NATION

PASSWORD

Is America headed for another Civil War?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is America headed for a second civil war?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:59 am

1. Yes, and I'm afraid for the future.
20%
2. Yes, and I'm eager for it.
14%
3. No, and I would be horrified if it happened.
46%
4. No, but I really think that it would be helpful.
7%
5. Not sure.
12%

Total votes : 237

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:24 pm

No, it's political fantasy, unless something completely unpredictable happens.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

Frisemark
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 07, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Frisemark » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:28 pm

Anyone who thinks America is headed for Civil War doesn't understand civil wars nor America.
The Kingdom of Frisemark
"From this day forward, I shall take up all the empire in my embrace. For I am father of the empire, as I am father to all creation. I will suffer no tired institution nor petty bureaucrat to stand between me and my children. I am the perfect loving god, and all will tremble to know me."
Denmark and the Netherlands had a kid, and it loves the color blue.
This nation is largely for me to autofellate many of my personal views.

Clinton Foundation deep cover agent and George Soros' loyal Jewish Space Laser operator. IRS Supersoldier. Card carrying DNC member.

Book List

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:53 pm

Milk Island wrote:Trump will stop any of this civil war nonsense

He's the dipshit trying to start one.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Technoscience Leftwing
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 24, 2019
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Technoscience Leftwing » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:27 am

I do not live in America, but I look from the outside - and one gets the impression that two groups of the monopoly bourgeoisie are competing there.

One group finances conservatives and republicans using typical right-wing ideology: traditionalism, religion, conservatism, patriarchal family, some supremacy of white male Anglo-Saxon Christians. On the extreme flank, this ideology turns into fascism, for me it is unacceptable.

The second group finances modernists and democrats who claim to be leftist. They seem to aim at the emancipation of women and minorities who were once oppressed. The idea itself is good, but here all the subtlety is in the implementation details. Often, they "protect" minorities in ways that maintain minorities' isolation and public dislike to them. They can plant hypocrisy under the guise of "protecting women from objectification"; call on the poor to tighten their belts under the guise of "protection of the environment"; erase historical evidence of slavery and colonialism from old books under the pretext of their offensiveness and politically incorrectness (as a result, after erasing this evidence from culture, the rightwings will be able to claim that slavery never existed: the traces have been erased!). In addition, they replace the important with the secondary: all over the world, the poor suffer from poverty, homelessness, hunger, wars and repression, and these false lefts highlight some terminological games and unimportant issues, distracting the masses from the main thing. They dictate what terms to use in social networks. According to the principle of "divide and rule" they divide the poor into conflicting groups of ethnic and subcultural minorities, without eliminating their poverty, but placing the bourgeois state over them as an arbiter. They try to keep the backward elements in the cultures brought in by migrants from a more backward base than they push the society in backwardness. Instead of voluntary assimilation of cultures, they nurture and cherish backward features, otherness as an end in itself ("Let's protect the dying culture of Papua cannibals!")

The flags of the two groups are different, but the result is similar, and behind both groups of the monopoly bourgeoisie. Well, let's say they fight, and call it the Civil War. But it will be a fight between rival clans of billionaires, and nothing more. Now, if there was a Civil War between the project of universal happiness and progress, and universal suffering and backwardness, then it would at least be clear who to support in it. In the meantime, there is just a squabble of clans.

P.S. Sorry that I, not being an American, allow myself to get into your affairs - this is just an assessment of a foreigner.
* TLC Factbook
* Goal: increase comfort, technical capabilities and knowledge for most people.
* Pro: technicalism, social equality, cosmopolitanism, scientific atheism, revolutionism, emancipation.
* Contra: technophobia, reactionary despotism, nationalism, religion, ascetic regulation, traditionalism, patriarchality.
* Real location: Russia. Sorry for mistakes in English. Всем салют!

United States Reborn
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 05, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby United States Reborn » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:40 am

Port Caverton wrote:
United States Reborn wrote:My signature makes my position clear.

Why do you want regime change in the US

To replace the government with one which represents my views.

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Port Caverton wrote:Why do you want regime change in the US

It's the edgiest thing he could think of?

Not everyone who disagrees with your lukewarm, cheery political views is doing it to be edgy.

The Rio Grande River Basin wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:It's the edgiest thing he could think of?

It’s USR. He supports... the Taliban

Oh? I'm not aware that I support the Taliban.

What you might be referring to is where I stated the fact that is that the Taliban are the governing force of Afghanistan, and that it would be in everyone's best interest to attempt to cooperate with them rather than spark another bloody war to overthrow them.
Last edited by United States Reborn on Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better to force morality on others than have immorality forced upon me

Port Caverton
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 01, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Port Caverton » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:03 am

United States Reborn wrote:
Port Caverton wrote:Why do you want regime change in the US

To replace the government with one which represents my views.

But people don't want paleoconservatism. Otherwise they wouldn't have voted for Biden.
"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

United States Reborn
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Reborn » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:12 am

Port Caverton wrote:
United States Reborn wrote:To replace the government with one which represents my views.

But people don't want paleoconservatism. Otherwise they wouldn't have voted for Biden.

About half of the people would be fine with it.

The other half, I really could not care less about.

Rakhalia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Rakhalia » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:15 am

I don't think America's heading for a civil war, but definitely increased levels of political violence. By all means, I do hope that the situation escalates to a point that the government ruptures and people are allowed a chance to fend for themselves -- if the Union maintains the course it's going now, it'll start exacting genocide on a helpless population. In fact, it's already beginning.
I have no doubt that the revolution will triumph. The people of the world will prevail,
seize power, seize the means of production, wipe out racism, capitalism.

Huey P. Newton

She / Her

Port Caverton
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Port Caverton » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:16 am

Port Caverton wrote:But people don't want paleoconservatism. Otherwise they wouldn't have voted for Biden.

No they wouldn't. Most people don't support paleoconservative ideals.

So you don't care about what the people want?
"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

United States Reborn
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Reborn » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:22 am

Port Caverton wrote:
United States Reborn wrote:About half of the people would be fine with it.

No they wouldn't. Most people don't support paleoconservative ideals.

I don't care about the other half.

Redwood Ridge
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 21, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Redwood Ridge » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:24 am

Nope.

Port Caverton
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Port Caverton » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:25 am

Port Caverton wrote:No they wouldn't. Most people don't support paleoconservative ideals.

No they wouldn't. You would already lose more than 50% of people on the free trade issue. You just want a paleocon Dictatorship.

United States Reborn
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Reborn » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:32 am

Port Caverton wrote:

No they wouldn't. You would already lose more than 50% of people on the free trade issue. You just want a paleocon Dictatorship.

Correct, I'd also be fine with a Trump dictatorship, as would Republican voters.

Rakhalia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Rakhalia » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:33 am

Port Caverton wrote:No they wouldn't. You would already lose more than 50% of people on the free trade issue. You just want a paleocon Dictatorship.

Correct, I'd also be fine with a Trump dictatorship, as would Republican voters.

>trump dictatorship
>lasts two years because all the big macs gave him a heart attack
I have no doubt that the revolution will triumph. The people of the world will prevail,
seize power, seize the means of production, wipe out racism, capitalism.

Huey P. Newton

She / Her

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009

Postby Neu California » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:33 am

Port Caverton wrote:No they wouldn't. Most people don't support paleoconservative ideals.

And when that other half is a larger half, you decide to throw America's long held belief in democracy within its borders out just because they disagree with you.

Yep, that's totally something that a believer in truth, justice and the American way would advocate for, replacing justice with authoritarian attacks on freedom and throwing out the American way of doing things going on 250 years. :roll:
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

United States Reborn
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Reborn » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:33 am

Rakhalia wrote:
United States Reborn wrote:Correct, I'd also be fine with a Trump dictatorship, as would Republican voters.

>trump dictatorship
>lasts two years because all the big macs gave him a heart attack

I can't argue with this.

United States Reborn
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Reborn » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:36 am

Neu California wrote:

And when that other half is a larger half, you decide to throw America's long held belief in democracy within its borders out just because they disagree with you.

Yep, that's totally something that a believer in truth, justice and the American way would advocate for, replacing justice with authoritarian attacks on freedom and throwing out the American way of doing things going on 250 years. :roll:

So?

It's not attacks on freedom. It's attacks on the kind of people who had no issue with the BLM riots, vilified a 17 y.o. for defending himself and condemned federal police for arresting people for committing federal crimes.

Indecent Anime Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 21, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Indecent Anime Empire » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:43 am

In all reality, there are people who come up with thrifty ideas and people who do things despite it being "wrong"(aka protesting for things, aiding movements of change, Stock piling goods or services to enrich other's lives in real ways(not just dropping your change in a bucket at mcdonalds)) . No matter if you are a left-winger but ara a thrifty idea person or right wing thrifter you will be on a lower pole than the left or right winger who does something when they are told not to. In the end there is a turmoil in the current midst of life we are all wading through, Both sides are seeing this and neither are the absolute cause or seeing a complete despair in their agendas.(aka birth control issues/abortion issues which are being protected and ripped away in almost equal number.)

Despite this, people will point fingers instead of trying to use their time and energy for more productive solutions such as helping a neighbor even if they are a right wing pig of the state or leftist scum of the earth; who cares? You both are struggling, and if you aren't then do something that doesn't start the next civil war. Have you tried gardening? It might come in handy when the food shelves are empty because trucks can't deliver to your local food store.
Lurking could be a sport…

I also will never finish my fact book.

Tangatarehua
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2021
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tangatarehua » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:45 am

I don't it's very likely, though the likelihood now is probably higher than at any point since the 1960s (and before that, the 1860s). I'd give it maybe a 10% chance.

I suspect that if America continues on its current trajectory then a civil war or the balkanisation of the United States could occur by the end of the 21st century. However the arrival of a common enemy who poses a serious threat (such as a certain country whose name rhymes with "Dinah") could be enough to keep the US hobbling along until someone figures out a way to detoxify politics.
The Empire of Tangatarehua/Te Rangatiratanga o Tangatarehua
Factbook | Constitution | History | Embassies | You know you're from Tangatarehua when... | Q&A | Tangatarehua: All Endings | Faces of Tangatarehua

18 March 2024
News: Popular author Ariki Rawhiti Rakau dies aged 58 | Conservative MP says children should be banned from purchasing alcohol | Unemployment rises while interest rates continue to climb | Weather: Tamaki  ☁ 24°C | Whakaara ☀ 16°C | Wharekorana ☀ 17°C | Kaiika ☁ϟ☁ 28°C | Kotiropai ☂⛆ 21°C | Rakipa ☀ 27°C |  Kaitohura ☀ 18°C

NS stats should be taken with a grain of salt completely ignored. Please consult factbooks instead.

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:49 am

Neu California wrote:And when that other half is a larger half, you decide to throw America's long held belief in democracy within its borders out just because they disagree with you.

So?

It's not attacks on freedom. It's attacks on the kind of people who had no issue with the BLM riots, vilified a 17 y.o. for defending himself and condemned federal police for arresting people for committing federal crimes.

And defense of those who wanted to overthrow the government on 1/6, vilify women for daring to get pregnant and not even give them medical care if they're dying, and could care less if black people are disproportionately killed by police.

Oh, and are responsible for most of the terrorism in the states, and BLM distanced itself from the 7% of protests that became riots, and as far as I know, most left-wing figures condemned said riots but not the protests.
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
He/him
Aspie and proud

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

United States Reborn
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Reborn » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:09 am

Neu California wrote:And defense of those who wanted to overthrow the government on 1/6

I won't state anything here, because whatever I want to say is against the rules, but you know my feelings on this.

vilify women for daring to get pregnant

Women should be vilified for getting pregnant if it isn't with a husband or long-term romantic partner.

and not even give them medical care if they're dying

Well that was never on the table.

and could care less if black people are disproportionately killed by police.

Whites are killed disproportionately by blacks. As are Asians.

Oh, and are responsible for most of the terrorism in the states, and BLM distanced itself from the 7% of protests that became riots, and as far as I know, most left-wing figures condemned said riots but not the protests.

They had more of an issue with Trump than they did with violent rioters, and what was all that nonsense where people were donating to bail out the arrested rioters?

And then condemning federal forces for enforcing laws against federal crimes?

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:19 am

Neu California wrote:And defense of those who wanted to overthrow the government on 1/6

I won't state anything here, because whatever I want to say is against the rules, but you know my feelings on this.

And your opinion is horrific.

vilify women for daring to get pregnant

Women should be vilified for getting pregnant if it isn't with a husband or long-term romantic partner.

Even if its from, say, rape?

and not even give them medical care if they're dying[/quote]
Well that was never on the table.[/quote]

But it is the undeniable reality in places like Texas. source

and could care less if black people are disproportionately killed by police.

Whites are killed disproportionately by blacks. As are Asians.

1. Citation needed
2. Has nothing to with my point

They had more of an issue with Trump than they did with violent rioters, and what was all that nonsense where people were donating to bail out the arrested rioters?

And then condemning federal forces for enforcing laws against federal crimes?

Yes, they had more of an issue with "fine people on both sides" Trump defending fucking neo-nazis than they did with people lashing out in frustration. And was the main blk organization posting bail? Do you have a source?

As to the last part, what are you referring to? (Plus I can think of cases where it was fully justified imo, like enforcement of the Fugitive Slave Act)
He/him
Aspie and proud

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:31 am

Neu California wrote:As to the last part, what are you referring to? (Plus I can think of cases where it was fully justified imo, like enforcement of the Fugitive Slave Act)

I believe that's how right wingers talk about the people in Portland who were snatched off the streets by unidentified men and thrown into unmarked vans and taken to undisclosed locations to be detained and questioned without access to a lawyer. Lots of people have suggested that this is some fucked up secret police shit, to which Trump's people have insisted that there was nothing at all illegal happening, just legitimate arrests.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

United States Reborn
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Reborn » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:38 am

Neu California wrote:And your opinion is horrific.

My opinion is Cool and Based™

Even if its from, say, rape?

No.

But it is the undeniable reality in places like Texas.

The law should be better defined.

1. Citation needed
2. Has nothing to with my point

Citation isn't needed, it's common knowledge that this is the case, as evidenced by your sides age-old retortion of "well it's caused by the socio-economic situation".

Yes, they had more of an issue with "fine people on both sides" Trump defending fucking neo-nazis than they did with people lashing out in frustration

That's my point, you're making attempts to justify the riots, and that's what the majority of democrats would do, and if they didn't they'd have no issue with it because "screw trump!!".

And was the main blk organization posting bail? Do you have a source?

Yep, they probably were. Bidens staff even did it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minn ... SKBN2360SZ

As to the last part, what are you referring to?

The time where people were shrieking in terror when Trump deployed federal forces to arrest vandalizers of federal monuments and courthouses.

Exarkyon
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 03, 2023
Democratic Socialists

Postby Exarkyon » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:44 am

I do not think so.

I heartily detest the current division our two-party system of partisanship causes, but I do not think it is able to cause a civil war. The sides are not divided into separate areas/economies; they are too interdependent for an armed conflict to be very sustainable.

As for the demographic thing, I think it sounds quite politically-charged. (Note: I am an Asian male, Catholic, not Protestant, and not a nationalist.) I fail to see a reason for the most powerful demographic to want to start a civil war. They have everything to lose and nothing to gain. Maybe fringe elements would like one, but there are simply not enough who want that for it to work.

DISCLAIMER: I also disapprove of a lot of right-wing politics; I specifically address left-wing politics here because that is what I perceive in the claim OP referenced.
Official information about Exarkyon can be found here.
Hierarchy of canon:
[https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1967571]This Dispatch[/url] > Other Dispatches > Forum posts
Anything is canon unless contradicted by something higher up.

Pro: American Solidarity Party, Catholicism, Distributism, Communitarianism, The Environment, Freedom of Religion, Labor Unions, Science
Anti: Abortion, Anarchy, Communism, Fascism, Individualism, Laissez-faire Capitalism, Nationalism

GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General