NATION

PASSWORD

Can society move away from car based infrastructure?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Indecent Anime Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 21, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Indecent Anime Empire » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:44 am

Kepler Technate wrote:My solution is you shall never interfere in their personal liberties. If you are doing this. Well , then you are an authoritarian person without understanding your political principles.

Absolutely disgraceful

You have a point but then again we as a society have already set a dead line for gas power cars to be banned by certain dates in a number of countries. Your car will be a past mechanism for society eventually.

I think taking the time to look at how modern day cars can be made to be specialized and not focus on the individual but varied situational output will promise a more successful mode of transportation and future. I am not saying get rid of all cars, just to clarify as I've had to say again and again though.
Lurking could be a sport…

I also will never finish my fact book.

Sakamaki Izayoi
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 17, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Sakamaki Izayoi » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:02 am

In the short run, no. There is so much car based infrastructure that to remove cars when the base of society already relies heavily on cars would be so difficult that it would have a barrage of political and geographic conflicts to one construct and two enforce the use of mass transit.

That said a transition over a longer period of time would be more manageable, people do need to worry about the climate because its getting crazy outside.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:08 pm

Indecent Anime Empire wrote:
Kepler Technate wrote:My solution is you shall never interfere in their personal liberties. If you are doing this. Well , then you are an authoritarian person without understanding your political principles.

Absolutely disgraceful

You have a point but then again we as a society have already set a dead line for gas power cars to be banned by certain dates in a number of countries. Your car will be a past mechanism for society eventually.

I think taking the time to look at how modern day cars can be made to be specialized and not focus on the individual but varied situational output will promise a more successful mode of transportation and future. I am not saying get rid of all cars, just to clarify as I've had to say again and again though.

I don't think we should treat these "deadlines" as hard deadlines and get our hopes up.

I definitely feel we should be setting and aiming for high goals, but I don't think we'll ever get there...and I kinda feel that should be the point. It's like telling your brother dinner begins at 7PM when you know he's always an hour late. So you just tell him dinner starts at 6, he'll be there at 7.

Holy Bazadaco
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 05, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Bazadaco » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:11 am

Sakamaki Izayoi wrote:In the short run, no. There is so much car based infrastructure that to remove cars when the base of society already relies heavily on cars would be so difficult that it would have a barrage of political and geographic conflicts to one construct and two enforce the use of mass transit.

That said a transition over a longer period of time would be more manageable, people do need to worry about the climate because its getting crazy outside.

Agree. Unless there are some sort of new way of transportation yeah. Pretty much everything relies on car transportation at some rate(delivery of goods/materials, transportation of people, etc).
Would take huge amount of innovation that is not only more reliable but also somehow takes less expences in a long run so it is "worth" to rebuild entire infrastructure around it.
The closest I've seen to "low car" city was Copenhagen - a lot of people walking/riding a bike on top of well-developed subway system. Personally I'm mostly using bike myself(and running to keep myself in shape, even participating in local running events by Rununited) but it's still almost impossible to avoid using car here in Tx.
Last edited by Holy Bazadaco on Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edush
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 05, 2023
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Edush » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:37 am

I definitely think we, as a society, can move away from car based infrastructure. Cars do way more damage than they seem to, not only relating to pollution and the such. People really only use cars and we have such an advanced infrastructure for them because they are a private form of transportation and people prefer being alone/choosing who they take inside their car rather than using mass transit and sitting next to strangers. That's all, really. We should all understand that we need to sacrifice a little bit of our personal comfort to advance as a society.
The Cyberstate of Edush
Unity, Discipline, Work
Overview | Map | History | Cats
News: Not much, really...

Indecent Anime Empire
Spokesperson

New York Times Democracy

Postby Indecent Anime Empire » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:42 am

If we had the technology to move to another home world, prior to having fixed our current car fixations, do you feel we would be able to adopt a mass transit system after the initial set up of civilization on the new world?

OR would we continue to rely on personal vehicles despite its down fall in our current era?

Edush
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Edush » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:44 am

Absolutely disgraceful

When by using a car you are indirectly contributing to the creation of worse cities and, eventually, a worse life for everyone in your community, then using a car is not really a personal liberty. It's a tool that makes your life seem easier but really does the opposite, and not only for you.
Last edited by Edush on Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Cyberstate of Edush
Unity, Discipline, Work

Edush
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Edush » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:48 am

Indecent Anime Empire wrote:If we had the technology to move to another home world, prior to having fixed our current car fixations, do you feel we would be able to adopt a mass transit system after the initial set up of civilization on the new world?

OR would we continue to rely on personal vehicles despite its down fall in our current era?

I really, really hope if that happened we would actually adopt a mass transit system. But, with the crucial place cars have in every one of our minds when it comes to transportation, I'm afraid humanity won't choose mass transit in that scenario.
The Cyberstate of Edush
Unity, Discipline, Work

Indecent Anime Empire
Spokesperson

New York Times Democracy

Postby Indecent Anime Empire » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:14 am

Esternial wrote:

I don't think we should treat these "deadlines" as hard deadlines and get our hopes up.

I definitely feel we should be setting and aiming for high goals, but I don't think we'll ever get there...and I kinda feel that should be the point. It's like telling your brother dinner begins at 7PM when you know he's always an hour late. So you just tell him dinner starts at 6, he'll be there at 7.

True but it is set at the very least, which is why I used words like eventually. I do think we need to double down on focus to push for other energy sources than lithium and coal. batteries are nice until you see where they come from.

Edush wrote:
Indecent Anime Empire wrote:If we had the technology to move to another home world, prior to having fixed our current car fixations, do you feel we would be able to adopt a mass transit system after the initial set up of civilization on the new world?

I really, really hope if that happened we would actually adopt a mass transit system. But, with the crucial place cars have in every one of our minds when it comes to transportation, I'm afraid humanity won't choose mass transit in that scenario.

Just a note for next time but if you want to comment on two separate posts, just edit your last post after copying the quote of the post you want to comment on.

Also I can see this, humans have a problem with carrying out plans in the long run. much greed pushes our species despite that greed pushing our society to fill every ecological niche(more like invading and creating niches for ourselves). If we all had longer life spans and less children we would all think more long term by the time we were like 70 and more people wouldn't have the need to push for individualism over a community driven society.
Last edited by Indecent Anime Empire on Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edush
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Edush » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:35 am

Edush wrote:I really, really hope if that happened we would actually adopt a mass transit system. But, with the crucial place cars have in every one of our minds when it comes to transportation, I'm afraid humanity won't choose mass transit in that scenario.

Just a note for next time but if you want to comment on two separate posts, just edit your last post after copying the quote of the post you want to comment on.

Also I can see this, humans have a problem with carrying out plans in the long run. much greed pushes our species despite that greed pushing our society to fill every ecological niche(more like invading and creating niches for ourselves). If we all had longer life spans and less children we would all think more long term by the time we were like 70 and more people wouldn't have the need to push for individualism over a community driven society.

Thanks for your note! Sorry for my mistake, next time I'll do what you said.

Also, your opinion is on point, really liked it. But I still think that we shouldn't let ourselves be complete nihilists. We should always strive for a better society and community we live in, regardless of our human condition. Our greatest achievements as a species were done, after all, by pushing limits and not caring about our limitations.
The Cyberstate of Edush
Unity, Discipline, Work

Jellian Federation
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 11, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Jellian Federation » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:24 pm

In some places, like rural farm land, cars are perfect,
In other places, like cities, the switch is long over due,
And in yet others, like the suburbs, the place was built for cars but it’s not really working out.

So to answer your question, yes we can, and in many places we should, but don’t count out cars completely just yet.
I live the edgy life, I pour the milk first.

Edush
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Edush » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:33 am

Jellian Federation wrote:In some places, like rural farm land, cars are perfect,
In other places, like cities, the switch is long over due,
And in yet others, like the suburbs, the place was built for cars but it’s not really working out.

So to answer your question, yes we can, and in many places we should, but don’t count out cars completely just yet.

Your answer is very accurate. I still believe, though, that if we start transitioning away from cars today, we could in 50 years or who knows how much time eventually fully replace cars with forms of public transport.
The Cyberstate of Edush
Unity, Discipline, Work

Elvectica
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 11, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Elvectica » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:21 am

Personally the “personal liberties” argument falls flat on its face because in car-centric nations like the US and Canada, you are literally trapped and confined unless you have a personal automobile.

These societies place an enormous burden on those who cannot afford one, or those who cannot drive. Think of how as a kid in suburbia, you are reliant on your parents for basic transportation until the driving age, and even then many find it impossible to buy their own at that age. Also think about how you feel whenever you’re stuck in traffic, or you need to leave an hour or more to get to work to avoid standstill traffic.

Better public transportation as an alternative mean erasing that burden for many, and increases convenience for commuters. And I’m saying this as a car person. (Less people on cars means less traffic for us hehe)

Edit: not to mention that nowadays, cars are priced like luxury items yet they are a basic requirement for livability and comfort. The average price of a new car let alone an electric car is unobtainium for the vast majority of people
Last edited by Elvectica on Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
.....▻ MAY HER HOLY IMPERIAL MAJESTY LIVE A THOUSAND LIVES ! ◅ .....

THE COMPLETE DOSSIERSA DEFINITIVE OVERVIEWHER HOLY IMPERIAL DIVINENESS
RP Info (TVTropes Guide to Etherea)

Greater Granskiye
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 13, 2023
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Greater Granskiye » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:43 am

Yeah, they sure can. Now, no one can really get rid of cars alltogether, some areas are simply too rural to efficiently replace Cars with Buses, Trains and Trams and some may not want to use Public transport for various reasons.
To move away from Car dependent infrastructure you first have to design Cities with that in mind, for convenience for the Commuters, efficiency and Cost savings. Having multiple hubs of Subway, Bus, Trains and Tram will certainly help motivate people to use Puplic transport and leave their car at home, or even not buy one at all.

You can ban cars, or certain vehicle types (SUV, Pickups, anything too large for small roads) once you have a solid infrastructure build around Walking,biking and Public transport. If there are alternatives to cars, many will take them.

You have to start with the planning and developing the cities, then you can expand further outside towards smaller Cities and towns, a train connection here, a Bus route there, maybe some Hubs in major cities to Streamline the Connections.

It's not that hard, you just have to start. The truth is, European cities already do a good job of this, if they develop further around Public transport they may actually be able to get rid of cars, at least in major Cities.

Edit: spelling
Last edited by Greater Granskiye on Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
^Holds Stock in Rheinmetall, Airbus, Boeing, General Dynamics and Lockheed.^
"The Military Industrial Complex and it's consequences on world Peace."

Nar Van
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 20, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Nar Van » Wed May 17, 2023 7:30 am

bump

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General