NATION

PASSWORD

US Balkanisation - Is it time?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the US Balkanise?

Yes, completely.
11%
Yes, but split the states into two nations based on political alignment.
5%
Yes, but form a regional organisation similar to the European Union.
13%
No.
72%

Total votes : 239

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon May 15, 2023 1:36 pm

Rusozak wrote:
Independent Republic of Boldonia wrote:I get the news from America can seem scary to all of you foreigners, but the United States is nowhere near the verge of collapse. I live in a red state, Tennessee, one that you always see on the news. Yet, I struggle to think of one way that partisan politics in my state has made my life worse in a significant way. If you knew nothing about Tennessee and traveled there at two times years apart the only differences you could see would be attributed to the passage of time, not partisanship.

But it's not just how you are doing, but others living in your state too. Can the same be said of the people the GOP has persecuted? Can a transgender person living in Tennessee honestly say the partisanship of the state hasn't negatively impacted their lives?

If they live anywhere near pigeon forge I would say they are doing pretty damm good.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 03, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby American Legionaries » Mon May 15, 2023 1:37 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Kernen wrote:To be fair, the idea of armed conflict with Massachusetts does sound like fun...

Just because they don't know how to drive is no reason to blow them up.

Poor driving is the best casus belli in the modern age. Forget all that "state sponsor of terrorism" bullshit, we need a war on highway douchebaggery.

Theodores Tomfooleries
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Theodores Tomfooleries » Mon May 15, 2023 1:38 pm

Countesia wrote:

Ever since the Obama administration the United States has become increasingly more polarised between the Democrat and Republican party to the point very few politicians, even its own populace, have an overlap in beliefs.

Talks of civil war, or the 'Boogaloo' are almost regular conversation among certain groups.

Needless to say, people do not like the federal government unless a politician of their liking is in power. The Trump and Biden administrations have only proven this further. Laws signed by both presidents have been hugely unpopular in red and blue states. Trump's travel bans, transgender military exclusions and Bidens Respect for Marriage Act are two examples of this.

It is safe to say that at any given time at least 50% of the country does not like the federal government.

So why have a federal government? To an outsider looking in, all i can see is a politically stagnant nation held back by a deeply divided congress that relies on a party majority to accomplish anything. Any so called 'Bipartisan' bills are normally very lopsided when it comes to votes. I used to be against the idea of a national divorce, now i'm thinking that batshit crazy Marjorie Taylor Greene might have a point as much as that hurts to say.

Would it not be better for each individual state to have complete self determination, NS?

One and Indivisible.
"Proletarians of the World, Unite! You Have Nothing to Lose but Your Chains!"

• Lover of Lenin, Charles Marcus and Men™ • Left-Leninist • Mentally unstable Queer
she/he/they

I write on iiWiki @here

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon May 15, 2023 1:39 pm

American Legionaries wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Just because they don't know how to drive is no reason to blow them up.

Poor driving is the best casus belli in the modern age. Forget all that "state sponsor of terrorism" bullshit, we need a war on highway douchebaggery.

We attack Maryland at dawn.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Duncaq
Secretary

Founded: Dec 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Duncaq » Mon May 15, 2023 1:39 pm

Hispida wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:Oh ok. Obama started the hate and the US is better off as 50 countries which will magically start working together.

Why is it NSG has a thing for Civil War 2.0?

actually, i was radicalized by biden.

Isn't that akin to being radicalized by a damp sheep? Or radicalized by Liz Truss?! I mean, I can't think of anyone *less* radical than Joe Biden

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Postby American Legionaries » Mon May 15, 2023 1:39 pm

Theodores Tomfooleries wrote:
Countesia wrote:

Ever since the Obama administration the United States has become increasingly more polarised between the Democrat and Republican party to the point very few politicians, even its own populace, have an overlap in beliefs.

Talks of civil war, or the 'Boogaloo' are almost regular conversation among certain groups.

Needless to say, people do not like the federal government unless a politician of their liking is in power. The Trump and Biden administrations have only proven this further. Laws signed by both presidents have been hugely unpopular in red and blue states. Trump's travel bans, transgender military exclusions and Bidens Respect for Marriage Act are two examples of this.

It is safe to say that at any given time at least 50% of the country does not like the federal government.

So why have a federal government? To an outsider looking in, all i can see is a politically stagnant nation held back by a deeply divided congress that relies on a party majority to accomplish anything. Any so called 'Bipartisan' bills are normally very lopsided when it comes to votes. I used to be against the idea of a national divorce, now i'm thinking that batshit crazy Marjorie Taylor Greene might have a point as much as that hurts to say.

Would it not be better for each individual state to have complete self determination, NS?

One and Indivisible.

The indivisible part is quite clearly a fairy tale.

Theodores Tomfooleries
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Theodores Tomfooleries » Mon May 15, 2023 1:51 pm

Theodores Tomfooleries wrote:One and Indivisible.

Sorry Legionaries, but I have wonderful people- very wonderful and talented people by the way- who work for me, and they all say that what you're saying is bogus. It's a hoax, folks! America is one nation and cannot be divided. My father told me that and it still rings true even today. That says all you need to know.
Last edited by Theodores Tomfooleries on Mon May 15, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Lover of Lenin, Charles Marcus and Men™ • Left-Leninist • Mentally unstable Queer
she/he/they

I write on iiWiki @here

Lodhs beard
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 03, 2019
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lodhs beard » Mon May 15, 2023 1:56 pm

Just imagine the chaos, if there was any 'balkanisation'/national divorce of the US: the dangers of the world's largest nuclear arsenal being divided up, and a few warheads being "Lost in transit" alone would be catastrophic. Then there come all the other logistical issues: How would the national debt be divided between states? By population? By GDP? By the amount each is estimated to have contributed to the national debt? Or maybe a default, and the collapse of the world's financial systems?

Even if the merits of American Balkanisation outweigh the downsides (which I do not believe), the logistics of dividing the assets (and liabilities) of the world's most advanced military and largest economy amongst constituent states is such a gargantuan task that in practice, any effort to bring about a national divorce would lead to secondary consequences of such magnitude that we come to the conclusion: The only thing worse than the United States remaining united, is the United States being divided.
Imperator Mortuus Est

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009

Postby Neu California » Mon May 15, 2023 2:02 pm

This is hardly new. Remember the old Jesus land map based on the results of the 2004 election?
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Postby American Legionaries » Mon May 15, 2023 2:03 pm

Theodores Tomfooleries wrote:

Sorry Legionaries, but I have wonderful people- very wonderful and talented people by the way- who work for me, and they all say that what you're saying is bogus. It's a hoax, folks! America is one nation and cannot be divided. My father told me that and it still rings true even today. That says all you need to know.

It most certainly does.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon May 15, 2023 2:11 pm

Countesia wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Oh sweetums...is this when you tuned in?

I was 12, so I guess

Puppers! Okay, well...history didn't start with puberty, so we have some reading for you to catch up. First, let's tell you 'bout a man named Newt and his terrible plan.

Or a man named Norquist.

Or just catch up on things like the Civil Rights Movement.

Short version, you're decades off.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Bradfordville
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 30, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Bradfordville » Mon May 15, 2023 2:18 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Countesia wrote:
I was 12, so I guess

Puppers! Okay, well...history didn't start with puberty, so we have some reading for you to catch up. First, let's tell you 'bout a man named Newt and his terrible plan.

Or a man named Norquist.

I love when people say "our country isn't as united as it used to be" and I have to remind them of that time when people of different skin colors couldn't even drink from the same water fountain. The United States of America has pretty much never actually been united at heart. If it was, we wouldn't have had that incident that occurred between 1860 and 1865.
Never ask a man his salary, a woman her age, or C.C. DeVille to play a guitar solo.

Eternal Algerstonia wrote:there are no patriots or globalists in russia, just idiots

Bahrimontagn
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 20, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Bahrimontagn » Mon May 15, 2023 2:19 pm

The rest of the world can only hope for the collapse of the United States
"The last person to enter parliament with honest intentions was Guy Fawkes"

Theodores Tomfooleries
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Theodores Tomfooleries » Mon May 15, 2023 2:30 pm

Theodores Tomfooleries wrote:Sorry Legionaries, but I have wonderful people- very wonderful and talented people by the way- who work for me, and they all say that what you're saying is bogus. It's a hoax, folks! America is one nation and cannot be divided. My father told me that and it still rings true even today. That says all you need to know.

It most certainly does.

Wrong.

she/he/they

I write on iiWiki @here

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon May 15, 2023 2:47 pm

Bradfordville wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Puppers! Okay, well...history didn't start with puberty, so we have some reading for you to catch up. First, let's tell you 'bout a man named Newt and his terrible plan.

Or a man named Norquist.

I love when people say "our country isn't as united as it used to be" and I have to remind them of that time when people of different skin colors couldn't even drink from the same water fountain. The United States of America has pretty much never actually been united at heart. If it was, we wouldn't have had that incident that occurred between 1860 and 1865.

Well, during that period where people couldn't drink from the same fountains or eat at the same stores, we went hard on hegemony mythologizing the war effort into a united America with picket fences, chickens in pots, and two cars in every garage since people stopped blowing up the things we made thus creating a built in need for replacements. So people can think back to this time of harmony that existed only in ad copy.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Mon May 15, 2023 3:02 pm

American Legionaries wrote:The indivisible part is quite clearly a fairy tale.

Well people are making political hay out of telling people that it's not indivisible, that people are out to destroy the country, tell their audiences that they need to buy guns and hole up in their homes because [insert political enemy of the day] are coming to get them.

Happy Mothers Day to ALL, in particular the Mothers, Wives and Lovers of the Radical Left, Fascists, Marxists and Communists who are doing everything in their power to destroy and obliterate our once great country. Please make these complete lunatics and maniacs kinder, gentler, softer and, most importantly, smarter so that we can, quickly, MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Lovely.

Because polarized media diets contribute to partisan conflict, our quantitative analysis identified terms indicating antipathy or resentment, such as “dislike,” “despise,” “can’t stand” and “hate.”

We expected to find that both of the strongly ideological networks made use of such words, perhaps in different ways. Instead, we found that Fox used antipathy words five times more often than MSNBC. “Hate” really stood out: It appeared 647 times on Fox, compared to 118 on MSNBC.

Fox usually pairs certain words alongside “hate.” The most notable was “they” – as in, “they hate.” Fox used this phrase 101 times between January and May. MSNBC used it just five times.

Link

So if you really feel America is completely divided, maybe wonder as to the propaganda you're being fed and who you're listening to.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Postby American Legionaries » Mon May 15, 2023 3:04 pm

Bombadil wrote:
American Legionaries wrote:The indivisible part is quite clearly a fairy tale.

Well people are making political hay out of telling people that it's not indivisible, that people are out to destroy the country, tell their audiences that they need to buy guns and hole up in their homes because [insert political enemy of the day] are coming to get them.

Happy Mothers Day to ALL, in particular the Mothers, Wives and Lovers of the Radical Left, Fascists, Marxists and Communists who are doing everything in their power to destroy and obliterate our once great country. Please make these complete lunatics and maniacs kinder, gentler, softer and, most importantly, smarter so that we can, quickly, MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Lovely.

Because polarized media diets contribute to partisan conflict, our quantitative analysis identified terms indicating antipathy or resentment, such as “dislike,” “despise,” “can’t stand” and “hate.”

We expected to find that both of the strongly ideological networks made use of such words, perhaps in different ways. Instead, we found that Fox used antipathy words five times more often than MSNBC. “Hate” really stood out: It appeared 647 times on Fox, compared to 118 on MSNBC.

Fox usually pairs certain words alongside “hate.” The most notable was “they” – as in, “they hate.” Fox used this phrase 101 times between January and May. MSNBC used it just five times.

Link

So if you really feel America is completely divided, maybe wonder as to the propaganda you're being fed and who you're listening to.

I'm listening to the legislature.

Southland
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Southland » Mon May 15, 2023 3:07 pm

Isn't this like the third thread on this this year?

In my honest opinion, the U.S. is going to fracture if it keeps going on its current trajectory, but it won't happen anytime soon. If it does happen, it'll most likely occur somewhere in the 2040s.

Oh and yes, practically every state would be screwed if the U.S. fractures, so it's not something to salivate over.
Last edited by Southland on Mon May 15, 2023 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disserbia wrote:swaziland on acid and jesus

Ealdracaland wrote:I get a weird vibe from the sun on the flag. It feels like it's looking at me with malicious intent.
Verkhoyanska wrote:Condemn for having that creepy looking sun in your flag. IT'S STARING INTO MY SOUL.

Reloviskistan wrote:Unrelated: AN's flag looks like a mural on the wall of a Mexican restaurant

Valehart wrote:That flag's face is high on something that's illegal in most countries

Spiritkin Village wrote:Banned for you constantly implying you got all this lore, yet have no factbooks. Like at this point it is just a tease.
Novaya Tselinoyarsk wrote:In defiance everyone should go on protest with a Big Gulp.

(Image)

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Mon May 15, 2023 3:13 pm

Because the thing the minorities of the South need is for extremist Republicans to be given unrestricted control over them. Just how the rural conservatives and homeless people of the west coast need extremist Democrats, Native Americans in the Great Plains need... I think y'all get the point. Not to mention the fact most states are not economically viable. Most states receive more from congress than they give, and the majority of states (Midwestern/Mountain states) would inevitably be forced into unions with other states as they simply do not have the infrastructure or geography to facilitate large-scale foreign trade. And this is important because the US exports a lot of food. Millions could starve both within the ex-country as competing interests and geography fucks over interior states and trade wars fuck over entire countries as many import upwards of a fourth of their food with the United States (Japan, a country of 100 million, imports 25%).

Americans are much, much better off with an America and the only people who would benefit from Balkanization (within the US) are people like Newsom and De Santis. Who, surprisingly, are politicians - not regular people.

I usually don't go on NSG, but this rhetoric really, really annoys me as someone who knows more about logistics than your average HOI4ologist.
Last edited by Hammer Britannia on Mon May 15, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All shall tremble before me

Morozistan
Secretary

Founded: Aug 13, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Morozistan » Mon May 15, 2023 3:16 pm

If this happened similar states would most likely form coalitions with others, such as the South, New England, the Cascadia region, etc. I doubt every state would stay independent for long.
Classified as a Tier 7, Level 2, Type 5 civilization.

☭"Liberty is being free from oppressive restriction or control. To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedoms of others. It is not something to just be given, every right you claim for yourself must be given to your brother also."☭

The Greater sussian reich
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 27, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater sussian reich » Mon May 15, 2023 3:20 pm

theres likely not gonna be a "boogaloo" most likely scenario is the constitution being ditched for one that gives the states a bit more power

Rary
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2018

Postby Rary » Mon May 15, 2023 3:21 pm

No.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon May 15, 2023 4:28 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Kernen wrote:To be fair, the idea of armed conflict with Massachusetts does sound like fun...

Just because they don't know how to drive is no reason to blow them up.

An acceptable reason to blow them up is "they are Massachusetts."

Arbitrary hatred is tons of fun.
Last edited by Kernen on Mon May 15, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

The Grand Fifth Imperium
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 11, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Fifth Imperium » Mon May 15, 2023 4:29 pm

Balkanization... is it time?
No.
Would it be a good idea?
No.
Should we eat chicken sandwiches?
N–Yes!

Anyways, the whole idea of breaking apart the US is ludicrous. To take a quote from NS Elects the POTUS: "Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!—Daniel Webster, Senator of Massachusetts.
•I'm here primarily for the issues, although I like posting in General because Waffles truly are better than Pancakes.
NationStates hosts a Constitutional Convention
•On September 27, 2023 the United States declared independence from China.
•"Anyone who tells a lie has not a pure heart, and cannot make a good soup."— L. van Beethoven
•"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a foolish man speaks because he has to say something."—Plato
•Eight you're great; nine your mine.

El Lazaro
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 19, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby El Lazaro » Mon May 15, 2023 4:31 pm

Duncaq wrote:
Hispida wrote:actually, i was radicalized by biden.

Isn't that akin to being radicalized by a damp sheep? Or radicalized by Liz Truss?! I mean, I can't think of anyone *less* radical than Joe Biden

I mean, I’m pretty sure Liz Truss has radicalized some people, just not intentionally. The Tories and Labour have since shifted strongly to the right relative to where they were before the Truss disaster, and there seems to be a growing number who see both parties as unacceptable as shown by third party polling and the local elections.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General