NATION

PASSWORD

Whose football wins and why

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:51 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Cloddhopper-Love wrote:football is the wuss' game.

Go rugby

Rugby's a code of football. :meh:

Umm, yes?

Just saying that to say "football is a wuss' game", would be to say that all codes of football are a wuss' game, and therefore, Rugby would be too by that logic.

Southern Rynisia
Secretary

Founded: Apr 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Southern Rynisia » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:56 pm

My football!

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:01 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

Go rugby

Umm, yes?

Just saying that to say "football is a wuss' game", would be to say that all codes of football are a wuss' game, and therefore, Rugby would be too by that logic.

Oh I didn't see that. The only version of football which is a wuss game is American Football, fancy using all that protection take your tackles and knocks like a real man. :p
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:05 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

Go rugby

Umm, yes?

Oh I didn't see that. The only version of football which is a wuss game is American Football, fancy using all that protection take your tackles and knocks like a real man. :p

Not when I play it, they just do that cause they sink shit-tonnes of money into those guys...Noone's done so to me and my friends, so we do them pretty hardcore, no pads, :)

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:09 pm

Maurepas wrote:Not when I play it, they just do that cause they sink shit-tonnes of money into those guys...Noone's done so to me and my friends, so we do them pretty hardcore, no pads, :)

So they never used to use padding and helmets till it turned professional and into big business?
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic

DBC26-Winner

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:12 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Not when I play it, they just do that cause they sink shit-tonnes of money into those guys...Noone's done so to me and my friends, so we do them pretty hardcore, no pads, :)

So they never used to use padding and helmets till it turned professional and into big business?

Not really no, I think they wore a leather cap back in the day, but, IIRC, that was about it. Big business and a fear of injuries in schools are what prompted the pads I believe.

Hell, back then you couldn't pass, so, you didn't have a choice but to take the hit, >_>

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:15 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:

Not really no, I think they wore a leather cap back in the day, but, IIRC, that was about it. Big business and a fear of injuries in schools are what prompted the pads I believe.

Hell, back then you couldn't pass, so, you didn't have a choice but to take the hit, >_>

Interesting.

DBC26-Winner

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:16 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:

Interesting.

The passing thing can thank California about, you still have people down here that bitch about that, :lol2:

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:33 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:

Interesting.

The passing thing can thank California about, you still have people down here that bitch about that, :lol2:

Haha, doesn't it make it a one man against a team game without passing?

DBC26-Winner

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:35 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:

Interesting.

Haha, doesn't it make it a one man against a team game without passing?

Not really, basically it entailed alot more running, and alot more laterals, did you ever see the "River City Relay" play? It's kinda like that.

Minus the pass at the beginning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Od9C2dKiCI

That was an incredibly disappointing game though, >_>
Last edited by Maurepas on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordonopia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gordonopia » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:41 pm

American football wins every time. The players are bigger, faster and have more athletic prowess. Also, the sport is way more fun to watch. Finally, American football has the BEST team on the planet (yes, I'm plugging):

Oh yeah... That's some good stuff right there.
President of the World Assembly Conservative Union. Founder and WA Delegate of Moralistic Autocracies .

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:43 pm

Maurepas wrote:Not really, basically it entailed alot more running, and alot more laterals, did you ever see the "River City Relay" play? It's kinda like that.

So like that put without all the passing?

Though that did look pretty intense and I forgot you had blockers.

DBC26-Winner

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:44 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Not really, basically it entailed alot more running, and alot more laterals, did you ever see the "River City Relay" play? It's kinda like that.

So like that put without all the passing?

Though that did look pretty intense and I forgot you had blockers.

I forgot, technical terminology I guess, :lol2:

A lateral in American Football is different from a Pass, a lateral can be thrown to the side and behind you, a pass can be thrown forward.

Basically, back in the day, you couldn't throw in front of you. So, there was only one pass in that play, the first throw.
Last edited by Maurepas on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:02 am

Maurepas wrote:I forgot, technical terminology I guess, :lol2:

A lateral in American Football is different from a Pass, a lateral can be thrown to the side and behind you, a pass can be thrown forward.

Basically, back in the day, you couldn't throw in front of you. So, there was only one pass in that play, the first throw.

Oh ok, that makes a bit more sense.

Rugby league still has that old rule passing the ball must be behind the play not forward.

DBC26-Winner

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:04 am

Blouman Empire wrote:

Rugby league still has that old rule passing the ball must be behind the play not forward.

Definitely lends credence to the theory that American Football was based on Rugby.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:44 am

Maurepas wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:

Definitely lends credence to the theory that American Football was based on Rugby.

Yeah it does.

DBC26-Winner

Errinundera
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Errinundera » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:05 am

As an Australian Rules fan I'd have to say that soccer is more interesting to watch than grid-iron. There's far too much time when nothing is happening in grid-iron although the tactics are fascinating.

The different body types that pre-dominate in the sports are also interesting. The best soccer players are usually short and have a low centre of gravity. Grid-iron players are tall and strong, Australian Rules players are moderate to tall in height but very fast.

Oh. And rugby players have no necks.
Last edited by Errinundera on Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world is not cyclical, not eternal or immutable, but endlessly transforms itself, and never goes back, and we can assist in that transformation.

Live on, survive, for the earth gives forth wonders. It may swallow your heart, but the wonders keep on coming. You stand before them bareheaded, shriven. What is expected of you is attention.

(Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet)

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:21 am

Do that for a whole match and it's... Rugby. Essentially.
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:14 am

Gordonopia wrote:American football wins every time. The players are bigger, faster and have more athletic prowess.

Uh-huh... :roll:
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Zoogie People
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zoogie People » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:23 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Gordonopia wrote:American football wins every time. The players are bigger, faster and have more athletic prowess.

Uh-huh... :roll:

Not that having better physique means anything. Gymnastics or weightlifting requires some of the most intensive physiques, but that doesn't make them more fun to watch than soccer. But NFL players are big and strong and fast, and there's no sense cherrypicking some fat guy - who is still incredibly powerful into trying to prove a point.
Last edited by The Zoogie People on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrewboy
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Andrewboy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:30 am

football:
they cant take a hit without 60 pounds of protection

its a copy of rugby

very few people outside North America care about it

They break for comercials every 2 seconds

soccer:
more people like it, in fact its the most popluar sport in the world

It takes more skill

theres about the same amount of tactics, except soccer players have to have the mental ablitity to change those tactics depending on what oponents do.

Its tougher(soccer players only have shin pads, and trust me, they dont do much)

It has bigger franchises

it dosent need a draft every year to keep people whos teams suck intrested.
World Cup 51 Qualifying
world cup of hockey 10:group stage
Coh 42 Quarter Finals
World Cup 50 qualyifying
Fustal world cup II:group stage
Pool world cup 1:Broomstone:2end place, Willkins: 2end round, Harvord: 2end round
Baptism of fire 36: round of 16
World cup 49: Qualifing
Burchandiger invitational cup 1: round of 16
Fustal world cup 3: Group Stage
Ebyria Regional Cup: 1st
Di Barandi cup 13: group stage
Womens World Cup 12: group stage

all hail ceiling cat
the last enemy that shall be defeated is death
98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig
Ultimate Man united fan.
F7 minister of elimination games

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:37 am

Andrewboy wrote:football:
they cant take a hit without 60 pounds of protection
Actually they probably can. But it's safer with the protection.

its a copy of rugby
Hardly. They can throw forwards.

very few people outside North America care about it
Oh noes. That is irrelevant.

They break for comercials every 2 seconds
Exaggeration

soccer:
more people like it, in fact its the most popluar sport in the world
Arguable. Probably true, but still arguable.

It takes more skill
Again arguable. Dodging 150 kilogram things running at you is fairly skilful.

theres about the same amount of tactics, except soccer players have to have the mental ablitity to change those tactics depending on what oponents do.
And you're saying that American Football players can't do this?

Its tougher(soccer players only have shin pads, and trust me, they dont do much)
Oh noes.

It has bigger franchises
A couple larger, many of the top few are NFL sides.

That's because they don't have relegation. It's so you don't get dominated by 4 or 5 teams, unlike things like the Premier League, Serie A and the Spanish League whatever it's called.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:38 am

they cant take a hit without 60 pounds of protection4

its a copy of rugby2

very few people outside North America care about it1

They break for comercials every 2 seconds3

soccer:
more people like it, in fact its the most popluar sport in the world1

It takes more skill5

theres about the same amount of tactics, except soccer players have to have the mental ablitity to change those tactics depending on what oponents do.6

Its tougher(soccer players only have shin pads, and trust me, they dont do much)4

It has bigger franchises1

1: More popular doesn't mean objectively better.
2: Derivative of, not copy of.
3: Exaggeration, to say the least and commercial breaks aren't a part of the game.
4: "Soccer" players (as would rugby players) would wear as much padding as American football players if they had to endure they same kind of hits...
5: Not more skill, simply a different skill set.
6: As do American football players...
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Andrewboy
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Andrewboy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:40 am

Dyakovo wrote:

its a copy of rugby2

soccer:

It takes more skill5

theres about the same amount of tactics, except soccer players have to have the mental ablitity to change those tactics depending on what oponents do.6

Its tougher(soccer players only have shin pads, and trust me, they dont do much)4

3: Exaggeration, to say the least and commercial breaks aren't a part of the game.
4: "Soccer" players (as would rugby players) would wear as much padding as American football players if they had to endure they same kind of hits...

your points token, but on number 6 and 5, soccer players do it better
World Cup 51 Qualifying
world cup of hockey 10:group stage
Coh 42 Quarter Finals
World Cup 50 qualyifying
Fustal world cup II:group stage
Pool world cup 1:Broomstone:2end place, Willkins: 2end round, Harvord: 2end round
Baptism of fire 36: round of 16
World cup 49: Qualifing
Burchandiger invitational cup 1: round of 16
Fustal world cup 3: Group Stage
Ebyria Regional Cup: 1st
Di Barandi cup 13: group stage
Womens World Cup 12: group stage

all hail ceiling cat
the last enemy that shall be defeated is death
98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig
Ultimate Man united fan.
F7 minister of elimination games

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:43 am

Andrewboy wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:

its a copy of rugby2

soccer:

It takes more skill5

your points token, but on number 6 and 5, soccer players do it better

6: The games are different, association football is more free-form by design than American football
5: :blink: Association football players are better at having a different skill set than American football players? :blink:
Married to Koshka

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General