NATION

PASSWORD

Georgia's Move to Ban Abortion.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Re: Georgia's Move to Ban Abortion.

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:25 pm

No Names Left Damn It wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:Hell - it's not actually even limited to women.

That's astounding. I assume you have a source?

Just google "male lactation." I got 1.7 million hits. :blink:
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:28 pm

Chazicaria wrote:yes actually my mom faced it 5 times my aunt 3 times my grandmother 9 times and my other aunts several times

So - a girl who has sex one time and decides to get an abortion is... what was your wording, 'a slutty slut'?

And yet your grandmother had 9 children? And your mother had 5?

Wouldn't that make your own mother and grandmother 'sluts'?

I am just using your logic...
I identify as
a problem

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:29 pm

Galloism wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:I'd still say, personally, that there has to be exception for special cases. The 13 year old who doesn't want to have her daddy's baby, for example.

And why did the 13 year old wait until she was 7-8 months pregnant to look into an abortion? I disagree on that particular exception, unless of course there is a significant medical risk to the 13 year old in having this child (as there likely would be).

Fear of retribution? Ignorance?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:31 pm

No Names Left Damn It wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:Hell - it's not actually even limited to women.

That's astounding. I assume you have a source?

Anything with breast tissue can lactate if the right hormones get to the breast tissue.

Dyakovo wrote:
Galloism wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:I'd still say, personally, that there has to be exception for special cases. The 13 year old who doesn't want to have her daddy's baby, for example.

And why did the 13 year old wait until she was 7-8 months pregnant to look into an abortion? I disagree on that particular exception, unless of course there is a significant medical risk to the 13 year old in having this child (as there likely would be).

Bingo. Usually a 13-year-old girl carrying Daddy's child is only carrying Daddy's child as a result of Daddy being abusive to said 13-year-old girl.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:31 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Galloism wrote:

Neither of which is good reason to kill a viable human being to me. It's unfortunate, really it is, but it's not a good reason to kill a viable fetus if both the fetus and the child can be preserved.

I would suggest though that the baby go up for adoption.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:35 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Chazicaria wrote:you see thats why i hate scientists and those who side with them all they do is invent new resons for murder.

I'm a scientist. You hate me? You don't even know me!

Of course, you probably would hate me if you knew me, but that's not the point...

Really?

What's your field of study?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:36 pm

Galloism wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:
Galloism wrote:And why did the 13 year old wait until she was 7-8 months pregnant to look into an abortion? I disagree on that particular exception, unless of course there is a significant medical risk to the 13 year old in having this child (as there likely would be).

Neither of which is good reason to kill a viable human being to me. It's unfortunate, really it is, but it's not a good reason to kill a viable fetus if both the fetus and the child can be preserved.

I would suggest though that the baby go up for adoption.

7 to 8 months on? I have to reluctantly go with Galloism here, unless the pregnancy is actually endangering her health. Can't make a rule, I think, it needs to be evaluated case-by-case. And this very sort of thing is why sex education has to be more than "Just say no."

As to how a woman can be unaware she's pregnant? Apparently it's common enough that there's a ten-part show on cable:

I DIDN'T KNOW I WAS PREGNANT (HEALTH)
BROADCAST HISTORY:
5/26/09 - ???
currently airing (summer 2009)
TIME SLOT:
tuesdays from 9:00 PM-10:00 PM EST
CURRENT SEASON:
1 (??? episodes)
VISIT THE OFFICIAL WEB SITE
DESCRIPTION:
(from Discovery Health's press release, May 2009) Discovery Health's popular special I DIDN'T KNOW I WAS PREGNANT is now a ten-part series! Beginning Tuesday, May 26 at 9 PM (ET/PT), this compelling documentary explores the fascinating and utterly unbelievable phenomenon of women who were completely unaware they were pregnant until they went into labor. Each episode follows the incredible stories of these women's unknown pregnancies through re-enactments and real-life interviews, as the lives of both mom and baby are jeopardized through the mysterious nine-month journey.

Words fail me.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:37 pm

Farnhamia wrote:Words fail me.

I would think the lack of period would be a really big hint, but what do I know.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Galloism wrote:And why did the 13 year old wait until she was 7-8 months pregnant to look into an abortion? I disagree on that particular exception, unless of course there is a significant medical risk to the 13 year old in having this child (as there likely would be).

Because it's only into late term when it becomes obvious that the 13 year old is pregnant? Maybe that's the earliest she gets the chance, or even realises there's a choice?

I have a sister-in-law who works in a North East Georgia hospital (and I believe Dempublicents has'had a relationship in another rural Georgia hospital, to corroborate) who says they see a disproportionately high level of young teen incest pregnancies, usually late term. Maybe that just says something about rural Georgia.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:39 pm

Galloism wrote:

I would think the lack of period would be a really big hint, but what do I know.

Only if you assume that periods occur like clockwork. If I were going to measure by menstruation, we'd never have known when my wife was pregnant, because her periods can be three weeks apart, or six months.
I identify as
a problem

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:40 pm

Galloism wrote:

I seem to recall there being other factors that can cause menstruation to stop...

Also, I do believe there have been instances where a pregnant woman continues menstruating...
I don't have any sources for that so I'll have to get back to you on it.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:40 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Chazicaria wrote:you see thats why i hate scientists and those who side with them all they do is invent new resons for murder.

I'm a scientist. You hate me? You don't even know me!

Of course, you probably would hate me if you knew me, but that's not the point...

Really?

What's your field of study?

I'm a chemist.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:41 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Galloism wrote:

I seem to recall there being other factors that can cause menstruation to stop...

Also, I do believe there have been instances where a pregnant woman continues menstruating...

Both these things are true.

Stress can stop menstruation. Anorexia can stop menstruation. Both are not uncommon.

Women often bleed during pregnancy. They call it 'break-through bleeding', I believe.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:42 pm

Milks Empire wrote:Anything with breast tissue can lactate if the right hormones get to the breast tissue.

Ah, Dr House - is there ANYTHING you can't teach us?

I'm not the only one who saw that episode, right?
I identify as
a problem

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:42 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:
Galloism wrote:

Both these things are true.

Stress can stop menstruation. Anorexia can stop menstruation. Both are not uncommon.

Women often bleed during pregnancy. They call it 'break-through bleeding', I believe.

Yup, found a link for it as well...
http://www.pregnancywizard.com/trimeste ... uation.php
Married to Koshka

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Because it's only into late term when it becomes obvious that the 13 year old is pregnant? Maybe that's the earliest she gets the chance, or even realises there's a choice?

I have a sister-in-law who works in a North East Georgia hospital (and I believe Dempublicents has'had a relationship in another rural Georgia hospital, to corroborate) who says they see a disproportionately high level of young teen incest pregnancies, usually late term. Maybe that just says something about rural Georgia.

Sounds like Georgia. :p

But no, I don't think ignorance or fear is good enough reason to kill a fully viable homo-sapien once it can survive outside the body of its mother.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Dyakovo wrote:Yup, found a link for it as well...
http://www.pregnancywizard.com/trimeste ... uation.php

Interesting. I learned something today.

Trve
Envoy

Founded: Dec 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Trve » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Yeah, I much prefer the religious, who just use a bunch of old books for reasons to murder.
KoL
Economic Left/Right: -9.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:07 pm

Trve wrote:

Yeah, I much prefer the religious, who just use a bunch of old books for reasons to murder.

Well, old reasons are always better than new reasons...
Married to Koshka

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:14 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Milks Empire wrote:Anything with breast tissue can lactate if the right hormones get to the breast tissue.

Haven't seen it or don't remember it. Please don't divulge anything more than season and episode number. I wanna see for myself!

Trve
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Trve » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Trve wrote:

Speaking of which, is that shirt youre wearing made of more then one material?
KoL

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:18 pm

Trve wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:
Trve wrote:Yeah, I much prefer the religious, who just use a bunch of old books for reasons to murder.

Speaking of which, is that shirt youre wearing made of more then one material?

Nope, I'm not wearing a shirt.
Married to Koshka

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:21 pm

If you hate scientists, then get off the internet, don't use electricity, don't take medication or bathe, stop using clean running water, plant and grow your own food, and don't drive a car or use any other modern transportation. What amongst those things is a "reson" [sic] for murder?
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Trve
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Trve » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:22 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:

If you hate scientists, then get off the internet, don't use electricity, don't take medication or bathe, stop using clean running water, plant and grow your own food, and don't drive a car or use any other modern transportation. What amongst those things is a "reson" [sic] for murder?

Those were all gifts from Gawd and had nothing to do with science. The only thing science does is fake global warming evidence and kill babies.
KoL

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:29 pm

Milks Empire wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

Haven't seen it or don't remember it. Please don't divulge anything more than season and episode number. I wanna see for myself!

I couldn't even tell you what season, my wife is the fan, really. And, I'll not tell you anymore, anyway, because I wouldn't want to give it away.

Just remember this conversation when you finally see it, and go "Oh, THAT's what he was talking about" :D
I identify as
a problem

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General