bonobos zygons.

Karsol
Senator

Founded: Jan 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Karsol » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:19 am

When I was of the cloth so to speak, it just because my parents would beat me if i didn't feign belief.
01010000 01100101 01101110 01101001 01110011 00100001 00100001 00100001
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:20 am

Karsol wrote:When I was of the cloth so to speak, it just because my parents would beat me if i didn't feign belief.

That's what I don't get about a lot of religions.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:26 am

Johz wrote:I appear to have seen and experienced very different confirmation experiences to you. I am afraid that we seem to be arguing over what is not particularly substantial. Let us say that for some Christians, who were raised as Christians, and baptised and confirmed as per usual conditions, this 'tradition' is a reason why a person may become a Christian. However, for many others - definitely more than the 20% figure that we were, I believe, originally arguing about - there are a multitude of different reasons for becoming a Christian that are not to do with tradition.

There would appear to be a misunderstanding... in order to get confirmed, people need to already BE Christian. They don't become Christian when they get confirmed, they become Christian when they are baptised.
Which, in most cases, is still done when they are babies.

So most people become Christian because their parents decide they will, and their parents became Christian because their grandparents decided they will.
Tradition.

And I'm not sure where you get the 20% from...

Lord Vetinari

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:41 am

Xelforin wrote:In general terms.

Cue all the non-christians of NSG second guessing people's thinking.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

South-Western Dakota
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby South-Western Dakota » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:45 am

Karsol wrote:When I was of the cloth so to speak, it just because my parents would beat me if i didn't feign belief.

It always seems to be the parents that are the most radically religous that have children that take a very sharp right turn in the opposite direction. A guy I know had idiotically radical Catholic parents and is now Firmly atheistic and homosexual much to the dismay of his parents. Pretty much the same thing hapened to me without the homosexual part. :lol:
Political Alignment : Minarchist
Economic +7.38 (Right) Social +2.21(Right)
The illustrious Don of South-Western Dakota,
Gavino Lombardi

"A man chooses, a slave obeys."

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:56 am

Canadai wrote:Top Five IMO
Having Their Life Saved (Ironically, mostly by Science)[/list]

Well one could believe that God worked through these people and science.

Reminds me of a story, There was a large flood in a town and a man climbed up to the roof of his house as the rain continued and the water rose a boat came along and they told him to jump in the boat the man replied "No, Jesus will save me" and so the boat left, a little while later another boat came along and again he was told to jump in the boat, again he replied "No, Jesus will save me" and so the boat left. After awhile the flood waters had risen and were almost completely covering his house and a helicopter came along and was told to get attach himself to the harness again the man replied "No, Jesus will save me". Eventually the flood waters rose and the man drowned. Later while in heaven the man saw Jesus doing what Jesus does while in heaven and the man went up to him and asked "Hey Jesus, why didn't you save me?" and Jesus replied "I sent two boats and a helicopter, what more did you want me to do?".
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic

DBC26-Winner

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:58 am

Cabra West wrote:
Johz wrote:

Not all Christian churches allow infant baptism and perhaps he should have said remained Christian. After all one can leave and not remain a Christian.

DBC26-Winner

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:00 am

Tagmatium wrote:

The capacity to make shit up?

DBC26-Winner

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:01 am

Wilgrove wrote:This has always been one of my complaints about Christianity. A guy can be a serial killer or a mass murderer, and yet if he repents in prison and accepts Jesus Christ as his savior, he gets to go to Heaven? Meanwhile people like Ghandi, and the Dali Llama have/would end up in Hell because they don't accept Jesus Christ as their savior? Where is the justice in that? Why does the murder get off scot free because he says some magic words and people of a different faith who are trying to make the world a better place burn?

Responding to this from page 2.

Well, that depends on the Christian sect. For example, in the Orthodox religion, if your a MASS murderer, their isn't a chance in hell you are getting into heaven. No way. If you are a murder or a something smaller (Not saying murder is small) then repentance will help you. As for Gandhi, he would most likely get into heaven sooner or later. Most christian sects believe that if you don't believe in God, you won't be saved. Untrue. Jesus loved all his children, even the wayward. Once they died, they would see the truth, as he thought.

I hoped my two cents (now deposited) offer some light.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Karsol
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Karsol » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:16 am

Blouman Empire wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:

Like people won't beat their kids if they don't do as their told. :roll:

Your political compass

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:27 am

Karsol wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:

Some do some don't and it also depends what you mean by beat. A light spank on the buttock is not the same as repeated punching and kicking.

DBC26-Winner

Karsol
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Karsol » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:43 am

Blouman Empire wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:

Some do some don't and it also depends what you mean by beat. A light spank on the buttock is not the same as repeated punching and kicking.

Generally the belt, lash and/or buckle or a cane that you could bend tip to handle without it snapping. :/
And yes it was on the buttocks, though I was once lashed on the back for picking fights.

Your political compass

Johz
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:07 am

Cabra West wrote:
Johz wrote:I appear to have seen and experienced very different confirmation experiences to you. I am afraid that we seem to be arguing over what is not particularly substantial. Let us say that for some Christians, who were raised as Christians, and baptised and confirmed as per usual conditions, this 'tradition' is a reason why a person may become a Christian. However, for many others - definitely more than the 20% figure that we were, I believe, originally arguing about - there are a multitude of different reasons for becoming a Christian that are not to do with tradition.

There would appear to be a misunderstanding... in order to get confirmed, people need to already BE Christian. They don't become Christian when they get confirmed, they become Christian when they are baptised.
Which, in most cases, is still done when they are babies.

So most people become Christian because their parents decide they will, and their parents became Christian because their grandparents decided they will.
Tradition.

And I'm not sure where you get the 20% from...

I think that was the original figure that we were arguing about. Perhaps not. I'll shut up about that.

Many people are baptised in order to become confirmed. For example, at my confirmation, half the service was taken up with people baptising other confirmers-to-be in an ARGOS paddling pool. Many of whom were adults, if I might be allowed to add that.

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman

Also, bonobos zygons.

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:13 am

Johz wrote:
I think that was the original figure that we were arguing about. Perhaps not. I'll shut up about that.

Many people are baptised in order to become confirmed. For example, at my confirmation, half the service was taken up with people baptising other confirmers-to-be in an ARGOS paddling pool. Many of whom were adults, if I might be allowed to add that.

That would be kind of obvious. wouldn't it?
Considering that everybody else had been baptised as a baby, only late converters would need the baptism before getting confirmed, and since it's not all that likely that those would be young children, I would sort of expect them to be adults.

The question is, if you compare the number of such late baptisms with the number of babies being baptised, I'm willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of people who "become" christians each year can't say "Jesus" and doesn't walk into church on their own two feet yet.

Lord Vetinari

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:13 pm

Almost all religions evolved either as a way in which to control others, the human need to give things purpose and reason, and for the desire to have someone to follow. I think multiple deities may exist, but that they have no true power if they do.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:18 pm

Ziway wrote:
Coccygia wrote:
Ziway wrote:I think what is more interesting is that a religion that was looked upon as an anti-establishment cult during the Roman Empire ended up being one of the more dominant religion in the world. What was so attractive about Christianity in those early years of its inception???

Christianity offered hope for the afterlife.The Greco-Roman religion mostly did not. If you were bad you went to Hades and were tortured forever. If you were good you went to Hades and were miserable and bored forever. The only exception were initiates in certain mystery cults, such as that of Isis and the Eleusinian Mysteries. These cults were only accessible to those who could afford the initiation fees and weren't born as slaves. The vast majority of people had no hope in this life or the next. Along comes Christianity and says, "You can go to Heaven. Doesn't matter if you're poor or a slave. All you have to do is believe and do what we tell you." This is still pretty much the pitch of most of cults. Naturally, this appealed greatly to poor people and slaves. No wonder it sold.

Marketing 101!!! I believe if I was there during that time I would have bought into it too. Today there are just to may different view points not to mentions how scientists have been such a pain in the ass for religious institutions/doctrines.

I forgot to mention St. Paul's most brilliant marketing idea: Original Sin. "In Adam's fall we sinned all" as the New England Primer put it. Even if you didn't do anything bad, ever, you still need Jesus ChristTM, because you have Original Sin! As Joseph Campbell said, "Now you have a product you can sell."
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General