NATION

PASSWORD

Whose football wins and why

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Central World Alliance
Spokesperson

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Whose football wins and why

Postby Central World Alliance » Sun May 30, 2010 6:43 pm

Does American football beat regular football and why.

I would like a good long and four day debate on this!
It's not illegal it's only frowned upon by most countries.
AWESOME!
I Came to Play
Immune to Fear
My Map http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn20 ... dAllia.png

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun May 30, 2010 6:49 pm

Central World Alliance wrote:Does American football beat regular football and why.

I would like a good long and four day debate on this!

American, because the players are bigger and wear Armour.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Plutonian Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2004
Libertarian Police State

Postby The Plutonian Empire » Sun May 30, 2010 6:58 pm

American, obviously. The players are bigger, faster, stronger.

/thread
Pro: Nukes, Imperialism, LGBT+ Rights, Welfare, Universal Basic Income, Universal Healthcare, Womens' Rights, Equal Pay, Space & Science prioritizaiton, Privacy, Net Neutrality, Abortion, Environmentalism, Free Love Freedom.
Neutral: Religion.
Against: Capitalism, Fascism, Surveillance, Police Militarization, Misogyny, Thought Policing.

RIP: Grandma Pat, 1934 - 2009
Celestia 1.6.1., Space Engine 0.980, Lavender Skies
Political Compass as of: Dec. 23, 2018
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun May 30, 2010 7:02 pm

Is there really that much skill in having brick walls run into brick walls,

Not really,
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

E Fluxembourg
Attaché

Founded: Apr 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby E Fluxembourg » Sun May 30, 2010 7:03 pm

does it really matter, lets play some tennis?
~E RULES!~

Conservative Alliances
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Alliances » Sun May 30, 2010 7:05 pm

American football.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I am the Ghost of Sparta
Member of the Ebul NSG Right-Wing Establishment
Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
Spectrum
Foriegn Affairs
Cultural
Political Spectrum Quiz
Essentially a mix of the American Dream and 1950s culture with futuristic technology.
Rhodmhire wrote:I love you.
Liuzzo wrote:Conversely Conservative Alliances, Vetalia, and others make terrific arguments that people may not agree with but you can discuss.
Glorious Homeland wrote:Although some individuals provided counter-points which tended to put to bed a few of my previous statements (conservative alliances, zoingo)

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Sun May 30, 2010 7:11 pm

American. Canadian is OK, but Australian and Gaelic are just weird.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Sun May 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Association football. American football is far too slow paced with too many breaks and stoppages to keep me entertained.

Zykorinov
Minister

Founded: Nov 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zykorinov » Sun May 30, 2010 7:12 pm

E Fluxembourg wrote:does it really matter, lets play some tennis?

Yeah! Yeah! Tennis! Wheeeew! Tennissss!!!
i̛̺̯̝̥̗̬̲'̢̺͎͎̏ͪ̏ͪ̓m͚̠̑̊ͥͯͣ ̩͍͈̓͂͂̿a̛̬̞̗̻̱͎̙̔ ̱̮̜͗ͫfͬ́ͭ̽͏̤͍̟̤͖̼a̯͇ͣ̒̃͐̈́m͖̞̘̉̍ͦ͆ͯoͯ̆͗ͫ̽͏̰̻̜̬̲̞̺u͂ͪ̎ͥ̿̅̾̕ṣ͕͇̭ͩ͂͠ ̠̟͗̃̾͋ͩͅs̢͎̻̟̙͖̖̬ͪ̏̈̅t̝̮̥̳̭͍̥ͦ͊ǫ̪̥̾̿̏̾ͩͩ̅r̼͖̘̤̈͗̈́m̡̼͎̦̙̜̜ͪͫ̆̃̅ͩẗ̢̠͍́͗ͥ̈rͣ̾̌͏͎̤̣͉̮̹͙o̖̞͕͌o͖̯͙̝̺̔ͥ̓̽̒͑͝p͆e̙͌̍ͧͨr̵͇̳̲̼͎͛ͭͦͧ͛ͦͣ

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Sun May 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Central World Alliance wrote:Does American football beat regular football and why.

American football is "regular football."
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun May 30, 2010 7:13 pm

American, cause they have a team in New Orleans, 8)

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun May 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Frankly I'm not sure how the Americans have the audacity to even call it football,

Throwball perhaps, meatball maybe, football not really,

American football is all tactics and no skill, unless there's supposed to be some skill in running into another 6ft 3" 300lb brainless vegetable of muscle, it's a freak show,

The point of American football is to take any initiative away from the players, the less they think the better,

It's like comparing WWF to welterweight boxing,

Marcurix
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Sun May 30, 2010 7:16 pm

"Regular football" beats American simply on one important concept.

They use their feet to move the ball most the time.

Hence football

/Thread.

Besides American football is a rip off of rugby, and the latter is much more entertaining to watch.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
-Winston Churchill

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Sun May 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Barringtonia wrote:American football is all tactics and no skill,

You mean like reliably coordinating throwing a ball to a precise point on the field at a certain time, and another player being at that exact point on the field at that exact time regardless of what obstacles are in his way? Or recognizing how an offensive lineman is moving to block you so you can make sure you avoid him to get to the runner or quarterback?

The point of American football is to take any initiative away from the players, the less they think the better,

Not at all. The called play only holds until the ball is snapped; after that, it's all about reading what the other person is doing and using your brain to adapt from the called play to what actually happens on the field. If you don't make adjustments to how you run your route based on how the cornerback actually covers you, if you don't make adjustments to where you cut upfield to make your run based on how the holes actually open up, if you don't make adjustments to what player you cover based on how the receivers actually progress downfield, you're toast.

All you've managed to demonstrate is that you know zilch about what football actually entails.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Sun May 30, 2010 7:22 pm

It really depends on what you want to watch in a sport.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun May 30, 2010 7:24 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:

You mean like reliably coordinating throwing a ball to a precise point on the field at a certain time, and another player being at that exact point on the field at that exact time regardless of what obstacles are in his way?

You could train robots,

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Sun May 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Barringtonia wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:

You mean like reliably coordinating throwing a ball to a precise point on the field at a certain time, and another player being at that exact point on the field at that exact time regardless of what obstacles are in his way?

You could train robots,

And it'd be a lot easier to do than it would be to get a human to do it.

You can train robots to weld. Does that mean that welding is not a "skill"?

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sun May 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Regular football wins hands down. It's something that I can actually stand watching/playing. :p
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Sun May 30, 2010 7:59 pm

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun May 30, 2010 8:01 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:

You could train robots,

And it'd be a lot easier to do than it would be to get a human to do it.

You can train robots to weld. Does that mean that welding is not a "skill"?

Yes, American football is a bit like welding,
Last edited by Barringtonia on Sun May 30, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spartinth
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Spartinth » Sun May 30, 2010 8:05 pm

American is the only football i care about because it has the best player of all time BRETT FARVE!!!!!!!!
National Information
- King Charles Bone I
- Crown Prince Charles Bone II
Imperial High Commissioner of the Imperial Commonwealth
Member of the Humanitarian Relief Organization
newmassachusetts is our colony

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sun May 30, 2010 8:08 pm

ugg same old quibble point in football.

They're as ridiculous as each other. they each have their own dogmatic following of reasonable supporters with minority groups practising religious hatred and wierd schemes. Each of the 'camps' also have massive problems with gay/homosexual relationships, which can be mirrored in the societies they represent or the societies they're supposed to represent.

What makes me unhappy is UK football teams (and probably most other big clubs) giving astronomical salaries to players which i think is wholly out of the spirit of the games and sports in general.
I don't particularly mind large salaries of a few hundred grand a year for good players i mean it's inevitible in big sports, but anything over a million is fucking stupid.

Thing is i actually enjoyed playing football when i was a regular it was fun, and there's plenty of benefits of practising a sport. but i never joined an official team for a league for some reason league and professional playing seems to invite increased violence on and off the pitch.

Plus the whole alcohol culture wrapped up with it is incredibly damaging, for hosting big games cities become magnets for trouble-makers, and incidences of domestic violence sky-rocket. again i'm just talking about footy/soccer idk if the same can be said for American football. but i'll hedge my bets and say yes it is exactly the same.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun May 30, 2010 8:11 pm

I like the name many people I know from Ireland use for American Football. Gridiron. Now that's a name for a sport.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun May 30, 2010 8:17 pm

Barringtonia wrote:Frankly I'm not sure how the Americans have the audacity to even call it football,

Throwball perhaps, meatball maybe, football not really,

American football is all tactics and no skill, unless there's supposed to be some skill in running into another 6ft 3" 300lb brainless vegetable of muscle, it's a freak show,

It's like comparing WWF to welterweight boxing,

Maybe on the Line, but, it really depends on the position, the Quarterback, Runningbacks, Receivers, Ends, Linebackers, Safties, etc., all of those things consist of alot more strategy and skill than simply smashing into something...

What you're doing is like looking at just the fights in Hockey, and concluding that it has no value as a sport...
Last edited by Maurepas on Sun May 30, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun May 30, 2010 8:19 pm

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:ugg same old quibble point in football.

They're as ridiculous as each other. they each have their own dogmatic following of reasonable supporters with minority groups practising religious hatred and wierd schemes. Each of the 'camps' also have massive problems with gay/homosexual relationships, which can be mirrored in the societies they represent or the societies they're supposed to represent.

What makes me unhappy is UK football teams (and probably most other big clubs) giving astronomical salaries to players which i think is wholly out of the spirit of the games and sports in general.
I don't particularly mind large salaries of a few hundred grand a year for good players i mean it's inevitible in big sports, but anything over a million is fucking stupid.

Thing is i actually enjoyed playing football when i was a regular it was fun, and there's plenty of benefits of practising a sport. but i never joined an official team for a league for some reason league and professional playing seems to invite increased violence on and off the pitch.

Plus the whole alcohol culture wrapped up with it is incredibly damaging, for hosting big games cities become magnets for trouble-makers, and incidences of domestic violence sky-rocket. again i'm just talking about footy/soccer idk if the same can be said for American football. but i'll hedge my bets and say yes it is exactly the same.

It is exactly the same, to the 't', and I agree with you entirely...

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General