NATION

PASSWORD

Why is Homophobia accepted in Islam, but not Christianity

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Eahland
Senator
 
Posts: 4424
Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:23 pm

New-Minneapolis wrote:
Dimetrodon Empire wrote:There's nothing wrong with what she said.


I support the side that doesn't want to kill me for being gay. *shrug*

So you've stopped simping for Mike Pence, then?
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

User avatar
Necroghastia
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 12962
Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:25 pm

Ineva wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Please look to the post (from the OP, mind) that I replied to and direct snark at them, if you must direct snark for bringing up Palestine and Israel.

There's a difference between debunking something as untrue and going on a rant about Israel's alleged war crimes. Your first sentence would have sufficed, but I suppose that wasn't really the intent of your reply anyhow.

I didn't think a one-sentence clarification as to why people support Palestine (again, the claim was that it was because they are "brave traditionalists") was that much of a rant.

Since you seem to be getting worked up over the subject, why not return to the actual topic at hand?
Last edited by Necroghastia on Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

User avatar
Ineva
Minister
 
Posts: 3082
Founded: Dec 16, 2023
Corporate Bordello

Postby Ineva » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:25 pm

Uiiop wrote:
Ineva wrote:There's a difference between debunking something as untrue and going on a rant about Israel's alleged war crimes. Your first sentence would have sufficed, but I suppose that wasn't really the intent of your reply anyhow.

There's certainly a reasonable i tried to apply care around this topic but that doesn't mean Necro meant anything by it.

OP is just upset and baiting people with these threads and that makes people step on toes they don't mean to step on.

I will admit that the original comments were baity... Even so, the latter half of the response seemed rather unwarranted.

I digress.
Ineva
Ineva, OoC.
Observant CaTETholic.
Second-best F7er of April 2024!
Want a news box? Use the pre tag.
Ineva represents my real political views.
Establish foreign relations with Ineva here.
If you have any questions about G-d, TG me.
Ineva is like Israel. It is not actually Israel.
This Index classifies Ineva as Tier 8, Type 4, Class 2.
IC population is 11.12 million. Everything else is canon.
A cordial thank you to Statesburg for teaching me about the pre tag.
Abortion is murder.
Stand with ISRAEL.
FTR2TS = Genocide.
- Inevan Signature News - Etwepe becomes Registered Ally | Nu Elysium becomes Registered Foe | Memorial service held for Goo Goo | Memorial service held for The second Akane Kurokawa | Ancientania becomes Registered Ally | Ravemath becomes Registered Ally

User avatar
Repreteop
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1272
Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Repreteop » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:29 pm

I support coexistence. I know many Jews who don't like Netanyahu. We can live together and be friends :)
We belong together.

User avatar
Cyra
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Feb 21, 2024
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyra » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:34 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Bayshire wrote:
It doesn't make sense for Uganda to be seen as violent homophobes, and Palestinians as brave traditionalists when both groups are oppressing gay people

I defy you to show me someone who supports Palestinians "beheading or throwing gay people off buildings" and also condemns Uganda for being homophobic.
The reason people show support to Palestine is because they are currently victims of an ongoing campaign of genocide by Israel. This has nothing to do with any cultural or institutional homophobia.

That Doesn't mean Palestinians are the Victims.Think about what happened is the Gaza strip.The British were kind of at fault for this for making straight borders.But the fact that people supports terrorism just blows my mind.

User avatar
Neutraligon
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 42406
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:38 pm

Is there a reason that we are talking about Palestine here? It does not really seem related to the topic.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
Adharcaili
Diplomat
 
Posts: 600
Founded: Dec 23, 2023
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Adharcaili » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:43 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Is there a reason that we are talking about Palestine here? It does not really seem related to the topic.

I've learnt that most discussions discussing Islam will end up bringing Palestine up.
The alternate official name is Tír na nÓg. Elves, leprechauns, dragons, and a bunch of other fictional creatures are real. The nation name is technically "Adharcáilí," (pronounced "ay-er-KOH-li") with accents over the third A and second I. However, Nationstates doesn't allow accents in nation names, so that's why I don't have them in the nation name. If you would like to refer to Adharcáilí correctly though, use the accents.
Flags|Leader|Camera Roll
If you wanna chat, TGs are always open
I will ruthlessly nickname you
Touching grass
Adharcáilí (Tír na nÓg)

Fáilte go Tír na nÓg
The nation of Adharcáilí is basically a unified Ireland
but more fairytale-y
Maireann croí éadrom i bhfad

User avatar
Dimetrodon Empire
Minister
 
Posts: 2990
Founded: Sep 21, 2022
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dimetrodon Empire » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:46 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Is there a reason that we are talking about Palestine here? It does not really seem related to the topic.

Because, unfortunately, it is often cited as the left "tolerating" Islamic homophobia.
Flag by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
Proud Socialist. Bisexual.From the river to the sea
████████████
████████████

George Orwell wrote:Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic socialism, as I understand it.

Citizen & Deputy Speaker of The Rejected Realms; Scout in the Rejected Realms Army

User avatar
Existential Cats
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 447
Founded: Oct 21, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Existential Cats » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:01 pm

It's not that it's "acceptable" for Muslims to be homophobic, it's more that the largest and most vocal LGBT communities you hear about in the West tend to be, well, the Western ones. And they're usually and understandably more concerned about the homophobia that's going on in their own countries, which are usually free and democratic enough that homophobes can be criticized without fear of retribution and legislation can be passed to promote LGBT rights. Most Westerners' exposure to Muslims is hearing about tragic Middle Eastern conflicts and the oil baron dictators and fundamentalists that started them in the news, so I would imagine most Westerners place homophobia lower on the list of things that need to be immediately sorted out by Muslims.
(=^・ω・^=) Existential Cats /ᐠ‸⑅‸ ᐟ\ノ


The fish trap exists because of the fish. Once you've gotten the fish you can forget the trap. The rabbit snare exists because of the rabbit. Once you've gotten the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words exist because of meaning. Once you've gotten the meaning, you can forget the words. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so I can talk with him?

t. zhuangzi

User avatar
Uiiop
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8314
Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:03 pm

Existential Cats wrote:It's not that it's "acceptable" for Muslims to be homophobic, it's more that the largest and most vocal LGBT communities you hear about in the West tend to be, well, the Western ones. And they're usually and understandably more concerned about the homophobia that's going on in their own countries, which are usually free and democratic enough that homophobes can be criticized without fear of retribution and legislation can be passed to promote LGBT rights. Most Westerners' exposure to Muslims is hearing about tragic Middle Eastern conflicts and the oil baron dictators and fundamentalists that started them in the news, so I would imagine most Westerners place homophobia lower on the list of things that need to be immediately sorted out by Muslims.

^this.

Unfortunately people think we need to apply cancel culture to any western Muslim or else they will take over.
#NSTransparency

User avatar
Bayshire
Diplomat
 
Posts: 988
Founded: Oct 21, 2023
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Bayshire » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:48 pm

Western Muslims are given pass too, because many of them aren't seen as white and anyone who isn't white is seen as oppressed. I don't mean simply those who live in sharia dominated countries in Africa and the Middle East. Islam is seen as foreign and traditional so it's "not our place to criticize" yet Christianity is able to be criticized.


The main thing is there should be consistency. Tear it all apart, or none of it
MANGO FIELD
DA BOYZ
ALL STATS ARE 100 PERCENT CANON
Country music is criminally underrated
Signed, a country boy
Who is Bayshire?
American guy
Lying awake intent on tuning in on you <3

User avatar
Necroghastia
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 12962
Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:52 pm

Bayshire wrote:Western Muslims are given pass too, because many of them aren't seen as white and anyone who isn't white is seen as oppressed.

By this logic, you should be seeing people giving Uganda a pass, but not doing so was one of your examples of supposed hypocrisy.
The main thing is there should be consistency. Tear it all apart, or none of it

Personally, I believe in something called nuance.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

User avatar
Ineva
Minister
 
Posts: 3082
Founded: Dec 16, 2023
Corporate Bordello

Postby Ineva » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:54 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Bayshire wrote:Western Muslims are given pass too, because many of them aren't seen as white and anyone who isn't white is seen as oppressed.

By this logic, you should be seeing people giving Uganda a pass, but not doing so was one of your examples of supposed hypocrisy.
The main thing is there should be consistency. Tear it all apart, or none of it

Personally, I believe in something called nuance.

If someone were to tell you he was homophobic for religious reasons, you would accept and reason with that for said nuance?
Ineva
Ineva, OoC.
Observant CaTETholic.
Second-best F7er of April 2024!
Want a news box? Use the pre tag.
Ineva represents my real political views.
Establish foreign relations with Ineva here.
If you have any questions about G-d, TG me.
Ineva is like Israel. It is not actually Israel.
This Index classifies Ineva as Tier 8, Type 4, Class 2.
IC population is 11.12 million. Everything else is canon.
A cordial thank you to Statesburg for teaching me about the pre tag.
Abortion is murder.
Stand with ISRAEL.
FTR2TS = Genocide.
- Inevan Signature News - Etwepe becomes Registered Ally | Nu Elysium becomes Registered Foe | Memorial service held for Goo Goo | Memorial service held for The second Akane Kurokawa | Ancientania becomes Registered Ally | Ravemath becomes Registered Ally

User avatar
Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26753
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:55 pm

Bayshire wrote:
Sure, but there's an overwhelming pattern of North American and European people (generally leftists) who will condemn the government of Uganda for being homophobic, and say that Palestinians, Bruneians etc are justified in beheading or throwing gay people off buildings.

Name one specific person who has done this very specific thing you're saying is an "overwhelming pattern" lol
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

User avatar
Rusozak
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7039
Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:55 pm

The Chads wrote:Because if you’re living in a Muslim country and you’re gay you’re good as dead


Well that's just a theocracy thing. Which I guess if there's anything to be said of the OP's perception of Muslims not being criticized about LGBT issues as much, it's the nature of the countries they mostly live in. There really aren't any Christian theocracies anymore, and the Western world is full of countries where you have a right to bitch and moan about hating LGBT rights all you want, something Christian groups take full advantage of. And in those countries Christian groups are also the largest opponents to LGBT rights.

By contrast, the authoritarian and theocratic nature of much of the Muslim world creates this illusion that it's not as big of an issue over there. There's no need for homophobes to make a big scene over there because they're already in control, and criticism of their actions is quickly suppressed.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 164339
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:58 pm

Bayshire wrote:Western Muslims are given pass too

Have you noticed that you keep saying things like this, even though it's not true?
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

User avatar
Necroghastia
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 12962
Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:58 pm

Ineva wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:By this logic, you should be seeing people giving Uganda a pass, but not doing so was one of your examples of supposed hypocrisy.

Personally, I believe in something called nuance.

If someone were to tell you he was homophobic for religious reasons, you would accept and reason with that for said nuance?

I'm not sure I understand the question, but... I wouldn't accept the homophobia, but I would attempt to reason from a spiritual angle.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

User avatar
Ineva
Minister
 
Posts: 3082
Founded: Dec 16, 2023
Corporate Bordello

Postby Ineva » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:59 pm

Rusozak wrote:
The Chads wrote:Because if you’re living in a Muslim country and you’re gay you’re good as dead


Well that's just a theocracy thing. Which I guess if there's anything to be said of the OP's perception of Muslims not being criticized about LGBT issues as much, it's the nature of the countries they mostly live in. There really aren't any Christian theocracies anymore, and the Western world is full of countries where you have a right to bitch and moan about hating LGBT rights all you want, something Christian groups take full advantage of. And in those countries Christian groups are also the largest opponents to LGBT rights.

Devil's advocate, it is not only Christian groups that "bitch and moan" about LGBT rights. It's a bit of a two-way street in that respect, in that the right to... express your opinions on the matter is largely universal in Western societies.
Ineva
Ineva, OoC.
Observant CaTETholic.
Second-best F7er of April 2024!
Want a news box? Use the pre tag.
Ineva represents my real political views.
Establish foreign relations with Ineva here.
If you have any questions about G-d, TG me.
Ineva is like Israel. It is not actually Israel.
This Index classifies Ineva as Tier 8, Type 4, Class 2.
IC population is 11.12 million. Everything else is canon.
A cordial thank you to Statesburg for teaching me about the pre tag.
Abortion is murder.
Stand with ISRAEL.
FTR2TS = Genocide.
- Inevan Signature News - Etwepe becomes Registered Ally | Nu Elysium becomes Registered Foe | Memorial service held for Goo Goo | Memorial service held for The second Akane Kurokawa | Ancientania becomes Registered Ally | Ravemath becomes Registered Ally

User avatar
Bayshire
Diplomat
 
Posts: 988
Founded: Oct 21, 2023
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Bayshire » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:00 pm

https://www.nysun.com/article/gay-activ ... lestinians

"Homosexual Infitada"

I haven't seen any "homosexual archdiocese." Wonder why this may be

:rofl:
MANGO FIELD
DA BOYZ
ALL STATS ARE 100 PERCENT CANON
Country music is criminally underrated
Signed, a country boy
Who is Bayshire?
American guy
Lying awake intent on tuning in on you <3

User avatar
Ineva
Minister
 
Posts: 3082
Founded: Dec 16, 2023
Corporate Bordello

Postby Ineva » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:02 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Bayshire wrote:Western Muslims are given pass too

Have you noticed that you keep saying things like this, even though it's not true?

It holds slight merit. If you accuse Islam of being homophobic, you'd likely be called Islamophobic. This does not apply to Christianity as much because, at least in the West, there is a mindset that Christians are elitist and privileged, thus making them more susceptible to outspoken criticism. This is a stark contrast when compared to Islam.
Ineva
Ineva, OoC.
Observant CaTETholic.
Second-best F7er of April 2024!
Want a news box? Use the pre tag.
Ineva represents my real political views.
Establish foreign relations with Ineva here.
If you have any questions about G-d, TG me.
Ineva is like Israel. It is not actually Israel.
This Index classifies Ineva as Tier 8, Type 4, Class 2.
IC population is 11.12 million. Everything else is canon.
A cordial thank you to Statesburg for teaching me about the pre tag.
Abortion is murder.
Stand with ISRAEL.
FTR2TS = Genocide.
- Inevan Signature News - Etwepe becomes Registered Ally | Nu Elysium becomes Registered Foe | Memorial service held for Goo Goo | Memorial service held for The second Akane Kurokawa | Ancientania becomes Registered Ally | Ravemath becomes Registered Ally

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 164339
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:03 pm

Bayshire wrote:https://www.nysun.com/article/gay-activists-in-seattle-declare-homosexual-intifada-in-support-of-palestinians

"Homosexual Infitada"

I haven't seen any "homosexual archdiocese." Wonder why this may be

:rofl:

What is your point?
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

User avatar
Texasiana
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Nov 09, 2023
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Texasiana » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:04 pm

homosexuality is forbidden in islam because it is a useless activity that drags down society :/ not rocket science

User avatar
Bayshire
Diplomat
 
Posts: 988
Founded: Oct 21, 2023
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Bayshire » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:05 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Bayshire wrote:https://www.nysun.com/article/gay-activists-in-seattle-declare-homosexual-intifada-in-support-of-palestinians

"Homosexual Infitada"

I haven't seen any "homosexual archdiocese." Wonder why this may be

:rofl:

What is your point?



The point is, Islam is given a pass for its homophobia, as I've been saying. It is incredibly foolish to even conceptualize the idea of a "Homosexual Infitada" when the real infitada would have you dead. But left leaning just have to support the poor little Muslims, and thus make dense political statements
MANGO FIELD
DA BOYZ
ALL STATS ARE 100 PERCENT CANON
Country music is criminally underrated
Signed, a country boy
Who is Bayshire?
American guy
Lying awake intent on tuning in on you <3

User avatar
Ineva
Minister
 
Posts: 3082
Founded: Dec 16, 2023
Corporate Bordello

Postby Ineva » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:06 pm

Texasiana wrote:homosexuality is forbidden in islam because it is a useless activity that drags down society :/ not rocket science

The opening question was not why there is homophobia in Islam, it was why homophobia is accepted in Islam.
Ineva
Ineva, OoC.
Observant CaTETholic.
Second-best F7er of April 2024!
Want a news box? Use the pre tag.
Ineva represents my real political views.
Establish foreign relations with Ineva here.
If you have any questions about G-d, TG me.
Ineva is like Israel. It is not actually Israel.
This Index classifies Ineva as Tier 8, Type 4, Class 2.
IC population is 11.12 million. Everything else is canon.
A cordial thank you to Statesburg for teaching me about the pre tag.
Abortion is murder.
Stand with ISRAEL.
FTR2TS = Genocide.
- Inevan Signature News - Etwepe becomes Registered Ally | Nu Elysium becomes Registered Foe | Memorial service held for Goo Goo | Memorial service held for The second Akane Kurokawa | Ancientania becomes Registered Ally | Ravemath becomes Registered Ally

User avatar
Texasiana
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Nov 09, 2023
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Texasiana » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:06 pm

Ineva wrote:
Texasiana wrote:homosexuality is forbidden in islam because it is a useless activity that drags down society :/ not rocket science

The opening question was not why there is homophobia in Islam, it was why homophobia is accepted in Islam.

i answered the question

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Catboiistan, Godular, Grinning Dragon, Ifreann, Jolthig, Kostane, Love Peace and Friendship, Mardesurria, Misdainana, Soviet Haaregrad, Spirit of Hope, The Community of Cascadia, The Greater Ohio Valley, Trump Almighty, USHALLNOTPASS, Valrifall, Vendellamoore, Zantalio

Advertisement

Remove ads