NATION

PASSWORD

Self-identified liberals & Democrats fail Econ101 questions

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Bramborska
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Self-identified liberals & Democrats fail Econ101 questions

Postby Bramborska » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:31 am

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 32412.html

To be sure, none of the eight questions specifically challenge the political sensibilities of conservatives and libertarians. Still, not all of the eight questions are tied directly to left-wing concerns about inequality and redistribution. In particular, the questions about mandatory licensing, the standard of living, the definition of monopoly, and free trade do not specifically challenge leftist sensibilities.

How did the six ideological groups do overall? Here they are, best to worst, with an average number of incorrect responses from 0 to 8: Very conservative, 1.30; Libertarian, 1.38; Conservative, 1.67; Moderate, 3.67; Liberal, 4.69; Progressive/very liberal, 5.26.

Obviously, some questions are... Shall we say, debatable? Though many are not... How, exactly, can one screw up the monopoly question?

Yet on every question the left did much worse. On the monopoly question, the portion of progressive/very liberals answering incorrectly (31%) was more than twice that of conservatives (13%) and more than four times that of libertarians (7%). On the question about living standards, the portion of progressive/very liberals answering incorrectly (61%) was more than four times that of conservatives (13%) and almost three times that of libertarians (21%).
Last edited by Bramborska on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
A liberal is a person who believes that water can be made to run uphill. A conservative is someone who believes everybody should pay for his water. I'm somewhere in between: I believe water should be free, but that water flows downhill. - Theodore White
| Clint Eastwood 2012 |

Vittos Ordination
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Vittos Ordination » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:35 am

The poll was designed to trip up liberals and democrats. It completely fails as a comparison between conservatives and liberals.

It still shows, however, that liberals and democrats are also likely to have their interpretations skewed by what they want to be true, just like everyone else.

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:37 am

Huh, I guess this disproves everything liberals and democrats have ever said or done.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Abury
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Abury » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:38 am

Liberals don't know anything about economics! old news

there is a reason why economics professors tend to be free-market laisse-faire fanatics
Last edited by Abury on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.10

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:39 am

Yay Libertarians! :D :clap:

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:39 am

"7) Minimum wage laws raise unemployment (unenlightened answer: disagree)." - Wut.

Of the EU countries, Germany has quite bad unemployment and zero minimum wage laws. Also, consider most of Africa. Now that's potentially more correlation than causation, but still.
End the Modigarchy now.

Bramborska
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bramborska » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:39 am

Southern Patriots wrote:Huh, I guess this disproves everything liberals and democrats have ever said or done.

Hmm, that's certainly one obtuse way to look at it.

Of course, you could also interpret it to mean that Democrats and Progressives, more than other ideological groups, find that their moral views impede their casual understanding of simple economic concepts.
A liberal is a person who believes that water can be made to run uphill. A conservative is someone who believes everybody should pay for his water. I'm somewhere in between: I believe water should be free, but that water flows downhill. - Theodore White
| Clint Eastwood 2012 |

Third Spanish States
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Spanish States » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:40 am

Abury wrote:there is a reason why economics professors tend to be free-market laisse-faire fanatics

There is a reason why economics isn't really a science.
PMT Factbook.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, Binaria, Varejao, Hogsweat, Franberry, ChevyRocks, Izistan, Ulanpataar, North-Point, The Mindset, Vault 10, Rosbaningrad, Sharfghotten, Tyrandis, South Sharfgotten, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania.
Izistan wrote:Third Spanish States is a well known far-right activist so his attempts at humor can only be expected.

Umbagar wrote:%*$#! I put a crack in my screen thanks to the awesome "place fist here" sign. >:(

Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

Saxon Germany wrote:[...]you're practically a professional troll, TSS.[...]

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:40 am

Abury wrote:Liberals don't know anything about economics! old news

there is a reason why economics professors tend to be free-market laisse-faire fanatics

That is true, I took an economic course (I forgot if it was micro-economics or macro...) and he was a free market laisse-faire fan. Him and I actually discussed the merit of it during an entire class session. (I was the only one in the class :D)

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:41 am

Bramborska wrote:How, exactly, can one screw up the monopoly question?

Because it's an "all A equal Bs, do all Bs equal As?" type question.
End the Modigarchy now.

Abury
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Abury » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:41 am

Yootopia wrote:"7) Minimum wage laws raise unemployment (unenlightened answer: disagree)." - Wut.

Of the EU countries, Germany has quite bad unemployment and zero minimum wage laws. Also, consider most of Africa. Now that's potentially more correlation than causation, but still.

IT IS SIMPLY LOGIC....if you value is X and the government forces me to pay you X+y then you will not get the fucking job

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:41 am

This article is complete bullshit, for instance there are empirical economic and econometric works that show that the supposed correct answer to the minimum wage question is not always correct, the question on exploitation was obviously a subjective question, and the question on monopolies is ambiguous.

Post-Unity Terra
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Unity Terra » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:41 am

What's with the recent crop of people lying about their compass scores? I didn't think you could get +/-10 without buying or expropriating the website.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:42 am

Abury wrote:
Yootopia wrote:"7) Minimum wage laws raise unemployment (unenlightened answer: disagree)." - Wut.

IT IS SIMPLY LOGIC.

No, it isn't.
End the Modigarchy now.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:42 am

Abury wrote:Liberals don't know anything about economics! old news

No they don't, and I'm saying this as a person who gets taught by economics professors, please stop constantly spouting this bullshit or get out of this forum.

DrVenkman
Attaché

Founded: Dec 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby DrVenkman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:42 am

Third Spanish States wrote:
Abury wrote:there is a reason why economics professors tend to be free-market laisse-faire fanatics

If the consumer was rational, it would be. Until that happens, all bets are off.

Abury
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Abury » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:42 am

economics is a HARD SCIENCE unlikely climatology,sociology,afro and women studies and all other bullshits

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:43 am

Bramborska wrote:
Southern Patriots wrote:Huh, I guess this disproves everything liberals and democrats have ever said or done.

Hmm, that's certainly one obtuse way to look at it.

Of course, you could also interpret it to mean that Democrats and Progressives, more than other ideological groups, find that their moral views impede their casual understanding of simple economic concepts.

I find looking at topics in NSG in an obtuse fashion helps make up for the barrage of generalisations and extremes they contain.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Bramborska
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bramborska » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:43 am

A price floor causes a surplus of the good that it applies to. I suppose there is some wiggle room when it deals with such an squiffy good like labor, but usually it's a fairly absolute economic principle.
| Clint Eastwood 2012 |

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:44 am

Whether or not this is the case, it has nothing to do with what Abury is saying, which is just nonsense.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:45 am

DrVenkman wrote:

If the consumer was rational, it would be. Until that happens, all bets are off.

Errr I don't see how that would make it more scientific. There are, after all, no control experiments in economics.
End the Modigarchy now.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:46 am

Bramborska wrote:

A price floor causes a surplus of the good that it applies to. I suppose there is some wiggle room when it deals with such an squiffy good like labor, but usually it's a fairly absolute economic principle.

"Usually" is not good enough.
End the Modigarchy now.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:46 am

Yootopia wrote:Errr I don't see how that would make it more scientific. There are, after all, no control experiments in economics.

Actually, there can be plenty of control experiments in economics (particularly behavioural economics), just as there can be control experiments in behavioural psychology as a whole. Furthermore, you can still empirically test most economic propositions through the use of econometric data.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:47 am

If it was a Bell curve distributed somewhat to those who identified conservative, I'd not be too surprised though questioning some of the definitions of 'enlightened' answers, i.e., 6) Free trade leads to unemployment (unenlightened answer: agree)... well somewhat it does by its very nature, although whether it's inherently 'free trade' as compared to a lack of full state-employment...

...however, for it to be linear along the lines of: Very conservative, 1.30; Libertarian, 1.38; Conservative, 1.67; Moderate, 3.67; Liberal, 4.69; Progressive/very liberal, 5.26.

That's highly suspect, and one has to question the framing of the questions and their conclusions.
Last edited by Barringtonia on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Abury
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Abury » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:47 am

Yootopia wrote:If the consumer was rational, it would be. Until that happens, all bets are off.

Errr I don't see how that would make it more scientific. There are, after all, no control experiments in economics.[/quote]

You don't need experiments when you can argue with logic

I'm a fan of austrian economists because Austrian economists reject empirical, statistical methods

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General